Official Trade Rumors Thread

mafra

Legend
True. And it is old news. And if we made that deal... Even if you add that we don't make bargns deal... We probably are better but don't have KP and future not looking as bright...

Kiyaman

Legend
The New York Knicks had an opportunity to trade for Toronto Raptors PG Kyle Lowry in 2013 that owner James Dolan turned down, according to USA Today's Jeff Zillgitt.

The trade would have brought Lowry to New York and sent Iman Shumpert, Metta World Peace and a first-round pick to Toronto.

"That deal was done," said Lowry, whose Raptors are in second place in the Eastern Conference.

Dolan, according to the report, turned down the trade because he thought Toronto GM Masai Ujiri, who was the Nuggets GM at the time of the Carmelo Anthony trade, was taking advantage of the Knicks.

Mafra .. we never had a chance at getting Lowry ..
When Lowry arrived in Toronto, Lowry played every game poorly on purpose bc he didn't like the trade of leaving a hot warm climate Houston Texas to go to a ice water cold Toronto.
Lowry played like a bum until the day all Canada newspapers mention the Raptors are in talk with the Knicks of trading Lowry. That's the day Lowry went on a 25 game super-star role n became the last player the Raptors would trade

mafra

Legend
lol... The fear of ending up in NY with Melo turned it in for him. Sad thing is that's probably more true than false.

paris401

Starter
chris bro on espn radio this morn says the cav's would be better if they wave bibi to love n insert Me-Lo... gotta disagree.. while I think love ain't that great, certainly not worth the $$ he's getting, Me-Lo would add little to the team... n here to is another 'superstar' that is way overpaid..

mafra

Legend
chris bro on espn radio this morn says the cav's would be better if they wave bibi to love n insert Me-Lo... gotta disagree.. while I think love ain't that great, certainly not worth the $$ he's getting, Me-Lo would add little to the team... n here to is another 'superstar' that is way overpaid..

Love is in the same category as Melo, just as much losing on his ledger (not enough winning).

CLE would gladly swap Love for Melo b/c Melo is a better fit with Lebron (if only for improved chemistry). He may be older and not as healthy... but that's not the issue. Love isn't working in CLE. This is Lebron's team, and dollar to donuts... Lebron would prefer Melo to Love. It may be a lateral move... But it's one CLE would make. Plus, Love is awful on defense. He's so bad the opponent exposes it for their advatanage. Melo may be lazy on defense but he can man-up when motivated.

I seriously doubt Melo will do Phil any favors. I don't even know if he considers CLE a viable destination (his family probably wouldn't want to move to CLE)...

I think 3 things happen:

1) LAC somehow thinks they would be better trading Blake for Melo.

2) Knicks tank so badly that they fail to recruit anybody of note this summer... Melo is recruited heavily by Lebron... Decides 2 years in CLE is manageable... BOS-CLE-NYK swap Love for Melo for young guys taken in draft.

3) Melo is comfortable and cool in NY.
Winning not important as long as he ain't losing 55 games a season. His goal is to win a title in NY during the 2017-2018 season. Knicks get a little better this summer... Then, after next season... Chris Paul joins Melo in NY and the Paul-Melo-KP trio attempt to bring a title to Ny. Melo thinking that winning 1 title in NY better for his legacy than running away and winning 2-3 in CLE.

Most of this is predicated on his relationship with Phil.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Blake for Melo, man I hope that happens. LA one of the few places Melo would go to in a heartbeat despite him loving NY. Doc is going to want the moon for BG so I doubt it happens.

mafra

Legend
Blake for Melo, man I hope that happens. LA one of the few places Melo would go to in a heartbeat despite him loving NY. Doc is going to want the moon for BG so I doubt it happens.

Clippers asked for Gallinari, Jokic, Barton, and Faired for Blake. Lol.

Hou and Mia discussing Howard-Whiteside swap

Rubio, Thad Young, BLopez names on the block.

tiger0330

Legend

DH is a max player, HW a min player. There are going to be others moved if Miami does this, Dragic, Lawson, Capella or Beverly etc.

mafra

Legend
Yes. Of course. Which makes this deal a hard one to mAke... Most likely, seasons ends and both team simply signs the other guy.

Now... A third team could get involved... Who knows. I doubt it tho

It's funny how everything 'leaks' so fast on these trade offers. I think that if I was the Clippers that's where I'd start with trade negotiations with Denver and then work from there. Clearly, that's asking too much from Denver, but if you can end up with 2 of those 4 and maybe a pick, you've done a good job. The problem for the Clippers (and a lot of teams looking to move stars), is that they are trying to do it when a player has been significantly devalued. Blake Griffin might actually have been worth the value of those 4 guys at one time when he was playing like an MVP-candidate a year or two ago.

If only Melo could have punched an equipment guy in the face while still in Denver, maybe we'd still have Gallinari or an extra pick with the team today.

