Unexpected News? Brown's officially canned!

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
What coach asks for players to fit into a system? If a coach must rely on a GM to win then his coaching abilities must be questioned. Isiah isn't doing an excellent job as GM but he's getting the job done...it's the coach that was the problem. Like what I said, if you have Starbury, the franchise, Jalen Rose, JC, and an excellent rookie core...and you can't even get to .500 then somebody has to go...luckily Dolan did the right thing by getting rid of brown because you can give him 5 years...he could not take this roster to the playoffs. After the players tuned him out...he had no hope. And me personally I don't blame them for tuning him out. If your coach publicly bashes you and notifies the press on updates before some of the players (aka the ariza situation) then not only is he a bad coach for this team...he is also a bad person. If he wants to go back to the old school ethics...then he needs to be an old school coach. An old school coach put fire underneath his players, praised them while they were up and caught them when they fall only to build them back up again. An old school coach was almost like a father figure to some of the players and had the respect and liking from not only just the players but from the entire organization. Everybody must remember...this is a fairly young team. When you bash players that don't have confidence in their game then the game becomes more mental than anything. So whenever someone opens their mouth by saying hey Isiah did a bad job....just remember Isiah brought Jalen Rose, the franchise, starbury, eddy curry, JC, Channing Frye, Nate Robinson, Q-Rich, and possibly more players in the future. This is talent believe it or not. The fault does not fall on the players...it's not the GM or the owner....it's the coach....and thankfully we have a new one....

Allen

Benchwarmer
Ok I'll put it this way Brown wanted to coach one way while Thomas wanted to build the team that is opposite of what the coach wants to do.
Thomas wants more offense while Brown wanted more defense. So who has the right of way?

With Brown gone does this team have the potential to be better...yes...will it get better...no.

Does Thomas has the potential to be a great coach evena championship calibur coach...yes...will he fulfill that potential...doubtful.

Does Marbury have the potential to be a champoinship calibur pg...yes...will he fulfill that potential under Thomas as coach...no.

I think its a mistake to fire Brown instead of giving him another year to work out his problems with the players.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
antonio davis is not a worthy starter anymore. we got jalen rose who i personaly think is a lot better than davis. and his gigantic contract comes off of our cap next season. we have the option of using him for trade bait or holding onto him to loosen the cap.

u musta forgot just how sh*tty tim thomas played for ny. he is more arrogant then almost any player in the league. and he got booed practicaly out the garden. im glad he is gone. him and marbury had no chemistry, how would u want a team with him and old ass antonio davis startin. plus davis and thomas were involved in the same trade, it sounds impossible.

and 4 the record i think ur roster would lose to the one we got now by 20+ points...

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
allen, so if u were isiah u would still have tim thomas and mike sweetney and mysteriously eddy curry just appears as our starting center. who would we have given 4 him, a draft pick? yea right. sh*t we got antonio davis for a draft pick also? than how do we have nate, channing, & lee? im sorry is it just me or does this make no sense what so ever???

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
For Starters, if you go and take a CLOSE look at every situation that Larry Brown got into coaching, I am not talking about the ABA. But start when he landed in UCLA, you will see this guy was walking into a very good situation. Like 516 made clear with the cases brought up. David Robinson, should get the credit for turning that team around! We may NEVER see another Center with his SKILL set again. There is a reason why he was listed as one of the best 50 players of all time. Second, LB goes to the Sixers and a young AI had matured physically and mentally and had that killer instinct. Very few youngsters come into the league and dominate. AI just turned it up a notch his second year. The Pistons, well Carlisle did a great job with that team. He most likely would have won it too if he was the coach. The Pistons also, were struggling under Brown, until Dumars brought one of the most versatile big men in Rasheed Wallace. With Sheed there, the Pistons have been a different team. Like my old college coach told me, coaching is really simple, and the credit is usually uncalled for. What it really matters most is the talent on the roster!

Any how, I am happy to see the Knicks do this to Brown for the last 6 weeks. The reason they did it, was to see if Brown would man up for the first time in his life and resign! He wouldn't cause he knows he then loses that contract he signs! Just like he did to the Pistons, he did to the Knicks. Larry Brown cares only about his bank account! He was saying all the same BS things but knew he was done. Now it will be an arbitrator who rules how much Larry Brown gets. This will be very ugly as well!

