Is anyone worried that the Nets might be relevant before the Knicks?

knicksin60

Starter
They might be as good or better then us but either way...

Is the threadstarter worried that a one star is more relevant to his threads then 5 stars are?

I don't create threads in order to win anyone's approval.I come here to discuss the Knicks with people who are mature enough to hold a basketball conversation.If I wanted to gain the favor of people I would become a politician.

knicksin60

Starter
A winning team anywhere in NY is like no other. But BK will have that place rocking. JZ will probably have a theme song for them and everything...

Many Knick fans seem to overlook the fact that nearly half a generation has gone by since the Knicks were relevant.I doubt a lot of today's youth, that live in the tri-state area who are too young to remember the 90's Knicks, would root for the Knicks if the Nets happened to be the better NY team of the two.Some Knick fans think that just because they grew up liking the Knicks that the generations that succeed them will do otherwise.The Knicks might be a historical franchise but that alone doesn't guarantee them complete relevancy in the future.They will always be known as one of the original NBA teams but unless they find a way to break out of their playoff drought and play winning basketball they won't be relevant.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
The Russian wanted to buy the Knicks, but Dolan wouldn't sell. The Knicks are a gold mine. They sell out regardless. Even if the team goes 35+ years w/out a championship, or is the worst NBA team in a decade, even if they announce that they plan on tanking it for 2 years.

Just looking at the two owners, of course logic says the Nets are bound to have a brighter future as we creep into the 20-teens.

Still, I believe whoever wins the Carmelo sweepstakes will have the better immediate future. BUt, Nets desperately need Melo to be relevant. ESPECIALLY because if he goes to the Knicks, then the Nets are done.

If Carmelo Anthony is with the Knciks starting the 2011 season... Tah-Tah Nets. BUT, even if Melo goes to the Nets, the Knicks will still be just as relevant.

Right now the Knick have the best player. Amar'e is better than anybody on the Nets. Sure, Lopez is good. But he doesn't sell tickets and he's not as good as STAT.

When compared to the Nets...there is no doubt that the Knicks are the more relevant franchise based on history, trademark, location, and fan base.But being more relevant than a team who barely won more than 10 games last season isn't really something to ride home about.The Knicks have to regain the respect of the non die-hard Knick fan by proving that they're no longer the losing franchise that people identify them as.

Acquiring Carmelo Anthony would probably boost the Knicks' popularity, but if they continue to play like underachievers they will fall back to being a team that only a small percentage of NBA fans will want to watch.