As far as Whiteside being on the block, is it that Miami doesn't want to have to deal with contract negotiations with him this offseason?

I love Whiteside. You could stick him at center next to Porzingis at PF and sit back and spend the next 10 years trying to build a backcourt to go along with them. Ah, yet another pipedream.

mafra

Legend
If I was Dolan... I would demand Phil hire Thibideau and sign Whiteside. Be like having Ewing and Oakley again... Like having Noah and Gibson for Thibs.

Talk about a dominant defensive front court!

Look... Only way to rebuild is to stink and get 2 stars in the lottery and then hit a Hr and fin an all star in the second round. Unless you hit free agent powerball... You have to build like SA, GSW, OKC... Sign Whiteside, trade Melo and vets for picks... Have a team built to compete for a decade.

However, since it makes too much sense... NYK won't do it.

Broadway

All Star

Well who's gonna play point guard for us if we trade the great irreplaceable Calderon. The guy who has proven to be better than anything we have. That only leaves us with Galloway and he's been at best parallel to Calderon recently and we have no other pg. Not in case Phil has a doosy up his sleeve and he's gonna trade Calderon for a much much much much much better pg(sarcasm alert sarcasm alert).

tiger0330

Legend

Well who's gonna play point guard for us if we trade the great irreplaceable Calderon. The guy who has proven to be better than anything we have. That only leaves us with Galloway and he's been at best parallel to Calderon recently and we have no other pg. Not in case Phil has a doosy up his sleeve and he's gonna trade Calderon for a much much much much much better pg(sarcasm alert sarcasm alert).
Damn shame you can't get anything for a PG that shoots the 3 at 40%. One of the options I read was Jordan Farmer who was just released by some Euro team. Bring up Jimmer if PJ can't do a trade.

We shopped him like crazy at the deadline last year, too, supposedly, and there was no market at all. Only possible thing that could make him more attractive this year is that he has one less year on his contract.

mafra

Legend
I heard that was also why no trade happened on draft day... With BOS or some other team, bc they wouldn't take Calderon on top of everything else Phil wanted or asked for.

Y'know, when they said before the All-Star break that Bosh was out with a 'strained calf', it made me wonder since calf pain due to a blood clot is not an uncommon thing. Now I'm starting to read online that Bosh may be dealing with another blood clot issue after a clot to his lungs ended his season last year. First and foremost, I wish the guy the best since this is a potentially life-threatening problem.

But a distant second, I wonder how this affects Miami's activity prior to the trade deadline. Does this make them more or less likely to push to get someone like Dwight Howard at all costs?

Broadway

All Star
True. And it is old news. And if we made that deal... Even if you add that we don't make bargns deal... We probably are better but don't have KP and future not looking as bright...

Phil Jackson helped Dolan nix that deal because what other source could Dolan have been seeking that late... since the deal got done with on Grunwald's and Mill's watch?

Phil was high on Shumpert and didn't want to give away a 2018 pick(when we should be relevant, probably won't be now) but then gave away....

Shumpert/Smith/Ellington/Larkin/Acy/Outlaw/Wear/Kirk/Dalembert/...like literally got back nothing for these guys but Lance Thomas and 2019 2nd round pick

Last edited:
Many fans, including me, have heavily criticized PJ, but if the rumors are true at all, so far prior to the trade deadline:

- He has looked into PGs like Teague and Schroeder from Atlanta, Brandon Jennings from Detroit, and possibly even Ty Lawson or Ricky Rubio.
- He may or may not have been part of a conversation to possibly trade Melo in that weird three-way trade rumor with Cleveland and Boston
- He may have at least partially fired Fisher because of Fisher's comments against Rondo, indicating he wants to be in play for Rondo in the offseason
- Last but not least, he is once again looking to trade Calderon out of town.

Get us a real PG. Maybe trade Melo for assets. Get rid of Calderon. It's funny, but it sounds like in theory, PJ is trying to do many of the things us fans want him to do. Now, he just actually needs to get something done without doing something stupid. That is of course if you believe the rumors.

Phil Jackson helped Dolan nixed that deal because what other source could Dolan have been seeking that late... since the deal got done with on Grunwald's and Mill's watch?

Phil was high on Shumpert and didn't want to give away a 2018 pick(when we should be relevant, probably won't be now) but then gave away....

Shumpert/Smith/Ellington/Larkin/Acy/Outlaw/Wear/Kirk/Dalembert/...like literally got back nothing for these guys but Lance Thomas and 2019 2nd round pick

I would argue that list of guys there, outside of Shumpert, were all worth essentially nothing when we had them. JR Smith seems like he should have had some value, but before we traded him, many people were suggesting there was no way we would find a way to dump his contract given how poorly he played for us the first half of last year and his history of attitude issues/mental mistakes.

Given that we eventually did trade Shumpert, it does seem like a huge mistake in hindsight that we made him untouchable for so long when it seems like teams would have actually given us something of value for him right up to the point where we actually traded him.