Who is our best young player?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
I disagree with anyone who theory on Chandler b.ball IQ is lower than Gallo.
u really got to be kidding. Chandler is a 6.8 225 lb SF.
In the only SLG Gallo played in....
Balkman was center, Chandler was PF, Gallo SF, Roberson SG, Collins PG.
The Knicks won the game on Balkman/Chandler rebounding, Chandler/Roberson
high scores, and Collins/Chandler crunchtime defense.

Do u really think Chandler liked the role Dantoni gave him last season?
Wilson Chandler had a 47% FG percentage 5 rbds/2 ast/1 to/ last season
while hating to struggle at the SG position every minute of the entire season.
Its a big difference to Gallo 42% FG percentage 5 rbds/1 ast/2 to last season
performing at his original position SF throughout the entire season.

If Wilson Chandler could chase PG/SG all game plus pull those stat numbers
as the team SG, imagine how high his IQ and role would be to the team if
he performed at the 3-spot for 33 minutes per game???

My last post was in response to Kiya's Post quoted here

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
^ In fact, one of the very reasons people think Lebron can go down as one of the great players ever is because his combination of height, raw athletic ability, AND amazing ball-handling + PG skills.

Chris Paul is a wonderful player but I'm not sure his 6'0 frame lends itself to him dominating the game at anywhere near the level that Magic did. I think a great comparison actually IS Isiah, which is why I do agree with you that CP3 has the potential to lead a team to an NBA title. But I don't think there is any way that a hall of fame caliber wing player wouldn't be considered just as, or if not, more valuable in today's NBA game.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Randolph.

Plain and simple. He has more talent. Ballhandling, rebounding, etc.

Plus he can shoot a little bit.

Both have a lot of talent though and it will be interesting to see who develops into the better player.

Don't count out Walker either. He seems like he's making progress as well.

I'm gunna love watching those 3 in the starting lineup together when they are fully developed.

Randolph.

Plain and simple. He has more talent. Ballhandling, rebounding, etc.

Plus he can shoot a little bit.

Both have a lot of talent though and it will be interesting to see who develops into the better player.

Don't count out Walker either. He seems like he's making progress as well.

I'm gunna love watching those 3 in the starting lineup together when they are fully developed.

Randolph and Walker are never going to get a chance to develop because Coach Dantoni doesn't play the younger players he has a history of doing that . Look at last year when we were totally out of the playoff picture he still gave Duhon the nod over Douglas, or earlier in the season how our lottery pick Jordan Hill didn't play a lick while all the other lottery picks excluding Rubio played 20min plus.

Gallinari is our best young player and then Chandler because of what they bring to the game.Chandler and his defense/rebounding and Gallinari with his jump-shot/height advantage. Anyone arguing Randolph needs to see that he isn't good for this team he has gotten into several altercations with his coach now imagine him and Mike D they are bound to clash.Ask Nate Robinson what happens to players who clash with Mike DNP.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wilson Chandler is the "BEST" young player on our roster in the 2010-11 season.
Wilson Chandler/Beasley/Deng/Carmelo are not "point-fowards", u can not
put these fowards in a situation where they have to perform as a Guard.
Their IQ as a foward is high/as a guard its low.
They are not Jordan/Pippin or Lebron James.

When I figured out SLG = Summer League Game and that was the basis for your argument I LOLed hard. I love how you seemingly offer up pointless posts that are backed up by how you feel or 1 Freaking Summer League Game! Summer League is worthless in my opinion as those games are meaningless much like your opinions. When Paul and I say Gallo has a higher I.Q. than Chandler we cite their entire careers not freaking summer league games! I also cite that most people who follow the Knicks and the NBA for a living have made Gallo the consensus better player.

Chandler's I.Q. would be better if he played PF or SF? You MAKE NO SENSE, How does him playing SG make him dumb? I.Q. is not affected by position played it is simply inherent.
This is a DUM statement by the arthor.
What would Shaq/D.Howard IQ be as a SG or SF?
a dum question for a dum arthor.

Gallo is a better passer, playmaker, ballhandler, these are the traits of someone with a higher I.Q. and I'll give you the reason why he has a better I.Q. while European player may get flack for being more finesse and less physical then American players, Europeans often have a more diverse skill set. Gallo started playing in the Pros when he was 16 or something, thats why his I.Q. and Savvy far surpass many player his age. In fact thats why I believe what athletic shortcomings he has such as defense, rebounding blocking will be made up for by that superior I.Q. Don't Underestimate it. Heres a pair of guys who have made a living using their superior I.Q.

J. Kidd
Steve Nash

Playing in the D.League is considered proffesional ball, your point?

