We win....Its the Players. We lose, its the coach. smh

Toons

is the Bo$$
Comments and thoughts on the topic.

Boggles the mind how some fans think....

We just played a good game against the magic, and lost some steam down the stretch. We had to give all of our energy to make up for our lack of size and didnt get blown out. Yes we could have won, but we gave it our all and were competitive down to the end. Melo wont struggle every game, and being a melo fan, i feel a 40 pt game coming up next....thats what melo does.

We just played a good game against the magic, and lost some steam down the stretch. We had to give all of our energy to make up for our lack of size and didnt get blown out. Yes we could have won, but we gave it our all and were competitive down to the end. Melo wont struggle every game, and being a melo fan, i feel a 40 pt game coming up next....thats what melo does.

WELL, IMHO the end of the game could have been played much differently. There were so many fouls called and foul shots taken, playing an offensive/defensive rotation COULD HAVE POSSIBLY gotten us the win. Taking out Billups and Williams and replacing them with TD and Turiaf when we were shooting foul shots may have gotten us over the hump. But hey who knows....

Gotcha Toons!

I jumped on that bandwagon mysef in the past.

Not this time though. I'm past the point where I blame D'Ant for losing. Melo and STAT gotta be hungry enough to sacrifice themselves on defense and we're easily a 50+ win team....maybe 60.

Coache's philosophy or not it's the players who want that ring and all the fame so they gotta show some effort on D by themselves. It's not enough to do it when you're playing Miami or Chicago you gotta do it all the time!

STAT played horrible D in Orlando, Melo had a poor shooting night. Not D'Antoni's fault. He played the same players he played in Miami - where they all showed great effort - this time they went back to the old scheme of purely relying on their offense.

I don't know why people keep saying our players don't pla D because D'Ant doesn't get in thir face.
I mean it's not like we're talking about some High School players. STAT and Melo are grown men and pretty smart too they sould know by themselves that defense is the key for us.

It's tough to watch 6-10 STAT giving up an offensive rebound and layup to 6-6 Quentin '****in' Richardson just standing there and watching. I mean 2 rebounds for a 6-10 All Star? Are you serious Amar'e?
2 ****ing rebounds guys....

mafra

Legend
Sorry bro... D'antoni contributed to this loss. IT'S UNDENIABLE.

ORL exploded for 37 4th quarter points. Nelson had 3 points at the half.

Landry Fields entered the game with 10:30 to play in the 4th. A minute later Douglas comes out, and then a minute later Carter is removed. At the same time, Nelson comes back in the game. 8:22 to play. Knicks down by a few points. Billups guarding Nelson.

NBA NTWK announcers were saying how... in DET... coach knew better, and would play Stuckey on Nelson. He was too quick for Billups. Nelson just dominates the next 4:30 minutes and ORL pulls away. Nelson goes out and then comes back in. He drains a 3. Game over.

Coach has got to be aware of this potential matchup BEFORE the game, and should be looking for it... especially come the 4th. As soon as Nelson starts heating up... YANK FIELDS and throw Douglas to D-up Nelson.

For TEN minutes... Landry Fields was basically a waste of space out there. A shooting guard with little offense. Landry played 35 minutes and had 1 assist and 6 poitns (1-5 from downtown). SG is the one position you can't afford to give away offense. HENCE THE NAME SHOOTING GUARD.

If you want rebounds, then find a real center.

Not to rag on Fields. Dude was a steal. He hits big shots (normally), and has high basketball IQ. Will pass, rebound, do the little things. BUT please... let's be real here. Dude should not be handed 35-40 minutes every game regardless.

ALSO, I'm tired of watching Chandler, and now Shawne, guard centers. Let's hope this ends now that Jeffries is back.

SO... it was coach who stuck with Fields the entire 4th. Coach sat and watched Nelson take over the game w/out adjusting. Did it cost us the game? Who knows. But we did lose, and those were HIS choices. He must be responsible.

