Unexpected News? Brown's officially canned!

This is retarded...

What is there to debate? A 23-59 record means that something clearly went wrong. The person charged with making the Knicks better was Larry Brown, and oh, by the way, they paid him $50 million dollars to do it. Thank you for making us 10 games worse. This is like drafting Sam Bowie number 2 overall, and oh by the way, leaving Michael Jordan on the board.

Explain these things to me Mr. Larry "All World Coach" Brown:

Why did Channing Frye get so little playing time in the second half?

Why did David Lee get so little playing time period?

Why did you approve the Steve Francis trade and then criticize it?

Why is it that a 20-point 8-assist point guard is your venom catchers mitt?

Why is it that 46 year old Antonio Davis is your savior? Did he ever average 20 and 8 of anything? And if he is the example for all to follow maybe you should tell him to stay out of the stands, and also tell him to tell his wife to stop badgering people.

Under what circumstances is Nate Robinson a better player or point guard than Stephon Marbury?

What kind of example are you trying to set by criticizing Trevor Ariza, of all people, in the media?

Oh...and defense wins championships? These are not the handchecking days... so let's re-evaluate..

2006 Playoff teams

Western Conference:

Lakers - great defensive team? Dont think so..
Clippers - we are talking about the Clippers here....
Grizzlies - Another team that cannot be confused as being "great" defensively
Spurs - maybe in past years... but couldnt seem to stop Dallas at any point in their series
Suns - ha! ha! Phoenix, a great defensive team? How funny is that
Mavericks - Another team that would not be confused with the 2005 Pistons
Nuggets - if you cant stop the Clippers how good defensively can you possibly be?
Kings - notoriously poor defensively so whats new this year? Nothing - but Artest is a beast

Eastern Conference:

Nets - lol...funny... Nets, great defensively
Pistons - The only team that can be considered defensively superior
Cavaliers - name one good defensively player on this team? Oh wait, Larry Hughes...well...thats one....lol
Pacers - No Artest, no D
Bulls - Tyson Chandler is really scary defensively
Bucks - come come now...
Wizards - Those shootouts with the Cavs were great werent they?
Heat - They are decent, but hardly great.

Point being that the overwhelming majority of teams on this playoff list rely on OFFENSE. Stern wants the NBA to be entertaining again. Why do I get the feeling that Pat Riley will once again thrive in this environment? Showtime anyone?

Allen

Benchwarmer
Defense wins championships because one defensive stop can be the difference between winning and losing.
You can't win, if score 100 points but let the opposition score 110 points.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
In most instances, defensive teams win championships. Team defense wins championships, not dominate defense. Again this is a new age folks, as much as I like to see the Bad Boy Pistons and the Roughneck knicks back in the day...we're aren't going to get that today, tommorrow, or ten years from now. Defense nowadays isn't being glorified like it was back in the day. Offense is golden now so everybody wants to shoot and no one wants to play D. So the scores are going up and the defense is getting phased out. Me personally, I prefer defense over offense because once you get into the opponents head with ur defense then your offense will come. But that's just me...

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
Coney Island,

Well said... I agree with you 100%! People always want to rip Marbury, but the dude is one of the few who averages 20 and 8 like you said.

I hated Brown and his sub patterns last year how he tried to ruin Nate Robinson after the all star break. How he cried and cried for defense and intensity and then when David Lee gave this, he would deactivate the kid for long stretches and how he would continue to play old dudes when the season was lost, isnt that the time you play your youngsters?

Charlie Rosen says it best at foxsports, only the players and coaches in the NBA know Larry Brown and one thing he said is how Brown is great at telling a lie with a straight face!

Good riddence, Larry brown..

As you said, no handchecking is making it a guards league again, so we need to open up the offense. Just like the rest of the league is doing.

If Defense wins Championships....

Why were the Mavs and Heat in the finals as opposed to the Spurs and Pistons?

The league is going in the other direction. This has been the case for a few years now. The more successful teams are offensive minded. It is entertaining and thats what the NBA sells.

The point about one stop makes the difference is invalid. One additional basket makes a difference. Just ask the Mavs in Game 3 of the finals.

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
Alonzo played his azz off in the Playoffs, cause for one REASON. He wants to go out a winner. Since he basically stole money from the Raptors and the Nets, I see him retiring. He has a nice set up in Miami so he isn't going to be hurting for money much longer. Now he may want that second ring. But his health needs to be thought of. He is one of the best EVER defensive Low Post players, so that comment has to be handled carefully ALLEN.

As some of the other posters have said. THE NBA is changing. The rule to enforce NO MORE HANDCHECKING is making it possible for Rookies like Chris Paul come in and just put up silly numbers. If you are quick with the dribble, you going to get yours. He did and he also got other people involved.

Now take it a step further, with veterans like AI, Nash, Marbury these guys are essentially UNSTOPABLE cause no longer can you block their path by handchecking. TRUST ME, I AM CERTAIN all you weekend warriors hand check on the weekends. It really helps slow feet, lazy feet, by using your strength to keep a quicker guy infront of you.