Do u know anything about Gallo's first full season in the NBA?
u shouldve went to at least one of the Knicks preseason games in MSG
last season.
u shouldve listen to the sport writers/anouncers response after Dantoni's
comment, "Gallo is the best shooter I ever seen.".
It was written all over the walls in MSG during the preseason games,
Dantoni was investing in a losing 2009-10 Knick season to "safe-face"
in working the entire season on the only player picture (Gallo) on the
MSG walls.
And Dantini comment only verified it. Plus the lack of production Dantoni
receive from his players the 2nd season.

Dantoni starting the 2009-10 season off giving Gallo 33 mpg, which cause Dantoni
to have personal-conflict with several Knick players which lead to the worst
Knick start in franchise history (1-11 record start).
If Gallo was all that good in practice, I'm sure his teammates wouldve
accept him getting 33 mpg with no problems.
There was a big reason for so many players receiving DNP.

Hint: The Knicks went on a four game winning streak.
The first game of the winning streak Gallo was DNP to injury.
The second game Gallo was given 14 minutes of playingtime.
The third game Gallo was given 20 minutes of playingtime.
The forth game Gallo was given 28 minutes of playingtime.
The fifth losing-game Gallo was given 35 minutes of playingtime.
The sixth losing game Larry Hughes was DNP with injury.
I'm sure these 6 games are far from your comprehension or
understanding organize basketball, many headcoaches got FIRED
from this type of episode.
Headcoach Frank Johnson got fired for this type of episode giving Dantoni
his 2nd chance at becoming a NBA headcoach.

How many times have u read members in KO forum mention "why Gallo
teammates dont throw him the ball?", early in the season.
u have to remember the Christmas Game with a slick-hair Gallo living on
the 3-point line all game doing nothing on offense/defense.
Or did u forget that Gallo disapeared throughout December to February
just putting up stat numbers? the word BUST came up alot during that
period in the KO forum and alot of other Knick forums.
:smokin::gony: :smokin:

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Rating best young players

Randolph

Gallo

Chandler

Walker

Douglas

Mozgov

Fields

Ager

Rautins

Jordan

....best mid 20's players....

Felton

Azabuke

Mason Jr.

Kiyaman

Legend
No, a head coach's first priority is to win games. He has no control over the roster.

That and obviously we didn't have much of an uptempo offense, we had CHRIS DUHON as our PG and main facilitator/distributor...what did you expect?

In some ways your right about a coach first priority, what u left out was how the headcoach goes about building a winning team.
The Lakers were a Four All-Star winning team for two years before Phil Jackson coach the Lakers. Jackson came in and made the Lakers trade two of their All-Stars (Van Exel/Eddie Johnson) to have a Championship season his first season.

Duhon/Roberson signing were 98% Dantoni doing.
Walsh 2% were making out the contracts.
Chicago was the first team to speak to Phoenix about offering Dantoni a contract.
If Dantoni had watch any college ball he couldve been coaching PG-Derrik Rose.
Only thing wrong, there was no way in hell Dantoni couldve got Chicago to draft a 18 year old SF-Gallo with a first pick.

Chandler has to stay healthy or he will never be above Gallo and Randolph

And you really think Randolph, who put up numbers of 11ppg, 6.5 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks per 21 min is a bench player???

Those numbers make him a starter on any team, Don Nelson's Nuggets is just run with handcuffs, like Nate Mcmillan's blazers are. Granted that i would rather have those coaches than Mike D, but atleast we can make these payers feel a little free and excited about being on this team.

Randolph and Gallo can be great players at any moment and Chandler can as well, BUT Chandler has the most to prove.

Chandler has to stay healthy, he has to consistently slash to the hoop and shoot mid range shots, and he has to stop shooting three's at a high rate, which he did at the end of the season before the injury.

His bball IQ has to improve, he has to work on fundamentals, like staying on the court and not stepping out of bounce every game!

His dumb IQ can hinder his development to being an all star which his talent and body can allow him to be.

I am not going to make much comment on Anthony Randolph, or be silly to put
Randolph above two players (Chandler/Gallo) that put in 30 minute performances
in 81 games of a season.
There is a good reason why Randolph was subject to getting garbage time minutes in GS.
So your stats on Randolph 21 minutes of playingtime on a poor bigman team dont hold much
weight in this thread.

Do u recall Chandler IQ (2008-9) in a lineup of:
PG-Duhon
SG-Nate
SF-Chandler
PF-Harrington
C-Lee
The Knicks above 5-man lineup came together meshing after the 6 games in
9 days vs Lakers/Cavs/Celtics/@Blazer/@Warriors/@Clippers, they may have
lost all 6 games but the score were close with one overtime.

