We win....Its the Players. We lose, its the coach. smh

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Nash and Amar'e will do that for you. Nash was D'Antoni's wet dream in real life. There is perhaps only on other player similar to him in the NBA... Deron Williams.

Nash was a slightly above average PG prior to playing under D'ant. D'ant turned Nash into an elite PG and coached up a raw 9th pick out of HS into a beast.

But of course you would credit the players for pulling D'ant along in Phoenix while blaming D'ant for any poor play over the last 2 seasons...

Toons

is the Bo$$
so why dont we have a big.???... i guess its walsh fault for giving O'antoni the players he asked for

actually, it was walsh and dantoni that didnt want to include mozgov in the trade, but dolans decision to overrule and include a big, coveted by our coach and gm. It is direcly walsh and dantoni that signed jefferies because he is a defensive big at 6'11 240lbs

MusketeerX

Rotation player
no way you would want Noah to play centre for us? a guy who averages a double double and is a natural centre? wow, i am at a lost for words.

i never said he wouldnt help our defense, he would. But it wouldnt be by leaps and bounds.

Would play him at center. Yes. Doesn't mean he's not undersized. We picked up Jeffries because of lack of size (who will also be undersized at center). I will give MDA credit that he wants him on the team.

Still doesn't change the fact that he doesn't coach team defense and we lose games by 6 points despite scoring 110........

IMO, Tom Thibodeau would have us at 5-10 more wins at this point in the season. If Tom were coaching last night, we would have won the game. There is no doubt in my mind.

D'Antoni got out coached, and quite easily. Stan Van Gundy had a hot hand in Nelson, and he just kept going to him -- same pick and roll play, over and over again. D'Antoni did not make one adjustment to get the ball out of Nelson's hands early enough in the shot clock to force them to run different plays...

Oh and to support Moneyg, the majority of the players we have are a direct relation to D'Antoni's system... You say they don't play D, but that is because MDA wanted players like that in his system.

Last edited:

Toons

is the Bo$$
with that magic team, and with nelson, its like you pick your poison. Its not stans good coaching that made nelson catch fire. I play ball all the time, and you always feed the hot hand...thats not smart coaching, its common sense.

and i agree about 5....but 10 wins is a real stretch considering we just got melo and billups.

Ok, do you agree that we played good defense for 3 quarters?

MusketeerX

Rotation player
with that magic team, and with nelson, its like you pick your poison. Its not stans good coaching that made nelson catch fire. I play ball all the time, and you always feed the hot hand...thats not smart coaching, its common sense.

and i agree about 5....but 10 wins is a real stretch considering we just got melo and billups.

Ok, do you agree that we played good defense for 3 quarters?

We played good defense for a span of 1 to 1/1/2 quarters. We picked it up in the beginning of the second and lost it towards the middleof the third. They scored 67 points in the second half. 32 in the second quarter. Our scoring kept us in the third quarter, but then we slowed down (as all teams will do when they play a good defensive team).

Fair enough point about SVG... However, doesn't that make MDA's coaching that much worse. If the concept is so simple, then shouldn't it be easier to stop it.

He had no one rotate out to Ryan Andersen so that Amar'e could protect the paint. He did not have his players show hard enough on the screen to stop the penetration into the paint.

There were any number of things he could have done, but he didn't stop any of it... 35 points in one quarter???? Is that not the slightest big ridiculous?

At least admit that the breakdown in the second half was more than just players not wanting to play defense.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Nash was a slightly above average PG prior to playing under D'ant. D'ant turned Nash into an elite PG and coached up a raw 9th pick out of HS into a beast.

But of course you would credit the players for pulling D'ant along in Phoenix while blaming D'ant for any poor play over the last 2 seasons...

Oh and I completely disagree with this. Nash was always an elite point guard who was given the chance to thrive in D'Antoni's system, which is very good for a smart point guard.

And, no I don't blame D'Antoni for every bad piece of play for the last two seasons. They were rebuilding years and I think he rightfully got a pass. This year, however, not much has changed despite having a really good team.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Oh and I completely disagree with this. Nash was always an elite point guard who was given the chance to thrive in D'Antoni's system, which is very good for a smart point guard.

Going from 8.8 to 11.5 in one year while increasing your PPG by almost 2 and FG% is what made him elite. Look at what D'ant did for Felton!

moneyg

Starter
actually, it was walsh and dantoni that didnt want to include mozgov in the trade, but dolans decision to overrule and include a big, coveted by our coach and gm. It is direcly walsh and dantoni that signed jefferies because he is a defensive big at 6'11 240lbs

tmoz is a 5...jj is a 3...gallo is a 3....

how many other 5's other than curry & turiaf have we had on this team in 3 years???

who fault is that???

