Nets owner tells team to drop Anthony deal

KingofNy

Starter
If this story is accurate and Prokhorov is not "negotiating," then this really changes the landscape.

I wonder if Melo would even prefer to stay in Denver than play for the Nets. If he would have signed his extension in connection with a trade to the Nets, then Denver will have made a major blunder, unless, of course, it makes Melo more likely to sign with Denver.

Perhaps we have come full circle. How much does Melo insist on the security of the current CBA extended contract? How willing is Denver to play chicken with Melo and refuse 'reasonable' trades with the likes of the Knicks or Chicago? In any event, I believe this increases substantially our chances of signing Melo.

It's definitely negotiations... They are trying to press him to get the deal done now and get him to agree to sign the extension. By doing this it also makes his players feel comfortable about their status with the team. I never really thought Melo wanted to go to NJ anyways though.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
If the Nets chose not to pursue the negotiations, IMO the reason has to be the fact that Carmelo refused to sign the extension.

I'm betting that anything else said was basically a front for the fact that Carmelo really really does not want to go to New Jersey, nor will he ever go to New Jersey.

He might sign with the Bulls but that's not a good situation for him either. I don't see him and Derrick Rose working that well together although it could work, but the Bulls aren't dumping Noah unless they can also dump Deng and Denver (wisely) has no interest in taking Luol Deng's contract back.