Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Chicago Bulls 2/3/2021 8:00 pm [Game #23]

mafra

Legend
IQ/OBI = 13 points (22:48 minutes)
Bullock/Burks/Rivers = 17 points (64 minutes)

Look, we won because Randle was 5-7 from downtown and CHi shot 6-36 from downtown.

Knicks scored 16 fourth Q points!

But, a win is a win... a road win... a close win...

Knicks needed this to keep on the ?we are improving? track. They couldn?t lose both games in CHi.

So, regardless... they got the win and the future were the key part of this win.

Broadway

All Star
Okay looks like we?re the Orlando Magic of the past 3yrs

Thibs is stubborn as I figure him to be. Payton likely bought himself another 6gms to start...smh

He pulled the same BS in Orlando, I?m on a mission now to Game Log his career and compare, tired of his Lame glass 1/4 empty play

The numbers won?t work out the same because this isn?t an 82 game season, but if it was an 82 game season we?re literally on pace for a 35 - 47 season. That?s what I?d expect in a transition season from being a bottom feeder to a playoff team.

People won?t be happy with the day in and day out, but we are already better than we have been the last 6 seasons. This roster just needs further turnover.

Kiyaman

Legend
I like Quickley stlye .... The 10-13 Thibs-Knicks 107-103 win over the 8-12 Bulls .. was a decent win for the Knicks team, and for player Payton's 20 pt, 4 ast, 8 rb performance.
Now we need to take Rivers out of the rotation for Frank. And we need to cut down on Iso-Randle & Iso-Barrett's minute and leadership on the court for Knox some playing-time. I want Knox to receive more roles on offense plus learn all Randle's offensive moves inside/outside this season, because Knox is a part of our offensive future. I know Knox defense stinks, but so do Randle.

mafra

Legend
The numbers won?t work out the same because this isn?t an 82 game season, but if it was an 82 game season we?re literally on pace for a 35 - 47 season. That?s what I?d expect in a transition season from being a bottom feeder to a playoff team.

People won?t be happy with the day in and day out, but we are already better than we have been the last 6 seasons. This roster just needs further turnover.

Exactly. Clearly, Thibbs (and perhaps Rose) feel EP > DSJ, Frank. I suspect they?ll make a small deal, say for a JJ Redick type... then, with a vet sniper at SG, you can start IQ. EP won?t be getting serious minutes after trade deadline. Heck, maybe they even bring in a PG.

I feel they want IQ to focus on his role, a scoring spark plug after the bench. Just like his idol Lou Williams.

IQ, RJ, Randle, Mitch is the foundation. Add either Knox or Toppin (whoever survives this battle). That?s 5 guys for the future. Naturally, all 5 RW traceable for the right upgrades.

I wonder if Thibbs zeroes in on KAT after the season, ala how he brought Butler to MIN.
For example, if we have 2 top picks... Knox or Toppin, a first this year and in 2023, along with Randle?

Anyway... going from a 20 win team to a 35 is what Thibbs has done in his previous stops. It?s up to Rose to build the roster and ensure it is Thibbs-proof.

If Knicks go 31-41... Randle an all-star (trade asset), RJ makes sophomore leap, IQ immerses and Mitch is more consistent... get 2 top 20 draft picks... with our cap space... well, I think this team in a much better place this July than any July since they dealt Ewing!

mafra

Legend
TKB

But head coach Tom Thibodeau was a bit more loquacious after the game, praising Payton?s play and the professional way that he?s gone about his business.

?I think Elfrid?s a pro. I think he has a lot of pride in his game. More importantly, I think he has a lot of pride in the team. And I think the winning component is very important to him,? Thibodeau said. ?So, whatever we ask him to do, he does very unselfishly. He?s always sacrificing for the team. It?s recognized by everyone.

?And again, we have a 10-man rotation, but everyone?s role is important. The work part is equal. Everyone?s role is different. Some guys play more than others. Some guys are just there to be ready when the opportunity comes. And it will come. That?s sort of the nature of this league. And when that opportunity comes, be ready to go in and help the team. So, everyone has to sacrifice for the greater good of the team. So, it might be shots, it might be minutes, it might be starting, it might be coming off the bench. Might not be in the rotation initially. But you need everyone over the course of the season. And everyone?s role is important for the success of the team.?

mafra

Legend
As written here previously, Randle should be considered under a new lens ? not as trade bait, but as an emerging star to be embraced. He set the tone Wednesday as captains do.

Team leader Julius Randle sensed it. The Knicks needed Wednesday?s rematch in Chicago. They needed it badly.

The Knicks were at a crossroads, having lost five of six games after dropping a bad one to the Bulls on Monday at United Center. They had fallen to 11th in the Eastern Conference, four games under .500.

?Sort of like a playoff game, you?re playing the same team in such a short time,??? Randle said beforehand.

?We?ve got to make our adjustments. The biggest thing is we?ve just got to have more of a sense of urgency to start the game ? look at it as a must-win. We can?t lose two in a row on this trip.??

Randle made sure of it.

Randle?s 3-point shooting has been otherworldly this season. He posted a frigid 27.7 rate from downtown in 2019-20. He?s shooting 38 percent from 3 now.