Toons

is the Bo$$
on the ryan anderson point,

if anderson is amare's man, anderson is in the game to shoot and pull stoudy out of the paint to keep the defense honest. If amare stayed low, an perimeter guy would have to rotate.....would it be nelsons man? or richardsons man? the 3 of them are lethat from behind the arc....

Yes it was better coaching, but he had better pieces. We also lost billups down the stretch. We dont have the luxury to pick up any injuries with the thin roster we have now.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

how many other 5's other than curry & turiaf have we had on this team in 3 years???

who fault is that???

Darko and Barron. Not bad when you consider how rare a legit center is in the league especially when two of those years were cap shedding rebuilding years not meant to compete.

BTW, JJ is 6'11" and can play one of 3 positions so simply claiming he is a SF is not being honest.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Going from 8.8 to 11.5 in one year while increasing your PPG by almost 2 and FG% is what made him elite. Look at what D'ant did for Felton!

Nash was always going to be great. D'Antoni's numbers artificially inflated his stats a bit, but Steve Nash was always going to be an astounding player. I don't think you can deny that. He was always going to be an all-star -- no matter who was coaching him.

Felton played in a different, faster paced system and his stats went up. There is no miracle in that. He'll put up slightly lower numbers in Denver if he ever starts (because the system isn't as fast -- though still faster). MDA didn't teach him how to be a PG, he just gave him a system so that his natural abilities could come out... Same with Nash.

Toons

is the Bo$$

who fault is that???

i dont know g.....im only a fan.

i do know that zach randolph had to go because of his contract, curry is a failure, darko had a bad attitude and so forth. Walsh managed to get 7'1'' deandre jordan in a draft day deal, drafted mozgov, was against trading mozgov, picked up jefferies (stayed in contact with barron though he should have got him first) and has said multiple times to the media that they are searching for a big and a backup pg.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Nash was always going to be great. D'Antoni's numbers artificially inflated his stats a bit, but Steve Nash was always going to be an astounding player. I don't think you can deny that. He was always going to be an all-star -- no matter who was coaching him.

Felton played in a different, faster paced system and his stats went up. There is no miracle in that. He'll put up slightly lower numbers in Denver if he ever starts (because the system isn't as fast -- though still faster). MDA didn't teach him how to be a PG, he just gave him a system so that his natural abilities could come out... Same with Nash.

LOL, I can't believe you are even debating this. SHows how much you hate this coach and are uwilling to credit him anything! Always going to be great!? He came to Phoenix in his 9th year!

That system you are referring to is D'ants system. It also lead to an INCREASE in FG%. If what you said was true that it was just a virtue of more plays his FG% would have most likely gone down not up. Not to mention career years for Lee, Chandler and Williams. Oh and how about Barbosa and DIaw being shadows of their former selves once leaving D'antoni? I know, it's the system, not the coach who created it! :teeth:

moneyg

Starter
Darko and Barron. Not bad when you consider how rare a legit center is in the league especially when two of those years were cap shedding rebuilding years not meant to compete.

BTW, JJ is 6'11" and can play one of 3 positions so simply claiming he is a SF is not being honest.

we could of still had baron...so i guess im blamming walsh...cuz im sure O'antoni wanted him..right???

its clear.. we dont put a proirity on bigs

moneyg

Starter

JJ is a 3.. can play the 4 in stretches.. can not defend.. howard.. shaq.. garnet... lopez twins...etc.. i can go on for days....deadre...he is not strong enough.. height means nada.. so i guess bargaini at 7'1'' is a center... and so is dirk...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
we could of still had baron...so i guess im blamming walsh...cuz im sure O'antoni wanted him..right???

its clear.. we dont put a proirity on bigs

Barron is trash dude. JJ is a way better pick up and seasoned vet. My only issue with JJ was his contract. He is a versatile defender and role player and perfectly acceptable at a reasonable price.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
JJ is a 3.. can play the 4 in stretches.. can not defend.. howard.. shaq.. garnet... lopez twins...etc.. i can go on for days....deadre...he is not strong enough.. height means nada.. so i guess bargaini at 7'1'' is a center... and so is dirk...

No one can really guard Howard or Shaq one on one. JJ can def play defense on Garnett and the Lopez twins.

moneyg

Starter
No one can really guard Howard or Shaq one on one. JJ can def play defense on Garnett and the Lopez twins.

JJ can not guard the lopez twins...

JJ cant guard noah... or bozer... so will get destroyes by the bulls if we mee them

jj cant guard garnet.. so we would lose to the celtics...

Boston as a team.. has shown they can take howard out the game...

moneyg

Starter
garnett cant defent howard one on one
no body can.... but boston has shown that their defensive principlae.. and good team defense.. can fustrate howard in the playoffs

team defense....we dont have the size ... and we damn sure dont have the scheme

thx coach