arron_afflalo.png
avery_bradley.png

jose_calderon.png
isaiah_thomas.png
]

Injury Report

New York Knicks
Boston Celtics
-Marcus Smart - Lower left leg injury (QUEST)
-David Lee - Sore lower back(QUEST)

Game Preview

The Boston Celtics are on the verge of their first four-game win streak thanks to balanced scoring.

They figure to represent a major challenge for a visiting New York Knicks team that has struggled against winning teams, yet is unbeaten against Atlantic Division rivals heading into Sunday night's first matchup of the season.

Boston (17-13) has won three straight for the second time, showcasing its depth of talent on each occasion. Six Celtics scored in double digits in Monday's 113-99 win over Minnesota, five reached that plateau two nights later in a 102-89 victory at Charlotte and six more scored at least 10 in Saturday's 99-93 win at Detroit.

The Celtics seemed on course for a third straight double-digit win as they led by as many as 16 points against the Pistons, who used a 32-point fourth quarter to make a late push.

"We were lucky to hold on in some ways, but we put ourselves in a great position," coach Brad Stevens said.

Avery Bradley has turned in back-to-back 18-point performances with Isaiah Thomas totaling 35 points in those games. Jae Crowder had 11 points and seven rebounds Saturday after posting three straight double-doubles.

The Celtics' rotation could go deeper Sunday since Marcus Smart might return from an 18-game absence due to a left leg injury. Former Knicks forward David Lee sat out Saturday due to back spasms.

Boston is one of the league's most unselfish teams with 24.3 assists per game.

New York, in contrast, is in the bottom third of the league in that department with an average of 20.3. The Knicks (14-17) had 19 assists and scored 63 points to lead by three at halftime Saturday before managing six assists and shooting 30.0 percent the rest of the way in a 117-98 defeat at Atlanta.

"I think we're still having some growing pains with understanding that the game is easier for us when we have 19 assists in a half, not six," coach Derek Fisher said. "So we just have to continue to trust that even when games aren't going well, it's actually still ball movement and the player movement and selflessness that will get you back into a game."

The Knicks fell to 5-13 against teams with winning records. They are 4-0 against Atlantic foes, with three wins against lowly Brooklyn and Philadelphia.

"Our record is what it says we are at this point," Fisher said.

Carmelo Anthony returned to the lineup with 18 points and 12 rebounds after missing one game with a sprained right ankle. No other New York player scored more than 12.

Rookie Kristaps Porzingis has sandwiched nine-point performances around a 23-point, 13-rebound effort in his last three games.

Starting center Robin Lopez, who had nine points and four rebounds Saturday, didn't return after leaving in the third quarter with blood coming from a cut above his right eye.

"Robin was available to come back in if we needed him so we'll hopefully have him tomorrow night as we get ready to play Boston," Fisher said.

The Knicks lost the final three of four meetings with the Celtics last season. Boston is 4-2 in the second half of back-to-back sets and New York is 2-4.

(nba.com)

tiger0330

Legend
Must win game otherwise we have a 4 game losing streak against these conference rivals and drop to 4 below .500 losing ground for any possible playoff spot.

The Celts are the 4th best team in the NBA according to the SRS, Simple Rating System that factors in strength of schedule, this is going to be a tough game. We have to use our size but the Celts are very good at passing the rock which is going to give our perimeter D fits.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Must win game otherwise we have a 4 game losing streak against these conference rivals and drop to 4 below .500 losing ground for any possible playoff spot.

The Celts are the 4th best team in the NBA according to the SRS, Simple Rating System that factors in strength of schedule, this is going to be a tough game. We have to use our size but the Celts are very good at passing the rock which is going to give our perimeter D fits.

WE PLAYED HORRIBLY in quarter one .. know its a back to back but this team is going down hill with VELOCITY....depressing.

mafra

Legend
27-4 so far... Bos Guards vs NYK Guards... 2 minutes to go in first half... 47-33. We scored 35 in second half last night... Yikes. Again, I say it often... Will keep saying it... Impossible to compete with our guard rotation of Calderon-Affalo-Galloway-Grant-Sasha. Maybe Affalo is the 4th Guard on most NBA teams... The other 4 guys probably not even roster worthy...

DrB

Benchwarmer
27-4 so far... Bos Guards vs NYK Guards... 2 minutes to go in first half... 47-33. We scored 35 in second half last night... Yikes. Again, I say it often... Will keep saying it... Impossible to compete with our guard rotation of Calderon-Affalo-Galloway-Grant-Sasha. Maybe Affalo is the 4th Guard on most NBA teams... The other 4 guys probably not even roster worthy...
AS USUAL YOU NAILED IT MAFRA my friend....51-41 with .06 in the half.

mafra

Legend
AS USUAL YOU NAILED IT MAFRA my friend....51-41 with .06 in the half.

