Official Tony Douglas Thread

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, I was surprised at his PG skills. He always kept his dribble, and made a couple of nice plays. I noticed he also was able to make a couple of nice passes into the post to feed Jordan Hill. That's a lost art nowadays.

knickfan2112

Benchwarmer
hes an good player and what we have been lacking over the years is a point guard who can play some d and keep opposing guards out of the paint. hes also showing he has great point guard ability which is great

Coastyn

Rookie
He got game...The thing that impressed me the most is the fact that he idolizes Steve Nash...Meaning that he may not have a problem molding his game after Nash. Future Steve Nash + D???? Sounds nice

mafra

Legend
I was worried TD would just be another SG in a PGs body...He looked like a PG yesterday. Careful with the ball, and very comfortable looking running the offense. I think we've found a real back-up PG...

Now if we could just get a REAL starting PG...

Duhon ran the show (and won) at Duke; Duhon was very good in the first half last year. If Douglas can be a quality backup PG this year, play about 15-2- minutes a game and give Duhon some real-quality rest.... We should be pretty good at PG.

Duhon (C-Ward) + Douglas (C-Childs) = solid PG duo.

metrocard

Legend
Mafra that would be nice

Only if we had a 90s Knicks squad.
Its gonna take more than Ward/Childs to get this team winning.

I really feel good about Douglas...I just feel he will be a lot better than Curry

Blas

Benchwarmer
It is great he does not turnover the ball; however I want to see him play a game in preseason.

I do not know how he will play against players that actually play passing lanes and slow the ball down to force half court sets.

I can't believe he is shooting so bad, maybe its just a slump or nerves because it only get harder from here on out.

nyk_nyk

All Star
It is great he does not turnover the ball; however I want to see him play a game in preseason.

I do not know how he will play against players that actually play passing lanes and slow the ball down to force half court sets.

I can't believe he is shooting so bad, maybe its just a slump or nerves because it only get harder from here on out.

All great points.

:agreed:

metrocard

Legend
Douglas was a prolific screen shooter in the ACC, but I don't he's this bad of a shooter.

Douglas seems like a back up combo guard to me...sadly.

We didn't draft any impact players (Rubio, Evans, Flynn, etc.)

Even Brandon Jennings is looking better than Hill.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Douglas is the real deal not like mardy collins things are finally changing for us and its great.......he's really shown himself and showed he can play we got our future PG

KBlack25

Starter
Douglas is the real deal not like mardy collins things are finally changing for us and its great.......he's really shown himself and showed he can play we got our future PG

Agreed...honestly look at this team's PGs when we were good. Charlie Ward? Chris Childs? Mark Jackson? Harper?

Douglas has potential to be as good as or better than any of them...none were truly world-beaters. My dad and I were never big time Jackson fans, and talking to my dad last night, he really hasn't liked a PG in 30 years more than he's like Douglas for his versatility and ability.

I've been begging to see this guy play all year...glad D'Antoni finally decided to play him...honestly, I think this team can do fine with Douglas/Rodriguez splitting minutes at PG.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Hold up a sec

Agreed...honestly look at this team's PGs when we were good. Charlie Ward? Chris Childs? Mark Jackson? Harper?

Douglas has potential to be as good as or better than any of them...none were truly world-beaters. My dad and I were never big time Jackson fans, and talking to my dad last night, he really hasn't liked a PG in 30 years more than he's like Douglas for his versatility and ability.

I've been begging to see this guy play all year...glad D'Antoni finally decided to play him...honestly, I think this team can do fine with Douglas/Rodriguez splitting minutes at PG.

IMO TD and Rodriguez are both bench players. Right now, TD is learning how to run a team but he's more comfortable when he's trying to score. I'd prefer to get a true verteran PG (not Duhon) on the team to mentor him for a year.

Rodriguez is a pure pg but he's not starter material on a team with high aspirations. I really like him as a bench player though. He can do some good things with the second unit and will really push the ball up the floor which is key for a guy like Walker.

Being a fan of a team that has sucked for so many years, you often make choices just because it excites you. I try to stay realistic when it comes to certain players and not let a flash here or there blind me. REALISTICALLY, we need a center, PF and PG. I still believe T-Mac is one of the better and smarter SGs in the league and the Knicks seem to always have talent at the SF spot.

TD may be the answer to our PG problems but its really to soon to make that assessment. Yes he's been playing well, but what happens when he really needs to play a controlled game with a lot at stake? These last couple weeks are all garbage/throw away games with no pressure on him. When he can manage the team to wins without having to take a ton of shots then I'll know he's really ready for prime time.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

i agree he's not out-of-this-world athletic but he's athletic enough to play in this league and play well and with his game he could only get better, with all the minutes and crunch time situations its only going to help him develop into a better player. and he has the work ethic to get better. we got our PG now for the future

nyk_nyk

All Star
i agree he's not out-of-this-world athletic but he's athletic enough to play in this league and play well and with his game he could only get better, with all the minutes and crunch time situations its only going to help him develop into a better player. and he has the work ethic to get better. we got our PG now for the future

I find it hilarious how you can make this proclamation right now. The guy JUST started getting meaningful minutes. Trust me, the minute a better PG becomes available they'll be starting for the Knicks.

Paul1355

All Star
Toney Douglas should be our starting PG next year...this kid hits big shots in the clutch with basically no NBA experience while being benched this year....he has balls and wants to take the big shots which i admire

Douglas will only improve....this kid was a force on offense averaging 20 ppg but was the ACC defensive player of the year....honestly this kid can be a Rajon Rondo type...i dont see why not

The only problem hindering him is Mike D's philosophy of having the PF play the point because it gives Toney less freedom and Toney can break down a defense with his speed and ability to drive to the hoop. Toney's other problem is watching the charge, but that can be fixed with time.

This is kid is a young steal in the draft and can be our starting PG..why not?
Pick up a good passing SG like Joe Johnson and you have good ball movement all ready in the back court, you don't need a Steve Nash to have success.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I find it hilarious how you can make this proclamation right now. The guy JUST started getting meaningful minutes. Trust me, the minute a better PG becomes available they'll be starting for the Knicks.

we gotta give the guy a shot to run the team over the course of the season, with his play through out the season he has been consistent and shown he can play so why not give him the same shot we gave duhon? every pg in this league deserves that chance after what we gave duhon loll.....and if you remember the game in the beginning of the season vs the Jazz douglas single handedly kept us in the game and finished with 21. and just recently that 4th quarter vs the sixers and second half vs. the nuggets, those performances alone have earned him the starting job for next season