• D

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • F

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul1355

All Star
Andy Rautins - 6'5 Syracuse sharp shooter who shot over 40% from the three point line.

Landry Fields- Pac 10 star that averaged 22 points and 8 rebounds per game who is known for his leaping ability at 6'7.

We had needs to fill at Center and point guard. Rautins can play the point and averaged 5 assist per game last year.

Landy on the other hand is just another role player that is 6'7.

I understand Rautins because of his shooting ability, but with Chandler and Gallo, I don't see the logic of passing up on Jerome Jordan or Solomon Alibi for Landry Fields. If he becomes a good scorer/rebounder then we are fine but again we are filling a team with undersized forwards...(AGAIN)... and we still have major holes at PF and Center.

Grade em

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
I don't know the players enough to grade them, and I would have rather seen Varnado, Alabi or Lawal in orange&blue...but picking Fields seems to me like Chandler will be traded soon.

The pick in Rautins reminded me of the Danilo Gallinari pick a couple years ago: great shooters that are made to play at a quick tempo. I don't know if the Syracuse guard is big enough and strong enough to be a potential threat, but if he can muscle up a bit then anything can happen.

Obviously the needs of the Knicks relied on a guy who could grab the boards, Jerome Jordan in a nut shell. The guy has got a 7' 5'' wingspan, seems impressive.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
This is clearly Donnie Walsh's 4th F grade with the Knicks.The first three F's being the D'antoni hiring, the Jordan Hill drafting and the 2010 plan.

wnyknicksfan

Benchwarmer
Why waste a pick on a big when it would never play zoubek was one of the only bigs they liked it makes sense what they did rautins was undrafted but he is the best pure shooter this year every team wanted him if he went undrafted

mafra

Legend
I don't know the players enough to grade them, and I would have rather seen Varnado, Alabi or Lawal in orange&blue...but picking Fields seems to me like Chandler will be traded soon.

Amen! Feel the same way. We needed a BIG, not another SF; and that tells me Wilson Chandler might be on his way out of town.

Anyway, if the rumor is true - we bought Jerome Jordan - then there you have it, we got the BIG we wanted (and needed).

I was really in favor of doing what Dal did: trade for a 1st and grab Dominic Jones. There's a SG for you.

This stupid 2010 plan is a huge gamble. We went all-in, and if we strike out then we are doomed for another decade. Heck, we (in essence) traded 3 first round picks just so HOU would take Jeffries, and his 6 mil cap hit for 2010, off our roster. WOW!

Now that CHI has cleared cap room to sign both Bosh & Lebron.... GULP! This deal can't be finalized until July 8th.... So we better make ur move quickly or else!

So, what happens if/when LJ and Bosh elect to go elsewhere? We're stuck with Rautins? This is why I would have made my move for Jones.

Seems like we had our sights set on Hobson. When he was taken, we just decided to go with the 2 best offensive scorers that best suited D'ant's system.

Rautins can shoot the rock, and has the pedigree (his father played in the NBA). He has skill that will compliment LJ's game. We did need a sniper. I can live with this pick.

The Landry pick was a shocker. We could have signed him after the draft. And since we just selected Rautins, when you look at the complete picture (both picks), then this Landry pick makes you throw up in your mouth a bit.

Seems like we were set to get a T-Prince type player. Hobson was our 1st choice, and obviously this guy was the 2nd choice.

Overall, I say incomplete. I have to see if we trade Chandler, or who we sign in free agency. Thomas already traded our 1st roudner, so we didn't have much to work with.

But we did get a C in Jordan, a shooter in Rautins and a scorer/team-defender in Fields. If two make the team and crack the rotation then we give Walsh and A+.

Toons

is the Bo$$
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FKkuyI0ot5M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FKkuyI0ot5M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kiyaman

Legend
Hands down! on Walsh

This is clearly Donnie Walsh's 4th F grade with the Knicks.The first three F's being the D'antoni hiring, the Jordan Hill drafting and the 2010 plan.

Damn! I wanted Vasquez out of this draft.
The Picks already are graded (2nd round picks).
It's Donnie Walsh that need to be graded on his 3rd Draft?

Donnie Walsh was suppose to get 5 players out of the 2nd round.
PG, SG, SF, PF, Center. Why?
to put on the summer league roster along with the 5 D.League players we invite to the summer games. Which also should be a PG, SG, SF, PF, and Center.

Knick 60.....u are 100% right on Donnie Walsh receiving a BIG "F" for FAILURE as the Knick President.
:update:
But u are absolutely wrong about "Jordan Hill".
Jordan Hill's potential is not in scoring, his raw athleticism show he is the 2nd bigman in the paint to rebound, blockshots, put backs, alley-oop, backdoor play, screening, and he has a wild reaction when bumbing bodies in the paint like Rodman, Horry, Malik Rose, Bowen, Big Baby, that makes oponents backoff.
This was the reason why Houston coach Adeleman gave rookie Jordan Hill twice the playingtime (in two months) than coach Damntoni gave him in 4 months.
The talents, skills, and potential to do better is already built in Jordan Hill.
The "Scola & Hill" lineup showed a strong front, imagine the two as center-Yao's PF???