In a guard-driven league... NYK received 6 points and 2 assists total, combined stats from their entire collection of guards in the first half... Yikes.

I think we find out about Melo now. Heard on NBA Radio (Isola with Lawtence) that Melo is happy... Playing well enough and the team is around .500 and he wants to stay in NY. So, if being bow avg to above mediocre is good enough for Melo... Winning is way down his list of priorities... Then we are stuck with him. Melo is playing well enough that some contender would probably roll the dice and mortgage something to obtain him.... Going to be fascinating to see his move...

I say this bc I truly believe NYK will be out of contention by trade deadline... Probably will be 10-15 games under .500 by Feb. so, trading for PG help is mute bc it won't matter by then..

Would Melo be cool with 30 wins...
Hoping for free agent help... 38 wins next year... And maybe... Maybe the year after that be good enough to be at the level we were in 2013?

If I was Melo... I would beg Phil to trade me.

mafra

Legend
Melo passes to Galloway on the break, who then misses an easy layup. Still amazes me that people fault Melo for not passing more... His guards suck... Why bother.

Ref then ignores a blatant we on Turner. Amazing.

Broadway

All Star
In a guard-driven league... NYK received 6 points and 2 assists total, combined stats from their entire collection of guards in the first half... Yikes.

I think we find out about Melo now. Heard on NBA Radio (Isola with Lawtence) that Melo is happy... Playing well enough and the team is around .500 and he wants to stay in NY. So, if being bow avg to above mediocre is good enough for Melo... Winning is way down his list of priorities... Then we are stuck with him. Melo is playing well enough that some contender would probably roll the dice and mortgage something to obtain him.... Going to be fascinating to see his move...

I say this bc I truly believe NYK will be out of contention by trade deadline... Probably will be 10-15 games under .500 by Feb. so, trading for PG help is mute bc it won't matter by then..

Would Melo be cool with 30 wins...
Hoping for free agent help... 38 wins next year... And maybe... Maybe the year after that be good enough to be at the level we were in 2013?

If I was Melo... I would beg Phil to trade me.

While this falls at the hands of Phil as he had an out this summer...ultimately the reason this team has suffered long term effects of suckiness is due to Melo's presence in our organization to begin with. We've never recovered since trading for him. We've been a sub .500 team since his arrival, he occupies essentially 2 positions on the court small forward and forward, his salary is disgusting, he doesn't play defense night-in and night-out, has the worst leadership skills maybe in all of sports.

Other than this once again this is all on Phil. If it makes fans happy Melo can be absolved this yr, go for whacking it. It's like fans sleep easy at night knowing Melo got his and rather vent elsewhere. From his 13yr career this is probably the only yr he's shown a pulse of playing relatively consistent team ball...maybe 2008-2009 season. That's not saying much at all.

Fisher is trash too btw. Only player prospering under Fisher is Thomas, which is pathetic. We're not any good...NEVER WERE

tiger0330

Legend
It's just not the guards, the whole team is just a bunch of role players along with a mediocre coach.

It took a while but what the pundits said about the team that they were no better than a 28 win team is looking like the right call.

Broadway

All Star
It's just not the guards, the whole team is just a bunch of role players along with a mediocre coach.

It took a while but what the pundits said about the team that they were no better than a 28 win team is looking like the right call.

Pretty on point Tig

tiger0330

Legend
A guard... a guard my kingdom for a guard
If the Knicks are 14-24 come Jan. 8 expect Jimmer Fredette to be called up. Sixers won their 2nd game after trading for Ish Smith so it doesn't have to necessarily be an all star to make things happen.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
While this falls at the hands of Phil as he had an out this summer...ultimately the reason this team has suffered long term effects of suckiness is due to Melo's presence in our organization to begin with. We've never recovered since trading for him. We've been a sub .500 team since his arrival, he occupies essentially 2 positions on the court small forward and forward, his salary is disgusting, he doesn't play defense night-in and night-out, has the worst leadership skills maybe in all of sports.

Other than this once again this is all on Phil. If it makes fans happy Melo can be absolved this yr, go for whacking it. It's like fans sleep easy at night knowing Melo got his and rather vent elsewhere. From his 13yr career this is probably the only yr he's shown a pulse of playing relatively consistent team ball...maybe 2008-2009 season. That's not saying much at all.

Fisher is trash too btw. Only player prospering under Fisher is Thomas, which is pathetic. We're not any good...NEVER WERE

While it cannot be denied that the Melo Erain NYC failed miserably... It cannot be overlooked that NYK were abysmal for (basically) a full decade prior to his arrival. In other words, the spoiled brat, wannabe rocker (Dolan) is the culprit. He gives us all the blues. Since he took over the running this team, they only thing we excel at is ensuring that HOF careers come here to die... One savior after another has fizzled out... Bad trade after bad trade has his fingerprints.