Having a record of 21-25 go to 21-31 after those 6 games in 9 days.
The 5-man lineup got back on track to have a 24-32 record on the night of
the trading deadline.
Dantoni added a 30 minute Larry Hughes into the lineup his 2nd day on the team.
The same Larry Hughes who havnt played ball in the past two months
automatically gets 30 minutes with new players.
While F/C-Wilcox who been getting steady minutes each game on OKC gets
a Dantoni DNP his first 8 games as a Knick.

The Knicks had 24 wins with 26 games left (13 home games) in the season.
How come the Knicks only won 8 games out of the next 26 games???

jimkcchief88

All Star
Food for thought:

The Lakers compiled a 60–22 record in the regular season and reached the 1980 NBA Finals,[22] in which they faced the Philadelphia 76ers, who were led by forward Julius Erving. The Lakers took a 3–2 lead in the series, but Abdul-Jabbar, who averaged 33 points a game in the series,[23] sprained his ankle in Game 5 and could not play in Game 6.[20] Paul Westhead decided to start Johnson at center in Game 6; Johnson recorded 42 points, 15 rebounds, seven assists, and three steals in a 123–107 win, while playing guard, forward, and center at different times during the game.[20] Johnson became the only rookie to win the NBA Finals MVP award,[20] and his clutch performance is still regarded as one of the finest in NBA history.[5][24][25] He also became one of four players to win NCAA and NBA championships in consecutive years.[26]

That's another time a PG LEAD HIS TEAM to a championship..

Like someonelse pointed out, Majic could play all five positions, and started at center in that game. Since you aren't old enough to remember this one, I suggest the you watch the Majic/Bird documentary that was on HBO. Its awesome and tracks both of thier careers from highschool to after thier NBA careers. I teared up a couple of times watching it. I was a teenager during alot of that, so I had forgotten alot of that stuff. For example: Larry Bird's back troubles came from an injury paving his own driveway, not while playing basketball. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wilson Chandler is the "BEST" young player on our roster in the 2010-11 season.
Wilson Chandler/Beasley/Deng/Carmelo are not "point-fowards", u can not
put these fowards in a situation where they have to perform as a Guard.
Their IQ as a foward is high/as a guard its low.
They are not Jordan/Pippin or Lebron James.

Playing in the D.League is considered proffesional ball, your point?

Do u know anything about Gallo's first full season in the NBA?
u shouldve went to at least one of the Knicks preseason games in MSG
last season.
u shouldve listen to the sport writers/anouncers response after Dantoni's
comment, "Gallo is the best shooter I ever seen.".
It was written all over the walls in MSG during the preseason games,
Dantoni was investing in a losing 2009-10 Knick season to "safe-face"
in working the entire season on the only player picture (Gallo) on the
MSG walls.
And Dantini comment only verified it. Plus the lack of production Dantoni
receive from his players the 2nd season.

Dantoni starting the 2009-10 season off giving Gallo 33 mpg, which cause Dantoni
to have personal-conflict with several Knick players which lead to the worst
Knick start in franchise history (1-11 record start).
If Gallo was all that good in practice, I'm sure his teammates wouldve
accept him getting 33 mpg with no problems.
There was a big reason for so many players receiving DNP.

Hint: The Knicks went on a four game winning streak.
The first game of the winning streak Gallo was DNP to injury.
The second game Gallo was given 14 minutes of playingtime.
The third game Gallo was given 20 minutes of playingtime.
The forth game Gallo was given 28 minutes of playingtime.
The fifth losing-game Gallo was given 35 minutes of playingtime.
The sixth losing game Larry Hughes was DNP with injury.
I'm sure these 6 games are far from your comprehension or
understanding organize basketball, many headcoaches got FIRED
from this type of episode.
Headcoach Frank Johnson got fired for this type of episode giving Dantoni
his 2nd chance at becoming a NBA headcoach.

