I'm New But Seriously WTF!!!

la2ny

Starter
I don't get why people are questioning whether Melo and Stat can co-exist. They both command double teams and can get to the line pretty much at will. Melo will open up more shots for the role players just like Amare does. Right now when amare goes to the bench, we lose a lot of offense and become easier to defend. Melo will cure that and make finishing games that much easier.

So what they're both major scorers. Everyone knows you have to have at least 2 great ones to win a chip anyway. (+ defense)
exactomundo i actually listed the last 30 Champinship teams and this years top 5 record wise and they all have atleast 2-3 superstars except for the 94 Rockets which coincedently is the same year Pat lead NY to the finals

metrocard

Legend
I don't get why people are questioning whether Melo and Stat can co-exist. They both command double teams and can get to the line pretty much at will. Melo will open up more shots for the role players just like Amare does. Right now when amare goes to the bench, we lose a lot of offense and become easier to defend. Melo will cure that and make finishing games that much easier.

So what they're both major scorers. Everyone knows you have to have at least 2 great ones to win a chip anyway. (+ defense)

This is what people said about Curry/Randolph

la2ny

Starter
Last 30 NBA Champions:
10' Lakers-Kobe Bryant,Pau Gasol
09' Lakers-Kobe Bryant,Pau Gasol
08' Celtics-Paul Pierce,Kevin GarKNEE,GAY Allen
07' Spurs-Tim Duncan,MANu Ginobli,Tony Parker
06' Heat-Dwyane Wade,Shaquille O'neal
05' Spurs-Tim Duncan,Tony Parker,MANu Ginobli
04' Pistons-Chauncey Billups,Rasheed Wallace,Rip Hamilton,Ben Wallace
03 Spurs-Tim Duncan,David Robinson,MANu Ginobli,Tony Parker
02 Lakers-Shaq,Kobe Bryant
01 Lakers-Shaq,Kobe Bryant
00 Lakers-Shaq,Kobe Bryant
99' Spurs-David Robinson,Tim Duncan
98' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen,Dennis Rodman
97' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen,Dennis Rodman
96' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen,Dennis Rodman
95' Rockets-Hakeem Olajauwon,Clyde Drexler
94' Rockets-Hakeem Olajauwon,
93' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen
92' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen
91' Bulls-Micheal Jordan,Scottie Pippen
90' Pistons-Isiah Thomas,Joe Dumars
89' Pistons-Isiah Thomas,Joe Dumars
88' Lakers-Magic Johnson,James Worthy,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
87' Lakers-Magic Johnson,James Worthy,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
86' Celtics-Larry Bird,Kevin McHale,Robert Parish
85' Lakers-Magic Johnson,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar,James Worthy
84' Celtics-Larry Bird,Kevin McHale,Robert Parish
83' Sixers-Julius Erving,Moses Malone,Maurice Cheeks
82' Lakers-Kareem Abdul Jabbar,Magic Johnson
81' Celtics-Larry Bird,Kevin McHale,Robert Parish

See where this is going? This years teams with the top 5 records are:

1:20-3 Spurs-MANu Ginobli,Tony Parker,Tim Duncan
2:19-4 Mavericks-Dirk Nowitzki,Caron Butler,Jason Kidd
3:17-7 Lakers-Kobe Bryant,Pau Gasol
4:17-8 Jazz-Deron Williams,Al Jefferson,Paul Millsap
5:17-8 Heat-Dwyane Wade,Chris Bosh,LeBronze
Just thought I'd repost this in my thread

metrocard

Legend
2 fat guys in the paint never works out great for anyone

Question is will Melo make Amare's game easier? How are they going to share the ball? Both men score from the same area.

Sounds like a lot of traffic to me.

This isn't NBA 2k11, these guys play for real and will feel out of place if they lose their touches. They're not at that Ray Allen/KG stage where they want to give up touches to win because both of these guys are at their prime and would play best if they get an abundance of touches.