AlboKnickFan

Benchwarmer
This is a disgrace... What is wrong with this franchise man??

We ****ing need a point Guard and a CENTER... we have enough ****ing small forwards...

**** DONNIE WALSH AND DANTONI **** them..

Toons

is the Bo$$
the combination of rautins and gallo will make us the best 3pt shooting teams in the league. Fields can also hit the 3. lebron wants shooters, we gat shooters

mafra

Legend
I think it's funny Lance Stephenson went 40th. right after we take 2 dudes, BAM.... There goes BORN READY. Reminded me of Artest. We take Frenchy and then Ron gets taken. Both are like the same player.... Physical players who play defense. Not saying we should have taken LS, but he did have the most upside of anyone on the board. Certainly a better pick than Fields.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i believe in talent over position. who knows where these guys will be in 2 years
good draft, we needed to make up for not getting steph curry last year as he was the best shooter in the draft with a good pedigree and an nba father. we get rautins who has the same pedigree. dont know much about fields, he is wilson chandler all over. and if we did get jordan, i give donnie a B+

Kiyaman

Legend
Amen! Feel the same way. We needed a BIG, not another SF; and that tells me Wilson Chandler might be on his way out of town.

Anyway, if the rumor is true - we bought Jerome Jordan - then there you have it, we got the BIG we wanted (and needed).

I was really in favor of doing what Dal did: trade for a 1st and grab Dominic Jones. There's a SG for you.

This stupid 2010 plan is a huge gamble. We went all-in, and if we strike out then we are doomed for another decade. Heck, we (in essence) traded 3 first round picks just so HOU would take Jeffries, and his 6 mil cap hit for 2010, off our roster. WOW!

Now that CHI has cleared cap room to sign both Bosh & Lebron.... GULP! This deal can't be finalized until July 8th.... So we better make ur move quickly or else!

So, what happens if/when LJ and Bosh elect to go elsewhere? We're stuck with Rautins? This is why I would have made my move for Jones.

Seems like we had our sights set on Hobson. When he was taken, we just decided to go with the 2 best offensive scorers that best suited D'ant's system.

Rautins can shoot the rock, and has the pedigree (his father played in the NBA). He has skill that will compliment LJ's game. We did need a sniper. I can live with this pick.

The Landry pick was a shocker. We could have signed him after the draft. And since we just selected Rautins, when you look at the complete picture (both picks), then this Landry pick makes you throw up in your mouth a bit.

Seems like we were set to get a T-Prince type player. Hobson was our 1st choice, and obviously this guy was the 2nd choice.

Overall, I say incomplete. I have to see if we trade Chandler, or who we sign in free agency. Thomas already traded our 1st roudner, so we didn't have much to work with.

But we did get a C in Jordan, a shooter in Rautins and a scorer/team-defender in Fields. If two make the team and crack the rotation then we give Walsh and A+.

There is no way Walsh could make a "A+" as Knick President.
Walsh never went pass a "B-" in his 20 years with Indiana Pacers.

Every sports announcer and spoken word in last night draft about the Knicks getting Lebron James were the same reaction I been giving for two years after Donnie Walsh foolish open speech at getting the Knicks job.
one and a billion chance.

It bothers me to read in so many Knick forums after this draft class selection how many young minded Knick-fans are still writing about getting Lebron James. What was ex-Knick coach JVG exact words on draft night, "the Knicks dont have a bench to sign two max FA, the best they could do is sign some starters out of the FA market"...

mafra

Legend
There is no way Walsh could make a "A+" as Knick President.
Walsh never went pass a "B-" in his 20 years with Indiana Pacers.

Every sports announcer and spoken word in last night draft about the Knicks getting Lebron James were the same reaction I been giving for two years after Donnie Walsh foolish open speech at getting the Knicks job.
one and a billion chance.

It bothers me to read in so many Knick forums after this draft class selection how many young minded Knick-fans are still writing about getting Lebron James. What was ex-Knick coach JVG exact words on draft night, "the Knicks dont have a bench to sign two max FA, the best they could do is sign some starters out of the FA market"...

Not sure what you're trying to say?

In my opinion, if you get a player that cracks your rotation in the 2nd round.... You get an A. Simple as that. We, supposedly, drafted 3 guys in the 2nd round. If two of these players make the team.... contribute even slightly.... That's an A+.

