Hire Tom Thibodeau

tiger0330

Legend
Tommy Dee, at theknicksblog.com, wrote:

Tommy Dee | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

The Lakers sent shockwaves throughout the NBA last night, hiring Golden State Warriors assistant coach Luke Walton as their head coach. The move, I'm told, clears the way for the Knicks to hire David Blatt, whose meeting with Phil Jackson and Steve Mills on Monday significantly impressed the Knicks president.

"Phil absolutely loved Blatt's intelligence," a source with knowledge of the conversation said. "Can't stop talking about it. He's singing Blatt's praises to everyone. Phil's a tough grader when it comes to intelligence. It takes a lot to impress him."

The overriding narrative is that Kurt Rambis is the heavy favorite to have the interim tag removed from the title, but I haven't been getting that sense. Rambis, who Jackson is very close with, is involved in the process, but I'm told that the overwhelming majority of the players didn't sing Rambis' praises in their exit interviews.

Rambis is extremely intelligent and would serve a significant role either as an assistant or in the front office. He was an exceptional coordinator for Phil with the Lakers, in a similar manner that Tex Winter was for Jackson's championship teams in Chicago. That role seems to fit Rambis best, and would allow him to continue to share Jackson's vision and trust.

Blatt seems to have entered into Jackson's trust circle following their meeting, which is a major sign that Phil is really giving a lot of thought to hiring him. Blatt refused to discuss any coaching situations, including Los Angeles, when he came on as a guest on a local Atlanta radio station earlier this week.

Blatt could fill the vacancy on Steve Kerr's bench that Walton left in Golden State. Blatt was a serious candidate for that role in 2014 before taking the Cavaliers position. He's also rumored to be considering going back overseas, according to international reporter David Pick.

Again, based on everything I'm hearing, Blatt has really made a great impression on Jackson. Bringing Blatt on board would be a smooth transition based on his relationship with former Princeton teammate and current executive vice president and general manager Steve Mills. The Walton hiring takes Blatt out of consideration for one of the jobs he was mentioned as a candidate for. His meeting with the Knicks Monday inches him one step closer to filling a vacancy here.
Phil would be an idiot to hire Rambis if that's true about the players exit interviews and their opinion about Rambis. Blatt has won a ton or coach of the year awards overseas and came up a little short in the NBA finals with key injuries to Love and Irving, Rambis just doesn't have the cred as a coach that Blatt has. Slap in the face to public opinion and common sense if Phil goes with Rambis over Blatt.

Broadway

All Star
I think it will be Blatt with Rambis as his lead asst. Rambis is really unpopular and his HC record would be a hard sell to the fan base and media. With Blatt, Phil can say he led a team to the NBA finals. Whatever he does there's no reason to wait, Luke is gone, interview other guys or hire Blatt or Rambis.

Another interview for Blatt...Today

tiger0330

Legend

Broadway

All Star
Patrick is going to need some luck on his interview and even more luck if he lands the job. That job is probably the worst HC job in the league right now, kiss of death job for a rookie head coach like Patrick imo.

They'll be looking to trade Cousins this summer and with the move to a new arena in 3yrs it could be a great destination. Gotta really see long-term if seeking employment there and not the here and now. I'd tell em straight up I'm not taking the job unless Cousins is moved.

paris401

Starter
They'll be looking to trade Cousins this summer and with the move to a new arena in 3yrs it could be a great destination. Gotta really see long-term if seeking employment there and not the here and now. I'd tell em straight up I'm not taking the job unless Cousins is moved.

i agree he has to be moved... but what will u get for him??... no doubt he is a head case, but he is a talent without question... I don't know how much value u get in return.. but wouldn't u like to be the coach who got thru to this knucklehead... you can def build a team around this guy..

Broadway

All Star
i agree he has to be moved... but what will u get for him??... no doubt he is a head case, but he is a talent without question... I don't know how much value u get in return.. but wouldn't u like to be the coach who got thru to this knucklehead... you can def build a team around this guy..

I don't want to be the coach trying to reach him resulting in another one of his coaching victims. He can go coach kill someone else. Cousins has been in the league 6yrs already he's 26yrs old and the whole time that's exactly what Sacramento has attempted(building around him). They've never made the playoffs and never have had a winning record with him. There's enough history and data there to reason this can't be done. He needs to be on a team with proven success and/or a culture that commands he falls in line with what they are doing, regardless of his talent. You probably can get 2 1st round picks(a couple picks(1st, 2nd) in combination) and 2 players for him. I'm looking to deal him to the Celtics or Wolves.

I want Smart/Johnson and picks(2 1st) from Celtics

I want Lavine/Deing/Pekovic and picks(1st and 2nd) from Wolves

I'd give them Cousins/McLemore/Koufos.

I think Garnett's professional tutelage(work ethic towards game), Towns stardome(it would be his team), add in a screaming hard nose battle tested Tom Thibideau it would do Cousins some good humbling of epic proportions. Of course Brad Stevens is proven in Boston he knows what he's doing and an instant culture changer, he'd fall in line there.

