Official Trade Rumors Thread

Over under on them winning 10 more games this season? :machinegun:

Fun fact, we are currently in a 5 way tie for the 5th most losses in the NBA. After what it has done to its fans once again this season, if this team comes even close to winning 10 games the rest of this season, I will be livid. Tonight is the 1st big test of the tank against Philly. No excuses to win this one tonight.

Man, do I hate this franchise at the moment. We are the Cleveland Browns of basketball

tiger0330

Legend
Do Work Phil!

Ah Oh, this might be addition by subtraction. Now Horn can't start Noah, I think WHG starting and getting more minutes makes it harder for the Knicks to tank. If Randle can be a 3 pt sniper replacing Jennings the Knicks can win a few more games as well.

Broadway

All Star
Ah Oh, this might be addition by subtraction. Now Horn can't start Noah, I think WHG starting and getting more minutes makes it harder for the Knicks to tank. If Randle can be a 3 pt sniper replacing Jennings the Knicks can win a few more games as well.

Chase is activated for tonight's game..there's 23gms left including tonight and this team won't meet my lofty expectations of a 36-46 2016-2017 season. We might win 10 more gms at best, left with a crappy draft position

and1

Rotation player
i still think it's funny that they waived jennings just a couple of days after the trade deadline, only so he could sign with a team that was in the conversation regarding a trade for him.
phil is pretty awful at this. let's hope he makes some smart draft picks this summer.

Broadway

All Star
Pacers are in deep trouble most likely...

PG13 probably gon be signed to Big Baller Brand playing in L.A.

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
Most recent names tied to Knicks via Free Agency Trade in rumors

i kinda like tucker, holiday and simmons. i'd have to see what they want in return in terms of a trade situation.
i thought holiday was a UFA this summer, no?

and1

Rotation player
hell, i might even add teague to that list. 15.3 ppg, 7.8 apg, 4 rpg... that's not a bad stat line for a PG lol. he's unrestricted as well, which obviously means no need for a trade. we might be able to get him for 8-10 mil a year too. i'd consider it.

and1

Rotation player
man, if melo waives the NTC and we trade him for draft picks... there's a chance we can get both holiday and teague. 2 legit PGs - holiday starts, teague is his backup - and we are INSTANTLY in contention for playoffs in the East. we could even give teague a nice amount of minutes per game to try and increase holiday's chances for durability down the stretch of the season. man, i might start believing again if we can pull off something like that.

Kiyaman

Legend
hell, i might even add teague to that list. 15.3 ppg, 7.8 apg, 4 rpg... that's not a bad stat line for a PG lol. he's unrestricted as well, which obviously means no need for a trade. we might be able to get him for 8-10 mil a year too. i'd consider it.

Teague slacked off on defense the last 2 seasons with the Hawks, plus Teague n Ellis poor defense last season force the Pacers to sign Lance Stephenson.
To me Teague worth went down to a 2 yr contract at $13M to $15M .. Plus we would have to also sign a good 2 way PG like FA Shaun Livingston to a 4 yr contract for $50M as our starter.

Kiyaman

Legend
man, if melo waives the NTC and we trade him for draft picks... there's a chance we can get both holiday and teague. 2 legit PGs - holiday starts, teague is his backup - and we are INSTANTLY in contention for playoffs in the East. we could even give teague a nice amount of minutes per game to try and increase holiday's chances for durability down the stretch of the season. man, i might start believing again if we can pull off something like that.

If Melo waives the NTC .... IF Melo waives the NTC .. If - If - If

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Aside from Rose because I'm a fan of him, I want to the team just give the younger players minutes. I don't know how contracts work and all that, but even 13-15 million a year in any cap seems like too much unless the player is someone who can get your team to the next level and is a great teammate. I'll still be rooting for the team to win a championship, but I want a team that's gonna be contenders for a long time. If they're gonna spend money, spend it on Rubio who can lead a team with his passing, plays defense, and shot a lot better after the All-Star break, and is only 26. Let's get young team players. I've had enough of big contract players who don't elevate your team much, if at all, and aren't young enough. Veterans can be great, but it depends on factors such as age, salary, and team play. Noah would be great if it wasn't for his health. Melo wouldn't be bad if he played team ball consistently. He'd be great if he played team ball, which he can do well, leading the good young players we have, but we've seen too many seasons which he hasn't done this.