WE KNOW THE DEAL... Dantoni feels like good offense beats good defense. If we shoot the ball, then nothing else matters. This is why Douglas will enter the game ICE COLD and immediately chuck a 3 pointer with 2 minutes left, down 6... B/C this is what the coach preaches.

Gotcha Toons!

I jumped on that bandwagon mysef in the past.

Not this time though. I'm past the point where I blame D'Ant for losing. Melo and STAT gotta be hungry enough to sacrifice themselves on defense and we're easily a 50+ win team....maybe 60.

Coache's philosophy or not it's the players who want that ring and all the fame so they gotta show some effort on D by themselves. It's not enough to do it when you're playing Miami or Chicago you gotta do it all the time!

STAT played horrible D in Orlando, Melo had a poor shooting night. Not D'Antoni's fault. He played the same players he played in Miami - where they all showed great effort - this time they went back to the old scheme of purely relying on their offense.

I don't know why people keep saying our players don't pla D because D'Ant doesn't get in thir face.
I mean it's not like we're talking about some High School players. STAT and Melo are grown men and pretty smart too they sould know by themselves that defense is the key for us.

It's tough to watch 6-10 STAT giving up an offensive rebound and layup to 6-6 Quentin '****in' Richardson just standing there and watching. I mean 2 rebounds for a 6-10 All Star? Are you serious Amar'e?
2 ****ing rebounds guys....

Defensive matchups were the key to this loss. Nothing the players can do about that. Billips couldnt control Nelson and obviously Williams shouldnt be anywhere near Dwight.

mafra

Legend
"We played hard and we got to the point where we drew the line and we said we're not going to let this one slip away," said Magic reserve Quentin Richardson, who had 10 points. "We knew this was a big game we needed to win."

And it was... We played them 3 times. Had we taken all 3, there was a chance we could have moved up and dropped ORL in the seeding. All that was lost last night. Oh well.

moneyg

Starter

IMO....Q rich's defense on melo won the game.. get it defense....our non defense on jameer..lost us the game.. get it defense...

Jameer said it himself...

parphrase...."I knew they were going under the pick.. so i knew if I cam off the screen harder..the wouldnt be able to contain me"...JN

106pts is enought offense to win a game.. if you play defense...get it defense....

defense leads to offense..

our coach has to find a balance between O and D...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
IMO....Q rich's defense on melo won the game.. get it defense....our non defense on jameer..lost us the game.. get it defense...

Jameer said it himself...

parphrase...."I knew they were going under the pick.. so i knew if I cam off the screen harder..the wouldnt be able to contain me"...JN

106pts is enought offense to win a game.. if you play defense...get it defense....

defense leads to offense..

our coach has to find a balance between O and D...

No one including Toons was suggesting defense isn't important...get it?

He is merely pointing out that many on this board assert that when we win it's because of the players and when we lose it's because of the coach...get it?

He is merely pointing out that many on this board assert that when we win it's because of the players and when we lose it's because of the coach...get it?

What are you Toons mouthpiece? Can the man speak for himself? IMHO, MDA did nothing to try to WIN this game. A personal change here or there on DEFENSE would have possibly got us the W.

Oh. Its funny how you understand EXACTLY what Toons is saying, but when you're presented with a quote from MDA it seems incomprehensible to you. Get it?

mafra

Legend

It's not just people on this board... It's practically everyone involved in the NBA... All I ever hear is people talking about MD as a quality Xs-&-Os offensive coach, but that his system isn't suited for the NBA. That you can't win with his style.

DET showed that SUPURB defenisve teams, who lack off. skill, have chance to win NBA title. I can't recall one team to win a title with the imverse philosophy.

MD is a tick above .500 in his career. Well below it here in NY. DEN has 4 of our players. 3 of which play significant minutes. HOw come Karl gets his guys to hold teams under 110 points?

moneyg

Starter

O'antoni has to find a balance.. which he has not yet....so its his fault.. mostly... he is subbin in and subbin out????.. right???

