amare_stoudemire.png
robin_lopez.png

victor_oladipo.png
arron_afflalo.png

goran_dragic.png
jose_calderon.png

Injury Report

Miami HeatNew York Knicks
Chris Bosh (OUT)Cleanthony Early - Injured Right Knee (OUT)
Tyler Johnson - Left Shoulder Surgery (OUT)-
Beno Udrih - Right Foot Surgery (OUT)-

Game Preview

Losing their leading scorer seems to have finally caught up with the Miami Heat during back-to-back defeats, though help may be on the way in the form of a seven-time All-Star.

Following his departure from Brooklyn, Joe Johnson is expected to be back in New York and eligible to make his Miami debut Sunday night when the Heat try to keep the Knicks from winning consecutive games for the first time in more than five weeks.

After winning its first three games after Chris Bosh was sidelined due to blood clots, Southeast Division-leading Miami (32-26) couldn't keep up with Golden State in Wednesday's 118-112 home defeat before struggling offensively in Saturday's 101-89 loss at Boston.

Heat president Pat Riley said that the club is still exploring its options regarding Bosh, who is averaging a team-high 19.1 points. According to a recent report, the 11-time All-Star forward is under increasing pressure from physicians to sit out the rest of the season.

Goran Dragic has stepped up during this stretch, averaging 19.8 points, 7.0 assists and 5.4 rebounds in the past five games. Hassan Whiteside has put up 19.5 points and 17.3 boards while becoming the first Miami player with four straight double-doubles off the bench since 2010.

After Saturday's game, Miami announced that it had made a move to bring in another scoring option by signing Johnson off waivers after he was released by the Nets.

The veteran swingman has made 85 3-pointers this season, more than any Heat player. Since averaging 10.5 points on 35 percent shooting in his first 32 games, the 34-year-old Johnson has averaged 13.4 with a 48.4 field-goal percentage in his last 25. He could be pushed into action after Miami was down to 10 active players due to injury or illness against the Celtics.

"To put somebody on the floor that can shoot the ball, can score different areas of the floor, make plays, it just adds to what we're trying to do," star guard Dwyane Wade said. "Obviously losing Chris right now ... (Johnson is) another playmaker, another scorer."

The Heat hope to avoid their longest losing streak since a four-game skid from Jan. 17-22 and win this season series for the third consecutive year. They held the Knicks to a combined 34.9 percent shooting in winning two November meetings by a total of 36 points, but Carmelo Anthony scored 25 and New York shot 55.7 percent in a 98-90 road win Jan. 6.

The Knicks snapped a six-game home slide with Friday's 108-95 victory over Orlando. Anthony led the way with 19 points, 11 rebounds and six assists, while Kristaps Porzingis added 18 points.

"I think that's the way we need to play," Porzingis said. "Everybody was involved. Everybody was attacking. Everybody was trying to be aggressive when we had the opportunity."

Porzingis has found a groove with 17.4 points per game in his last eight. He had 20 and 14 rebounds in a 95-78 loss at Miami on Nov. 23 before totaling 23 and 12 in the last two meetings.

After allowing an average of 109 points on 49.1 percent shooting in its previous five games, New York (25-35) limited the Magic to 41.9 from the field. The Knicks, who have dropped 13 of 16, seek their first back-to-back wins since Jan. 18 and 20.

They snapped an eight-game losing streak in this series with last month's victory.

(nba.com)

Thanks for another great game thread, Rady.

Starting to read the rumblings that suggest Melo will start sitting games out. I wonder if he will play out the season or get shut down with a significant number of games left to play like a lot of people have predicted. We need him to at least look healthy and keep playing if we want any chance of him getting traded this offseason (very, very low chance).

Joe Johnson showed his true commitment to winning a championship by signing with Miami instead of Cleveland. Likely without Bosh again for the postseason (in my mind), Miami is going to make either a 1st or 2nd round playoff exit. JJ would clearly rather have the sunny weather than an actual chance at winning it all (not that Cleveland can beat the best of the West even with him).

Kiyaman

Legend
Rady .. Big-ups for the Game Thread .. This is a must WIN Game!

Calderon n Lance -vs- Dragic n JJ
Melo -vs- Amare
Rolo -vs- Whiteside
We beat the Heat in our last outing we owe them another

KP vs Grant vs Winslow .. I have to grade the rookies in this game bc i wanted Winslow in this draft

Broadway

All Star
Funny how guys like Amar'e like to bump their gums once they up and leave. Never liked him and glad I didn't because I never saw the leadership I expected for what he wanted while playing here. Matter of fact he did an ESPN segment at the time and said everything but defend Lin(which he could have). Novak, Fields, Jeffries spoke highly of him why couldn't you rickety knees Amar'e? Instead you spoke in codes and innuendos.