Plus, Felton is playing like a superstar.

He's shooting higher than Melo and has been a leader.
Melo is bailing out on his team...I just don't like this dude overall. Seems like a bad character and chemistry guy. This isn't factual just my opinion.

Great post La.

Even though Melo is not a great three point shooter, no one will leave him by himself. Why? Because of who he is. I'll take ny chances getting him and banking on him becoming a better shooter from 3, while giving us another super efficient mid range/post presence when Stat sits. Plus, imagine if he gets into the pnr action also? The possibilities with him are higher for our team than without him. Honestly, I dont even get why any Knick fan would not want him now for basically a couple of c+/b- players.

what would u bet on? Melo becoming a better 3pt shooter, or Gallo Chandler or Fields ever approaching Melo's status as a top 5 player?

la2ny

Starter
doesn't have to be look at Miami now. They can figure it out.

They can share the ball they are not as selfish as you may think they are. Felton is playing great but he isn't a superstar by any stretch of the imagination and you know it.

Felton can distribute the ball well and he could definetly run this team w/ Melo on it Just like Billups did in Denver. Amare and Carmelo running a p&r could be very dangerous because the defense will likely end up with a mismatch or will have to double which creates open shots for everyone else.Amare gets alot of iso's around the elbow and he looks awkward sometimes which was a complaint by many and still is alot of the time which leads to all his turnovers. Now with Melo on the court the defense has to respect him more than any other Knick so the court becomes bigger for Stat to work when need be. Amare and Melo can coexist for christ sakes! Melo is an underated passer and he draws alot of attention which helps Amare so you don't have those 1-on 5 situations he tries to run through. Melo can also carry the scoring load when Stat's getting a rest or gets in early foul trouble or vice versa. Amare will NOT keep dropping 30 night in night out w/o wearing down eventually.

I play basketball dude I know how it works.

Listen I can respect your personal sentiments towards the guy and what he's doing to Denver, but honestly you have to understand he shouldnt even be there right now. They shouldv'e handled this in the offseason now its a big distraction.Yes he isn't all there with that team anymore but their still winning and he's still playing for them honoring his contract.

metrocard

Legend
doesn't have to be look at Miami now. They can figure it out.

They can share the ball they are not as selfish as you may think they are. Felton is playing great but he isn't a superstar by any stretch of the imagination and you know it.

Felton can distribute the ball well and he could definetly run this team w/ Melo on it Just like Billups did in Denver. Amare and Carmelo running a p&r could be very dangerous because the defense will likely end up with a mismatch or will have to double which creates open shots for everyone else.Amare gets alot of iso's around the elbow and he looks awkward sometimes which was a complaint by many and still is alot of the time which leads to all his turnovers. Now with Melo on the court the defense has to respect him more than any other Knick so the court becomes bigger for Stat to work when need be. Amare and Melo can coexist for christ sakes! Melo is an underated passer and he draws alot of attention which helps Amare so you don't have those 1-on 5 situations he tries to run through. Melo can also carry the scoring load when Stat's getting a rest or gets in early foul trouble or vice versa. Amare will NOT keep dropping 30 night in night out w/o wearing down eventually.

I play basketball dude I know how it works.

Listen I can respect your personal sentiments towards the guy and what he's doing to Denver, but honestly you have to understand he shouldnt even be there right now. They shouldv'e handled this in the offseason now its a big distraction.Yes he isn't all there with that team anymore but their still winning and he's still playing for them honoring his contract.

Just because you play basketball doesn't mean your good(doubt you play at a high level) and doesn't mean you know everything. Theres a difference between playing the sport and studying the actual game.

As far as Carmelo, he's being a total loser about this and is not being professional. This dude was a problem ever since his rookie year and I'm not suprised he's doing this. If things go wrong in New York, he could make Marbury look like Tim Duncan.

la2ny

Starter
Great post La.

