Wilson Chandler's Trade Value

Chandler has improved each year. I'll rather wait to the end of the year to see how much he is going to improve...as of right now he still looks like he's getting better.

He is a great fit for the team, home grown, and a rare very versatile, young, up and coming talent. He is too much of an asset to the team. Easily, there are other players (in the same position) that are way more expendable. Real knick fans want a team that can bring in titles...We need to keep Wilson because he's a productive player (in many ways). The Knicks brass will probably don the asshats of the year awards If they let Wilson go before Gallo. Especially if they don't add to the team what they lost in him.

The Knicks are acting like they want to win, so the players on the team must be tough and consistant contributors. So, trading WC is not a good move.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Chandler has improved each year. I'll rather wait to the end of the year to see how much he is going to improve...as of right now he still looks like he's getting better.

He is a great fit for the team, home grown, and a rare very versatile, young, up and coming talent. He is too much of an asset to the team. Easily, there are other players (in the same position) that are way more expendable. Real knick fans want a team that can bring in titles...We need to keep Wilson because he's a productive player (in many ways). The Knicks brass will probably don the asshats of the year awards If they let Wilson go before Gallo. Especially if they don't add to the team what they lost in him.

The Knicks are acting like they want to win, so the players on the team must be tough and consistant contributors. So, trading WC is not a good move.
To add to that, I'm more and more comfortable seeing him play. He's become consistent, which is what we all wanted. He's played like this other seasons, just not every game. I want him to stay a Knick forever.

moneyg

Starter
i think wilsons major change this year is leadership.. which he did not have on the past.. it seems Stat And Felton have given him confidence that he needed..

Chandler is not a leader.. but will run thru the wall for true leaders...

that being said .. if melo is not traded and we plan to sign him in the offseason then we will lose chandler anyway.. we wont have enough cap room.

if thats Donnie's plan.. then he has to be traded...i dont see how we can get melo with out giving up gallo or chandler or both... but if we trade for melo without giving up chandler.. then we can extend him in the summer...

they only way you keep chandler is if you know you cant get melo

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
i think wilsons major change this year is leadership.. which he did not have on the past.. it seems Stat And Felton have given him confidence that he needed..

Chandler is not a leader.. but will run thru the wall for true leaders...

that being said .. if melo is not traded and we plan to sign him in the offseason then we will lose chandler anyway.. we wont have enough cap room.

if thats Donnie's plan.. then he has to be traded...i dont see how we can get melo with out giving up gallo or chandler or both... but if we trade for melo without giving up chandler.. then we can extend him in the summer...

they only way you keep chandler is if you know you cant get melo

What helped Chandler was moving to the 4...

Red

TYPE-A
What helped Chandler was moving to the 4...

As we've witnessed, Wilson can play the four, but can't guard quality fours...period. don't think this will work during playoff time, it won't.

Wilson's value come deadline time will be immense. Imagine what a team one player away would feel about adding this versitile cheap player... patience.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Chandler can play the 4 but he's undersized at it. He can guard smaller 4's but against 6'10 guys he's not going to be able to do much.

He can guard smaller 4's and slow 2's...

If they can't find a way to keep a player like WC and get mello...they should become one of the teams to be talked about in the league reduction BS...

Sometimes I think they run this team like a tourist attraction instead of a true contender.The management of this team can't be that cursed, can they? We have the spare pieces/dead weight/trade bait/expendables...whatever you want to call the players that are not seeing any playing time. wtf are we saving them for...why must I/we always have to pay to see more players on the pine then in the game?

Keep Will the Thrill (Clyde likes him too), get another elite player to take the strain off of Stat and Felt, and build around the core of guys we have contributing every night. This is just basic 101 championship stuff.

KingCharles34

All Star
Chandler is that dude, i would love to see us keep him especially since hes the only player left from our worst era ever so it'd be nice to see him have success in new york after a depressing beginning. Like one of you said hes not a leader but he'll go to war for a leader. If he gets traded and the knicks are improved because of it, then I understand. At the end of the day its a business but i gotta admit i would hate to see him gone :(

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Chandler is that dude, i would love to see us keep him especially since hes the only player left from our worst era ever so it'd be nice to see him have success in new york after a depressing beginning. Like one of you said hes not a leader but he'll go to war for a leader. If he gets traded and the knicks are improved because of it, then I understand. At the end of the day its a business but i gotta admit i would hate to see him gone :(
Agreed. We want our team to be better, but for once I want to see loyalty.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Wilson Chandler along with Fields are the best glue guys we have on the team. They do their job night in and night out which makes it easier for D'Antoni and the team to trust them in big games. If I am the Knicks I hold onto these pieces as long as possible.