40 different lineups! For crying out loud! In basketball a team does well, when the players on the court are ONE UNIT. But LB never let this happen! He would yank players in record time. He would de-activate players for long stretches at a time. You have Mo Taylor whose career is over, and you have Lee who is giving EVERYTHING he has on the court, yet LB was showing more love to Taylor. Even though the season was flushed! Most coaches would turn over the majority of the minutes to let the kids develop. Then Nate goes out and puts on a show at the All-Star game, and the whole world is amped to see the kid out of the gate for the second half! What does LB do, but deactivate him for like 12 games straight! larry brown was sabotaging the season, cause he knows his years as a coach are numbered, he wants a GM job. But I really doubt, knowing his track record, few teams will give him control.

Like the Pistons owner said, Larry brown is a bad person! When are you people going to wake up and realize this.

As fro Zeke, it goes much further than his players wanting to play for him. He also likes to push the ball, and understands the way the league is evolving. The game is getting faster, especially with no hand-checking. Stern wants scoring and so this is the future of the league! Zeke also has a strong ability to develop young kids and soon there will be five on the team and if you count Curry that means 6.

Zeke is the right guy for this. The East is a weak Division and we have a chance to win it, us or the Nets.

This team has talent, right now and does not include two young guys they will soon add!

Starters:

Marbury
Francis
Q
Lee
Curry

Bench
Jalen
Crawford
Frye
Nate
James

Finesse

Benchwarmer
I'm new, so I'm gonna jump all over the place.
Isiah is an ego maniac? You mean like Larry Brown, right? Good point, DaGreek34, The guy is a frontrunner with vision. He sees a potentially good team and latches on. Caught a bad one this time, though.
In the 'hind sight is 20-20' category: Everybody wanted Tim Thomas gone when he was here, now he's the flavor of the month? Get real!! Diop wasn't all that sought after last year, now he's the Tim Thomas of the month? That's too funny!! I guess their playoff success has nothing to do with it, huh?
Antonio Davis a 'bridge to the players'? Yeah, that's what I want, a 50 million dollar coach that requires a bridge, one that's so old it might fall into the East River!!
Hey Allen, nice lineup! So Eddy Curry just wanders into camp and we get to keep him if his collar doesn't have an address tag on it? Can we keep him, Mom, puleeeeease?!? Chicago might want something for him, that's my guess, anyway.
Isiah made a mess of this team, huh? Yeah, the nerve of picking Nate Robinson, Channing Frye and David Lee in the draft. What in the world was he thinking?

Starks

Starter
One thing about Thomas that everyone at One Penn Plaza knows about him, is that the dude is the biggest ego maniac to ever step on the garden floor.

I used to work one floor below the Knicks and Rangers floor. Everyone there had an Isaiha story. The guy is scary and gets off on having employees fear him.

I guess this is not important, but atleast know hes got an ugly side

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
Starks said:
One thing about Thomas that everyone at One Penn Plaza knows about him, is that the dude is the biggest ego maniac to ever step on the garden floor.

I used to work one floor below the Knicks and Rangers floor. Everyone there had an Isaiha story. The guy is scary and gets off on having employees fear him.

I guess this is not important, but atleast know hes got an ugly side

Tell me any other NBA Superstar who doesn't put fear into people that work near or around him.

Starks

Starter
Imagine if Brown became the Brooklyn Nets coach and lead them to 3 titles with the league's "second best" point guard???

Allen

Benchwarmer
Starks that would be sweet and ironic at the same time.

But anyway...SXMARBURY you really didn't read my post very carfully. I said offer Chicago Mo Taylor, Malik Rose and Penny Hardaway's expiring contract and either their choice of San Antonio's or Houston's first round pick, not our own, say to them take it or leave it and then wait them out. Not cave by not only offering our first round pick and on top of that, give them the right to exchange
picks at next years draft. Thats insanity.