Even though Melo is not a great three point shooter, no one will leave him by himself. Why? Because of who he is. I'll take ny chances getting him and banking on him becoming a better shooter from 3, while giving us another super efficient mid range/post presence when Stat sits. Plus, imagine if he gets into the pnr action also? The possibilities with him are higher for our team than without him. Honestly, I dont even get why any Knick fan would not want him now for basically a couple of c+/b- players.

what would u bet on? Melo becoming a better 3pt shooter, or Gallo Chandler or Fields ever approaching Melo's status as a top 5 player?
I've typed my fingers numb today but some of them just don't see it and idk why. because he shoots 30% from three? thats better than alot of players plus he'd get open shots here in NY becuase of STAT so its only bound to go up.

I still don't think we should gut for him which everyone keeps saying but i think iKnow what everyones problem is.

They are still traumatized by the last 10 years and what happened with Isiah. They are afraid anything dramatic will just make this light at the end of the tunnel go away. Have they ever considered maybe that dramatic move might bring you completely out of the tunnel into the stadium where all the big boys play?

Like seriously someone compared Amare teaming w/ Melo would be the equivalent of Marbury getting Keith Van Horn! lmao

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Amare gets a lot of turnovers when he is not playing close range, Amare is at his best near the basket even though he's shooting well from mid range. He helps spread the floor but you want him down low as much as possible, with Melo they will create space for each other and the team. (mid range has more space on the floor as oppose to close range they won't get in each others way)

They both have different games and will create good chemistry. The Knicks are fighting for every win and players need rest, with Melo this won't be a problem. I'm extremely afraid of injuries as I seen it destroy teams, fatigue will hit the Knicks unless someone steps up from the bench like AR or Mozgov. This is the why I believe we need Melo as much as he needs the Knicks.

Melo is a clutch player, can create his own shot, and will be great in the fast break.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I'd love Melo to sign with us. A concern is though, we already have several scorers. Yes, Amar'e is the only volume scorer as of now, but we REALLY need defense. If let's say, Marc Gasol, gives us defense, plus the offense and rebounding we know he has, don't you think that's big/huge even without Anthony? That's a position that would could use being filled, and he seems like he'd be a great addition. If we can add defensive players while still maintaining our scorers, that could be major. Plus, Gov seems like he's gonna be a pretty good center, really the main things he needs to work on finishing plays (catching the ball better, better timing) and not being that foul prone (and hey, I rather him trying on defense and fouling instead of letting guys get easy baskets).

We have other options, everybody. We don't need Anthony. There's other players available who can make us significantly better. In 2001 the Sixers got the Finals because of Iverson's monster scoring and having defenders make-up for their not that good offense. We have a lot more offense then that team from what I heard about that Sixers team, so Amar'e being the volume scorer, having the other good scorers we have now, plus Felton's dishing aside from his scoring, we mainly need more defense imo. We have some defense, just not enough for me.

Again, I'd love Melo here. People just NEED to stop saying we NEED him as if he's the only available player within the next two years.

Last edited:

la2ny

Starter
Just because you play basketball doesn't mean your good(doubt you play at a high level) and doesn't mean you know everything. Theres a difference between playing the sport and studying the actual game.

As far as Carmelo, he's being a total loser about this and is not being professional. This dude was a problem ever since his rookie year and I'm not suprised he's doing this. If things go wrong in New York, he could make Marbury look like Tim Duncan.
Listen just because Im here talking to you doesnt mean I didnt play at a high level I played D-1, secondly I never said I knew everything about the game, no one does,lastly I do study the game and I've seen this situation alot over the years, it can work.

You have a personal issue with melo and thats good for you thats your opinion.Im a fan first so I dont have a problem w/ pro's being who they are. I dont know them personally so I cant pass judgement on one.

