Who has better upside?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
They're coach is a moron?? Last time I checked Don Nelson had the most wins in league history.

Do you think the Warriors' front office doesn't consult w him before making a move? He knew what AR was man.

He's decent role player right now who could become a good one role player in the future.

He's like a young Odom w no jumpshot, lowsy IQ and defensive tenacity of the risk taking sort.

OK, so Randolph's got no jumpshot and has yet to develop a good basketball mind. He's also 21 years old, 7 feet tall, and insanely athletic and good at shotblocking. Do you REALLY think that he doesn't have potential?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
OK, so Randolph's got no jumpshot and has yet to develop a good basketball mind. He's also 21 years old, 7 feet tall, and insanely athletic and good at shotblocking. Do you REALLY think that he doesn't have potential?

Yes I think he has potential, but how much is what is in question. Many people on this board are touting him like he's going to be a great player. I happen to disagree. I have been very clear and adamant that I feel he has the chance to be a good to very good player, but not a great player, and definitely not a HOFer for God's sakes.

I'm not even sure I would characterize him as an insanely athletic player. I happen to be of the mind that we already have a PF who could be characterized as INSANELY athletic, in STAT! While I think AR is a very good athlete, i'm sure if we put together a highlight reel along the same lines of some of Amare's best plays, we could see what an insanely athletic PF looks like. STAT makes plays that are astounding and there is not a player his size that can stay in front of him. He can also rise up over anyone.

Ok well maybe AR is really, really athletic. I just got a flashback of him rising up over Yao twice in the same game from that highlight reel I saw on this forum. I'm changing my mind as I'm typing. Yes, extremely athletic would characterize AR, but I want to see more of those kinds of plays. Amare has done it w more frequency, more consistency and in bigger spots.

AR has potential, yes. But does he have the drive and aptitude to fill the holes in his game so he can be that great player most of you are insinuating he can be? That remains to be seen. I'm betting he doesn't. But if he's not traded and proves me wrong, I'm happy anyway cause he's on my team. It's all good.

Listen, I'm all for him becoming a great player too! As a fan of this team it would be crazy for me not to be. But my logic and experience watching players tells me that he simply does not have the IT, or enough of that IT factor to get there.

When I watch Gallo I feel a different way. He has a nice little portion of the IT factor, that is the drive and aptitude to mitigate his weakness, adding to his overall strength. This is why I think he has the potential to be an all-star caliber player.

There have been many players w great gifts, but it takes more than that to be a consistently devastating, dynamic player in the NBA.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
...So you just admitted that AR is insanely athletic. We also know he's 7'0" and only 21 years old.

Must you insist that his ceiling is only that of a good role player when he's yet to get consistent minutes in this league not to mention he's still extremely young? Give the guy a chance to prove himself first.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
...So you just admitted that AR is insanely athletic. We also know he's 7'0" and only 21 years old.

Must you insist that his ceiling is only that of a good role player when he's yet to get consistent minutes in this league not to mention he's still extremely young? Give the guy a chance to prove himself first.

I have no choice but give the guy a chance. I want him to be great too. I know what I've seen from him though. I know what my gut tells me. We'll see if I'm wrong...

iJoe

Rotation player
They're coach is a moron?? Last time I checked Don Nelson had the most wins in league history.

Do you think the Warriors' front office doesn't consult w him before making a move? He knew what AR was man.

He's decent role player right now who could become a good role player in the future.

He's like a young Odom w no jumpshot, lowsy IQ and defensive tenacity of the risk taking sort.

Let me tell you something..... Don Nelson having the most wins doesn't mean jack diddly squat. The latest success he had was on the Bucks where he had a great Defensive assistant. Take a look at who has more PLAYOFF WINS.

Okay... so its not all bad. Nelson is a brilliant offensive mind, yes... However, he is a toxic influence who craves attention and demands credit for whatever small amount of success there is. He is also brilliant at destroying locker rooms. Stephen Jackson turned from him best friend to most hated nemesis who couldn't wait to leave.

Right now, NOBODY knows enough about AR to make any judgements. He's got a sky high ceiling but is extremely young and has shown he doesn't understand the game yet. He can turn into a Gerald Green (remember him?), Stromile Swift, or Darius Miles who all had the NBA athleticism and could put up stats, but could never learn to play team ball. AR undoubtedly has a real potential to be a huge bust, but no one can deny he can be a big star as well.

We could have lost David Lee for nothing. We got some great potential instead. So man up, watch the season unfold and pray the Knicks finally get some luck. God I hope AR doesn't turn into a Deer.

Last edited:

Blas

Benchwarmer
Wow I am impressed. Considering more then half the board had no clue who AR was when we got him, we have a bunch of experts on him all of a sudden.

Youtube clips and articles huh?

How about watching 33 complete games of him playing.

I like both Randolph and Gallo. They are both unique in the fact they have skills that do not go with their build.

Regardless of this, Gallo has a higher ceiling.

Why?

Let's get rid of everything basketball. They both have positives and negatives.

The biggest things that turns you into a winner vs a looser is attitude. Gallo has the right one, AR has the wrong one. Gallo is a leader and is a very mature player for his age. He is also a team player. AR is not a leader and he is as mature as his age, with a poor work ethic. Do you think you can really teach work ethic, so easily? Maybe you need to look at the people around you and even yourselves to answer that question.

Just because this guy is an athletic freak does not mean he can be great because, "Oh you just can teach him work ethic and those other basketball skills."

Now for AR's amazing Defense abilities.

