Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Cleveland Cavaliers 7:30 11/13/2017 [Game #13]

mafra

Legend
We allowed 43 points.... 8 threes.... 7 offensive rebounds in the 4th.

This, by definition, is what the dictionary calls a CHOKE JOB.

KP and THJr didn't move the ball and forced ugly shots. Lee was horrific trying to defend Korver. LT allows CLE to own offensive glass.

mafra

Legend
I saw the MIA/DET game and the Heat did the same thing. First half the ball was being whipped around the court getting the Heat wide open looks at 3s, second half they went mostly iso and lost a big lead and the game.

It's the worst thing.... as the defense builds momentum and you play into their teeth by holding the ball.... I mean, KP trying to take Lebron 1 on 1 like he's Steph Curry. Not smart.

The 3 missed FTs handed CLe the game.... just an awful game from KP.

I was shocked we were up bc I didn't think we could beat a playoff team on a night KP was average. Well, the final
Score vindicated this belief.

Tonight, along with the BOS and hOU and OKC and DET game, just reminds us all what the focus is: losING!!!!

Going 40-42 and losing in the first round is how you derail this rebuild. We must hope, pray, beg for a 22-60 type season.

mafra

Legend
Knicks bench was 5-15.... not 1 three made.

Jack was a complete non-factor on offense. He just can't pass the ball off pick and roll and fee
Big in the lane. That was costly. And lee did nothing in second half.

What was almost a complete team win was a complete team collapse.

Given the intensity of the moment.... how this team wanted to stick it to LJ.... how tempers flared.... it was really disappointing to watch the kids melt down the stretch to the old farts. Granted, Korver hit a 3 bc of the luckiest of all bounces and refs basically allowed LJ to take 16 steps (which led to another 3).... those 2 3s and KP's missed FTs is a 9-point by swing.

But.... anyway.... this was a soul-crushing loss for this group.

Broadway

All Star
It's the worst thing.... as the defense builds momentum and you play into their teeth by holding the ball.... I mean, KP trying to take Lebron 1 on 1 like he's Steph Curry. Not smart.

The 3 missed FTs handed CLe the game.... just an awful game from KP.

I was shocked we were up bc I didn't think we could beat a playoff team on a night KP was average. Well, the final
Score vindicated this belief.

Tonight, along with the BOS and hOU and OKC and DET game, just reminds us all what the focus is: losING!!!!

Going 40-42 and losing in the first round is how you derail this rebuild. We must hope, pray, beg for a 22-60 type season.

We won't be that bad unless someone goes down for a while. The league may be more paired so another 30 win team might not be terribly bad. These games against the better teams underscores how bad we need that 1 last special talent. Asking for 1 more isn't much

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Jack was a complete non-factor on offense. He just can't pass the ball off pick and roll and fee

Given the intensity of the moment.... how this team wanted to stick it to LJ.... how tempers flared.... it was really disappointing to watch the kids melt down the stretch to the old farts. Granted, Korver hit a 3 bc of the luckiest of all bounces and refs basically allowed LJ to take 16 steps (which led to another 3).... those 2 3s and KP's missed FTs is a 9-point by swing.

You don't know if it's "soul-crushing". Let's see how this team is the next game. Even those huge wins against the Pacers and Hornets it took a LOT for them to win it. It's still very early in the season.

Kiyaman

Legend
We should have won this game by double digits ..
Turning point was when horny pulled frank for jack in the 4th, man jack and thjr played awful defense all they had to do was guard the three point line and stop the one dementional Korver . I was screaming for frank to come back in, frank stays in this game stays a double digit win . Frank is getting hard to take off the court. Franks drive where wade fouled him no call for a breakaway score was BS. We shouldn?t hang our heads the Cavs got lucky .. we were the superior team tonight they just got lucky

mafra

Legend
You don't know if it's "soul-crushing". Let's see how this team is the next game. Even those huge wins against the Pacers and Hornets it took a LOT for them to win it. It's still very early in the season.

Much like that loss in pHI last year, when this team was blowing games left and right down the stretch.... this loss has that feel.

Won't break their spirit but now enough doubt will creep in.... this team knows they are nothing more than a gritty bunch, who at best might squeak by at .500.

That, to me, isn't good enough tho.

I would prefer we lose 60
Games instead of 40.

knicksin60

Starter
It's games like these why I don't get excited too quickly over the Knicks.

In order for me to be convinced that this team is for real they have to A)Play above .500 basketball for a full season B) Beat elite teams on a consistent basis and C) Win a playoff series

Yes, they have had a winning record so far but so did the Knicks of the previous two seasons. Getting schooled in the 4th quarter by a team that has looked like they have been on life support so far is unacceptable. From allowing Grandpa Korver to play like Reggie Miller in his prime to having Jarrett Crap on the floor for too long to KP missing important FT's down the stretch it looked like the Knicks purposely felt bad for the Cavs and gift wrapped this game to them.

It is going to take a lot of time for me to get over this loss. For a team like the Knicks who rarely have anything to play for throughout most of the year this was a playoff game for them. Games like these they are supposed to win. Only a team that isn't ready for prime time chokes away a 20 plus point lead in their own building late in the game. I'm sorry but these Knicks have a very long way to go before the media and people outside of NY can take them more serious.