Plus, the NBA knows a Shaq comes around not so often. Now this kid who is going to OSU should be a good one, but we will all be watching him this up coming College BBall Season.

The League wants to bring more fans, on top of what they have already. The league isn't doing as well as say 10 years ago. So they want scoring up. Teams running more is a heck of a lot more fun to watch. Plus it is a Guards league now. Wade proved that!

Larry Brown is a dinosaur! His ways are to teach basketball, but really home much teaching do you do at the NBA level. Not that much, you manage, you manage the team, the ego's etc.. Phil said it best, read his books. He tells you there is very little coaching at the NBA level.

Larry Brown needs to head back to college ranks, were he can relax more and TEACH the game. He has wore out his welcome in the NBA with his actions, his managing style and his arrogant ways. He thinks he is bigger than the player, he wants to see his name in the paper.

A coach is a general, he needs to lead his team into battle. The team needs to want to fight for them. A team needs to relate to the coach now a days. Zeke will do that and I expect to see a fantastic season out of our guys, ESPECIALLY our younger guys.

We have some expiring contracts so this is good for our payroll and possible deals. Heck if we hold steady with the roster, I am certain deals will be done with the expiring contracts we have.

The Draft is coming. I like to see the Knicks add a SF who is young and can develop" Shawne Williams of Memphis is my hope, had he stayed in college he is a SURE LOTTERY PICK. The other pick I want is Josh Boone of UCONN. He is a sure 6'10" and can block shots and plays hard on the defensive end.

lets hope Zeke plays uptempo. We need to get the Garden rocking again, it is a new age.

jimkcchief88

All Star
How can you mention AI, Steve Nash and "Starbury" in same sentence??? AI and Nash have won NBA MVP awards. What's Steph done??? This must be a NY thing, dang.

jimkcchief88

All Star
And by the way, If defense doesn't matter, then the Mavs should have won that series. No one will argue the had more offensive weapons and played "the new style uptempo Western Conf" game. So why didn't the Mavs win??? The old Garden chant " DEFENSE!!!"

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
The Mav's lost because they were a powder puff team that couldn't pound it inside like the Heat. When you have a one-two inside attack like Shaq and Wade and you don't have the interior or perimeter defenders to guard the attack then you are going to lose flat out. When wade has more FT attempts then the whole dallas maverick roster then that shows you not only how soft dirk is but how soft everybody else is on that roster and how fast they fall in love with the 3. That's the main reason the Mav's lost...neither team was great defensively

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
First of all, Nash in my opinion is NO MVP. Yeah he is a heck of a player, but that first MVP is a joke! This past season, Lebron was CLEARLY THE MVP of the league. He put up numbers only a few have in history and to join that crew is amazing since Lebron is only 21. That crew is Jordan, Oscar and Jerry West to average; 30 points, 7 boards and 6 assists PER GAME. So he was clearly the MVP this past season, I don't care WHAT ANYONE SAYS. It is criminal that he didnt win it.

Not that I am hating on Nash. He is a heck of a player, and he did a great job leading that team this year without Amare, but the dude wasnt alone. He had Marion and Diaw both who are playing fantastic.

As for AI, I have never liked the guy. Could be my Orange connectiona nd that he is a Hoya. But to average 30 points a game and need 30 PLUS shots to get that, means little to me. People in Phili want that team to get better, THEN RUN SOME PLAYS for the other AI.

If Marbury had infact had the desire to shoot as much as AI, you think he couldn't put up the same numbers? He could with ease. Marbury is like Rodney Dangerfield, no matter what he does he gets no respect! He helped lead a young Suns team to the playoffs and if not for his DWI, he probably would still be there. But the Suns had a problem with Kidd beating his wife, and wanted no more bad headlines, so they shipped him to NY. Then the Suns sign Nash and a mature Amare and Marion the Suns go on their run. But to say Marbury shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence as them is rediculous. Dont have the guy, cause he has been under a microscope since his FRESHMAN year in High School. He loves the game, and yeah he may be cocky but he plays hard. Plus for a career he puts up good numbers.

As for the Mavs. Lets just say FOR SOME REASON the whistle worked when the Mavs were playing defense. The amount of FT trips SHOULD never be that skewered in a Finals Series. Plus Wade is a special player. He has mastered the mid range attack and having Shaq in the post draws attention so that Wade can dominate. The Mavs had that series and don't underestimate them, they will be back. The Series vs the Spurs was one of the best I have seen in my 20 plus years of watching NBA action.

Garden chant of Defense will always be there.. But the league is changing... Of course defense wins, but just like in the NFL, the defense is getting more rules aimed at hurting them. The Knicks need to run. You telling me a guard tandem of Francis and Marbury CANT compete with anyone in the league?

The Knicks will be fine, the Media Whore is gone, so now we can get down to business.

Finesse

Benchwarmer
To add: If Marbury put up as many shots as Iverson, you wouldn't be allowed to say AI's name in the same sentence as Marbury's!! Marbury's percentage would be better and he'd live at the free throw line because of his powerful drives to the rack.
I love AI, but he's a straight gunner in the Pistol Pete mode, just more stylish.

