Wilson Chandler's Trade Value

dave2138

Rotation player
Maybe something can educate me...I don't see how Wilson Chandler has any trade value to Denver despite the huge improvement he has made this season.

It should be obvious that the Knicks will replace Chandler with Carmelo Anthony if given the opportunity to do so this off season. So why would any team give anything of value to the Knicks when they could just wait to get Chandler in the off season for nothing. Yes, he is a restricted FA, but the Knicks won't match an offer anyway if they sign Anthony.

Think about it from Denver's perspective. They are going to lose Carmelo Anthony next season. Here are their choices:

a) Trade to New Jersey, get Favors + picks. Give up on 2010/2011 season.

b) Lose him as a FA to New York, overpay for Wilson Chandler in the off season. - Don't give up on 2010/2011 season since they'll still have Carmelo for this year's playoffs.

c) Trade him to New York for Wilson Chandler....? Why does that make any sense since they could just do option B.

If I'm Denver, I think option B is their best option. Not only do they still have a shot at winning this year, but also might influence Nene and Billups to stay.

And I've heard plenty of people mention Chandler and Anthony together on the Knicks next year. I can't take that seriously since its probably not financially realistic and even if it was, I'd rather use the money from Chandler on a center instead.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
Maybe something can educate me...I don't see how Wilson Chandler has any trade value to Denver despite the huge improvement he has made this season.

It should be obvious that the Knicks will replace Chandler with Carmelo Anthony if given the opportunity to do so this off season. So why would any team give anything of value to the Knicks when they could just wait to get Chandler in the off season for nothing. Yes, he is a restricted FA, but the Knicks won't match an offer anyway if they sign Anthony.

Think about it from Denver's perspective. They are going to lose Carmelo Anthony next season. Here are their choices:

b) Lose him as a FA to New York, overpay for Wilson Chandler in the off season. - Don't give up on 2010/2011 season since they'll still have Carmelo for this year's playoffs.

c) Trade him to New York for Wilson Chandler....? Why does that make any sense since they could just do option B.

If I'm Denver, I think option B is their best option. Not only do they still have a shot at winning this year, but also might influence Nene and Billups to stay.

And I've heard plenty of people mention Chandler and Anthony together on the Knicks next year. I can't take that seriously since its probably not financially realistic and even if it was, I'd rather use the money from Chandler on a center instead.

Dave, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Red

TYPE-A
Because by trading for him DEN could...

1. Receive another player + a number 1 pick + cap relief in Curry

2. Possibly get his bird rights and have first dibs on him, avoiding more teams bidding for him

3. Can gaurentee getting something for Melo

This isn't about giving up on the season, but more about when to give up and get the most for Melo who until the deadline is an asset.

This asset has less value than usual b/c he has only named one team he is willing to extend with, thus any team offering players/picks for a "rental" will not beat what we can potentially offer b/c he fits our long term plans.

Chandlers value is in his youth, skill set in terms of how other teams and coaches want to use him, and he can be re-signed before the new CBA. A team who doesn't mind "renting" or adding an upgrade MIGHT value him more realistically than Melo and could make a sweet offer to us if they're making a run by the deadline... perhaps a 1st rnd pick..

That we will probably use to upgrade. His value is yet to be realised.

Red

TYPE-A
...and DEN has no shot of winning this year, with or without Melo.

We have more of a shot than them. With all the valued "rental" players we have plus tradable ones with small short contracts..

Look for us to add at the deadline and move on to the 2nd rnd this year.

mafra

Legend
From what I read/heard (somewhere) was that DEN felt Chandler was soft, whatever that means.

They prefer to get more, or at least something else, to rebuild around.

PLUS, I'm sure the fact he's a free agent (and thus wint give DEN cheap service years ahead) is also something that makes him less appealing.

I mean, if you were a GM and had to start a rebuilding plan... would you really want to build around Chandler?

I imagine a younger player would give you more bang for your buck.

Not sure why Randolph-Gallo doesn't appeal to them though?

Knickerbocker201

Benchwarmer
From what I read/heard (somewhere) was that DEN felt Chandler was soft, whatever that means.