Kiyaman

Legend

u forgot to put down KP consistent poor shooting tonite especially in the 4th qtr., when KP should have let his teammates be the scorers in this game. Jack kept giving the ball to KP .. and KP kept shooting .. and Lebron was beating KP up throughout the 2nd half of the game. Get it right!

mafra

Legend

In order for me to be convinced that this team is for real they have to A)Play above .500 basketball for a full season B) Beat elite teams on a consistent basis and C) Win a playoff series

Yes, they have had a winning record so far but so did the Knicks of the previous two seasons. Getting schooled in the 4th quarter by a team that has looked like they have been on life support so far is unacceptable. From allowing Grandpa Korver to play like Reggie Miller in his prime to having Jarrett Crap on the floor for too long to KP missing important FT's down the stretch it looked like the Knicks purposely felt bad for the Cavs and gift wrapped this game to them.

It is going to take a lot of time for me to get over this loss. For a team like the Knicks who rarely have anything to play for throughout most of the year this was a playoff game for them. Games like these they are supposed to win. Only a team that isn't ready for prime time chokes away a 20 plus point lead in their own building late in the game. I'm sorry but these Knicks have a very long way to go before the media and people outside of NY can take them more serious.

Amen! We were 14-10 last year.... remember folks? I think even 21-21 in jan.

This game reinforces the tank-it-baby mindset. This is what's best for our future. This team won't go 48-34.... so, why root for 41-41? Root for 27-55! Lottery baby.

Everything about that 4th quarter should cause all fans alarm.

CLe is awful. They won the game by basically going through the motions for 3 quarters, then Korver hits 5 threes and they upped the defensive pressure and we folded.

Timmy wouldnt pass, KP suddenly Couldn't score, Horn with zero coaching, LT and Lee awful
Defensively.

mafra

Legend

u forgot to put down KP consistent poor shooting tonite especially in the 4th qtr., when KP should have let his teammates be the scorers in this game. Jack kept giving the ball to KP .. and KP kept shooting .. and Lebron was beating KP up throughout the 2nd half of the game. Get it right!

Nobody could Score in the 4th bc there was no ball Movement. KP bricking 3/4 FTs is where is F-upped. He flat out choked.

knicksin60

Starter
CLe outscored Ny 43-23 in fourth but game was lost before that. CLE wanted nothing to do with playing hoops for three quarters.... NY couldn't take advantage and they allowed CLE to remain close.

If it is true that the Cleveland Cavaliers wait until they have their backs against the wall to play real basketball then the league should take action against them. It is no coincidence that they seem to play like trash throughout most of the year but miraculously turn it on when they are in the playoffs.

mafra

Legend
Well, it's tough to defend bc refs allow lJ to plow into the lane and take 4 steps as he jumps and dishes for a 3.

tiger0330

Legend
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 61

mafra

Legend
Horn had a real problem tonight and this loss on him. Where was mcDermott? Timmy, LT and Lee and Jack were nothing in the 4th and he stuck with them.

How about calling a TO and designing a play to get somebody an easy bucket?

We can only hope our Dept office is smart enough that when the time comes.... and this team is 23-24.... that we shut KP down and let him get the elbow surgery.

Was his elbow bothering him
When he choked those fts?

I'll go bananas if we end of 37-45 and then KP has surgery in June.

knicksin60

Starter
Amen! We were 14-10 last year.... remember folks? I think even 21-21 in jan.

This game reinforces the tank-it-baby mindset. This is what's best for our future. This team won't go 48-34.... so, why root for 41-41? Root for 27-55! Lottery baby.

Everything about that 4th quarter should cause all fans alarm.

CLe is awful. They won the game by basically going through the motions for 3 quarters, then Korver hits 5 threes and they upped the defensive pressure and we folded.

Timmy wouldnt pass, KP suddenly Couldn't score, Horn with zero coaching, LT and Lee awful
Defensively.

I agree! There is no point in trying to make the playoffs as a mediocre team that would most likely get swept in the first round by the Celtics. It's not like free agents are going to be lighting up Steve Mills' cell phone to play with a group of guys who squeaked into the playoffs in a crapshoot of a conference. Great players usually desire to play for elite teams, good players usually desire the most money and mediocre to bad players usually go to whoever shows interest in them. The Knicks are neither an elite team and would be very foolish to hand out a big contract to a player who will not get them pass the second round.

The only hope that we have is to continue getting into the lottery. I just have a bad feeling that we are going to miss the playoffs and settle with the 12th-14th pick. The last thing that we need is to continue drafting players like Iman Shumpert and THJR. I might be looking too far ahead of things but, do you really think that if we have a few more 28-35 win teams that KP is going to want to spend the rest of his career for an organization that has no sense of hope for the future? I highly doubt it.

mafra

Legend
NY on this long homestand.... they need to Bank as many wins as they can.... propel themselves to a 23-14 type of record.... then they could coast and find themselves as the 6th seed or something.

Blowing 20 point lead at home, to DET and CLE is a big blow to the cause. Look, DET and ClE might be 2 of the top 5 seeds in the EC. Losing to them isn't end of the world, but blowing leads at home is costly.

This team just won't beat the good teams on the road. Ergo, they have to take the winnable games at home vs good teams.

Anyway.... I'm cool with this loss, just like the DET loss.
Dominating for 3 quarters the. Throwing games away.... anything to secure me a top 5 worst record. Any means necessary.

A win today,
Propelling us for an 7-2 homestand or something....
Well, that would show me something....

I won't kill kP bc he's been great late in games this year. But.... is this a trend?

Anyway.... I hope Horn plays Jack a lot more in the 4th.
That might be how we take 10 wins and turn them into 10 Ls.

Kiyaman

Legend

Yeah .. this post goes straight to coach Hornacek for his inefficient no-defensive 4th quarter lineup, that consistently did the same offensive play of going to a poor shooting KP on every offensive possession over n over to lose a 15 pt lead.
Made me think we had no-defense Iso-Melo on the Knicks in the 4th quarter tonight.