2019 NBA Free Agency Thread

mafra

Legend
Exactly.

KP could finally stay healthy and make all of us feel sad...

He flashed ?special? talent that you just don?t see everyday, especially in players like DSJ and Randall.

Our mood would different today if we had KP and RJ to build around.

Then again, that would?ve probably required us extending KP... a risk... or playing a lame duck season with him.

Too late now so we move forward...

This team has potential... but enough of rooting for tomorrow. This team has to battle for an 8th seed or else we probably are back to square 1 in 2 years.

I feel like we built a team to keep us in the lottery for the next 2 seasons.

I?m excited for Summer League though.

Kawhi likely to Lakers.

Iguodala seems likely to get bought out by Memphis and maybe go to Lakers.

Lakers have offered vet minimum to Rondo.

Lakers have also targeted Seth Curry and Danny Green.

24 hours from now, we may be talking about how the Lakers have created an absolute monster of a team.

jimkcchief88

All Star
The three-year, $63 million deal Julius Randle agreed to with the New York Knicks contains a team option on the final year, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

That?s exactly how I feel. No star power. Julius Randle. Bobby Portis and Taj Gibson? Hmmm. What?s the over under for wins next year??? 25-30 wins??? Pathetic. I guess the Knicks didn?t get the memo that power forward is a dying position in the NBA because now we have a bunch. I was going to get league pass this year but nevermind. This team mirrors that old Isaiah Thomas coached team led by Jamal Crawford, Stevie Franchise, and Zac Randolph. Smh

mafra

Legend
Knicks sign Wayne Ellington (2/16).

And...

e dream Kyrie Irving had all along was to live in New York but he had reservations about the management of the New York Knicks, according to a source that spoke with Frank Isola of The Athletic.

Irving and Kevin Durant have agreed to join the Brooklyn Nets.

Multiple sources told Marcus Thompson of The Athletic that Durant and Irving had planned on being teammates for months. Durant wanted them to join the Knicks, while Irving preferred Brooklyn.

Knicks sign Wayne Ellington (2/16).

And...

e dream Kyrie Irving had all along was to live in New York but he had reservations about the management of the New York Knicks, according to a source that spoke with Frank Isola of The Athletic.

Irving and Kevin Durant have agreed to join the Brooklyn Nets.

Multiple sources told Marcus Thompson of The Athletic that Durant and Irving had planned on being teammates for months. Durant wanted them to join the Knicks, while Irving preferred Brooklyn.

Wayne Ellington is about as boring a signing as you can get, but he is a solid player. I think this is his 2nd stint with us.

Not going to win many people over by offering them less money when they have been the one advocating for you. Still, I?m glad the Nets did this and not us.

mafra

Legend
I agree. I?m more sad about KP today... after the Achilles snapped everything changed...

In a vacuum, by itself, grabbing Randle, Portis, Bullock, Taj and Ellington is a solid haul... probably best team we?ve had in years (I?m terms of hope for season and future).

Just disappointing bc nothing breaks right for NYK. But I believe we hit rock bottom with KP... and everything since then, albeit not sexy, has been the right move.

I believe we are the better team in NY next season, and that will start the negative media momentum that will swallow Kyrie and KD whole. I look forward to that.

Imagine if Kawhi signs with Lakers? Nobody wins a title next 3 years anyway... so why push all the marbles in on 2021-2022?

Knicks in a great spot to develop youth, accumulate assets, while maintaining flexibility in 2021. What?s not to like?

Broadway

All Star
So Perry does it again, bringing one of his guys in, in Payton who now becomes the new Mudiay

Good luck Elfrid this fan base is gonna hate you

lol @ that BUM Knits!

mafra

Legend
Woah... free agency bonanza...

By Knits!

Fun team for next 2 years... books clean for summer of 2021... hard to blast Perry, no?

mafra

Legend
Knicks signed:

Julius Randle
Taj Gibson
Bobby ?KO ?Portis
Reggie Bullock
Wayne Ellington
Elfred Payton

They maintain cap flexibility for summer of 2021...

Have young core of DSJ, RJ, Mitch, Knox, Dotson, and have Knitiklina as trade bait...

They also have 6 first round picks next 4 drafts.

Isn?t this the correct way to build a roster?

5 kids plus Knits
6 free agents
A few unknowns in Allen, Iggy, Wilks

This is your 2019-2020 team.

Compete boys!

Don?t screw around Fizdale with a multitude of rotations!

Broadway

All Star

I like our signings although the Payton signing signifies we may not trust DSJ and most certainly don't with Knits. Actually so do some of the other signings. Knox and Trier better feel like they're on notice

Broadway

All Star
lol Hezonja tried to follow Kanter to PDX and then look what happened

Boston didn't take too big of hits, they recovered relatively quickly. Probably a Top 4 team in East, might need to make 1 more move. Got Kanter real cheap.

This is probably what Boogie is looking at unless the Lakers and Clippers can save him

mafra

Legend
I think bulging disc issue in back has us concerned about DSJ.

Nobody has earned anything on this roster.

Kanter got less than Gibson. Lol.

Kanter is only worth 5 million per year for 2 years? He averaged a double double, more or less. Dude?s trolling may have caught up with him. His comments on why he didn?t resign with Portland are kind of hilarious.

mafra

Legend
I wonder what it says about our infrastructure if Jordan want more vocal trying to sway Kyrie to pick Knicks. If KD wanted MSG but Irving swayed KD to choose Brooklyn, what was DeAndre?s input here? Did it matter? Did he say we suck?

Anyway... I?m actually glad we don?t have to root for KD and KI... 2 dudes hard to root for.

Good news is this won?t end well regardless. If they win they?ll find out nobody cares about Nets... if they don?t win, media will eat them alive. Sit back and enjoy...

And, I?ll say this now, Knicks will be better than Nets this season.

mafra

Legend
Turns out Mills dealt KP bc KP didn?t want to meet with Mills... he only wanted to meet with Dolan.

SAS says LAC believe they?re getting Kawhi .

If what I?m reading is correct, all our free agent deals are team options in the last year. That means all those two year contracts (every contract except Randle) can come off the books next offseason by declining the team option. We can re-open almost all our cap space again in the 2020 offseason. We can get Randle off the books in 2021 offseason.

We have a roster that can be very fluid now. Easily tradeable contracts if something arises where we find a team that wants to move salary for the next 2 offseasons.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks signed:

Julius Randle
Taj Gibson
Bobby ?KO ?Portis
Reggie Bullock
Wayne Ellington
Elfred Payton

They maintain cap flexibility for summer of 2021...

Have young core of DSJ, RJ, Mitch, Knox, Dotson, and have Knitiklina as trade bait...

They also have 6 first round picks next 4 drafts.

Isn?t this the correct way to build a roster?

5 kids plus Knits
6 free agents
A few unknowns in Allen, Iggy, Wilks

This is your 2019-2020 team.

Compete boys!

Don?t screw around Fizdale with a multitude of rotations!
I think you said 35-40 win team. I agree, 8th seed playoff team at best, lottery team with the 8th worst record at the worst. Not one star in the whole bunch, or one stud athlete among the new guys. Fizdale predicted we were going to have an amazing season, he better get going because he's got his work cut out with this group.