Knicks Hire Former DEN GM As Consultant

Worth Asking Twice: Pursue Melo Now Or As A FA?

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Knicks hire former Denver Nuggets GM Mark Warkentien as consultant

by RICH on JAN. 30, 2011 in KNICKS

From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

In a move that undoubtedly has roots in the pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh has reached an agreement with former Denver Nuggets general manager Mark Warkentien to join the Knicks as a high-level consultant, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday.

The hiring of Warkentien is expected to be a prelude to a larger and more specific front-office role in the future, but that’s still an issue to be worked out. As the Knicks work to acquire Anthony through a trade this season or in free agency this summer, there’s no minimizing Warkentien’s institutional knowledge of the Nuggets organization and ownership, as well as a strong relationship with Anthony.

ap-ea4d8ebf0b1549599ffc1578b8c9b07d.jpg

Regarding the hiring, Carmelo Anthony remarked, “As far as I’m concerned that’s a great addition to their organization.”

Expect Warkentien to play a role in the Knicks’ pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, whether that be in a trade this year or via free agency this summer.

Nice move Walsh. I suspect a trade for Mello instead of signing him in FA. The last I've heard, Walsh was offering Gallo, Fields, Curry and a first rounder (trading AR for first rounder). It's good to see Donnie gaining more of the upper hand before the dead line.

I say trade for him now.. The Nuggets are starting to get it together and playing well as of late. I don't want this dude to suddenly change his mind.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Either that or the Nuggets play OK but are a first round exit once again and we're back to square one of Carmelo realizing that there are greener pastures over on Broadway

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I myself think the Knicks should wait and sign him as a FA b/c it would be a huge gamble to trade away the players that helped get the Knicks to were they're at today.If they trade 3-4 players and a 1st round pick for Carmello,then the Knicks would have to start all over and rebuild again.I don't want to do that.

The Nuggets asking price is way to high to do the trade.Now if they would come down and not ask so much then I would trade now but thats not going to happen.I say wait and sign him as a FA then are team will still be intact.

iSaYughh

Starter
Chandler, Walker, AR/1st, Curry, maybe one other piece (Douglas, Turiaf, maybe Fields as a worst case scenario).

+1 to Mr. Walsh.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Knicks PA Announcer: Mellllllllooooooooooo

Crowd: Melllllllooooooo

Love it whenever he scores in Denver, can't wait to bring that to the Garden...but I'm a believer in getting him though FA. I don't want to lose Gallo/Fields/Chandler(even though we might have to renounce him) if we have the ability to have Melo paired with them.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
I don't think there's any shot at us getting him in Free Agency any longer. This is the topper, Nuggets Ex-GM is gonna help bring Melo' home- and also getting Warkentien is helpful in case Donnie steps down soon.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
I dont understand how this really gives us an upper hand!

The Nuggets fired Mark as their GM, so why are we to think he has all this influence all of a sudden.

This is a good move in terms of us getting a solid "right hand man" for Donnie in Warkenstein

But this really does not give us the upper hand unless in my opinion.

Paul1355

All Star
Knicks hire former Denver Nuggets GM Mark Warkentien as consultant

by RICH on JAN. 30, 2011 in KNICKS

From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

In a move that undoubtedly has roots in the pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh has reached an agreement with former Denver Nuggets general manager Mark Warkentien to join the Knicks as a high-level consultant, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday.

The hiring of Warkentien is expected to be a prelude to a larger and more specific front-office role in the future, but that?s still an issue to be worked out. As the Knicks work to acquire Anthony through a trade this season or in free agency this summer, there?s no minimizing Warkentien?s institutional knowledge of the Nuggets organization and ownership, as well as a strong relationship with Anthony.

ap-ea4d8ebf0b1549599ffc1578b8c9b07d.jpg

Regarding the hiring, Carmelo Anthony remarked, ?As far as I?m concerned that?s a great addition to their organization.?

Expect Warkentien to play a role in the Knicks? pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, whether that be in a trade this year or via free agency this summer.

donnie is a genius as some posters are saying, he is basically telling us that he is interested in how tto deal with Denver and for Warkenstein to use his rep with the team to influence the Denver front office that it's worth trading with us.

We can keep Fields...we have too much leverage

Paul1355

All Star
Chandler, Walker, AR/1st, Curry, maybe one other piece (Douglas, Turiaf, maybe Fields as a worst case scenario).

+1 to Mr. Walsh.

agreed keeo Fields and Gallo over Chandler....CHandler is a head case, Gallo is gettin more aggressive. I pick Gallo right now

^We were singing the same tune about Gallo not too long ago. Just saying. Don't get too attached to either Chandler or Gallo. They're interchangable in being shipped for Melo IMO.

iSaYughh

Starter
^We were singing the same tune about Gallo not too long ago. Just saying. Don't get too attached to either Chandler or Gallo. They're interchangable in being shipped for Melo IMO.

I'll def give you that. That's why the $ issues of it could really cinch who goes. Chandler may command some serious bucks, and with the instability of the CBA, on top of everything else, I don' think Walsh would look forward to that negotiation and process.

Ideally, we'd maybe sign & trade Chandler if we had Melo....For who idk, though.

We really just need some enforcers and competent big men...And a premier scoring threat to compliment Amare. If it took giving up Gallo and Chandler both in a fell swoop to get Melo and have the ability to bring in a legit big or two (Perkins, Glen Davis, Dalembert, Jordan, etc), no problem.

Kiyaman

Legend
The title of this THREAD should be "Rumor has Donnie Walsh is in pursuit
of hiring former.....", not Knicks hire former.....

I dont see owner Dolan wasting a big bundle of money on this rumor.
Dolan will consult Grunwald & Houston before making a move that will
lead to replacing one of them.
Donnie Walsh has already wasted more money in just 2 years, than Isiah
did in his Knick tour. u can start with Walsh first Knick season paying $21M
to Marbury, $10M to Curry, $8M to Malik Rose, and $10M to Mobley for no
service rendered, after buying-out Balkman $2M contract.
Owner Dolan spent way above $50M in Walsh first season for nothing in return.

All those who responded to the Melo poll above are KO members that
want Gallo & Chandler off the Knicks...

iSaYughh

Starter

Que picture of a koala on a branch saying WTF.

So. Marbury...Curry...Malik Rose...Mobley...Balkman....Are Walsh's guys?

:barf:

Who gave Marbs/Curry/Rose their contracts?

When you make a shit investment you don't look at the pile of shit and spend your time trying to figure out how to make a meal out of it.

You let it go and look forward only to a better future, shit free. Law of sunken treasure.

Who has Walsh brought in and spend bucks on, squandering?

Amare? Fields? Moz?

Right we now we are a,

Better team
Younger team
Wealthier team
Less financially hogtied team

Than when Isiah was here.

How can you see this, refute it, and front comparing Isiah favorably to Walsh? And on money? Wow...

NYK are the richest in NBA. Dolan is a multi-billionaire. Worry less about what's happening to his pockets, and more about what our team's actual cap situation is. The cap Isiah butchered, and Walsh rescued us from!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

This is the single dumbest post I've ever seen on the forum.

iJoe

Rotation player
This is Kiyaman you guys are talking about. Since when has any sane and rational being ever took him seriously on these forums? Though sadly there are a lot of crazies last I checked.

I do love his posts since they never fail to entertain me though. Keep on posting Kiya!