Is anyone worried that the Nets might be relevant before the Knicks?

knicksin60

Starter
It just seems like the Nets have been the more successful franchise in the last 10 years and are always headed in the right direction while the Knicks seem to have difficulty moving forward from being one of the worst organizations in all of sports.

I'm not trying to put the Knicks down but the Nets' ownership is a lot better than ours, they draft better players and they have the better coach in Avery Johnson.Until the Knicks prove that they could win and make the playoffs they will continue being disrespected by the media.I wasn't a mistake when the Nets received more recognition than the Knicks did in the whole Lebron saga.I've always said that the quickest way for a team to lose respect is for them to be irrelevant in the standings on a yearly basis.

With the Nets relocating to Brooklyn in a couple years, my main concern is that they will be a playoff team by then while the Knicks will continue being a 10th seeded team in the Eastern Conference.I don't know how the majority of Knick fans overlook the fact that the Nets have a chance at stealing the spot light from the Knicks after they move to Brooklyn.I'd hate to see New Yorkers jump on the Net bandwagon.

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
nets played the pistons and kings in back to back games we would've won those games. not taking anything away from NJ they got a great coach and some solid young pieces( a future elite C ) but we've had the tougher schedule thus far. just saying. however, i do think that were going to both be great for many years to come we'll see some nice NY battles of course we got this though. once we figure it out were going to beats remember we have 10 new guys on the team their still getting used to one another once we do we'll get on a roll 79 more games left lets be patient

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The Nets look good because they had the luxury of playing against a weak ass Eastern Conference in the early 2000's.

What about back in the 90's, when the Knicks were top dog and the only reason we couldn't win was because of this guy named Michael Jordan?

The Nets? Oh right, they were irrelevant back then.

petescud

Starter
Knicks will always be the top NY franchise....Kinda like the Yankees will always be NY's baseball team (i'm more a Met fan though)...Now i'm not saying the Nets will be garbage. They have competitive mgmt that wants to win. Thats half the battle

quiggle

Starter
alg_brooklyn_stoudemire_poster.jpg

Paul1355

All Star
It just seems like the Nets have been the more successful franchise in the last 10 years and are always headed in the right direction while the Knicks seem to have difficulty moving forward from being one of the worst organizations in all of sports.

I'm not trying to put the Knicks down but the Nets' ownership is a lot better than ours, they draft better players and they have the better coach in Avery Johnson.Until the Knicks prove that they could win and make the playoffs they will continue being disrespected by the media.I wasn't a mistake when the Nets received more recognition than the Knicks did in the whole Lebron saga.I've always said that the quickest way for a team to lose respect is for them to be irrelevant in the standings on a yearly basis.

With the Nets relocating to Brooklyn in a couple years, my main concern is that they will be a playoff team by then while the Knicks will continue being a 10th seeded team in the Eastern Conference.I don't know how the majority of Knick fans overlook the fact that the Nets have a chance at stealing the spot light from the Knicks after they move to Brooklyn.I'd hate to see New Yorkers jump on the Net bandwagon.
The Nets beat the Pistons who will be one of the worst teams in the NBA and some other bum team, so no I am not worried one bit....the Nets will prob win 20-28 games but nothing special and def not better than the Knicks

The potential is there. A few sports analyst and panalist think they will too. They have something to prove from last years season. They have a good new coach, plus they are Brooklyn bound with a few owners who can put some city swagger into their game. They will be fighting for fans and BK is a town were stars are born. It's something special about tha Borough. When they finally make that move, thats when the knicks had better be prepared.

quiggle

Starter
I only see those stupid hipsters that come from California, Montana, New Mexico and upstate New York who live in Williamsburgh and DUMBO that sell out for anything go and root for the Nets. don't see established New Yorkers floating their way but damn I can picture the Modells Sunday ads advertsing Brooklyn Nets merchandise to death.

The Nets will become the Clippers of New York. Its going to be fun to go to the games when seats or so cheap because no one cares about them.