Finesse

Benchwarmer
You know, all this "defense wins championships" noise is trash. I thought the team with the most points wins. What should be said is "key defensive stops win championships".

Allen, you are pissin me off more and more. You are nothing resembling a Knick Fan. You are just another inferior Nets fan. Take your complex and join a Nets forum.

As for the facts: The name of the game is to score. This is not soccer. It's basketball. We score in this league. With the rule changes favoring the offensive player, dominant defenses has been severly under represented in these last few playoff years. Again, it wasnt the Spurs Pistons in the finals. It was the MAVS!!!!! You do remember these Mavs couldnt make a conference finals in years past because they couldnt STOP anyone. You do also remember that Kobe scored 62 in three quarters against them right? Who was in the Western Conference finals? Two GREAT defensive teams huh? Another question, since when did the Heat become a great defensive team? Do you really think that the addition of Shaq makes them great on D? Alonzo, who plays half a game is a better defensive player. But who is more important to the Heat? Shaq is no defensive force. Lets get that straight. So what we have is 4 teams in the finals of their respective conferences and only ONE could be considered a great defensive team. So tell me again, how defense wins championships in TODAYS NBA?

Allen

Benchwarmer
Ok...I'll put it simpler terms...

One blocked shot, one steal, one delfection, one rebound, one turnover is the difference between winning and losing.

I believe the offense should flow from the defense.

If a team wants to win a basketball game, prevent the other team from scoring its as simple as that.

Last edited:

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Coney Island Prodigy said:
Allen, you are pissin me off more and more. You are nothing resembling a Knick Fan. You are just another inferior Nets fan. Take your complex and join a Nets forum.

As for the facts: The name of the game is to score. This is not soccer. It's basketball. We score in this league. With the rule changes favoring the offensive player, dominant defenses has been severly under represented in these last few playoff years. Again, it wasnt the Spurs Pistons in the finals. It was the MAVS!!!!! You do remember these Mavs couldnt make a conference finals in years past because they couldnt STOP anyone. You do also remember that Kobe scored 62 in three quarters against them right? Who was in the Western Conference finals? Two GREAT defensive teams huh? Another question, since when did the Heat become a great defensive team? Do you really think that the addition of Shaq makes them great on D? Alonzo, who plays half a game is a better defensive player. But who is more important to the Heat? Shaq is no defensive force. Lets get that straight. So what we have is 4 teams in the finals of their respective conferences and only ONE could be considered a great defensive team. So tell me again, how defense wins championships in TODAYS NBA?
The game is changing into more of an offensive game but that doesn't mean that no one makes defensive stops anymore...look what happened to Dallas and their D, it was nonexistent and they lost. Detroit...D was nonexistent. Phoenix never had defense so that just leaves miami. The best defensive team in the 'Final 4' and they win the championship. Nevertheless I hate where the game is going now...it's not as entertaining as it used to be. You have Dirk Nowitzki crying to everyone about how he was getting banged all up and how fouls weren't being called his way. If he was playing against the likes of Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, The Old Shaq, The Old Zo, and the old front court of Indiana (Antonio and Dale Davis) then dirk would be getting murked! Charles Barkley was right, if Dirk played in the early 90s...this man would have never been a superstar cuz he would have stayed in Germany where they don't play as physical. The Hustle, the grit, the physical play, THE DEFENSE...they are all non-existent. That's what I want to see...i could care less if they scored a 100 points or if somebody drops 80 points...I want my old school knicks and my old school rivalries back...I don't wanna see this spoiled type of ball...

The 1 and Only said:
T...I want my old school knicks and my old school rivalries back...I don't wanna see this spoiled type of ball...

Well I can tell you this right now, you're not going to get that with this coach, GM, ownership and all the ghetto ballers that Thomas signed and the owner agreed with. Period, end of story.

Allen

Benchwarmer
The 1 and Only said:
The game is changing into more of an offensive game but that doesn't mean that no one makes defensive stops anymore...look what happened to Dallas and their D, it was nonexistent and they lost. Detroit...D was nonexistent. Phoenix never had defense so that just leaves miami. The best defensive team in the 'Final 4' and they win the championship. Nevertheless I hate where the game is going now...it's not as entertaining as it used to be. You have Dirk Nowitzki crying to everyone about how he was getting banged all up and how fouls weren't being called his way. If he was playing against the likes of Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, The Old Shaq, The Old Zo, and the old front court of Indiana (Antonio and Dale Davis) then dirk would be getting murked! Charles Barkley was right, if Dirk played in the early 90s...this man would have never been a superstar cuz he would have stayed in Germany where they don't play as physical. The Hustle, the grit, the physical play, THE DEFENSE...they are all non-existent. That's what I want to see...i could care less if they scored a 100 points or if somebody drops 80 points...I want my old school knicks and my old school rivalries back...I don't wanna see this spoiled type of ball...

1 and only I completely agree.