?Honestly, it just wasn?t a great season shooting the ball from 3 last year,?? Randle said. ?It?s something I got in the lab and tightened things up. Repetitions and confidence, man. My mental approach is completely different. I have unlimited confidence in it.??

?That?s what we expect from him ? a veteran leader, play strong on both sides of the ball, share the ball, make the right plays and set an example for everyone,?? Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said. ?He gives the team the belief we can win. You get that by making hustle plays. The more hustle plays, the more it ignites and inspires the team. That?s what we expect from him.??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/02/04/knicks-julius-randle-is-finally-a-winner/amp/

Broadway

All Star
TKB

But head coach Tom Thibodeau was a bit more loquacious after the game, praising Payton?s play and the professional way that he?s gone about his business.

?I think Elfrid?s a pro. I think he has a lot of pride in his game. More importantly, I think he has a lot of pride in the team. And I think the winning component is very important to him,? Thibodeau said. ?So, whatever we ask him to do, he does very unselfishly. He?s always sacrificing for the team. It?s recognized by everyone.

?And again, we have a 10-man rotation, but everyone?s role is important. The work part is equal. Everyone?s role is different. Some guys play more than others. Some guys are just there to be ready when the opportunity comes. And it will come. That?s sort of the nature of this league. And when that opportunity comes, be ready to go in and help the team. So, everyone has to sacrifice for the greater good of the team. So, it might be shots, it might be minutes, it might be starting, it might be coming off the bench. Might not be in the rotation initially. But you need everyone over the course of the season. And everyone?s role is important for the success of the team.?

I?m not buying anything Thibs is selling in those political statements until he proves otherwise.

Reads like a love letter to EP

So a starter even if he?s been up and down his entire 10yr career including 25gms into this season should be appreciated for sacrifices made although job really doesn?t appear to be in jeopardy but if certain role players miss some shots a few gms in a row in a very young career they have to work their way back into gaining favor after benching and/or DNPs...oh and must be ready to contribute immediately with no rhythm

GOTCHA THIBS(sarcastic wink)

mafra

Legend
And how did EP help the team get the win? CHI shot 6-36 from downtown... White played no defense on EP

Kiyaman

Legend
And how did EP help the team get the win? CHI shot 6-36 from downtown... White played no defense on EP

Coach Thibs need to read this slowly till he comprehend ....
Payton & Barrett receiving more than 24 minute of playing time in a game has been one of the Knicks biggest problems winning games the past two season. They both are not finishers in a 4th quarter crunch-time game for a win. If they do not have a good shooting night they are worthless to the team, because they dont add anything else on offense/defense for a Knicks WIN !!!

P.S. Take Frank out of the Dog-House, and let Frank & Quickley set up the 2nd unit players to perform winning team-ball on both sides of the court.
I believe we would see better Knicks winning B.ball from a 2nd unit Quickley, Frank, Knox, Obi, and starting center MitchRob, than any other lineup Thibs could master mind.

Kiyaman

Legend
Exactly. Clearly, Thibbs (and perhaps Rose) feel EP > DSJ, Frank. I suspect they’ll make a small deal, say for a JJ Redick type... then, with a vet sniper at SG, you can start IQ. EP won’t be getting serious minutes after trade deadline. Heck, maybe they even bring in a PG.

I feel they want IQ to focus on his role, a scoring spark plug after the bench. Just like his idol Lou Williams.

IQ, RJ, Randle, Mitch is the foundation. Add either Knox or Toppin (whoever survives this battle). That’s 5 guys for the future. Naturally, all 5 RW traceable for the right upgrades.

I wonder if Thibbs zeroes in on KAT after the season, ala how he brought Butler to MIN.
For example, if we have 2 top picks... Knox or Toppin, a first this year and in 2023, along with Randle?

Anyway... going from a 20 win team to a 35 is what Thibbs has done in his previous stops. It’s up to Rose to build the roster and ensure it is Thibbs-proof.

If Knicks go 31-41... Randle an all-star (trade asset), RJ makes sophomore leap, IQ immerses and Mitch is more consistent... get 2 top 20 draft picks... with our cap space... well, I think this team in a much better place this July than any July since they dealt Ewing!

The reason Thibs has a 15th man Bullock in the starter lineup are for Bullock's hustle-defensive skills to help center MitchRob on the defensive-end of the court. Payton, Barrett, and Randle has been performing the worst type of trio defense in the league. Why not put Burk in the starting lineup instead of Bullock? Burk's a good perimeter shooter that has poor defensive skills.
So adding a JJ Reddick to the Payton, Barrett, and Randle lineup will still have opponents outscoring our weak defensive starter lineup with ease.
Yes! I hope Randle make the all-star team to become good trading bait to get players like KAT.
It's just the Knicks main office still don't know how to trade players. Example .. In the Morris trade Maurice Harkless were the best player to keep. In the KP trade DeAndre Jordan were the best player to keep.
Dolan Mills Perry and now Leon are fools searching for individual-offensive ISO players, that doesn't Gel well with teammates on either side of the court. And these fools in the Knicks main office make these non-defensive players the captain and leader of the Knicks team giving them the green-light to be the first option on offense .. Marbury, Melo, and now Randle. FOOLISH!
In my 50 yrs of watching the Knicks all the Knicks best winning teams were DEFENSIVE teams !!!