How many times have u read members in KO forum mention "why Gallo
teammates dont throw him the ball?", early in the season.
u have to remember the Christmas Game with a slick-hair Gallo living on
the 3-point line all game doing nothing on offense/defense.
Or did u forget that Gallo disapeared throughout December to February
just putting up stat numbers? the word BUST came up alot during that
period in the KO forum and alot of other Knick forums.
:smokin::gony: :smokin:

On the money posts KIYA. Keep on posting to keep these fools honest. I LOVE this basketball IQ crap. And I am the resident RACIST on the board. The "white" or Euro-player always has the HIGH basketball IQ to make up for any physical deficiencies, while the "black" player has the "athleticism" but LOW IQ. Wilson is a small forward forced to play the 2 because Gallo is soaking up all the minutes at 3. That's in and the end. No more of this high basketball IQ crap for a 6'10" guy who camps out at the 3 point line because he is too soft to go inside. Of course he gets looked off by his teamates and frozen out because they are tired of running the floor to watch him launch 25 foot bricks whenever they pass it to him. Big men must earn their money inside first. I hope Gallo turns out(or really gets shipped out for Melo), but gimme Wil the Thril for my money. You can teach shooting, you can't teach athleticism. On Chief!!!

Paul1355

All Star
In some ways your right about a coach first priority, what u left out was how the headcoach goes about building a winning team.
The Lakers were a Four All-Star winning team for two years before Phil Jackson coach the Lakers. Jackson came in and made the Lakers trade two of their All-Stars (Van Exel/Eddie Johnson) to have a Championship season his first season.

Duhon/Roberson signing were 98% Dantoni doing.
Walsh 2% were making out the contracts.
Chicago was the first team to speak to Phoenix about offering Dantoni a contract.
If Dantoni had watch any college ball he couldve been coaching PG-Derrik Rose.
Only thing wrong, there was no way in hell Dantoni couldve got Chicago to draft a 18 year old SF-Gallo with a first pick.

I am not going to make much comment on Anthony Randolph, or be silly to put
Randolph above two players (Chandler/Gallo) that put in 30 minute performances
in 81 games of a season.
There is a good reason why Randolph was subject to getting garbage time minutes in GS.
So your stats on Randolph 21 minutes of playingtime on a poor bigman team dont hold much
weight in this thread.

Do u recall Chandler IQ (2008-9) in a lineup of:
PG-Duhon
SG-Nate
SF-Chandler
PF-Harrington
C-Lee
The Knicks above 5-man lineup came together meshing after the 6 games in
9 days vs Lakers/Cavs/Celtics/@Blazer/@Warriors/@Clippers, they may have
lost all 6 games but the score were close with one overtime.

Having a record of 21-25 go to 21-31 after those 6 games in 9 days.
The 5-man lineup got back on track to have a 24-32 record on the night of
the trading deadline.
Dantoni added a 30 minute Larry Hughes into the lineup his 2nd day on the team.
The same Larry Hughes who havnt played ball in the past two months
automatically gets 30 minutes with new players.
While F/C-Wilcox who been getting steady minutes each game on OKC gets
a Dantoni DNP his first 8 games as a Knick.

The Knicks had 24 wins with 26 games left (13 home games) in the season.
How come the Knicks only won 8 games out of the next 26 games???
The Knicks only won 8 games out of the last 26 because they lacked defense, a PG with some skill, and most of all "energy" which Mike D used as an excuse for every loss.

Now we have guys like Randolph and Turiaf who bring a lot of energy and defense....plus Azubuike who guards good on the perimeter, Felton who is a good defender, and better bench players than last year.

So your response was what exactly???

Chandler and Gallo played full starter's minutes because everyone on this team sucked. Who would have taken over all the minutes??? No one.

If Randolph was on this team the past two seasons he would have been a starter. Chandler or Gallo in Golde State might have not been since Gallo can sometimes have some REALLY bad games and throw bricks and Chandler throwing up his bricks last year would have made Don Nelson kill someone.

And your seriously using a losing Knicks team that was embarissing at the second half of the season to say that Chandler and Gallo deserved all those minuets? Yes granted they started winning at one point but you can't just win on offense and that's all they were. Randolph brings more to the table which is why I would rather start him over most of our young players.
If Lee had Randolph we would have won more games, guaranteed.

And what reasons were Randolph subject to deserve garbage time???

If anything it was his inconsisntency but you don't think Gallo was inconsistent? Or Chandler when he started getting big minutes. Both Gallo and CHandler were SO inconsisntent I was going insane but Chandler became more consisntent and Gallo was just labeled as a streak shooter.

Randolph deserves 30 min per game because of his skill on both ends of the floor, his great numbers under a coach that didnt like him and that he can compliment Amare with defense, rebounding, and athleticism.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
1. Anthony Randolph-Can score, defend, and rebound like a #2 option on a team.
2. Wilson Chandler-Can score, pass, defend, and rebound. Very efficient from the field(48%). Solid role player.
3. Raymond Felton-Clutch player. Can score, pass, and defend. Good leader.
4. Bill Walker-Good potential. Athletic, can shoot, and has a good basketball IQ.
5. Danilo Gallinari-Good 3 point specialist. Can really shoot the 3.

