Hire Tom Thibodeau

tiger0330

Legend
Who is left? David Blatt and Luke. Reports are Luke is going to interview with Sactown so he may be ruling out NY because of the California connection and wouldn't move to NY for all the money in the world.

Not real high on Blatt after Cleveland, he seems desperate for another NBA opportunity living with a friend in ATL instead of with his family in Israel. Seems like a vulture circling the landscape waiting for one of those NBA job openings to fall his way. People say he got shafted but I disagree, he didn't show real leadership with the Cavs and Griffin fired him despite the record.

Broadway

All Star
Remember mafra we had a conversation about culpability and I told you we can't always look to blame Dolan for everything as if he's still meddling to no end...

WELP read and weep

Ha ha ha Phil Jackson is garbage not just because of how the coaching hire process is going, he just simply is. So Dolan had interest but Phil had none at all. I never liked Phil since his first moves...Brown over Clark and Lamar Odom. I knew we were doomed way back then.

paris401

Starter
a very (very) average player, becomes a successful coach, then (upto now) a very (very) average GM... phil its not a great resume... unless your next employer happens to be your girlfriend...

tiger0330

Legend
Who is left? David Blatt and Luke. Reports are Luke is going to interview with Sactown so he may be ruling out NY because of the California connection and wouldn't move to NY for all the money in the world.

Not real high on Blatt after Cleveland, he seems desperate for another NBA opportunity living with a friend in ATL instead of with his family in Israel. Seems like a vulture circling the landscape waiting for one of those NBA job openings to fall his way. People say he got shafted but I disagree, he didn't show real leadership with the Cavs and Griffin fired him despite the record.
Lakers and Rockets get permission to interview Luke Walton. I guess Luke told Phil no way in hell am I interested in NY as the reason Phil never asked the Warriors to interview Luke.

And if Blatt is such a great coach why is it I haven't heard his name in the discussion for any of the open coaching jobs besides the Knicks.

So much for PJ and his triangle and 11 rings convincing guys to come to NY. Maybe the best thing for NY is to have another terrible season next year, maybe get the number 1pick and the media blasts Phil and he goes home to LA next year.

Broadway

All Star
Lakers and Rockets get permission to interview Luke Walton. I guess Luke told Phil no way in hell am I interested in NY as the reason Phil never asked the Warriors to interview Luke.

And if Blatt is such a great coach why is it I haven't heard his name in the discussion for any of the open coaching jobs besides the Knicks.

So much for PJ and his triangle and 11 rings convincing guys to come to NY. Maybe the best thing for NY is to have another terrible season next year, maybe get the number 1pick and the media blasts Phil and he goes home to LA next year.

Blatt I believe is getting a chance to interview with the Lakers. Could be who his reps reach out to determining who he gets an opportunity to interview with. I'm alright with Blatt but he isn't a must have. Rambis and Phil have the same agent and very well known ties, we know how this is going to end.

Getting better by being unintentionally and miserably bad is not a sign of a good executive.

tiger0330

Legend
Blatt I believe is getting a chance to interview with the Lakers. Could be who his reps reach out to determining who he gets an opportunity to interview with. I'm alright with Blatt but he isn't a must have. Rambis and Phil have the same agent and very well known ties, we know how this is going to end.

Getting better by being unintentionally and miserably bad is not a sign of a good executive.
Just read that, Fansided said the interview was just a formality. Lue also came out and said Blatt deserves another shot but NBA teams haven't exactly been flocking to the guys door offering him a job, I think it's going to be tough for him to live down that you got fired after you took a team to the NBA finals odd as that sounds.

lol Luke chose Lakers over Knicks

The dude is from San Diego. Played college basketball in Arizona. Spent the first decade of his playing career on the Lakers and spent the last 3 seasons as an assistant coach for Golden State. Not sure it was ever realistic to think he was coming to the East Coast.

I will say this about Luke Walton. He either loves the Lakers franchise or he likes a challenge, because no way Lakers are the team with the best situation that offered him a head coaching job. If he can get them over 25 wins next season, it will be an accomplishment.

tiger0330

Legend
The dude is from San Diego. Played college basketball in Arizona. Spent the first decade of his playing career on the Lakers and spent the last 3 seasons as an assistant coach for Golden State. Not sure it was ever realistic to think he was coming to the East Coast.

I will say this about Luke Walton. He either loves the Lakers franchise or he likes a challenge, because no way Lakers are the team with the best situation that offered him a head coaching job. If he can get them over 25 wins next season, it will be an accomplishment.
Definitely not stepping into the same situation Kerr turned down the Knicks job for. He still has a place in Malibu so he doesn't even have to relocate. Seems his west coast roots and Lakers connections were too much for PJ and Dolans money, thing that gets me is the Laker job wasn't even open when he turned down the Knicks opportunity, didn't even want to interview for the NY job.

paris401

Starter
I think at the end of the day it will be rambis... why... no other un-employed coach will pick up phil's phone calls...

tiger0330

Legend
I think at the end of the day it will be rambis... why... no other un-employed coach will pick up phil's phone calls...
I think it will be Blatt with Rambis as his lead asst. Rambis is really unpopular and his HC record would be a hard sell to the fan base and media. With Blatt, Phil can say he led a team to the NBA finals. Whatever he does there's no reason to wait, Luke is gone, interview other guys or hire Blatt or Rambis.

