Why Anderson Varej?o could be the key

nuckles2k2

Superstar
How's San Antonio doing it? What multiple stars do they have? They have a Dominate big man and an excellent supporting cast. Also, they play this thing called............................... DEFENSE!!!!

Manu Ginobli might have been the most important piece on that team when they won it all in '07. Parker put up the numbers, but why was he able to do so? Because the defense had to pay attention to Duncan in the post and then Manu outside?

Right now they have Duncan, McDyess, and Blair down low and a combo of Parker, Ginobli, Jefferson, Hill, and occasionally Neal out on the perimeter? Everyone playing one on one because there are no double teams anywhere? Do you see what kind of season Parker is having this season with that cast of players out there? Is is a coincidence that suddenly the Spurs are playing this well with Jefferson needing a man to stay on him because he's finishing his chances? (which he didn't do effectively last year)

You're talking about the Spurs defense and then trying to make some point about the Knicks getting Andy? We still wouldn't be on their level of D with Andy. They play excellent team D, excellent ball pressure, playing passing lanes effectively, you see the helper getting help, it's vicious...that doesn't come from one player.

It still doesn't change the fact that the combo of Felton, Melo, Amar'e would be just as deadly, if not more so, than Parker, Ginobli, and Duncan (when he's asked to be that guy, which he isn't right now.)

That's not really the best example to use.

moneyg

Starter
I still put Duncan in the upper tier of big men but neither Ginobli or Parker are super stars but they are doing it using team defense and they are a smart team. Adding parts only works if they fit into the system and buy into their roles (execute them as well). That is why I am saying that just adding stars is not the answer.
Dallas? Is Tyson Chandler, Caron Butler or Shawn Marion super stars? Dirk is the super star and they have very good supporting players that play D.
Miami out rebounded us... Wade out rebounded STAT!

seasoned vets.. we dont have any other amare.. we r a young team..

the Spurs and Dallas has had their core in place forever.

at least j terry is a vet ... and i think he migh of been a allstar before,, j kidd.. old yes.. but a savy vet.. marion.. vet... butler vet.. i think he might of been an allstar one year too.. then they add chandler who is trying to play himself into his next big contract.

SMH at Eddie Curry...baby bulls

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I still put Duncan in the upper tier of big men but neither Ginobli or Parker are super stars but they are doing it using team defense and they are a smart team. Adding parts only works if they fit into the system and buy into their roles (execute them as well). That is why I am saying that just adding stars is not the answer.
Dallas? Is Tyson Chandler, Caron Butler or Shawn Marion super stars? Dirk is the super star and they have very good supporting players that play D.
Miami out rebounded us... Wade out rebounded STAT!

Dude...it's not about putting stars out there, it's effectively building a championship team. I agree that we need to improve the defense, but that doesn't mean you allow your best player to be double teamed down low nonstop with no help.

It's not about Melo's name, it's not about his status, it's about the fact that NBA head coaches believe that he needs to be double teamed...so they run doubles at him. That's 2 players of 5. You've watched the Knicks this season...they double STAT whenever they feel comfortable helping off of a wing player....that's 2 players of 5. Put them on the same team and you're gonna have 4 players guarding 2 people? No.

You put together that dynamic and then you build. If you need defensive minded players, you get them....if you need sharp shooters, you get them....if you need big bodies, you get them....if you need some back court help, you get those players.

But you put your dynamic players in place first. Every. single. time.

That's sports.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Manu Ginobli might have been the most important piece on that team when they won it all in '07. Parker put up the numbers, but why was he able to do so? Because the defense had to pay attention to Duncan in the post and then Manu outside?

Right now they have Duncan, McDyess, and Blair down low and a combo of Parker, Ginobli, Jefferson, Hill, and occasionally Neal out on the perimeter? Everyone playing one on one because there are no double teams anywhere? Do you see what kind of season Parker is having this season with that cast of players out there? Is is a coincidence that suddenly the Spurs are playing this well with Jefferson needing a man to stay on him because he's finishing his chances? (which he didn't do effectively last year)

You're talking about the Spurs defense and then trying to make some point about the Knicks getting Andy? We still wouldn't be on their level of D with Andy. They play excellent team D, excellent ball pressure, playing passing lanes effectively, you see the helper getting help, it's vicious...that doesn't come from one player.

It still doesn't change the fact that the combo of Felton, Melo, Amar'e would be just as deadly, if not more so, than Parker, Ginobli, and Duncan (when he's asked to be that guy, which he isn't right now.)

That's not really the best example to use.

