Why Anderson Varej?o could be the key

Ewing33Swisher

Benchwarmer
Alot of fans may think Melo is the answer... but what is the problem? I would say interior D and rebounding... this man is Ronny Turiaf on steroids. He averages 9 boards and almost 2 blocks and hustles. Would be a great addition and we could probably get him cheap...

knicksin60

Starter
I'd give them Eddy Curry for Varejao.The Cavs need youth and a guy that could give them the interior presence that they've been missing since Shaq's departure.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
We still would be far from a championship contender...probably wouldn't be as good as the Hawks two seasons ago, and definitely wouldn't be anywhere near the Magic team that went to the Finals. I'll leave Boston and all of the Western Conference teams outta this.

Melo to take some of the double teams off of STAT is one step closer to a championship team...a la Pau joining Kobe, and KG joining Pierce. You can also throw in a duo of Parker and Ginobli (arguably the most important piece of their '07 championship, even tho Parker got the Finals' MVP.)

The blueprint has been set this past decade, let's not reinvent the wheel here. Inside presence that needs a double team plus a dominant wingman that commands the attention of multiple defenders. It's seriously that simple.

Yea you need the other pieces (this is where our need for a back up PG and true center come in) but without getting that dominant consistent wingman, we're no better than the other dozens of solid, balanced, currently have a superstar, teams that couldn't break thru for a chip in the past 10 years.

KingCharles34

All Star
I wouldnt say hes the key but he would definitely make us a better team. He can do a solid job guarding players like Garnett, i think he would help us alot against miami too. He cant guard Dwight Howard but we have someone that usually outduels Howard in head to head matchups and thats Amare

Varejao is like a poor mans noah but still a solid player. I felt like part of the reason why the cavs lost easily to the celtics last year was because they got Jamison and started him at power forward. Varajao gives the celtics alotta problems, they shoulda played him 35 to 40 minutes a game.

Yea def should p[ick up Vareajo Major hustle guy. Don't need to run plays for him and he will go out and play his heart out he would be a less offensive minded David Lee with better DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After watching the first quarter of the Miami Game and watching Big Z man handle us for 8rbs its more obvious we need a C.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Alot of fans may think Melo is the answer... but what is the problem? I would say interior D and rebounding... this man is Ronny Turiaf on steroids. He averages 9 boards and almost 2 blocks and hustles. Would be a great addition and we could probably get him cheap...

Thats crazy how I was going to make a thread yesterday saying the same thing!

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

I have stated in many posts that he would be a great addition... the key is a little strong but he would be an upgrade at the 4/5! a STAT/Varejo 5/4 would be one of the better tandems in the NBA. Varejo would be a good piece among multiple pieces that would help to propel the Knicks into the next level.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
See...this is where I disagree. I would love to have Andy on the team, but we still need one more major piece and he's not it, neither is a backup PG. We can't go out and get the players that round out a championship team (PJ Brown and James Posey type guys) before we get the core in place and our core is 2/3 the way there.

We need that dynamic that makes the opposing defense feel like they're about to shit in their pants when they look at us on paper. And then proceed to do so when we take the court. It's like in football, take the Vikings last year, there was no real way to stop the tandem of Rice, Harvin, and Shiancoe in the secondary while also having to account for AD. If Rice is stretching the field and getting the double, Harvin is working underneath, and Shiancoe is taking away a linebacker...that leaves what...a safety and a linebacker to stop Peterson in the second level depending on what the play call was? This year, you take Rice out of that equation early on and what happens? The dynamic is murdered and the Viks are looking for some help.

Now back to basketball....once again...Amar'e Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony on the court at the same time...for the same team...only 5 defenders on the opposing team...who gets doubled? It's one or the other, or neither. And you either have STAT looking at man-to-man or Melo looking at man-to-man, or the most vicious one....both looking at man-to-man coverage. THEN you try to add your backup PG and true center to start building that championship squad.