Sorry bro... D'antoni contributed to this loss. IT'S UNDENIABLE.

ORL exploded for 37 4th quarter points. Nelson had 3 points at the half.

Landry Fields entered the game with 10:30 to play in the 4th. A minute later Douglas comes out, and then a minute later Carter is removed. At the same time, Nelson comes back in the game. 8:22 to play. Knicks down by a few points. Billups guarding Nelson.

NBA NTWK announcers were saying how... in DET... coach knew better, and would play Stuckey on Nelson. He was too quick for Billups. Nelson just dominates the next 4:30 minutes and ORL pulls away. Nelson goes out and then comes back in. He drains a 3. Game over.

Coach has got to be aware of this potential matchup BEFORE the game, and should be looking for it... especially come the 4th. As soon as Nelson starts heating up... YANK FIELDS and throw Douglas to D-up Nelson.

For TEN minutes... Landry Fields was basically a waste of space out there. A shooting guard with little offense. Landry played 35 minutes and had 1 assist and 6 poitns (1-5 from downtown). SG is the one position you can't afford to give away offense. HENCE THE NAME SHOOTING GUARD.

If you want rebounds, then find a real center.

Not to rag on Fields. Dude was a steal. He hits big shots (normally), and has high basketball IQ. Will pass, rebound, do the little things. BUT please... let's be real here. Dude should not be handed 35-40 minutes every game regardless.

ALSO, I'm tired of watching Chandler, and now Shawne, guard centers. Let's hope this ends now that Jeffries is back.

SO... it was coach who stuck with Fields the entire 4th. Coach sat and watched Nelson take over the game w/out adjusting. Did it cost us the game? Who knows. But we did lose, and those were HIS choices. He must be responsible.

WE KNOW THE DEAL... Dantoni feels like good offense beats good defense. If we shoot the ball, then nothing else matters. This is why Douglas will enter the game ICE COLD and immediately chuck a 3 pointer with 2 minutes left, down 6... B/C this is what the coach preaches.

I'm all for a new coach! I want to see D'Ant go as badly as anyone!

Fact is though: We won't get a new coach!

We gotta win despite our coach - he is what he is. So the players have 2 options:

A - Continue to use D'Ants offensive gameplan as an excuse and finish the season 41-41

or

B - Get themselves together, start hustlin' and play defense despite D'Antoni beeing the coach.

Matchups and rotations are one thing and you are right about it, but when our 6'10 PF slash C gets 2 rebounds a night and allows a 6'6 completely unathletic SG offensive rebounds and lay ins while standing next to him - it's hardly the coache's fault. It's just an excuse.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
What are you Toons mouthpiece? Can the man speak for himself? IMHO, MDA did nothing to try to WIN this game. A personal change here or there on DEFENSE would have possibly got us the W.

Oh. Its funny how you understand EXACTLY what Toons is saying, but when you're presented with a quote from MDA it seems incomprehensible to you. Get it?

Says the guy responding to a post made at another poster...

I am not Toons mouthpiece I just saw Money ranting about something no one was disputing. Simmer down.

I answered you in the other thread with two videos that Im sure you are afraid to watch. If you want to pick that debate up, go to that thread and try to muster a response to my counterpoints. Get it? Doubt it!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
O'antoni has to find a balance.. which he has not yet....so its his fault.. mostly... he is subbin in and subbin out????.. right???

Yet when they win with balance like they did against Miami it's the players and not D'antoni hence the Toons thread.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
It's not just people on this board... It's practically everyone involved in the NBA... All I ever hear is people talking about MD as a quality Xs-&-Os offensive coach, but that his system isn't suited for the NBA. That you can't win with his style.

DET showed that SUPURB defenisve teams, who lack off. skill, have chance to win NBA title. I can't recall one team to win a title with the imverse philosophy.

