Durant signs with the Warriors

tiger0330

Legend
Read GS was unhappy with Bogut even before they got KD and maybe it's just me but Durant+KT+Steph-Barnes is way better than Bogut+KT+Steph+Barnes. GS was great last year but I don't think there is a superlative to describe them next season if they can remain healthy.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
OKC went from THIS

CmiaI7mWIAApqrl.jpg

TO THIS

CmiaNFXWgAAf_m2.jpg

Broadway

All Star
I know... It was in jest. Plus, Durant won't get trashed if they lose...
NY media too much for Lebron & Durant, who are afraid of being perceived as being "losers"...

Say what you want about the man... But Melo welcomed that challenge... Ave the weight of expectations placed on him, under the media spotlight, and do it by himself... He's a delusional fool... But totally different than his peers

Melo came here for the money and to be loved...nothing more

Tkf

Benchwarmer
corny move, but I don't hate him for it.. Good for him tho. he wants a ring. All the lebron lovers who cosigned the miami colluison.. where here are the fruits of that mess...

Congrats warriors...

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Melo came here for the money and to be loved...nothing more

exactly, he is a loser.. he could have gone to a number of teams that were better than the knicks.. but this bum, just wants the most money he can get.. END OF STORY..

Durant to his credit is taking cut in pay, and banking that on a great bet to win in Golden state.. good for him... This is a basketball decision for him... carmelo makes money decisions, and NY has been the perfect sucker for him..

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I find it funny, Carmelo sits in NY and just tries to bank out every penny he can, winning? that comes second... or third it seems..

Durant takes a cut in pay and trust me that is a fact, he is losing money... And he is doing so to win, he has scoring titles, an MVP, he has been to the finals, pretty much has done it all!! so now as much as it may disgust some of us purist, he is making a basketball move.. He is not colluding with anyone, he didn't waste time visiting teams like the knicks and sixers that he had no plan on playing for... He wants a ring and he is going to a exciting team.. say what what you want, but lebron did it in the worst way and the league and jock sniffing lebron lovers cosigned it..

Now all we hear is whining about him going to join golden state.. be honest , if any of you in here had a son in the NBA in the same position you wouldn't be mad... This is not a money decision, where is the love for that? the anti- carmelo!!!

I find it funny, Carmelo sits in NY and just tries to bank out every penny he can, winning? that comes second... or third it seems..

Durant takes a cut in pay and trust me that is a fact, he is losing money... And he is doing so to win, he has scoring titles, an MVP, he has been to the finals, pretty much has done it all!! so now as much as it may disgust some of us purist, he is making a basketball move.. He is not colluding with anyone, he didn't waste time visiting teams like the knicks and sixers that he had no plan on playing for... He wants a ring and he is going to a exciting team.. say what what you want, but lebron did it in the worst way and the league and jock sniffing lebron lovers cosigned it..

Now all we hear is whining about him going to join golden state.. be honest , if any of you in here had a son in the NBA in the same position you wouldn't be mad... This is not a money decision, where is the love for that? the anti- carmelo!!!

I don't think it is true Durant is sacrificing much money in the long run. He's not signing a long term deal in GS. He will be a free agent again very soon and cash-in on an even higher salary cap at that time. He's also moving from the OKC market to California. His endorsements are ecstatic with this move.

Face facts, there are no selfless heroes in professional sports. The last one disappeared when Mariano Rivera retired.

Broadway

All Star
I don't think it is true Durant is sacrificing much money in the long run. He's not signing a long term deal in GS. He will be a free agent again very soon and cash-in on an even higher salary cap at that time. He's also moving from the OKC market to California. His endorsements are ecstatic with this move.

Face facts, there are no selfless heroes in professional sports. The last one disappeared when Mariano Rivera retired.

He's losing a ton of gauranteed money. He surrendered Bird's Rights....comes to about $80mil he's potentially surrendering assuming he re-ups with Warriors

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/...t-contract-salary-money-nba-free-agent-rumors

He may get some other endorsements there but he just signed a near $300mil deal with Nike while being in OKC. Times are different athletes are growing their brand in smaller markets largely due to social outreaches

He's losing a ton of gauranteed money. He surrendered Bird's Rights....comes to about $80mil he's potentially surrendering assuming he re-ups with Warriors

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/...t-contract-salary-money-nba-free-agent-rumors

He may get some other endorsements there but he just signed a near $300mil deal with Nike while being in OKC. Times are different athletes are growing their brand in smaller markets largely due to social outreaches

Unless I misunderstand the specifics, Durant only losses that large a sum if he resigns with the Warriors and they don't have the cap space. Trust me. No way he is resigning with GS if they don't make the cap space. He will go back to OKC or wherever else. I'll believe any of these guys are giving up 10 to 100s of millions when it actually happens.