The Lakers needed Pau alongside Kobe, not just Ariza, and then Shannon and Artest. They were added to what was already in place. The Celtics needed the combo of KG and Pierce, along with Allen, and then Perkins, PJ Brown, Posey, and at the time a young Rondo, in that order, to win their title.

I don't see why it's any diff for the Knicks. That next step (which should be top seed and title contender because we're definitely a lower seed playoff team right now) gets started with the dynamic wingman added to STAT. Not one that's good, or can be good, but one that legitimately gets double teamed right now. Then add Andy and get our backup PG and we're saying something. I want to be better than the Hawks who can get to the playoffs and then get handled. I want to be better than the Jazz and Mavs in the past 4-5 seasons who were always well balanced and had a decent seed, but couldn't break thru because it was either the Spurs (Duncan, Parker, Ginobli) or the Lakers (Kobe, Pau, and even Odom) getting to the Finals.

The blueprint is set...let's follow it.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
See...this is where I disagree. I would love to have Andy on the team, but we still need one more major piece and he's not it, neither is a backup PG. We can't go out and get the players that round out a championship team (PJ Brown and James Posey type guys) before we get the core in place and our core is 2/3 the way there.

We need that dynamic that makes the opposing defense feel like they're about to shit in their pants when they look at us on paper. And then proceed to do so when we take the court. It's like in football, take the Vikings last year, there was no real way to stop the tandem of Rice, Harvin, and Shiancoe in the secondary while also having to account for AD. If Rice is stretching the field and getting the double, Harvin is working underneath, and Shiancoe is taking away a linebacker...that leaves what...a safety and a linebacker to stop Peterson in the second level depending on what the play call was? This year, you take Rice out of that equation early on and what happens? The dynamic is murdered and the Viks are looking for some help.

Now back to basketball....once again...Amar'e Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony on the court at the same time...for the same team...only 5 defenders on the opposing team...who gets doubled? It's one or the other, or neither. And you either have STAT looking at man-to-man or Melo looking at man-to-man, or the most vicious one....both looking at man-to-man coverage. THEN you try to add your backup PG and true center to start building that championship squad.

The Lakers needed Pau alongside Kobe, not just Ariza, and then Shannon and Artest. They were added to what was already in place. The Celtics needed the combo of KG and Pierce, along with Allen, and then Perkins, PJ Brown, Posey, and at the time a young Rondo, in that order, to win their title.

I don't see why it's any diff for the Knicks. That next step (which should be top seed and title contender because we're definitely a lower seed playoff team right now) gets started with the dynamic wingman added to STAT. Not one that's good, or can be good, but one that legitimately gets double teamed right now. Then add Andy and get our backup PG and we're saying something. I want to be better than the Hawks who can get to the playoffs and then get handled. I want to be better than the Jazz and Mavs in the past 4-5 seasons who were always well balanced and had a decent seed, but couldn't break thru because it was either the Spurs (Duncan, Parker, Ginobli) or the Lakers (Kobe, Pau, and even Odom) getting to the Finals.

Rep point...you are a smart man. I have been saying this for a while. Once you put a core of Felton, Amare and Melo together the veterans and role players will be kicking down our door at a chance for a title.

Edit**Must have given you a point already cause it says I need to spread before giving another.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

I guess what you are missing is that you champion for another dominate scorer in Melo when the Knicks are getting annihilated on the boards and their D is porous. We are successful against teams like Oklahoma because they are a 1 dimensional team as well; that high powered running offense as well as a small team... So STAT becomes that deciding factor. But when we go against the Heat that is a tremendous defensive team we have trouble. Sure we have runs, especially when they rest 1 or 2 of their stars but when Zydrunas Ilgauskas out rebounds you, there is an issue; I mean he hasn't jumped in the air in 10 years!
If we could work out a deal with Denver and we sent them what it would actually take to get Melo - Chandler, Gallo AND Fields (not what everyone thinks we will allow them to have because we have them over a proverbial barrel) we would be a team that couldn't defend a high school squad!
What the Knicks need is another big that is over 6' 8" and another defender on the wing... We also can use another consistent scorer off the bench.
Just remember, Great Defense will always lead to great offense! That has been a recipe that has been successful forever.