This isn't me protecting Melo or any other star for that matter. If its a decent player that has a chance to improve the team you root for then why always look at negatives of a situation when it can have as many positives as negatives.

la2ny

Starter
I'd love Melo to sign with us. A concern is though, we already have several scorers. Yes, Amar'e is the only volume scorer as of now, but we REALLY need defense. If let's say, Marc Gasol, gives us defense, plus the offense and rebounding we know he has, don't you think that's big/huge even without Anthony? That's a position that would could use being filled, and he seems like he'd be a great addition. If we can add defensive players while still maintaining our scorers, that could be major. Plus, Gov seems like he's gonna be a pretty good center, really the main things he needs to work on finishing plays (catching the ball better, better timing) and not being that foul prone (and hey, I rather him trying on defense and fouling instead of letting guys get easy baskets).

We have other options, everybody. We don't need Anthony. There's other players available who can make us significantly better. In 2001 the Sixers got the Finals because of Iverson's monster scoring and having defenders make-up for their not that good offense. We have a lot more offense then that team from what I heard about that Sixers team, so Amar'e being the volume scorer, having the other good scorers we have now, plus Felton's dishing aside from his scoring, we mainly need more defense imo. We have some defense, just not enough for me.

Again, I'd love Melo here. People just NEED to stop saying we NEED him as if he's the only available player within the next two years.
I know we dont need him just stating another superstar would be great to help Stat especially if you can acquire him some of the ways thats been discussed already.

That would be amazing but thats not gonna happen lol. The East was bad that year I think Milwaukee was the best team that year. Im not taking from what Philly did that year but the NBA as a whole was pretty down those years ex. (New Jersey going 2 times after)

amilion

Benchwarmer
I love our team no matter what. If you cut me open you'd see that my heart is the Knicks logo, I bleed orange and blue, and it beats to the rhythm of our old "Go NY, Go NY, GO" theme song lol. I'm not the one to say what the best route for our team is and how it should get done. What I do know is that we are playing extremely well right now and as far as figuring out what future moves we need to make, we need to see how we fare against elite teams in more than one game and I mean study how we play and not just the end result (if we beat Miami or vice versa on the 17th, it really doesn't mean we suck or we're great...we need to see how we are in a season series against these teams). I'll be beyond elated if we win though. God I hope we win because I am now living in south florida and it just increases my hate for the Heat.

With that said...I can't stand these critics of the Knicks. We haven't been good in 10 years...that playoff series does not count to me. We went from "Amar'e is good but he won't be that good without Nash." "They've gotten more talented but are they really that much better." "They won't make the playoffs, New Jersey will beat them out." to "Yeah sure they're winning but they're not beating anyone over .500." We haven't been over .500 this long in 85 years our-damn-selves but we're supposed to beat everybody. Kiss my ass critics and sports announcers, etc. I put it on espn and nba tv after every win just to see the looks on their faces. lol I appreciate your sincere apologies to NY Kenny Smith.

Next...we are underrating Melo. He's a star...no doubt about it. Denver won 17 games before him. There is no perfect superstar. I think Kobe is the best player in the league but even he is not without imperfection. So many (generally speaking) were drooling for Lebron to come here (not I...haven't liked him since his 1st year in the league). He's overrated if you ask me (not tremendously but people have put him at God-like status...dead) but he's great at what he does do because he utilizes his abilities very well. He can pass very well, he's huge, he's super fast, and extra strong but he lacks what Kobe has and I'm sure I don't have to spell out what that is. Maybe he'll develop a bit of it from Wade but despite those flaws he's still a superstar. (By the way if Kobe had an hour show about where he was signing, the media and NBA fans would have hanged him in effigy...just saying). So here we go Melo...his attitude fits NY more than Lebron by far.

Melo is known as a ball stopper, not an efficient shooter, etc etc. And these knocks on his game may be perfectly correct. But he also draws soooo much attention (Let's get the quadruple-team away from Amar'e). When Amar'e leaves the game we are pretty much toast (aside from our last game) so let's get a scorer in here who can put up impact points and probably keep our role players playing at the same level they play at when Amar'e is on the floor. Despite what some may say, Melo has been said to play very well off the ball, which I think is needed in this system. We're good and probably better than some of us thought we'd be but let's not get besides ourselves and think Amar'e is gonna carry us to the promised land when there are teams such as LA and Boston around.