I'm talking about building a team with out decimating what we have in the process. Varejo would just be 1 piece in a few pieces that they need. Also, I am not comparing NY to San Antonio by saying getting Varejo would put us in that category. I am saying that getting Varejo and having him flank STAT will give us size up front with out losing the athleticism that we have with Chandler. Also, Varejo compliments STAT since he is more a blue collar type guy, like Turiaf but more fluid (and less injuries). But I don not want the Knicks to stop there!! I also think they can get sessions as well to come off the bench and also go after Iggy... This is my wish list for NY and I feel making these moves will allow us to keep most of our roster in tact. I think we will be able to keep Chandler and bring him off the bench to play the 4/3/2 spots!
Everyone has tunnel vision and is stuck on Melo.... Melo is our savior because it give us another super star! We will decimate out roster to get him, so this year is out and we will have to wait to the off season, yet again, to see who we can get with the limited money we would have to spend.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
seasoned vets.. we dont have any other amare.. we r a young team..

the Spurs and Dallas has had their core in place forever.

at least j terry is a vet ... and i think he migh of been a allstar before,, j kidd.. old yes.. but a savy vet.. marion.. vet... butler vet.. i think he might of been an allstar one year too.. then they add chandler who is trying to play himself into his next big contract.

SMH at Eddie Curry...baby bulls

Raymond Felton isn't a seasoned vet? 5 years in the league? Yes, they have seasoned vets but they, like San Antonio play great team defense. Miami out ran Dallas but Dallas's defense shut down the lanes and forced Miami to become an outside shooting team as well as they REBOUNDED!!!

legend33

Rookie
Alot of fans may think Melo is the answer... but what is the problem? I would say interior D and rebounding... this man is Ronny Turiaf on steroids. He averages 9 boards and almost 2 blocks and hustles. Would be a great addition and we could probably get him cheap...

lmfao um wtf kid? i seriously just posted in my own thread a few days ago, yea caz im sure you didnt wanna steal other more respectable opinions around here....

lmfaoz...

and hes not blocking 2 a game numbnuts. closer to 1.

All this said, yes, Veraejao would give us a dependable All NBA defender, and given our ranks in offense and defense, D cums first lols....

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I'm talking about building a team with out decimating what we have in the process. Varejo would just be 1 piece in a few pieces that they need. Also, I am not comparing NY to San Antonio by saying getting Varejo would put us in that category. I am saying that getting Varejo and having him flank STAT will give us size up front with out losing the athleticism that we have with Chandler. Also, Varejo compliments STAT since he is more a blue collar type guy, like Turiaf but more fluid (and less injuries). But I don not want the Knicks to stop there!! I also think they can get sessions as well to come off the bench and also go after Iggy... This is my wish list for NY and I feel making these moves will allow us to keep most of our roster in tact. I think we will be able to keep Chandler and bring him off the bench to play the 4/3/2 spots!
Everyone has tunnel vision and is stuck on Melo.... Melo is our savior because it give us another super star! We will decimate out roster to get him, so this year is out and we will have to wait to the off season, yet again, to see who we can get with the limited money we would have to spend.

The only problem is that Iggy's game isn't versatile enough to effect STAT getting double teamed down low...so you'd be replacing...who? Gallo with Iggy? Who's double teaming Iggy? How does that systematically remove a defender from the paint to improve the floor spacing?

The reason why people are so stuck on Melo is because he's a PF in a SF's body, with the skills of the 2, 3, and 4 spots. Versatility beats the living shit out of naming names any day.

We need to improve floor spacing on the occasions that we need to run a half court offense, and we also need a center and a back up PG. Melo dramatically improves floor spacing...not because he's Carmelo Anthony, not because he's an star, not because he's viewed as a savior, but because his size and skill combo is an asset to any team since he can play in virtually any offense.

You can either go get that guy...or try to emulate what he can do with several other players. I vote to go get him, go get your center, and roll to the top of the seeding in the East so I can go to some conference final and Finals games at the Garden sometime in the near future.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Hometheater you're talking about creating a one dimensional team. STAT, Iggy, and Will all on the same team? What incentive would the D have to not pack the paint? I guess if we played excellent D like Miami then we could be a team that pretty much runs all night, up until we come up against an efficient team like the Mavs and get stopped by made baskets and zone D.

I love defense as much as the next dude, but you need some offense too. And the more versatile your players are on the offensive end, the better. No one wins with D alone. The Lakers, Celtics, Spurs (last 3 teams to win a title) all had good D, and a dynamic on offense that was hard to stop.

Melo is one player, Andy is one center, both can probably be had (Melo and a center)...so why should we substitute Melo for Iggy?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The only problem is that Iggy's game isn't versatile enough to effect STAT getting double teamed down low...so you'd be replacing...who? Gallo with Iggy? Who's double teaming Iggy? How does that systematically remove a defender from the paint to improve the floor spacing?