Maybe a couple other teams like the Nuggets and Philly would be options, although I'd rather he not be in play with those two franchises. They have assets to get a deal done, yet they are 2 very undefined teams though. He could very well derail or stunt the growth there.

paris401

Starter
I don't want to be the coach trying to reach him resulting in another one of his coaching victims. He can go coach kill someone else. .

sure you do... whomever they hire will get at least a 3year 10m contract... 3+m a year for 3years ..I'd sign it in a heartbeat, n I bet so would you...

now if u r a pro coach... that's another story...

tiger0330

Legend
I don't want to be the coach trying to reach him resulting in another one of his coaching victims. He can go coach kill someone else. Cousins has been in the league 6yrs already he's 26yrs old and the whole time that's exactly what Sacramento has attempted(building around him). They've never made the playoffs and never have had a winning record with him. There's enough history and data there to reason this can't be done. He needs to be on a team with proven success and/or a culture that commands he falls in line with what they are doing, regardless of his talent. You probably can get 2 1st round picks(a couple picks(1st, 2nd) in combination) and 2 players for him. I'm looking to deal him to the Celtics or Wolves.

I want Smart/Johnson and picks(2 1st) from Celtics

I want Lavine/Deing/Pekovic and picks(1st and 2nd) from Wolves

I'd give them Cousins/McLemore/Koufos.

I think Garnett's professional tutelage(work ethic towards game), Towns stardome(it would be his team), add in a screaming hard nose battle tested Tom Thibideau it would do Cousins some good humbling of epic proportions. Of course Brad Stevens is proven in Boston he knows what he's doing and an instant culture changer, he'd fall in line there.

Maybe a couple other teams like the Nuggets and Philly would be options, although I'd rather he not be in play with those two franchises. They have assets to get a deal done, yet they are 2 very undefined teams though. He could very well derail or stunt the growth there.
I thought the Celts would be a great trading partner for Boogie but Cedric Maxwell said no way in hell would he trade for Cousins. Not that Maxwell has any input whether Ainge trades for him or not but that's the rep Boogie has around the league, talented but moody and temperamental. Probably a guy that could sway the Celts is Isaiah Thomas his former teammate, if he said Boogie could really help this team then I could see where he might go to Boston.

You have to be kidding about Thibs and Boogie, that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Broadway

All Star
I disagree

Thibs was one of the main guys co-signing for Melo(recruiting him to the Bulls) a player who on the surface does not fit his profile as a coach. Malone aslo did well with Cousins and he and Thibs remind of each other a little. Cousins needs tough love coaching kind of how Thibs reached Noah(another hot head).

I've also read reports Ainge is very much interested in dealing for him still, if he's truly available. From what I heard Cousins didn't like Thomas when in Sacramento but that could have been misleading rumorville....because who really likes him and vice versa? Ainge drafted Marcus Smart who came into the league with temper red flags and trade for Thomas(who had a rep for going off script). Ainge is a gambler he'll pull the trigger with ease if he can get them to dance with him.

I was just pointing out teams that probably have what Sacramento is looking for more so than anything.

tiger0330

Legend
I wonder when PJ hires Rambis what Melo is going to say about that exhaustive search he wanted PJ to make to find a new head coach.

Kiyaman

Legend

If the Kings wanted to make the playoff while improving Cousins performance all the Kings had to do were to sign FA PF-David West veteran experience to lead the Kings young frontcourt players. Plus sign FA Rajon Rondo veteran experience to lead the point.
I would have FIRED coach Karl also for not persisting management in the offseason to sign a playoff experience veteran PF to tutor the young Cousins throughout a season. u Cousins been on the Kings for 6 years without any seasonal direction from a experience center or PF.

Our President PJ has become the biggest JOKE on the Knicks, we gave PJ a 37 win season team that PJ turn into a 17 win season team then producing a 32 win season team the next season.
When PJ did not hire Mark Jackson or Thibs for the head coach job the same week our season ended shows president PJ is offering no winnin optimism for next season.

Why Larry Bird fired coach Vogel is a mystery, other than the Pacers being the better team over the Toronto Raptors.
Yes, I would hire Vogel over the assisitant-coaches Blatt Luke Rambis in a heart beat.
I like the way Vogel coached rookie Miles Turner by bringing out Turners best talents to win games.
Rambis cant touch Vogel creative style of coaching with a hundred foot pole

Broadway

All Star
If the Kings wanted to make the playoff while improving Cousins performance all the Kings had to do were to sign FA PF-David West veteran experience to lead the Kings young frontcourt players. Plus sign FA Rajon Rondo veteran experience to lead the point.

They signed Rondo and he played fairly well but the Kings didn't make the playoffs...and not because they didn't get a player like West. They have missed the playoffs every yr common denominator is Cousins....no one else. Your best player should BE THE LEADER actually, especially after his 3rd season or thereabouts. Also West took a paycut do go win a chip not to just make the playoffs...no way he ends in Sacramento even if Cousins had his act together.

Broadway

All Star
Because Phil Jackson is doing his Davy Crockett adventures down the Lewis Clark & Colorado Rivers while also traversing the Rocky Mountain range....

Steve mills has decided to take on Phil's $12mil/yr responsibilities to contact Frank Vogel's reps

paris401

Starter
If the Kings wanted to make the playoff while improving Cousins performance all the Kings had to do were to sign FA PF-David West veteran experience to lead the Kings young frontcourt players.

what am i missing??? west had a players option for $12m (give or take) and he left indy for the spurs who are payin him 1.5m... why did he do that??? i presume he wants a ring and is willing to give up 10m for the chance.

so if his motive is a ring, how would the kings who havent won 'dick' in years be able to sign him...