MD is a tick above .500 in his career. Well below it here in NY. DEN has 4 of our players. 3 of which play significant minutes. HOw come Karl gets his guys to hold teams under 110 points?

I know and his record has nothing to do with coaching the Knicks while they shed salary bringing back inferior expiring talent for his first two years. :thumbsup:

If anything we should thank D'ant for putting his record in jeopardy since he knew Walsh planned to shed talent in order to get us under the cap for 2010.

mafra

Legend
I know and his record has nothing to do with coaching the Knicks while they shed salary bringing back inferior expiring talent for his first two years. :thumbsup:

If anything we should thank D'ant for putting his record in jeopardy since he knew Walsh planned to shed talent in order to get us under the cap for 2010.

D'antoni took the money. That's why he came here. His motives were far from altruistic. Hey, he had a halfway decent enough lineup to compete for the 8th seed in the East. he opted to play Starbury over Duhon and the rest is history.

Let's not applaud Dant for his race to the bottom of the Eastern Conference. He pushed to draft Gallo. He even applauded when Love was taken so he wouldn't have a shot to come to NY.

A good coach gets MORE out of his roster. Dant has yet to do that here in NY.

I give him credit for what he does with PGs, but that's only b/c his system stresses extra possessions... and that pads their stats.

I'll give him credit for Chandler and Shawne.

BUt I will NEVER accept his philosophy that he wants a small C who can stretch the floor and pull away other BIgs from the paint.

AND, pinch me when this guy draws up a play on his clipboard that helps us win a game... How often do we see us running around clueless at the end of games, coming out of a timeout, when we have 13 seconds to get a bucket?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW Mafra, Mike D'Antoni was 232-96 in four full seasons with the Suns. That is just a bit over .500, no? :teeth:

mafra

Legend
Yet when they win with balance like they did against Miami it's the players and not D'antoni hence the Toons thread.

Billups told MD Carter could guard Wade. Melo switched to guard Lebron by himself. Doesn't sounds like MD was adjusting or making bold moves? Give him credit for giving in to his player's demands tho. That's his philosophy. Hardly practice. Little study. Just go out and play (run and shoot).

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
D'antoni took the money. That's why he came here. His motives were far from altruistic. Hey, he had a halfway decent enough lineup to compete for the 8th seed in the East. he opted to play Starbury over Duhon and the rest is history.

Let's not applaud Dant for his race to the bottom of the Eastern Conference. He pushed to draft Gallo. He even applauded when Love was taken so he wouldn't have a shot to come to NY.

A good coach gets MORE out of his roster. Dant has yet to do that here in NY.

I give him credit for what he does with PGs, but that's only b/c his system stresses extra possessions... and that pads their stats.

I'll give him credit for Chandler and Shawne.

BUt I will NEVER accept his philosophy that he wants a small C who can stretch the floor and pull away other BIgs from the paint.

AND, pinch me when this guy draws up a play on his clipboard that helps us win a game... How often do we see us running around clueless at the end of games, coming out of a timeout, when we have 13 seconds to get a bucket?

Uhm, D'ant left Phoenix because of the shakeup in th Front Office. He did not get along with Kerr and surprise surprise, Kerr had a horrible tenure as GM.

How can you say he doesn't get more from his roster when Lee, Chandler, Felton and Williams all had career bests under his tutelage? How can you state that when Gallo, and TD steadily got better each year? How can you say that when a 2nd round pick is playing like a ROY? How can you say that when he had us competing for the 5th spot when everyone predicted the Knicks would struggle to make the playoffs?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Billups told MD Carter could guard Wade. Melo switched to guard Lebron by himself. Doesn't sounds like MD was adjusting or making bold moves? Give him credit for giving in to his player's demands tho. That's his philosophy. Hardly practice. Little study. Just go out and play (run and shoot).

Exactly, when we win it's the players and when we lose its the coaches fault. i know were you stand, I just don't agree.