You guys are so obsessed with shot blocking. Shot blocking is ONE aspect of the defensive game. Heck it isn't even the most important aspect of defense. Why? If it was such a big part of D why do we have all of these college players average 2+ shots blocked a game come in as failures? Its called being able to play the defensive post. That is not taught in most of the college game. That is what makes a big man a great defender. Once you learn the defensive post game the shot blocking comes along.

So for bigmen, learn post FIRST, learn blocking shots SECOND.

AR is an AWFUL defensive post player. Horrible, not even close to average. He gets owned over and over again by other bigs.

AR is great at blocking shots by cherry picking, help defense, and running up to swat a ball in the air near the perimeter. I am not saying these are bad things, these are great things, BUT this does not make AR a great defensive player.

He is a good one, with a horrible defensive post game.

I hope AR absolutely makes me eat all of these words. I hope this kid flies high and becomes one of the Knicks best all time players. I have posted great things about AR, but I do keep things realistic. Like I said I like him and I'll be cheering for him.

But right now, he is a just a young, tall, skinny, not very strong, athletic freak with some descent ball skills and flashes of stardom followed by a lazy attitude.

iJoe

Rotation player
But jeckomaru, Camby won the defensive player of the year just by blocking a ton of shots!!! He doesn't play post defense against his man and just jumps at every opportunity for a shot block.

God I hate how media votes for the awards......

I'm not sure if AR is lazy, but I just hope he doesn't turn into a deer like Stromile Swift. Its hard to judge ceilings, because AR definitely has a higher one. Then again so did Swift, Darius Miles, and Milicic.

AR has massive potential, but is much much less likely of reaching it than Danilo.

HoLLaBaCK

Rookie
Randolph is my choice! 6'10 with great handle, he has speed, he's an effort guy, shot blocker, can rebound, and has a jumpshot. I think if this kid puts in the work he will be an allstar, he has all the physical tools...now we gotta see if he can mentally put it all together. I think he's in the perfect place with the system we run.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Let me tell you something..... Don Nelson having the most wins doesn't mean jack diddly squat. The latest success he had was on the Bucks where he had a great Defensive assistant. Take a look at who has more PLAYOFF WINS.

Okay... so its not all bad. Nelson is a brilliant offensive mind, yes... However, he is a toxic influence who craves attention and demands credit for whatever small amount of success there is. He is also brilliant at destroying locker rooms. Stephen Jackson turned from him best friend to most hated nemesis who couldn't wait to leave.

Right now, NOBODY knows enough about AR to make any judgements. He's got a sky high ceiling but is extremely young and has shown he doesn't understand the game yet. He can turn into a Gerald Green (remember him?), Stromile Swift, or Darius Miles who all had the NBA athleticism and could put up stats, but could never learn to play team ball. AR undoubtedly has a real potential to be a huge bust, but no one can deny he can be a big star as well.

We could have lost David Lee for nothing. We got some great potential instead. So man up, watch the season unfold and pray the Knicks finally get some luck. God I hope AR doesn't turn into a Deer.

I think Nelson knows a player that won't fulfill his potential when he sees one and responded accordingly but shipping his ass here. I really hope AR's not a bust either, but I'm very skeptical of what he will do..

And I prefer to let my inner child come to the surface when I watch the Knicks, so no, I will not man up. Lol :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
Wow I am impressed. Considering more then half the board had no clue who AR was when we got him, we have a bunch of experts on him all of a sudden.

Youtube clips and articles huh?

How about watching 33 complete games of him playing.

I like both Randolph and Gallo. They are both unique in the fact they have skills that do not go with their build.

Regardless of this, Gallo has a higher ceiling.

Why?

Let's get rid of everything basketball. They both have positives and negatives.

The biggest things that turns you into a winner vs a looser is attitude. Gallo has the right one, AR has the wrong one. Gallo is a leader and is a very mature player for his age. He is also a team player. AR is not a leader and he is as mature as his age, with a poor work ethic. Do you think you can really teach work ethic, so easily? Maybe you need to look at the people around you and even yourselves to answer that question.

Just because this guy is an athletic freak does not mean he can be great because, "Oh you just can teach him work ethic and those other basketball skills."

Now for AR's amazing Defense abilities.

You guys are so obsessed with shot blocking. Shot blocking is ONE aspect of the defensive game. Heck it isn't even the most important aspect of defense. Why? If it was such a big part of D why do we have all of these college players average 2+ shots blocked a game come in as failures? Its called being able to play the defensive post. That is not taught in most of the college game. That is what makes a big man a great defender. Once you learn the defensive post game the shot blocking comes along.

So for bigmen, learn post FIRST, learn blocking shots SECOND.

AR is an AWFUL defensive post player. Horrible, not even close to average. He gets owned over and over again by other bigs.

AR is great at blocking shots by cherry picking, help defense, and running up to swat a ball in the air near the perimeter. I am not saying these are bad things, these are great things, BUT this does not make AR a great defensive player.

He is a good one, with a horrible defensive post game.

I hope AR absolutely makes me eat all of these words. I hope this kid flies high and becomes one of the Knicks best all time players. I have posted great things about AR, but I do keep things realistic. Like I said I like him and I'll be cheering for him.

But right now, he is a just a young, tall, skinny, not very strong, athletic freak with some descent ball skills and flashes of stardom followed by a lazy attitude.

I agree I think Galo has a much bigger upside. The biggest thing I question with him is his physical and mental toughness in terms of just drawing contact and fouls, but 40% shooting from 3 pt range, that is just sick

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Gallo is getting bigger, though. He and Randolph are also both young so it's gonna be tough to judge them without them both having at least another year under their belts.

One of them is going to end up as an all-star caliber player, that's my gut feeling on it