The reason why people are so stuck on Melo is because he's a PF in a SF's body, with the skills of the 2, 3, and 4 spots. Versatility beats the living shit out of naming names any day.

We need to improve floor spacing on the occasions that we need to run a half court offense, and we also need a center and a back up PG. Melo dramatically improves floor spacing...not because he's Carmelo Anthony, not because he's an star, not because he's viewed as a savior, but because his size and skill combo is an asset to any team since he can play in virtually any offense.

You can either go get that guy...or try to emulate what he can do with several other players. I vote to go get him, go get your center, and roll to the top of the seeding in the East so I can go to some conference final and Finals games at the Garden sometime in the near future.

We play a motion offense and motion will stop with Melo, like it does with STAT.... We will start to revert back to players holding onto the ball until they are ready to put up their own shot. You guys are starting to sound like Isiah!! Add more and more of the same type of player..... Iggy plays the 2/3 spot... The games I watch with Philly, Iggy gets double teamed all the time!!! Iggy is explosive and we are an explosive offense, and he is one of the best defenders in the league... especially defending his own man with out help. Iggy has the ability to take it to the rim, he can split defenders so he would help with spacing. I think we can get Iggy, Varejo and sessions with out losing Chandler and either Gallo or Fields...
STAT
Varejo
Chandler
Iggy
Felton
That is a starting 5 that can compete with anyone! Then off the bench you would have Turiaf, Williams, either Gallo or Fields and Sessions... I think that is an excellent grade A roster that we could do excellent with and still have room for 1 or 2 minor tweaks to solidify the roster in upcoming off seasons.

Defiently need to pick him up because Cleveland will go into rebuilding mode soon and i think he can be had for just Curry's Expering Contract. This is a Great hustle guy runs the PNR smoothly and can defend and irrate the hell out of opposing Centers/Pf. Also he rebounds well and is always wround 9-10 rbs each season. He has great experience has been accustom to winning and I hear he is a great Locker room guy. If we can pull a trade for him I think this takes us well above Chicago and probably in contention with the Magics seeing how they don't have anymore Big man depth.

Also I think is we add Sessions along with Varejao we will get that young Pg that can play backup that we so desperately need. If I remember right Donnie was high on this guy 2 summers ago but he signed with the Wolves.
Kid is a heady player/playmaker aggresive big guard can guard the lower-elchon of 2's to take some load off of Felton.

One last player I think we should look into is J.J Hickson Cleveland is trying to sell house and Draft a new face for their Franchise we can easily rape them in this trade. I think we can get Varejo/Sessions/Hickson for Curry/Azzy/Randolph. This istanly makes us deeper and we still have cap to make more adjustments I don't know if we have enough Melo we might have to trade Gallo/Chandler/Turiaf but i don't know if Denver takes that.

Vareajo
Amare
Gallo
Fields
Felton
Bench: Chandler,Sessions, Hickson, T.D

Add Melo to this and tell me we won't compete for the Chip:gony:

johnstarky

Rotation player
Rep point...you are a smart man. I have been saying this for a while. Once you put a core of Felton, Amare and Melo together the veterans and role players will be kicking down our door at a chance for a title.

Edit**Must have given you a point already cause it says I need to spread before giving another.

I'll give him a rep point on your behalf.

petescud

Starter
All this is great, but is he available. I wouldn't trade him unless I recieved awesome value, if I was Cleveland. The guys a defensive and hustling stud. I'd love to have him here with us

Alot of fans may think Melo is the answer... but what is the problem? I would say interior D and rebounding... this man is Ronny Turiaf on steroids. He averages 9 boards and almost 2 blocks and hustles. Would be a great addition and we could probably get him cheap...

Although he's a good player I dont think he's needed. Why not coach up what we have? Let Moz and Randolph get some minutes now so that his confidence and abilities grow as the season moves along.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Although he's a good player I dont think he's needed. Why not coach up what we have? Let Moz and Randolph get some minutes now so that his confidence and abilities grow as the season moves along.

Exactly, we have two 7 footers on the bench (although one is likely to be traded by season's end) so why go trade for yet another? They say that the one thing that translates the easiest from college to the pros is rebounding, that's why guys like Blair and Paul Milsap have so much value for where they were taken in the draft.

So...we need rebounding help, correct? Play a god damn dude who stands 6'11'' or 7'0''. People base their opinions on D'Antoni's rotation and not on the roster. Maybe...just maybe...the flaw is with Mike D's take on who should play and why, and not who's currently populating our roster.

First trade that's made this season should be to get STAT some help do alleviate some of those double teams.