They prefer to get more, or at least something else, to rebuild around.

PLUS, I'm sure the fact he's a free agent (and thus wint give DEN cheap service years ahead) is also something that makes him less appealing.

I mean, if you were a GM and had to start a rebuilding plan... would you really want to build around Chandler?

I imagine a younger player would give you more bang for your buck.

Not sure why Randolph-Gallo doesn't appeal to them though?

Most likely the Randolph-Gallo isnt appealing is because Our Coach hasnt showcased Randolph.. but to be honest we should just trade for pieces we need.. I honestly believe we dont need MELO.. I know i will probably get butchered.. but hey we all have our opinions

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

First of all, why do you keep making Chandler the focus for Denver? From what I understand they are more interested in Fields than anything else and Walsh is trying to hold onto him pushing more the Gallinari/Chandler tandem instead.
Second, it's in Denver's interest to trade Melo and get some pieces that they can use to rebuild instead of losing him to free agency and getting bupkis (like Cleveland).
There's a new CBA coming and no one knows what the new salary cap is going to be and that gives Denver some leverage. But besides that, Denver most likely will lose Melo and go into a rebuilding mode so it is important that they get as many chips as they can; young cheap talent and picks... They WILL try to bleed any team that will let them!
If you are the Knicks you have to deiced if Melo is worth gutting your team! Right now the Knicks are playing at an extremely high level. Chandler is a perfect example of OVER achieving; a B player playing at an A level. They have a groove right now but they also know that with the current roster, they will NOT win a championship or even a conference title. If making it to the first round is what denotes a wining season and is satisfactory then don't make any changes but if the Knicks want to make it deep into the playoffs and have a more solid roster to expand upon in the off season, then they need to tweak it a little more; the question is if Melo is the answer!?!?
I'm on record saying I'd rather they go after Iggy and Varejo/Mo Williams instead. Dallas beat Miami with 1 super star and a supporting cast of very good players. The Knicks add Varejo next to STAT, that give us size at the 5 and 4 but with out losing athleticism while Iggy can lock down his player with out double teams. Yet, Melo will bring another powerful, explosive scorer that will cause the other team to double team leaving STAT to more one on ones. With STAT and Melo, you have two guys that will cause the other team to double and even triple team leaving the other players open. Miami right now has 2 other guys on the floor that are hitting their shots when Wade and LeBron are double teamed... If we trade Fields, Gallinari and Chandler for Melo; who will be those guys for us? Douglas? Walker?

First of all, why do you keep making Chandler the focus for Denver? From what I understand they are more interested in Fields than anything else and Walsh is trying to hold onto him pushing more the Gallinari/Chandler tandem instead.
Second, it's in Denver's interest to trade Melo and get some pieces that they can use to rebuild instead of losing him to free agency and getting bupkis (like Cleveland).
There's a new CBA coming and no one knows what the new salary cap is going to be and that gives Denver some leverage. But besides that, Denver most likely will lose Melo and go into a rebuilding mode so it is important that they get as many chips as they can; young cheap talent and picks... They WILL try to bleed any team that will let them!
If you are the Knicks you have to deiced if Melo is worth gutting your team! Right now the Knicks are playing at an extremely high level. Chandler is a perfect example of OVER achieving; a B player playing at an A level. They have a groove right now but they also know that with the current roster, they will NOT win a championship or even a conference title. If making it to the first round is what denotes a wining season and is satisfactory then don't make any changes but if the Knicks want to make it deep into the playoffs and have a more solid roster to expand upon in the off season, then they need to tweak it a little more; the question is if Melo is the answer!?!?
I'm on record saying I'd rather they go after Iggy and Varejo/Mo Williams instead. Dallas beat Miami with 1 super star and a supporting cast of very good players. The Knicks add Varejo next to STAT, that give us size at the 5 and 4 but with out losing athleticism while Iggy can lock down his player with out double teams. Yet, Melo will bring another powerful, explosive scorer that will cause the other team to double team leaving STAT to more one on ones. With STAT and Melo, you have two guys that will cause the other team to double and even triple team leaving the other players open. Miami right now has 2 other guys on the floor that are hitting their shots when Wade and LeBron are double teamed... If we trade Fields, Gallinari and Chandler for Melo; who will be those guys for us? Douglas? Walker?