Aside from Rose because I'm a fan of him, I want to the team just give the younger players minutes. I don't know how contracts work and all that, but even 13-15 million a year in any cap seems like too much unless the player is someone who can get your team to the next level and is a great teammate. I'll still be rooting for the team to win a championship, but I want a team that's gonna be contenders for a long time. If they're gonna spend money, spend it on Rubio who can lead a team with his passing, plays defense, and shot a lot better after the All-Star break, and is only 26. Let's get young team players. I've had enough of big contract players who don't elevate your team much, if at all, and aren't young enough. Veterans can be great, but it depends on factors such as age, salary, and team play. Noah would be great if it wasn't for his health. Melo wouldn't be bad if he played team ball consistently. He'd be great if he played team ball, which he can do well, leading the good young players we have, but we've seen too many seasons which he hasn't done this.

Totally agree with turning this team over to a focus on younger players. Barring any draft pick trade, we're coming into this season with 21-year-old KP, 23-year-old WHG, and a 1st round draft pick who will likely be either 19 or 20-years-old. Ignoring all other factors, Melo and Noah's ages at 33 and 32 are an issue when your franchise clearly needs to rebuild. Rose is only 28, but his knees are at least 38 at this point.

As you said, Rubio is only 26, but trading for him worries me. He statistically had a good post-trade deadline stretch last season, but did it on a team that was losing games like crazy.

In the end, I don't want Rose back, but if he did come back, it would only cost us cap space. Who knows what getting Rubio will cost us? He's definitely not worth a future 1st round pick.

mafra

Legend
I got no problem trading for Rubio, b/c his style would fit with our younger players. I mean, if it just costs us Lee and/or Rose.... why not?

The alternative, is to simply take our lumps and hope we find a gem this draft and then next year in the lottery we find another gem.

KP, WHG, 8th pick this year, and lottery pick Next year would be the foundation of our rebuilding.

A trade for Rubio, while a good risk, might mean 5-10 more wins and that costs us ping pong balls.

Still, I would do it b/c with KP, WHG, and the 8th pick.... that should be good enough to move this thing along. Then, its up to our scouts to find a second round gen this year and to get a solid player next year (drafting in the end of lottery to mid teens).

mafra

Legend
Keith Schlosser, SNY.TV Twitter | Archive

The Blazers are in a delicate situation, but it's one that could benefit the Knicks. They previously spent big to retain much of its promising youth. Unfortunately, not every rewarded player has been able to tap into the potential Portland invested in. They aren't close to becoming a perennial championship contender, so it's time to reconsider the team's core group as they look to build upon the more positive pieces.

The play of Moe Harkless and Meyers Leonard, among others, hasn't justified the means for paying them big bucks. The Blazers don't have as much flexibility to pay prospects and roster spots are certainly scarce with so many expensive veterans already on the roster.

Luckily for Portland, their plethora of draft picks could be used as incentives for prospective trade partners to take back the bigger contracts. The Knicks will have cap space this summer and aren't exactly in line to target a marquee quality player. They're desperate to get younger, so perhaps the room they have would be better-suited to help them reel in a promising asset.

Harkless is a decent enough shooter and happens to be a local New York guy, so fans would likely be drawn to him. He's simply just a role player and not much more, however. If the Knicks were going to take a hit or make an investment, Evan Turner should top their list given the Blazers' options.

The swingman's ability to meet expectations has wavered in recent years, especially considering the big contract he signed. Earnings aside, Turner would still be a very good fit for the Knicks. He's one of the most underrated passers in the league, with excellent vision for a player at his position. Serving as a point-forward of sorts (something that was highly utilized in Phil Jackson's triangle offense as a coach), the 28 year old could really help New York space the floor by finding teammates in unique places. With defense a priority this offseason, Turner would also provide a boost there.

Portland isn't the only trade partner the Knicks should consider leading up to the draft. As Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders alludes to, a Courtney Lee for the 12th overall pick would make sense for both teams. Detroit President and head coach Stan Van Gundy holds Lee in high regard and has had a knack for targeting and/or trading for his former players.

Lee had a very solid first year in New York. He showed prowess on both ends of the floor and demonstrated great leadership skills as the season came to a close. Lee would boast value as a good role model for even a transitioning team like the Knicks.

For all the same reasons, however, he'd still be a key piece for a team hoping to compete. If parting with him (and subsequently making a deal with Portland) allows New York to come away with three total first round picks, they should actively be pursuing such possibilities. An incoming player like Harkless or Turner could additionally fill the void Lee's departure would create.