Anyway, let people talk. Who knows what will happen next week. We do have Douglas, Gallo, Chandler, Curry, Walker and now Rautins, Fields, Jordan. Maybe we re-up Barron.

Trust me, if Lebron and Bosh sign with us, we'll get at least 2 vets coming aboard for the ride (Felton & Mike Miller).

We also have 2 assets in Chandler and Curry. We could trade them for bad contracts and other young players. Who knows.

Look at MIA. They have like 3 men on their roster? Plus, do you see a type-A personality like Bosh-Lebron joining Wade's team? Playing sidekick? Not when they can go to CHI or NY?

And, do they really want to play in MJ's shadow? And we could argue that NY, with their shooters (Gallo & Rautins) might have a better team suited for LJ's game.

AGAIN, let's wait ntil we pass judgement.

WHY?

We all felt there was no choice but go all-in for the 2010 free agency period. We had no other alternative really. We all felt Walsh will be judged on what he does this summer, and if he's successful.

He did draft Gallo and Douglas. Both appear to have bright futures. Only time will tell. I like both players and believe in them!

The one bad move is the Hill pick (and the decision to dump Hill and 2 future 1st rounders just to shed Jeffries 6 mil cap hit for 2010). To me, if we fail to land either LJ or BOSH, than that move will be a complete disaster!

I felt we should have traded up for a player, and maybe fear of a cap hit prevented us from doing so? Again, if we strike out next week then that's another terrible decision.

Still, Walsh deserves our patience. We agreed he needed to tear it up and start anew. He broke it down. Drafted players. Cleared space. He'll be judged on what he does now.

Walsh did take Miller over Alford and gave Indy their best run since they left the ABA. Not too shabby.

metrocard

Legend
A+ is your 2nd round pick turns out like Monta Ellis, Ginboili or Arenas.

C+ if your 2nd round pick makes the roster.

mafra

Legend
A+ is your 2nd round pick turns out like Monta Ellis, Ginboili or Arenas.

C+ if your 2nd round pick makes the roster.

GO skim through the last 10 drafts and pluck out all the players that even played a little role in the league.

Saying you only give a C+ to find a plyer in the 2nd round, suggests that that sort of thing is below expectations? Come on now. Sure, maybe A+ is a reach for 2 role players....

Anyway, the thing is.... Maybe Rautins and Fields are the next Rip Hamilton and T-Prince. Why pass judgement now? Unless you're an NBA scout, then saying anything is devoid of merit.

Not many people were screaming about Douglas. The kid can play and just might have a bright future. People killed the Gallo pick, but he looks like a player as well (with most upside).

Walsh passed on Jennings. Sure. But that was b/c stupid James Dolan retained IT's scouts, and they missed on him. A good manager delegates.

SO, maybe we should realize one thing: JAMES DOLAN is ruining this team. Has done so already and will continue to. He dealt Camby b/c he missed a PR meeting!

metrocard

Legend
Don't really need to be an NBA scout to figure out the obvious.

Rautins and Fielders only had one good season a piece, and that was in their senior year.

Rautins wasn't even a 3pt threat for most of his college career, he was a 32% 3pt shooter FR year and 35% 3pt shooter in his SO year and a 36% 3pt shooter in his JR year. Dude has no play making ability and isn't a scorer, and has a weak body and will never be a defender in the league. This is a NBDLeaguer for years to come.

As for Fields, good scorer on a team with no scorers...guys like him you can find anywhere.

We wasted two 2nd round picks on two non-special guys instead of potential sleepers.

If they make the roster, what sense would it make to give it an A+ when thats such a low standard?

2nd round picks do BLOSSOM into great players, especially in a deep draft like this where 2nd picks are no different than picks 15-30.

The difference with Douglas is that he was ACC defensive player of the year, and he was productive through his entire college career and has a lot of credentials. We haven't had a perimeter defending PG as good as him since Charlie Ward, a fellow seminole.

I agree 100%, Dolan has completely ****ed this franchise just like how the Federal Reserve has ****ed up the world and theres nothing we can do sadly.

p0nder

Starter
We were set up for a disappointment in the draft with 2 2nd rounders. I would of liked us to have traded up and got some better talent in the first round. So grading our draft night starts off on a bit of a bad note to begin with.

The players we got are not necessarily at the best positions for our team. We have SG's and SF's. I do think that they were some of the better talent left on the board however and as others have mentioned, you go for talent over position. It will remain to be seen what happens with these prospects after July 1st. I do not see either cracking our rotation this year if we do get the 2 FA's we are after.

The lone bright spot is Jerome Jordan, if indeed we do have him. He fills a need at the center position and his frame alone is impressive enough and something that we could work with. If we had a great Big Man coach like Ewing I would feel even better about picking him up, But i still think he will be a player we can utilize going forward.

Overall I give the draft night a C+, but I don't think it could of been a whole lot better given our positioning.