+1 You make some interesting points while I don't agree with you on Mo Williams because he is a player that stinks as a pg and that is what we would need him for. I say we Get Ramon Sessions the guy we were looking into before. While he isn't a starter he is a great backup for 18-22min a big guard pass first and great Midrange. He is a heady player who knows his limits and draws quite a lot of fouls for a backup. Been watching him some and i think he would do great in our system. I don't Know if the Carmelo and Stat tandem works well I here others arguing because their games are similar but my belief is this Talent>Need You always take talent over needs because when great talent meshes together its unstoppable i.e Miami Heat's potential.

I say we trade Chandler Randolph 2Nd rounders and Douglas for Carmelo. Or we do the trade to Cleveland and Philadelphia for Varejao/Sessions and Iggy

Toons

is the Bo$$

philly and cleveland are garbage. Why do you want a apparent good player on a shitty team? denver is doing well with melo alone. I dont want no one from a losing environment. You guys who say no to melo, and then come up with some bullshit like sideshow bob and the guy who was gonna retire because lebron hurt his feelings.... or andre iguodala (we already have an iggy type player in chandler). Who can say for sure that iggy is better than azzy when healthy?
if youre gonna saynno o mel you better call names of like talent

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Iggy would fit our system far worse than Melo or Chandler or...anybody.

Iggy is a shooting guard who can't shoot. Why in the world someone wants him...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
philly and cleveland are garbage. Why do you want a apparent good player on a shitty team? denver is doing well with melo alone. I dont want no one from a losing environment. You guys who say no to melo, and then come up with some bullshit like sideshow bob and the guy who was gonna retire because lebron hurt his feelings.... or andre iguodala (we already have an iggy type player in chandler). Who can say for sure that iggy is better than azzy when healthy?
if youre gonna saynno o mel you better call names of like talent

You are really going to compare Chandler's defense to Iggy?? While Chandler blocks shots, his man always beats him off the dribble!! Also, who has he shut down??? Listen, I hate to be put into the position to be negative to Chandler since I love having him on the team but what's helped lift Chandler's game is that he was moved to the 4 spot and he his quicker than the guys that defend him but the reality is if you moved him back to the 2 where they thought they were going to play him from the start or even back to the 3; we would not be having this conversation about him right now! While playing the 4 spot has improved his offensive stats, he can not defend his man because they are almost all bigger and stronger than him! I hate to see how he gets destroyed when we go up against Dallas or San Antonio; he will be murdered! Did he stop Bosh or slow him down??
Iggy and Fields splitting the 2 would be awesome! With a rotation of Gallo/Fields/Iggy at the 2/3 spots.... Really, you wouldn't want that?!?!?
So, you do not want Varejo or Mo Williams because they come from a losing team? 2 non super stars can carry a team to the playoffs? Varejo is a good player who is a compliment type guy. He is a 4/5 player with athleticism and defensive skills.. You wouldn't want a starting 5/4 of STAT and Varejo? Really? You would want a rotation of Felton/Mo Williams at the 1 spot? You and I see 2 different scenarios when watching them play!!

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Honestly, i don't know why Denver is giving so little value to the Knicks offer. Favors and Murphy seem poor to me compared to a Chandler + AR + Curry combo. At the end of the day it's all about draft picks with Denver. It's like saying the Nuggets are going to give up without Melo. Surprising for a team who has still young talent in Ty Lawson or Arron Afflalo and good players such as Al Harrington and Billups. They're sending a message to Nen? and JR Smith to run away from the rebuild smell. The same with Kenyon Martin. So you're giving up on a roster like that...

Billups/Lawson
Afflalo/JR Smith
Wilson Chandler/Al Harrington
Kenyon Martin/Anthony Randolph
Nen?/Shelden Williams/Chris Andersen

...to a future like this in 2011...

