Melo Will Take a Hard Look at Denver's Extension for Him

Oldtimer

Rotation player
More Melo

I have a feeling that Walsh/Dolan will blink and add Gallo or Fields to the mix, but I do not think it is necessary. Melo understandably wants his money and to move as promptly as possible, but if he waits for free agency and convinces Denver he will, I doubt he will lose that much money and the Knicks will have saved assets. I would not blink if I were Walsh/Dolan. Melo wants New York, let him pay a little bit for it.

If Melo waits we keep our assets and can trade them for needs.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
I have a feeling that Walsh/Dolan will blink and add Gallo or Fields to the mix, but I do not think it is necessary. Melo understandably wants his money and to move as promptly as possible, but if he waits for free agency and convinces Denver he will, I doubt he will lose that much money and the Knicks will have saved assets. I would not blink if I were Walsh/Dolan. Melo wants New York, let him pay a little bit for it.

If Melo waits we keep our assets and can trade them for needs.

melo isnt a need?

nyk_nyk

All Star
With that stupid comment Melo basically told DEN to not do anything and he will probably sign the contract. It's very clear he want his money and would accept it from denver if he has to so why would DEN trade him now?

WTF??? Melo needs to chill out for the next 2 weeks.

If you look at my posts about Melo right from the start I said I always believed Melo would resign. I also believed that Denver would look to make some changes and try to bring in some help for Melo.
Do you really think that this deal is being held up strictly because Walsh doesn't want to give up Gallo and Chandler for Melo? If he can hold onto Fields and just give up those 2, I'm pretty sure Walsh would of jumped on it. If there is any truth to the deal being held up due to players than it has to be Denver wanting all 3 guys plus picks plus salary relief...
Walsh is just protecting the Knicks from being fleeced for a 1 dimensional player. This is not James we are talking here!
I think Melo is worth Gallo and Chandler but not Fields and cap relief on top of it!!
That's probably why we are hearing rumors of Walsh asking about Danny Granger' most likely looking for an alternative to Melo if he ends up resigning with Denver or another team.
My ONLY concern with Walsh is that he waits to the very end and we end up NOT making any viable trades. I feel Granger is an excellent alternative ESPECIALLY since he plays DEFENSE! I actually prefer Granger on the Knicks but I understand the obsession with Melo.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but Bron just lit up Granger for 41 pts, 13 rbs and 8 assist. I'd rather have Melo because he could match Bron point for point...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but Bron just lit up Granger for 41 pts, 13 rbs and 8 assist. I'd rather have Melo because he could match Bron point for point...

I'm not aware of that many players that can control James when he is on; that is more of a team effort than an individual effort. I've heard so many coaches asked the very question of how to control James and they all have said, right down to the last man, you can't! What you need to do is stop the rest of the team and limit Jame's distribution of the ball; essentially make it your team vs. James.
Granger though has been able to control almost every other player he goes against. Listen, he's not Bruce Bowen but he is knows how to play D and does it naturally. He also know how to distribute the ball as well.
I'm not claiming Granger is a better player than Melo, I am saying he is a more rounded player who can score and would compliment Amare better than Melo... That's all... I want to save my cap for Dwight Howard and some better bench players to round out the roster..... Granger is NOT a max salary but is a tremendous player.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
i said it before and ill say it again. i think melo saying that he'll "strongly consider" the nuggets offer is to pressure the knicks to make a legit trade offer for him. he's had a 3 year 65 mil offer sitting on the table for him for damn near a YEAR and hasnt touched it. never seemed even remotely inclined to sign it. why would he suddenly do it now? he's frustrated and wants a deal to happen

and if they cant work out a deal with us, or anybody else and melo does sign the deal (most likely he'd sign it before the new CBA) then the nuggets would know he ONLY signed the deal so he can get the most possible money before the CBA..and NOT because he wants to play for denver. his heart isnt in denver anymore. and i think thats why we're calling the nuggets' bluff...i just hope we dont push it too far and ultimately end up not getting him...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
i said it before and ill say it again. i think melo saying that he'll "strongly consider" the nuggets offer is to pressure the knicks to make a legit trade offer for him. he's had a 3 year 65 mil offer sitting on the table for him for damn near a YEAR and hasnt touched it. never seemed even remotely inclined to sign it. why would he suddenly do it now? he's frustrated and wants a deal to happen

and if they cant work out a deal with us, or anybody else and melo does sign the deal (most likely he'd sign it before the new CBA) then the nuggets would know he ONLY signed the deal so he can get the most possible money before the CBA..and NOT because he wants to play for denver. his heart isnt in denver anymore. and i think thats why we're calling the nuggets' bluff...i just hope we dont push it too far and ultimately end up not getting him...

From what I understand, at 1 point Donnie offered all 3 players and Denver turned it down. Now, Donnie has tightened the offer. Listen, Donnie is a smart GM and will make what he feels is the best deal possible for NY. If that means trading all 3 guys for Melo or sticking to his guns with only 2 or even just 1; he knows what he he's doing!

Hayato

Benchwarmer
From what I understand, at 1 point Donnie offered all 3 players and Denver turned it down. Now, Donnie has tightened the offer. Listen, Donnie is a smart GM and will make what he feels is the best deal possible for NY. If that means trading all 3 guys for Melo or sticking to his guns with only 2 or even just 1; he knows what he he's doing!
i never heard he offered all 3. how could the nuggets turn down chandler, gallo, fields, brewer, and a 1st round pick? are they trying to wait and hope that the new rules makes it so they get some compensation if they lose melo in FA?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
i never heard he offered all 3. how could the nuggets turn down chandler, gallo, fields, brewer, and a 1st round pick? are they trying to wait and hope that the new rules makes it so they get some compensation if they lose melo in FA?

No, this was before brewer was in the mix, a few months back. It was Curry, Chandler, Gallo and Fields... But as this dragged out the offer was reduced.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
melo isnt a need?

He's just not the only need. Having Gallo + Randolph + Fields + 1st round picks could get us more and we could build a contender, or have depth and still be a contender. Felton, Amare and Melo is not enough. We trade for Melo, we will never win a shampionship.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
He's just not the only need. Having Gallo + Randolph + Fields + 1st round picks could get us more and we could build a contender, or have depth and still be a contender. Felton, Amare and Melo is not enough. We trade for Melo, we will never win a shampionship.

not if we bench people at the right time and if we draft/pick up some good backups

Toons

is the Bo$$
how does that marriage work? one in nyc, one in denver.....
do whats best for ur family melo...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The thing with creating a superteam is that you have to find a coach and a bench that can support them. Miami did well in finding Carlos Arroyo and Joel Anthony, two players who aren't really that good but are adequate enough to supplant the Big 3, Joel Anthony with the defense and shotblocking, Carlos Arroyo with outside shooting.

We're going to have to do the same if we want to win.