I think we can lock him up if we back load his contract start with 5.5 million
His is a great all around player plays all day with a positive demeanor just needs more Iq and to work on that 3 ball

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Let's be honest. We all know that Wilson Chandler is overrated. Trading him now is like selling your stock option right before they drop its value on the market. IMO he has touched his ceiling taking benefit of D'Antoni's system. He won't make an impact in any other team. He has some none coachable flows in his game. He's a tweener, he has low IQ. Best case scenario for him is to develop in a sort of Stephen Jackson. Any team who has Wilson Chandler as a factor is damned to failure. We need to deal with him to get as much as we can. Let's pray for a franchise believing in him as a real prospect.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Let's be honest. We all know that Wilson Chandler is overrated. Trading him now is like selling your stock option right before they drop its value on the market. IMO he has touched his ceiling taking benefit of D'Antoni's system. He won't make an impact in any other team. He has some none coachable flows in his game. He's a tweener, he has low IQ. Best case scenario for him is to develop in a sort of Stephen Jackson. Any team who has Wilson Chandler as a factor is damned to failure. We need to deal with him to get as much as we can. Let's pray for a franchise believing in him as a real prospect.

D'Antoni's system is benefiting Chandler like it did too Marion and we saw what happened to Marion when he left that system. Also, Chandler is a free agent this year and if he continues to play like this for the rest of the season; he will warrant a pretty serious contract this off season. Trading him now will help the Knicks to maximize their return on his current market value. Then again, he might turn out to be the real deal.... That is the risk you take when you play the market. That's why Walsh makes the big money.....
I always viewed Chandler as a 6th man type of player. A 'tweener that can cover 3 positions and has a presence on the court.

If Wilson plays good in the system why get rid of him? I'm sure the money will be a non issue (he already said he dosen't want to leave NY). He plays great here, I strongly feel some people want him to go because he is better than Gallo. When building a championship team you get rid of the weak players...not the best. To do so only shows bad management...and I hope it has nothing to do with favoritism. I want to watch this team win, not watch certain players, especially if these certain players are wack.

WC will be here...I'm sure of it. There is no one in the market that can replace his contributions (atm), but we have others on the team that can easily be replaced with better talent that will help us win the big games. If we are to rebuild... why start with the productive players first? hmmm...

Markutis

Benchwarmer
If Wilson plays good in the system why get rid of him? I'm sure the money will be a non issue (he already said he dosen't want to leave NY). He plays great here, I strongly feel some people want him to go because he is better than Gallo...

They are completely different players. Gallinari has a lot more potential than Wilson Chandler. He can create his own shots, he's a good passer, he can develop a whole bunch of aspects in his game that are coachable or come with experience. Do you have any doubt on which one is going to have a better career in the NBA in or out the Knicks?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
They are completely different players. Gallinari has a lot more potential than Wilson Chandler. He can create his own shots, he's a good passer, he can develop a whole bunch of aspects in his game that are coachable or come with experience. Do you have any doubt on which one is going to have a better career in the NBA in or out the Knicks?
Chandler might have been held back from injury the past couple of seasons. He's consistent now and is shooting better then Gallinari.

At least this potential argument is better than the AR potential argument. Gallo has shown his smarts and has helped win games big time. Some games his offense is nowhere to be found though. Chandler's offense and defense is there almost every game.

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Chandler might have been held back from injury the past couple of seasons. He's consistent now and is shooting better then Gallinari.

At least this potential argument is better than the AR potential argument. Gallo has shown his smarts and has helped win games big time. Some games his offense is nowhere to be found though. Chandler's offense and defense is there almost every game.

None of them are a go to guy. That's for sure. But, come on, Chandler's not a shooter. You know that.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
For someone who isn't a shooter, Chandler is looking awfully good from behind the arc...

Gallinari's skill isn't in his shooting (IMO...good shooters can be found) but rather in his ability to get to the basket so well despite being so tall