Billups/Lawson
Afflalo
Al Harrington
Chris Andersen
Derrick Favors

...plus one lottery pick in a draft that's predicted to be one of the poorest of the last years and another lottery protected pick from Golden State in 2012. When the Warriors are suposed to be in a playoffs spot with Steph Curry, Monta Ellis and David Lee. Oh, and without the chance of investing your cap space to sign a really good free agent to improve your team. At best, you can use that money to overpay Afflalo.

I just don't get it.

Excuse me if my english is not that good but i'm spanish and i'm bleeding each sentence.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I understand you just fine!

I agree with you. Again, Denver's roster isn't really that bad all they really need is some quality pieces and they'd be excellent. If they accepted a trade of Gallo + Randolph (or first round pick) + Curry's Expiring + Bill Walker's nonguaranteed for next year contract + Kelenna Azubuike, that'd give them:

1. Cap space
2. Good young player in Gallo
3. Bird rights to some good players (Azubuike).

If they do this they can go and sign a player like Zach Randolph in the offseason to be their new #1 scoring option now that Carmelo's gone and have a team with Gallo and Z-Bo and whatnot

I'd say that's not a bad team myself

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Honestly, i don't know why Denver is giving so little value to the Knicks offer. Favors and Murphy seem poor to me compared to a Chandler + AR + Curry combo. At the end of the day it's all about draft picks with Denver. It's like saying the Nuggets are going to give up without Melo. Surprising for a team who has still young talent in Ty Lawson or Arron Afflalo and good players such as Al Harrington and Billups. They're sending a message to Nen? and JR Smith to run away from the rebuild smell. The same with Kenyon Martin. So you're giving up on a roster like that...

Billups/Lawson
Afflalo/JR Smith
Wilson Chandler/Al Harrington
Kenyon Martin/Anthony Randolph
Nen?/Shelden Williams/Chris Andersen

...to a future like this in 2011...

Billups/Lawson
Afflalo
Al Harrington
Chris Andersen
Derrick Favors

...plus one lottery pick in a draft that's predicted to be one of the poorest of the last years and another lottery protected pick from Golden State in 2012. When the Warriors are suposed to be in a playoffs spot with Steph Curry, Monta Ellis and David Lee. Oh, and without the chance of investing your cap space to sign a really good free agent to improve your team. At best, you can use that money to overpay Afflalo.

I just don't get it.

Excuse me if my english is not that good but i'm spanish and i'm bleeding each sentence.

Never mind who is going to declare draft eligibility with a looming lock out? So, unless you are a senior, why would you come out this year?? If you are Denver, what will be the draft class you will get to pick from?
I actually think they like some of the Knicks players but they are trying to bluff the Knicks into giving them everything!

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Never mind who is going to declare draft eligibility with a looming lock out? So, unless you are a senior, why would you come out this year?? If you are Denver, what will be the draft class you will get to pick from?
I actually think they like some of the Knicks players but they are trying to bluff the Knicks into giving them everything!

And i'm worried about the Knicks acting desperately in that direction. This franchise were planning a key move in 2010. After LeCrap decided to take his talents to South Beach bla bla bla there is a hole left to fill and Melo is the only one who could fix it. We can talk about the team needs but this city and this franchise are craving for another banner player.

iSaYughh

Starter
Ya, I mean Wilson's value to Den is that realistically if they don't get him by trade, they won't be getting him in the off season -- someone else signs him, and itd be us. Bird rights, among other things.

Wilson, Douglas and a couple 1sts and I don't think Denver risks even a 5% chance that Melo just waits to come here. That package is too good for them to risk the comparative fallout.

Wilson does have best trade value. Despite that, gallo would compliment Melo nicely.

Melo walking to us would be the equiv of Melo morphing into King Kong and taking a shit on the entire franchise on national tv. The stink and fallout would be crippling.

Lawson
Douglas
Chandler

With a ton of cap and picks, plus they can comfortably move forward in trading Billups for more and move forward w true rebuild:

Iggy, mayo, kirilienko, Gasol and other bigs. Talk about a swift and painless rebuild.

Lawson
Mayo
Chandler
G.Davis
Gasol
6th Kirilienko/Douglas

Chandler is really the key. I hope walsh doesn't devalue his, and gallo/Fields worth.