Broadway

All Star
Unless I misunderstand the specifics, Durant only losses that large a sum if he resigns with the Warriors and they don't have the cap space. Trust me. No way he is resigning with GS if they don't make the cap space. He will go back to OKC or wherever else. I'll believe any of these guys are giving up 10 to 100s of millions when it actually happens.

The link came with a "chart showing" how much guaranteed money he's giving up using 5 scenarios. He's giving up a lot(financially) heading to GSW, but at the same time he's made a lot and will continue making a lot.

The link came with a "chart showing" how much guaranteed money he's giving up using 5 scenarios. He's giving up a lot(financially) heading to GSW, but at the same time he's made a lot and will continue making a lot.

Yeah, I looked at the chart and it seems to me he can still win out the same, more or less, financially in the end. I get the whole idea he is taking some degree of risk by changing teams, but much like Lebron, I think by continuing to sign less than max length contracts, they still minimize their overall losses.

When all is said and done, Melo will be the one who actually gave up the most money by signing a max length deal with us. Say what you want about him, his stats alone would have guaranteed he would be among the ranks of guys this offseason getting a mega contract if he had chosen to sign a 2-year deal with us like Durant and Lebron have done.

paris401

Starter
When all is said and done, Melo will be the one who actually gave up the most money by signing a max length deal with us. Say what you want about him, his stats alone would have guaranteed he would be among the ranks of guys this offseason getting a mega contract if he had chosen to sign a 2-year deal with us like Durant and Lebron have done.

I disagree... he took less $$$ to resign and bring another banner to msg...

paris401

Starter
ok... the weed has worn off and I'm back to reality... Me-Lo is a greedy fuk, who will never have a ring, unless he goes into the diamond district and has one made...

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, I looked at the chart and it seems to me he can still win out the same, more or less, financially in the end. I get the whole idea he is taking some degree of risk by changing teams, but much like Lebron, I think by continuing to sign less than max length contracts, they still minimize their overall losses.

Not in this case because after next season the cap won't take spikes as it has past 3yrs which is the trend we've seen.

Disagree with Melo because when he was free we saw only 1 team gave him a Max offer which was the Lakers which was $30mil less than what we could offer him. If you factor Chicago still different, they didn't offer him Max and wasn't willing to do vs what GSW did for Durant. They made a trade to give Durant his money, Chicago wasn't willing to do that for Melo at least not openly they weren't. Melo took the most money available, which was here. And no someone of his caliber could not play the Lebron/Durant/Wade game. He of all players understood where his money was at. Otherwise he could have went to Chicago for 2yrs if that was the case since we're the Bulls now anyway. Especially after the way the last 2yrs went. He can opt out after next yr and still get alot of money

Last edited:
Not in this case because after next season the cap won't take spikes as it has past 3yrs which is the trend we've seen.

Disagree with Melo because when he was free we saw only 1 team gave him a Max offer which was the Lakers which was $30mil less than what we could offer him. If you factor Chicago still different, they didn't offer him Max and wasn't willing to do vs what GSW did for Durant. They made a trade to give Durant his money, Chicago wasn't willing to do that for Melo at least not openly they weren't. Melo took the most money available, which was here. And no someone of his caliber could not play the Lebron/Durant/Wade game. He of all players understood where his money was at. Otherwise he could have went to Chicago for 2yrs if that was the case since we're the Bulls now anyway. Especially after the way the last 2yrs went. He can opt out after next yr and still get alot of money

Hmm, honestly not sure when all is said and done. In my mind, if Melo went shorter term with us and was a free agent for this offseason, he would have gotten a deal like Horford got (4 years for 113 million) from someone. That way, he would be making more money this coming season, but that math gets too complicated for me for what's the biggest number in the long run if we still think he can get a big deal opting out after next year.

I sure as hell hope we are done signing Melo to max long term deals after the current one expires.

mafra

Legend
Cap will skyrocket another 15M next year... Durant will sign a 180M deal... If he doesn't and takes 80M... Then y'all are right. Only reason he took less was so he can be a free agent again next year.

Melo's flaw was not waiting until free agency... His flaw wasn't about the money... None of these athletes in their prime take less money. Still, Melo wasn't a wussy... He didn't feel he needed to team wth 2-3 starts in order to get his ring.

mafra

Legend

Cap projected to go up to 107-110 next year... Ergo, a max next year worth many millions more. Around 30 mil per year.