Who has better upside?

iSaYughh

Starter
AR-47 has the ability to dominate Gallo statistically.

Rebounding, blocking, steals, FG %, positional versatility.

Gallo will always have a superior shot with range.

Maybe not worth the risk when Gallo himself can dominate statistically in his own right, with versatility himself.

Both rare talents. One a bit rarer, but a lot more raw.

And. Assuming this is part of a CP3 sacrifice, when we add him (or whomever) I want the more proven commodity out on the court with him with fewer question marks so we can get to work right away.

But hopefully we have the sense to take on Okefor in getting Paul and this is moot as we watch these two wreck opposing teams.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Randolph is a PF guys. He will not play center. He cannot play center. Yes he can block shots, but he doesn't play post defense well at all and he's not strong. We already have a LEGIT 4. I'm not all that enamored by AR's game.

Gallo has the the bigger upside and I'll tell you why. He's not a great athlete, but he can still get by guys because he has a good low dribble, basically a solid handle, along with that lethal jump shot and a sneaky little first step. He's such a threat from the outside and that opens up his slashing game. He has good vision and manages to find cutting players when he does so. He also defends one on one on the perimeter, which is a rare commodity. And, yes he blocks shots too.

AR is not as complete a player as Gallo is and they are both still very young.

dan1608

Benchwarmer
Anthony Randolph has more potential. He gets a lot of blocks, plays raw defense and can be a huge player in the future.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
While I would love Paul, I would rather wait and actually rebuild. Gallo is a great young 3 for the future, and Randolph is probably a 4/3 right now but has the size to be a superstar center if he bulks up. We can get Paul in 2 years if he still wants to come and until then we still have Felton keeping us contending. I also think that we have a good center combo for the future with Mozgov and Randolph, with mosgov d-ing up big bangers and Randolph wreaking havoc on smaller ones.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
Randolph is a PF guys. He will not play center. He cannot play center. Yes he can block shots, but he doesn't play post defense well at all and he's not strong. .

The kid turned 21 the other day, he came in the league at 17. He looks like a middle school kid that hasnt grown into his body yet. He might be to small to be a center now, but I think he will eventually be a great one.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
Both are young and with anthony being a little bit younger.
Both close to the same height.
I would say Gallo at the moment but who knows how much AR can improve his.

AR is more of a talent, not blossomed yet.
Gallo has the IQ, the shot and he's not giving up to anybody, LBJ, Melo or Kobe...his pants are always clean when he faces them...no fear, and that's a Knicks spirit inside !!

Hope we can keep them both

Knicks for 2012

CP3
Melo
Gallo
AR
Stat

The south beach guys start to tremble !!

this is anthony randolphs potential rolled into one:
antonio mcdyess mid range jumper
kevin durants length
gerald greens hops
amare stoudemire 2005-2007 dunks
lebron + birdman blocking
rookie camby athelticsm
kevin garnett post skills
08" paul pierce perimeter defense
slashing ability of kevin durant
tendency to go to the foul line like kevin durant since he has long arms
fastbreak highlight real like lebron
passing ability of david lee
rebounding of greg oden
45-50% field goal shooting
ball handles of kevin durant

top 3 in mvp voting and potentially an mvp
all-star
all nba selection
dunk contest winner
Hall of famer
6th man of the year

Here is danillo gallinari:
jumpshot of hedo turkuglu
passing of hedo trukuglu
on the post jumper of dirk
rebounding of turkuglu
defense of caron butler
athleticsm of turkuglu
clutchness of turkuglu
assists of turkuglu
ball handles of turkuglu
slashing ability of turkuglu
leadership of steve nash
toughness of steve nash

all star reserve
3pt contest winner multiple times
one of the greatest shooters of all time

bottom line gallo at best is a better version of turkuglu and anthony randolph can be a new specimen of a player.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
For what it's worth I just don't understand the fascination w/ AR.

One thing I must ask all of you who tout him as if he's the second coming of KG or Bosh is:

Can the friggin kid shoot???

I haven't seen the type of mid-range game that he would need to catapult himself onto the level of those guys.

He needs that insanely consistent 15-18 foot jumper to be able to open up the rest of his mid-range offense:
ie the jab-step, one dribble pull-up, or the up fake and slash to the cup, or a hard one or two dribble and then a fade-away. Bosh is particularly competent with these moves.

Really, Bosh is so polished. He reminds me of Scottie Pippen from 18ft and in. Bosh is worlds away from AR.

So, he needs a mid-range game, but I also feel that he needs a few go to post moves.

I've seen him make an athletic move and over-power guys w said athleticism, then make a short banker, or lay-up/dunk, but there isn't much polish in the post to speak of either.

Whereas I've seen Bosh or KG consitently get the ball in the post, go through a series of fundamental moves and fakes to get open, then finish at the rim or with a short fade-away jumpshot.

I have seen none of the above, with any consistency from this guy.

With Duncan, Bosh and KG, you could see right away that they had the mental aptitude to put together the fundamentals to go along with there other gifts. This especially the case with TD.

To me AR has the potential to be a nice player, W A ROLE.

There I said it! He does not have the b-ball IQ to go along with his considerable physical gifts.

He will never be a franchise player, let alone a HOFer . <<< Pleeeaaease! that is just nonsense.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
1. He's young.
2. You can teach shooting.
3. You can teach BBall IQ to some extent
4. You can even teach post moves
5. What you cannot teach, is insane athleticism and being 7 feet tall and Anthony Randolph has BOTH of those things

For what it's worth I just don't understand the fascination w/ AR.