But with that said what Amar'e says here below spoke to what I outlined about CAA and Melo running our team then. It's true...Tyson also spoke negatively of Lin. Everyone remembers what J.R. Smith said at the time you know another CAA client? He said there were players who felt LIN HADN'T EARNED HIS STRIPES and thus this feeling and message was passed on to the GM and Dolan and Line was left be. Sad situation I tell you.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Loud "let's go heat" chants at MSG... 13-2 MIA already. No defense, 3 or 4 turnovers, first person to touch ball shoots it.

There was 5 seconds remaining on shot clock... Heat inbound ball from under basket, toss it up top to Dragic who simply drives to hoop for uncontested layup. I've seen more defense in warm up layup drills.

mafra

Legend
Knicks show some life to make it 23-19 after first. Lopez with 8 and 7 already. Langston air balled a wide open 3... Calderon Mayer of brick city, grant on a 2-1 fast break bounce passes ball to defender... Thomas awful.

Out starting backcourt is 1-8, 1 assist and 2 turnovers in the first quarter.

mafra

Legend
Knicks shooting 10-33... Haven't attempted a FT yet...

Kp has 4 blocks in 10 minutes, including nasty one on Winslow (who tried to dunk on him)...

KP gets ball in elbow and does a sweet no-look, behind back bounce pass to Grant (who looked petrified he got ball and didn't even bother to attempt a reverse layup).

I have no clue why Jimmer can't get playing time... Affalo is out and the other 3 guards are worthless so far.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks show some life to make it 23-19 after first. Lopez with 8 and 7 already. Langston air balled a wide open 3... Calderon Mayer of brick city, grant on a 2-1 fast break bounce passes ball to defender... Thomas awful.

Out starting backcourt is 1-8, 1 assist and 2 turnovers in the first quarter.

And i still like our backcourt without Afflalo in the rotation, maybe this time off will light a fire under Afflalo .. Whiteside tryin beak sumthin

Kiyaman

Legend
The Heat opened the first quarter on a 13-2 run. They opened the second quarter on a 14-2 run.
But the problem has nothing to do with the Triangle, despite the fact that the Knicks were taking solely contested mid-range jumpshots in both of those stretches.

mafra

Legend
MIA open 2nd on a 14-2 run... NYK down 16 then go on a late surge... Had 29 points with 3 left but cut deficit to 44-39 at half.

LT with a dunk and 2 3s... Melo looking very good but has an awful last possession: Lopez wide open in paint but Melo decides to navigate a double near three point line and out of bounds and then spins and chucks an airball...

Calderon missed a contested, fast break layup... With wide open trailer coming (who follows miss and puts it back)...

mafra

Legend
And i still like our backcourt without Afflalo in the rotation, maybe this time off will light a fire under Afflalo .. Whiteside tryin beak sumthin

Calderon, LG, JG were 4-15 (9 points... JC with 5 of those 9)... 4 assists and 3 turnovers... In the first half...

I actually saw KP set up the guards for easy shots... Point to 1 pass in the first half where a NYK guard hooked KP up for a dunk or some Semblance of an easy bucket? It doesn't happen bc they don't make anybody around them better.

Not to mention Wade and Dragic never had a defender in front of them, as MIA penetrated at will with a NYK guard on their back or hip.

All 4 of our guards are awful this year... Borderline backups on a playoff team.

mafra

Legend
69-65... Melo, Sasha, KP and Williams with the spark. We've trailed every second so far... Will this be the game somebody steps up in the 4th?

Kiyaman

Legend
Calderon, LG, JG were 4-15 (9 points... JC with 5 of those 9)... 4 assists and 3 turnovers... In the first half...

I actually saw KP set up the guards for easy shots... Point to 1 pass in the first half where a NYK guard hooked KP up for a dunk or some Semblance of an easy bucket? It doesn't happen bc they don't make anybody around them better.

Not to mention Wade and Dragic never had a defender in front of them, as MIA penetrated at will with a NYK guard on their back or hip.

All 4 of our guards are awful this year... Borderline backups on a playoff team.

Offensively our guards dont have a chance against Dragic Wade Winslow n Whiteside all-around defense
Defensively our guards need another post-defender other than Rolo to stop slashers from invading the paint

mafra

Legend
Ref hands MIA 3 free points... If getting into a man's "space" and then having offensive player lower ball and offensive player raises ball and shoots and ref calls foul bc his hands go thru defenders hands before shot.... Well, Melo should shoot 15 FT a game.

Then, Langston comes around a pick and has open lane to hoop but decides to stop, jump back, fade away and shoot (shot is short)... MIA has cushion again.

mafra

Legend
Lopez defense are creating stops
Melo's offense are creating misses n poor passing

Melo is the least of our problems... Other than being a complete non-factor in the 4th of games... Melo has played well this year...

Wade and Dragic have 34 and 12... Calderon and Galloway have 14 and 6...

Calderon has played 38 minutes and had 7 points, 3 assists, & 4 turnovers and played zero defense. We trailed wire to wire and were down double figures most of second half... Yet Grant plays 9 minutes and Jimmer doesn't get in the game?

Rambis was more to blame for this loss... KP was 3-12... Why bother even mentioning Melo? Melo led team in assists tonight. Had 22, 6, & 4.