It is the job of the GM to get the best talent available.
So now I'll ask all of you...is the GM suppose to build a team for what he wants to do or does the GM build a team around what the coach wants to do?
If a gm hires a coach that likes to run the team a certain way, does the gm not have an obligation to get the players that fit that system?

My theory is that IT built a team to coach himself. I believe he sabatoged Brown and even Wilkens. He built a team that is loyal him and him alone.

Isiah Thomas, the GM wanted more offense and got players that accomodated that philosophy, but Larry brown wanted more defense.

Does the GM build a team around what he wants or does he have a resposibility to build a team around what the coach wants?

Allen

Benchwarmer
I'm also afraid of what I'm going to see next season..

We are going to see Marbury, Francis, Crawford, Richardson and Robinson jacking up shots from all over the place eventhough they are not shooting a high percentage.

We are going to see them let anyone and everyone into the paint to do whatever they want.

We are going to see 10 plus turnovers per game.

But hey we are going to run and gun...right?
But we are the Phoenix Suns of the east...right?

There is too much emphasis on offense not enough on defense.
I much rather watch a defensive struggle rather than an offensive circus.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
WOW. It's a conspiracy now? Ok back to reality.Brown did a $h^t job of coaching last year. You can't really defend him and make sense. I mean we can talk about the past and what he's done prior to becoming head coach of the Knicks but all of that is a non issue. I don't really want to go into it again. Isiah is in charge for now. Let's see what he can do.

Allen

Benchwarmer
Well I admit my conspiracy theory about Thomas is as stupid as Sxmarbury's conspiracy theory about Brown sabatoging the season so he can get the players he wants, is it not?

WiL8000

Rotation player
I'm not crazy on how things have gone the past month/season in general, but this may have been the right direction for the Knicks. There was no way the Knicks could get the players Brown wanted this offseason on the roster to play the half court offense. The team is built for speed, as someone stated before, which doesn't fit Larry Brown's system. I do like Brown' s emphasis on defense though, and hope that Isiah Thomas doesn't slack off in that department. Hopefully we make a couple of trades, get this show on the road and have a winning season for once.

jffga

Rookie
sxmarbury516 said:
its a glorious day for the knicks. all of u people who have been blaiming isiah should be happy because now he has a chance to fall flat on his face. he also has a chance to prove all of u wrong. i have faith in him....

and ... you're a moron.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
As of right now...how can you not have faith in isiah thomas? the man has built a team on his beliefs and now he's going to coach them. It's either sink or swim for the man....unlike some peops...I'm giving him a chance and trust me...he will smack LB's team record out the window

Allen

Benchwarmer
1 and only that has been the problem. Thomas has built this team based on his beliefs rather than build a team on what Larry Brown wanted to do.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Yea he didn't pick the most defensive minded players but if he was a good coach or a good person he would have met half way and molded these players into champions. Now that's if he was a great coach for the knicks, and he's not. It's true Isiah has brought in players that fit his style of play but LB is stubborn...as a coach you need to meet half way with the players, especially if some of the players are or were all-stars. LB destroyed starbury's game of the year...he destroyed the franchise's game for the latter part of the season. He's just not a good coach for this team. Plain and simple. The GM is paid to bring in players to make the team win...not to bring in certain people that the coach wants. Isiah has brought in some excellent talent and we couldn't even reach 30 wins. That is the coaches fault. None of the players he brought were known for their defense but if winning is in the future then sacrifices can be made and LB hasn't given that type of attitude.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Yea he didn't pick the most defensive minded players but if he was a good coach or a good person he would have met half way and molded these players into champions. Now that's if he was a great coach for the knicks, and he's not. It's true Isiah has brought in players that fit his style of play but LB is stubborn...as a coach you need to meet half way with the players, especially if some of the players are or were all-stars. LB destroyed starbury's game of the year...he destroyed the franchise's game for the latter part of the season. He's just not a good coach for this team. Plain and simple. The GM is paid to bring in players to make the team win...not to bring in certain people that the coach wants. Isiah has brought in some excellent talent and we couldn't even reach 30 wins. That is the coaches fault. None of the players he brought were known for their defense but if winning is in the future then sacrifices can be made and LB hasn't given that type of attitude.