To the question of "who do we get rid of?" I hope not too much. I love Wilson (I know his IQ is questionable although it seems like it's getting a little better with Amar'e and Turiaf there) but damn is he versatile. I think we take him for granted sometimes because he shuts up, plays, does what he needs to do in order for us to win and keeps it moving. He gets overlooked. He defends, he scores, he defers and complements well. Also, he is starting to show more emotion (I see him after calls, I saw him after that clutch three yesterday...he wasn't screaming but he had something to say lol). I like Gallo mainly because he's homegrown and wants to win. I don't think he's a lights out shooter but he can shoot. I was reading earlier where everyone was comparing Wil and Gallo...somebody said the main skills Gallo brings to the table is shooting and getting to the line so they'd keep him over Chandler. Those are great things but Melo also gets to the line quite a lot so that leaves Gallinari as a good shooter...great so insert Rautins lol j/k but go get a shooter (he will be open with Amar'e and Melo on the floor otherwise pay the price and play those monsters one on one). And yes we do need a backup pg and somebody down low with a good bball IQ, who loves to rebound, block shots, and get us putbacks. By the way, I love Fields. He's one of those type of guys you want on your team whether he's scoring or not.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
I rather keep the core together that has been successful so far and has a lot of room to grow and improve than assume Carmelo will automatically equal = Championship.

Wisonari > Carmelo.

Why have one why you can have two on the court?

Carmelo isn't a good 3pt shooter to be playing 2/3. He's a 30% 3pt shooter career wise and shooting 27% this year.

Carmelo scores from the same range that Amare does, Carmelo is just a SF version of Amare and would contradict our offense and kill ball movement.

If Manu Ginobili was on the market, then I would approve. Manu is an excellent passer and shooter and perimeter defender. Those are things that would benefit us and take us to championship level.

Everything Carmelo is good at, we already got.

We don't need an abundance of the same thing.
We just need balance.

Will Knicks be better with Carmelo? Maybe, it hasn't be tested yet so we don't really know.
But I just see the Knicks being that great as the hype is making people believe.

I agree 100% metro, but it's a waste of time debating with Melo fanboys. They don't want to hear that he is shooting 42% from the field and 28% from three and does absolutely nothing to help our deficiencies.

They just want a another "superstar."

la2ny

Starter
I agree 100% metro, but it's a waste of time debating with Melo fanboys. They don't want to hear that he is shooting 42% from the field and 28% from three and does absolutely nothing to help our deficiencies.

They just want a another "superstar."
and this is the exact reason why you and metro can stay on the end of the pine w/ ranSOFT

metrocard

Legend
Listen just because Im here talking to you doesnt mean I didnt play at a high level I played D-1, secondly I never said I knew everything about the game, no one does,lastly I do study the game and I've seen this situation alot over the years, it can work.

You have a personal issue with melo and thats good for you thats your opinion.Im a fan first so I dont have a problem w/ pro's being who they are. I dont know them personally so I cant pass judgement on one.

This isn't me protecting Melo or any other star for that matter. If its a decent player that has a chance to improve the team you root for then why always look at negatives of a situation when it can have as many positives as negatives.

Give me your name and school.
But I feel you on the paragraphs you wrote.

I just have a personal vendetta against Carmelo because he didn't play with Team Puerto Rico.
But i got over my patriotism and really don't care about flag waving nonsense.

Good post.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Give me your name and school.
But I feel you on the paragraphs you wrote.

I just have a personal vendetta against Carmelo because he didn't play with Team Puerto Rico.
But i got over my patriotism and really don't care about flag waving nonsense.

Good post.

But he's American though lol.