One thing I must ask all of you who tout him as if he's the second coming of KG or Bosh is:

Can the friggin kid shoot???

I haven't seen the type of mid-range game that he would need to catapult himself onto the level of those guys.

He needs that insanely consistent 15-18 foot jumper to be able to open up the rest of his mid-range offense:
ie the jab-step, one dribble pull-up, or the up fake and slash to the cup, or a hard one or two dribble and then a fade-away. Bosh is particularly competent with these moves.

Really, Bosh is so polished. He reminds me of Scottie Pippen from 18ft and in. Bosh is worlds away from AR.

So, he needs a mid-range game, but I also feel that he needs a few go to post moves.

I've seen him make an athletic move and over-power guys w said athleticism, then make a short banker, or lay-up/dunk, but there isn't much polish in the post to speak of either.

Whereas I've seen Bosh or KG consitently get the ball in the post, go through a series of fundamental moves and fakes to get open, then finish at the rim or with a short fade-away jumpshot.

I have seen none of the above, with any consistency from this guy.

With Duncan, Bosh and KG, you could see right away that they had the mental aptitude to put together the fundamentals to go along with there other gifts. This especially the case with TD.

To me AR has the potential to be a nice player, W A ROLE.

There I said it! He does not have the b-ball IQ to go along with his considerable physical gifts.

He will never be a franchise player, let alone a HOFer . <<< Pleeeaaease! that is just nonsense.

actually he can be a new type of player just like lebron.dwight,odom he has alot of versatility

Paul1355

All Star
Gallo or Randolph? They are both young, long and have tremendous potential. I like them both but think one of them needs to go in a trade to sure up another position.

I think it's close but I have to give it to AR. The guy has the potential to be a beast on both ends of the floor, a complete player with hops and athleticism. This guy can guard almost any position and once his jumper is consistent he will be very hard to stop.
Hard question

Gallo can turn into a 20 ppg shooter who can rebound 5 or more a game and block a shot a game...

Randolph doesnt have the offensive cababilites of Gallo because of his lack of an outside shot, but being almost 7 feet with atheleticism of a guard can allow Randolph to potentially average the same numbers as Gallo.
Randolph will grab more rebounds and block more shots than Gallo, and will get more steals.

Overall it looks like Randolph will be better in more areas.

But Gallo can probably be more effective with better players around him. (Chris Paul)

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
actually he can be a new type of player just like lebron.dwight,odom he has alot of versatility

Okay but you said he could be HOFer, if I'm correct. And no I don't believe he can be like Lebron or Dwight.

Why in the heck would the GsW trade him if he had that kind of promise? They know what he is. That's why they let him go.

And let me ask you this. Does it make to sense to trade a guy, who in your words could be like Lebron or Dwight, w two other pretty good players, for Lee?? Common man..

Odom is probably the most apt comparison.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Because GSW is filled with morons, duh. Go on a board where people talk about the Warriors and they're fuming at the fact that they traded Anthony Randolph.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Because GSW is filled with morons, duh. Go on a board where people talk about the Warriors and they're fuming at the fact that they traded Anthony Randolph.

They're coach is a moron?? Last time I checked Don Nelson had the most wins in league history.

Do you think the Warriors' front office doesn't consult w him before making a move? He knew what AR was man.

He's decent role player right now who could become a good role player in the future.

He's like a young Odom w no jumpshot, lowsy IQ and defensive tenacity of the risk taking sort.

Last edited:

DieHardPassion

Benchwarmer
When obviously Randolph has a higher potential than Gallo because Gallo is a better player right now. Randolph will either be a bust or a win because if he does what he needs to do he'll reach his fullest potential. Where as Gallo I think he's safer in that he will probably stay mediocre in terms of potential through out his career. So if you want to take a risk than keep Randolph but if you want something that's already proven than keep Gallo...

Okay but you said he could be HOFer, if I'm correct. And no I don't believe he can be like Lebron or Dwight.

Why in the heck would the GsW trade him if he had that kind of promise? They know what he is. That's why they let him go.

And let me ask you this. Does it make to sense to trade a guy, who in your words could be like Lebron or Dwight, w two other pretty good players, for Lee?? Common man..

Odom is probably the most apt comparison.

i didnt say he can be like lebron or dwight i said he can be a new prototype,for ex dwight is the first super athletic center to date and lebron is 260 pound fast and strong get it?

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Gallo and Randolph both have the potential and skills to become huge stars in this league. They both are 21 and not even touched their peaks. Forget who has better upside. Imagine these two together. Crazy combo. Dominant athletic F in Randolph and Gallo becoming the sharp shooter we know he can be. Both can rebound and block. Yes have you see the blocks Gallo had last season?? Randolph, yes i agree will be the better defender and more of a slasher.

These two would become the "dynamic duo" if you will. I'm telling you we got with away 1st degree robbery. This kid Randolph which looks like he has his head on straight now, will become what was expected of him this season. Gallo had so much pressure last season it's not even funny. He now has Amare to take some load off. Gallo will come in more eased and will perform at a high level. We have the pieces guys. The Knicks are BACK!, Quote Amare.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
i didnt say he can be like lebron or dwight i said he can be a new prototype,for ex dwight is the first super athletic center to date and lebron is 260 pound fast and strong get it?

Ok fair enough. But it sounded like you were going there though. You did say he could be HOFer and Dwight and Lebron are sure locks for the HOF, so I made the connection.

First you say AR can be HOFer then you back track and say he can be a "new prototype" of two players that will surely go there someday. Yea I get it.