Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Chicago Bulls 1/10/2018 [Game #41]

KP hits the 3. Only down 1 with 7.3 seconds to go. Need a quick foul and then try it again.

Mafra apparently is already walking to his car in the parking lot while Tig and I continue to watch the game.

mafra

Legend
Knicks lose 3 games to CHI by a combined 7 points or something.

Funny.... b/c CHI had 3 wins when we first met. This 6 game swing in standings is probably difference between being a buyer or seller next month; not to mention the blow to their confidence losing 3 straight games to such a bad team (missing some of its important pieces) has to completely demoralize you.

mafra

Legend
KP hits the 3. Only down 1 with 7.3 seconds to go. Need a quick foul and then try it again.

Mafra apparently is already walking to his car in the parking lot while Tig and I continue to watch the game.

There?s no chance we win this game, let alone force a third OT. This is NYK and we?ve seen this for decades.

tiger0330

Legend
Oh, man. Jack with the steal and then throws it away in transition. We?re on the ropes here.
Terrible pass, not only tossing it out of bounds but why is he passing it all 40 ft away from the basket in transition. All Beas was going to do with it is advance it another 15 ft not shoot it or create offense. As savvy as that play on the inbounds play, this was dumb.

mafra

Legend
Jack did get a nice shot off, but the next time Jack or Lee hit a shot as time expires might be their first bucket.

Our slide to ten games under continues....

tiger0330

Legend
Well we lost our 41st game this year just like last year. We lost a lot of close games last year, lets see when Tim comes back if he can turn close losses into wins this year. And bring in Trey, we could use a PG to bolster the worst set of PGs in the league. Lets see if Trey and Tim can capture some of their college glory.

mafra

Legend
CHi now 15-27
NYK are 19-22

To put things into perspective for us loyal diehards.... Bulls were 4-20 and NYK were 12-12 when they first met on December 9th....

Since then, the last month, Knicks are 7-10 while Bulls are 11-7. In other words, imagine if NYK won these 3 contests? Bulls would be 8-10 last month and Knicks would be 22-19 on the season.

Anyway, Knicks are now 9-16 vs Eastern Conference (10-6 vs dregs of West).

There?s just no way Knicks will even compete for the 8th seed.

This team is out of gas and it?s only Jan. THjr injury has killed this team, especially KPs shooting. He?s gone from 47% to 36% shooting without his ?Robyn? spacing the floor.

Knicks can?t win on the road and can?t beat teams in their own Conf. I?ll bet anybody a pizza Knicks never sniff air above .500 rest of the season.

So, while winning a game here and there is exciting.... how is drafting 9th better for our future than picking top 5?

I hope we become sellers and I would start resting KP. Only play him twice every 3 games. No sense risking injury.

mafra

Legend
If only KP was 1-4 from FT line instead of 0-4.... we win the game. But KP is tired. I can?t imagine what my coach would?ve said if I shot 6 threes when I?m 0-4 from the charity stripe.

KP should learn from MB, too often KP is too aloof on the court and just doesn?t want to work for his points. Just wants to chuck long threes. And when he does go to work, it?s often forced and predictable.

And, man.... Ntikikina was awful. Jack had a triple double yet Frank manages 1 rebound (no points, no steals) and 3 assists in almost 30 minutes of forgettable court time.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Hate to say it.... but if draft Mitchel we might have about 8 more wins? No?
The Knicks might have eight more wins with Hardaway.

Another tough loss, but the Knicks have lost a lot of close ones. If they keep getting better that's a great sign for the future. They'll start closing a lot more games.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks might have eight more wins with Hardaway.

Another tough loss, but the Knicks have lost a lot of close games. If they keep getting better that's a great sign for the future. They'll start closing a lot more games.

THJr injury a killer indeed but we just lost 3 games in a month to the same 4-20 squad, who was playing without their best G (missed all 3 contests) and best Big (missed tonight).

And, is this team really getting better? Isn?t this season a replica of last season?

Other than KP, who on the roster gives you hope? Knits is OK, we have no clue if MB, kanter, McDerms will even be here next year. Jack and lee probably won?t be here come April. WHG doesn?t play and LT isn?t exactly Bruce Bowen.

As you see, this is why it?s imperative to fill out the roster with 1 more lottery pick. KP and THjr need 1 more elite talent. Add that in the draft and then we start to see somethings come together.

tiger0330

Legend
Hate to say it.... but if draft Mitchel we might have about 8 more wins? No?
Not sure about the number of wins because even with DM the Jazz are way below .500. Still I don't see how you draft Nits over DSJ or DM, got to blame PJ for over valuing the kid because he liked tall PG's that could defend in the triangle. Right now he is not a starting NBA PG and may never be the Knicks starting PG, he may wind up being a smallish NBA combo guard.

mafra

Legend
Jack played 40 minutes tonight.... Why is Sessions on the roster? If Burke is on the roster and plays 14 minutes and scores 6 points.... maybe we win the game.

mafra

Legend
Not sure about the number of wins because even with DM the Jazz are way below .500. Still I don't see how you draft Nits over DSJ or DM, got to blame PJ for over valuing the kid because he liked tall PG's that could defend in the triangle. Right now he is not a starting NBA PG and may never be the Knicks starting PG, he may wind up being a smallish NBA combo guard.

I?m sorry.... a viable NBA PG doesn?t play a game where he doesn?t grab a defensive rebound and go coast to coast for a layup. What did NYK have.... 4 fastbreak points?Frank?s offensive game is so mediocre it makes Shumpert look like Kobe.

It?s amazing how NYK front office evaluated these prospects last year.... this is a PG league.... like QB in NFL, you need a PG who runs the offense and scores.... KP desperately needs a penetrator to get him easy looks.... KP already talking about leaving in free agency.... pressure on to get him help (which they failed to do for Melo and Ewing).... and they draft a teenage project with no offensive talent, who may be good the year after KP leaves in free agency. Makes no sense.

But, this has been the case for 40 years.... so, at least they are consistent.

Without THjr we don?t make 3s or score easy buckets on the fast break.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Anyway, it?s obvious that Rolo, Grant, Holliday simply don?t want to lose to their former team. You can see their energy and will to beat us.... we couldn?t match their intensity.

Anyway, we?ve hit the halfway mark.... 41 games in and the team is 19-22, and in the worst possible place: nowhere near a playoff spot and nowhere near a top 7 pick.

mafra

Legend
Hoiberg tells Dunn to keep shooting, despite 4-19... yet Horn fine with Knits taking 3 shots and playing less than 20 minutes. Why wasn?t Kanter out there late instead of KOQ?

?I have to find a way to be more useful for this team,? Porzingis said. ?It?s a bad feeling. We didn?t finish the game. We have a lot of growing to do.?

Jarrett Jack hit for a triple-double ? 16 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists ? despite the Knicks losing for the eighth time in 10 games to fall to 19-22 at the season?s midpoint. (And now 7 of next 8 or 8/9 on the road).

?With sheer will they beat us three times,? Jack said.

Anyway, Broadway is right. This is 2007 all over again. Jack and Lee playing 40 minutes; MB taking 22 shots... ala Duhon, Hughes and Harrington. These cats not part of the future. It?s just space filler to get by and sell some seats... for next year, a new collection of misfit castoffs to root for.