The Lakers are all tall, long wing spans and athletic! Plus they play this thing called.... "Defense"!!!!
Gasol was the key that they needed but they have tremendous role players as well (and not just aging veterans) in Odem, Artest, Fisher.... If Bynum gets healthy, probably the most dominate front court with 2 - 7 footers!!!

Wake up people, another selfish non-defensive scorer is not the answer!!!

Toons

is the Bo$$

Cosign to the fullest.

Everyone else is talking about adding pieces to the team to make us ''playoff contenders'' you idiots, were already are accomplishing that goal. We are gaining respect around the league. Our next step is to make a move to send up to the top. We need a gasol to LA, we need a garnett to boston, We need a lebron to MIA, we need MELO TO NYC. How will we compete when howard goes to Chicago? TEAMS ARE GETTING BETTER. Dont miss the bus NYC.

metrocard

Legend

People said this about Eddy and Zach.

Andy would be a plus to this team. We kinda low at the C.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I don't dispute that we need a true center. My whole argument is that we're trying to fill in a few pieces to one half of the puzzle meanwhile a whole chunk of it is still missing.

We're getting killed on the boards right now and our D is pourous...alright...so if we go get Andy and it costs us some assets what we need to get Melo, where does that leave us?

We'd sure up the boards.

We'd sure up the inside D.

And STAT would still need some help, and we're a 4th-7th seed for the next half decade...nice. Like I said in a previous thread...I'm not drunk on seeing the team win a few games now, I want us to continue to build a championship contender. I'll be all for getting Andy now if you can look into your crystal ball and tell me that there's gonna be another 6'8'' athletic forward, with excellent body control, a mid range game, ability to get to and finish at the rim, some serious game with his back to the basket either down low or a few feet outside, excellent rebounder, clutch shot taker & maker, that's for some reason going to bat for the Knicks and is all but saying "please come get me, plleeeeeeeease."

Because that dude is available right now to add to Ray Felt and STAT. There's no conceivable reason why you don't focus on putting that trio together before you worry about who's gonna play 25-28 mins down low to get rebounds and intimidate penetrators.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Yea, either McGee or Varejao .. along with Melo.

Exactly. People don't seem to understand that we need both, not one or the other. But the goal should be Melo, then depth.

You don't win with stars alone and you don't win with depth alone, you need both. Melo might be the most versatile offensive player in the league, there should be no objections to getting him whatsoever.

I want to see some championships here. Not a solid playoff team that can't break thru.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Exactly. People don't seem to understand that we need both, not one or the other. But the goal should be Melo, then depth.

You don't win with stars alone and you don't win with depth alone, you need both. Melo might be the most versatile offensive player in the league, there should be no objections to getting him whatsoever.

How's San Antonio doing it? What multiple stars do they have? They have a Dominate big man and an excellent supporting cast. Also, they play this thing called............................... DEFENSE!!!!

moneyg

Starter
How's San Antonio doing it? What multiple stars do they have? They have a Dominate big man and an excellent supporting cast. Also, they play this thing called............................... DEFENSE!!!!

tim duncan is not even dominate anymore..servicable

its ginobli and parker.. and chemistry.. they have been playin together for years..

but most of all..

They got a coach that preaches defense and doesnt take $hit..

they can just continue to add pieces

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
tim duncan is not even dominate anymore..servicable

its ginobli and parker.. and chemistry.. they have been playin together for years..

but most of all..

They got a coach that preaches defense and doesnt take $hit..

they can just continue to add pieces

I still put Duncan in the upper tier of big men but neither Ginobli or Parker are super stars but they are doing it using team defense and they are a smart team. Adding parts only works if they fit into the system and buy into their roles (execute them as well). That is why I am saying that just adding stars is not the answer.
Dallas? Is Tyson Chandler, Caron Butler or Shawn Marion super stars? Dirk is the super star and they have very good supporting players that play D.
Miami out rebounded us... Wade out rebounded STAT!