But that stadium is going to ruin Downtown Brooklyn.

clumsy

Rotation player
i worked/lived in downtown brooklyn for years before my new job. i don't see how they can build a stadium at atlantic ave......

traffic is already horrendous on flatbush as is. Can't imagine what it's gonna be like whne there is a gigantic stadium there. it also was kinda messed up they (real estate developers for the stadium) were trying to kick people outta there homes by offering them not a lot of money for the apts they lived in their whole lives.

knicksin60

Starter
nets played the pistons and kings in back to back games we would've won those games. not taking anything away from NJ they got a great coach and some solid young pieces( a future elite C ) but we've had the tougher schedule thus far. just saying. however, i do think that were going to both be great for many years to come we'll see some nice NY battles of course we got this though. once we figure it out were going to beats remember we have 10 new guys on the team their still getting used to one another once we do we'll get on a roll 79 more games left lets be patient

Regardless of how they do this season...the Knicks will be put in the same category as the Nets.Unless the Knicks make the playoffs...they will continue being scorned and despised by the media.

knicksin60

Starter
Knicks will always be the top NY franchise....Kinda like the Yankees will always be NY's baseball team (i'm more a Met fan though)...Now i'm not saying the Nets will be garbage. They have competitive mgmt that wants to win. Thats half the battle

My greatest concern with the Nets moving to Brooklyn is that once they start winning their fan base will grow.With the way the Knicks are run...you know their ownership could be the main reason why it will take a long time for them to be relevant again.

knicksin60

Starter
NEWSFLASH!!!! Knicks are relevant now!

Do you really believe that they're relevant? I'd probably believe that they were if the only sources of Knick information I had was the MSG network and the Knick fans that post on this forum.I don't mean to sound negative, but the signing of Amar'e Stoudemire and the overhaul of their roster has not made the Knicks relevant yet.You most likely have to be relevant in the standings before you become relevant to the majority of fans.

The Knicks' relevancy disappeared in the early 00's after Pat Ewing was traded to the Orlando Magic.Many people who use to follow the Knicks from the tri-state area stopped watching them years ago.The Knicks are rarely the topic of discussion on most NY sports radio programs.Even NY sports writers show their contempt for the Knicks when they write negative articles about them.Many Knick fans and former Knick fans no longer go to MSG to cheer for the Knicks.I'm sure that if this forum were around in the 90's...it would of had more active members than it does now, no knock on the forum.

The Knicks regained a little of their relevancy throughout the weeks proceeding the Decision but quickly regressed back to their present status once people found out that Lebron James wasn't signing with them.I don't like to bring up the topic, but there is no doubt the Knicks would be relevant now had Lebron signed with them.

You have to have the majority following you in order to be relevant.The only way you get the majority to follow you is to be a winning team.The fact that losing teams are rarely shown on nationally televised games is proof that the majority of basketball fans have little to no interest in watching them play.Winning is attractive and increases a teams' popularity.Until the Knicks begin to have winning seasons or sign or trade for another superstar player, they won't come out of the basement of irrelevancy.

Last edited:
^^well said...

i worked/lived in downtown brooklyn for years before my new job. i don't see how they can build a stadium at atlantic ave......

traffic is already horrendous on flatbush as is. Can't imagine what it's gonna be like whne there is a gigantic stadium there. it also was kinda messed up they (real estate developers for the stadium) were trying to kick people outta there homes by offering them not a lot of money for the apts they lived in their whole lives.

They will probably choke off the flow of traffic around Grand Army and Tillery. 2 Bridges, a shopping district and the "law and order" (courts) is already jamming up the place. A stadium along with additional commercail buildings is going to create a hazard 4sure. They are going to have to have traffic cops on every corner,seriously. This could project could have went somewhere else. clearly, it was driven by greed.

My greatest concern with the Nets moving to Brooklyn is that once they start winning their fan base will grow.With the way the Knicks are run...you know their ownership could be the main reason why it will take a long time for them to be relevant again.

A winning team anywhere in NY is like no other. But BK will have that place rocking. JZ will probably have a theme song for them and everything...

mafra

Legend
The Russian wanted to buy the Knicks, but Dolan wouldn't sell. The Knicks are a gold mine. They sell out regardless. Even if the team goes 35+ years w/out a championship, or is the worst NBA team in a decade, even if they announce that they plan on tanking it for 2 years.

Just looking at the two owners, of course logic says the Nets are bound to have a brighter future as we creep into the 20-teens.

Still, I believe whoever wins the Carmelo sweepstakes will have the better immediate future. BUt, Nets desperately need Melo to be relevant. ESPECIALLY because if he goes to the Knicks, then the Nets are done.

If Carmelo Anthony is with the Knciks starting the 2011 season... Tah-Tah Nets. BUT, even if Melo goes to the Nets, the Knicks will still be just as relevant.

Right now the Knick have the best player. Amar'e is better than anybody on the Nets. Sure, Lopez is good. But he doesn't sell tickets and he's not as good as STAT.

KingCharles34

All Star
They might be as good or better then us but either way...

Is the threadstarter worried that a one star is more relevant to his threads then 5 stars are?