So, year... Melo is a variable... But the independent variable behind all our collective woes: the owner.

tiger0330

Legend
All the Knicks PG and SG's got outscored by little 5'9" Isiah Thomas in this one. The Knicks guards laid a big Zero in this one.

mafra

Legend
If the Knicks are 14-24 come Jan. 8 expect Jimmer Fredette to be called up. Sixers won their 2nd game after trading for Ish Smith so it doesn't have necessarily be an all star to make things happen.

A PG is akin to a QB or an SP... They control so much of the flow and action of a game. Modern rules amplify their importance and potential impact... Penetration & pick n roll... They are the ones who break down a defense and find the open guy and get a baller the rock in his coveted space.

Just look at Melo with Billups and Kidd... Compared to without them. If a Lowry type PG was on this team... We're a 45-55 win team.

Broadway

All Star
While it cannot be denied that the Melo Erain NYC failed miserably... It cannot be overlooked that NYK were abysmal for (basically) a full decade prior to his arrival. In other words, the spoiled brat, wannabe rocker (Dolan) is the culprit. He gives us all the blues. Since he took over the running this team, they only thing we excel at is ensuring that HOF careers come here to die... One savior after another has fizzled out... Bad trade after bad trade has his fingerprints.

So, year... Melo is a variable... But the independent variable behind all our collective woes: the owner.

Dolan did everything the fans wanted 2yrs ago hired Phil and went Ghost and yet we've been worst than we've ever been.

Even the 10yrs prior to....never came with record breaking awfulness and the needle is pointing closer in that direction again this yr. The prior 10yrs was a true lack of patience and high chaos. The past couple of yrs has literally been no direction without chaos. We're gonna see habitual turnover, no development, stunting of growth...stagnation, lots of losing. Not signing and trading Melo was the straw that broke Phil and the Knicks back again.

Dolan is performing in abandoned warehouses with a Middle After School Band, he has no clue what Phil is doing these days

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
A PG is akin to a QB or an SP... They control so much of the flow and action of a game. Modern rules amplify their importance and potential impact... Penetration & pick n roll... They are the ones who break down a defense and find the open guy and get a baller the rock in his coveted space.

Just look at Melo with Billups and Kidd... Compared to without them. If a Lowry type PG was on this team... We're a 45-55 win team.

Dollars to Donuts if we sent Jerian down to the D-League for 2 weeks I bet he could put up close to Jimmer's #s. Once again this is our problem...how come we don't know how to develop our own and we're always looking for band aids to fix a broken arm? The reason why we're in the predicament we're in now.

AND WHERE IS THS GREAT CLEANTHINAY EARLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

mafra

Legend
Remember...Ewing era was doomed when we squandered those 2 lottery picks in '85 (?)... Instead of drafting Pippen and Reggie Miller we ended up reading for two dweebs we cut within a year...

The post Ewing era doomed when we traded his expiring contract for bad contract (compounding problem with more bad grades)...

And... The last few years was doomed... Not when we dealt for Melo... But when we signed Dantoni and decided to tank for Lebron... We were right to do that but didn't adhere to the plan... We brought in aging vets on 1 year deals (Harrington, Hues, Duhon, etc).... And tries to win 20-30 games (preserve sell out streak) as opposed to enduring some hardship for the greater good...

3-4 more Ls each of those two seasons... Would have netted us Russell Westrbook and Steph Curry. Imagine Dantoni ball with those 2 guys... Instead, we win a few meaningless games bc of our veteran roster... And end up with Danillo Gallinari and Jordan Hill.

Never forget that! We loved Westbrook and Curry... But they were just a smidge out of our reach bc we didn't fully commit to tanking for LJ.

Melo? He was just plan-C... Employed bc we already failed (and thus were doomed)... Even that might have worked had we not squandered out 1 get-out-of-a-bad deal gifted to us in the new CBA... Instead, out idiot owner picks up a player option (Billups) just to amnesty him (instead of amnesty inch Amar'e bc our owner wanted to remain loyal)... The same owner who runs a gestapo and wouldn't welcome Lin back bc he felt betrayed.

mafra

Legend
Dollars to Donuts if we sent Jerian down to the D-League for 2 weeks I bet he could put up close to Jimmer's #s. Once again this is our problem...how come we don't know how to develop our own and we're always looking for band aids to fix a broken arm? The reason why we're in the predicament we're in now.

AND WHERE IS THS GREAT CLEANTHINAY EARLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Amen... Riley revamped MIA post LJ in 1 year. He signs Whiteaide and we get Langston and Lopez. Ouch.