Last edited:

clumsy

Rotation player
Wilson will never be an All Star in the Eastern Conference or Western Conference

He's a wacker Caron Butler on D.
He's offensive game is limited.

He'll be lumped in with all those tough minded SF's that play good D and can't score efficiently.

Josh Howard, Caron Butler, Stephen Jackson.

Wilson will never be an All Star in the Eastern Conference or Western Conference

He's a wacker Caron Butler on D.
He's offensive game is limited.

He'll be lumped in with all those tough minded SF's that play good D and can't score efficiently.

Josh Howard, Caron Butler, Stephen Jackson.

Josh Howard was a 20+pg player on a good Dallas team
Caron Butler was a 24 5 5 player(all star) on a good Wizards team
Stephen Jackson led the Bobcats to the playoffs this year
If Wilson can produce like them he will be a good player

iJoe

Rotation player
I'd say;

Anthony Randolph has the most potential to be bad or good. He'll can go from being a skinnier Stromile Swift, or a more offensive minded Kevin Garnett.

Gallinari has a lower ceiling, but more of a chance to get there. I can see him being Turkoglu on the Magic causing matchup problems and handling multiple duties. He can also be a dud like Turk on the Rapters being asked to do nothing but shoot 3s.

I think people underestimate Felton the most. He has no where to go but up. Just going from a Larry Brown offense to Dantoni's should make a huge jump in productivity. This guy can defend and was always pass first. His jumper is improving every year and this can be one of the most important factors as defenders won't be able to sag off him anymore.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
where do we stand now..?

thought i'd bring this summer thread back for a spin as some of the posts in here have proved so egregiously misinformed that it's almost laughable.

so many cats on these boards thought randolph would be garnett or somebody like that and he is just awful.

the haterz in chandler camp, they were wrong too.

the cream is rising to the top guys..

Gallo is stepping his game up and becoming the player i and others (namely metrocard, lj4ptplay, isayyuh, kukoc and some others i'm forgetting) thought he could be. he is:

1. being more assertive driving to the hoop and drawing fouls.

2. mixing up his game between driving and shooting the 3. he's also sprinkling in a few odd mid-range jumpers here and there.

3. coming through late in games when it matters..

4. utilizing the pumpfake more and getting guys up in the air. he's drawn alot of fouls this way, including one last nite that brought us three freethrows.

5. keeping up his focus consistently throughout games now. he hasn't been fading and not getting touches for stretches.

gallo will continue to play this way, even against good teams. he may take a few dips in the future but i think he's raising his level. he is taking the next step.

Last edited:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Here something interesting I saw on a G State forum from a disgruntled Warriors fan on Randolph:

Randolph looks like he?s about to cry every time he?s on the court. Sure, he makes a few exciting plays, but he also makes a lot of exciting fouls, leaping randomly into a crowd when he has no chance at the ball. I like his energy, and I?m not saying he can?t be a good player if he learns to harness it. But right now, he?s immature, injury prone, and not productive. Also, people talk about how amazing his upside is and then compare him to Lamar Odom. Lamar Odom is a bench players who married the ugly Kardashian sister. If we miss out on that kind of upside, what ever will we do?

A pure question mark is not a big value. Elite talent shows it within 2 years of entering the league. Randolph is not an elite talent. Per minute stats are useless. Ike Diogu had great per minute stats (ask John Hollinger about it). Greg Oden has some pretty good per minute stats too, but he can?t stay on the floor because of injuries and fouls. He?s not an impact player, and he?s better than Randolph.

Looks like this Warrior fan knew what he was talking about. I'm not giving up on Randolph, but im throughouly disapointed.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Does anybody have some background information on Randolph? He just seems like hes an athlete, I can't imagine him playing ball throughout his early years. His awareness is one of the worst I have seen in the league for a long time. You can't help but think the chip on his shoulder is affecting his game. He desperately wants to prove Nelly and Mike wrong and its showing in the way he plays.

Gallo had a similar stretch were he completely shut down when he was mentioned in trade rumors. Now that Melo is out of the picture, Gallo all of a sudden got his confidence back and has shown real improvement in his game (shot selection and attacking the paint.) Anybody will tell you that year number 2 is the year to lookout for. Gallo, Chandler, Douglas all showed promise and did pay some dividends in their second years. As it is Randolph can't break the rotation under two coaches. I just don't feel he is ever going to get it.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
You never know. He needs to wise up. The Knicks need to find someone who can work with him on shot selection and just playing smarter as a whole.

I have no doubt he'd be amazing in a one-on-one streetball contest, but this is a team game.