I think it will be Blatt with Rambis as his lead asst. Rambis is really unpopular and his HC record would be a hard sell to the fan base and media. With Blatt, Phil can say he led a team to the NBA finals. Whatever he does there's no reason to wait, Luke is gone, interview other guys or hire Blatt or Rambis.

I'm starting to make my peace with it either way. We hire Blatt and we get a head coach who's career NBA record is 83 - 40 (yeah, I know, Lebron James) and who is one of the most successful European head coaches of all-time. Only reason Blatt is out of work is Lebron. He is a great coach from start to finish by all accounts.

We stick with Rambis as head coach and we play lottery ball again this coming season. Benefit of actually having a 1st round pick: we stink and we get a prize for it. Even better, we have another big stinko season and at the end of it, both PJ and Rambis are gone. I believe that.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I would love to see what Phil could actually do as a coach with a team such as this.

I'm not saying Phil is wrong about wanting to stick to his game plan, he knows more about basketball than I do, but at the same time that doesn't mean great basketball minds can also be stubborn and make bad choices in certain areas of their profession. I'm concerned about our point guard situation (and our guard situation in general). What's crazy is we have a very good front court, but we had nothing to show for it for most of the season because our backcourt was such a polar opposite. I agree with Phil that we shouldn't spend a ton of money on a PG JUST to get a good PG (I'd offer Conley a lot of money if it wasn't for recent injuries), but it seems like he doesn't even care much about the position. Hopefully he cares about one of the guard positions though, because any significant upgrade at that position would be big for this team. Hopefully Lance Thomas is healthy next season too.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm starting to make my peace with it either way. We hire Blatt and we get a head coach who's career NBA record is 83 - 40 (yeah, I know, Lebron James) and who is one of the most successful European head coaches of all-time. Only reason Blatt is out of work is Lebron. He is a great coach from start to finish by all accounts.

We stick with Rambis as head coach and we play lottery ball again this coming season. Benefit of actually having a 1st round pick: we stink and we get a prize for it. Even better, we have another big stinko season and at the end of it, both PJ and Rambis are gone. I believe that.
If the Knicks finish with a worse season than this season then expect that they lost DWill and AA and couldn't replace them with better players and KP and JG didn't have good enough years to pick up the slack. Like you I think a stinko season would mean the early end of the PJ era, Ken Berger is already saying PJ will be headed back to LA after next season to re-unite with Jeannie and Luke and a season where PJ constantly reads or hears in the NY media how bad the Knicks and Phil have been is going to make him admit it didn't work out in NY and make him return to LA.

Not a scenario I want to see, I'm hoping Phil can sign a couple of good players and the Knicks can make progress, perhaps make the playoffs and KP and JG have outstanding years as cornerstones for the future.

paris401

Starter
If the Knicks finish with a worse season than this season then expect that they lost DWill and AA .

I think AA has a players opt for 16/17 at 8m... and I think that having him come off the bench was 'requested' from 'upstairs' hoping he will be pissed ..and he was.. and opt out... he blows, but I doubt someone offers him more $$$ and/or more years...

mafra

Legend
Tommy Dee, at theknicksblog.com, wrote:

Tommy Dee | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

The Lakers sent shockwaves throughout the NBA last night, hiring Golden State Warriors assistant coach Luke Walton as their head coach. The move, I'm told, clears the way for the Knicks to hire David Blatt, whose meeting with Phil Jackson and Steve Mills on Monday significantly impressed the Knicks president.

"Phil absolutely loved Blatt's intelligence," a source with knowledge of the conversation said. "Can't stop talking about it. He's singing Blatt's praises to everyone. Phil's a tough grader when it comes to intelligence. It takes a lot to impress him."

The overriding narrative is that Kurt Rambis is the heavy favorite to have the interim tag removed from the title, but I haven't been getting that sense. Rambis, who Jackson is very close with, is involved in the process, but I'm told that the overwhelming majority of the players didn't sing Rambis' praises in their exit interviews.

Rambis is extremely intelligent and would serve a significant role either as an assistant or in the front office. He was an exceptional coordinator for Phil with the Lakers, in a similar manner that Tex Winter was for Jackson's championship teams in Chicago. That role seems to fit Rambis best, and would allow him to continue to share Jackson's vision and trust.

Blatt seems to have entered into Jackson's trust circle following their meeting, which is a major sign that Phil is really giving a lot of thought to hiring him. Blatt refused to discuss any coaching situations, including Los Angeles, when he came on as a guest on a local Atlanta radio station earlier this week.

Blatt could fill the vacancy on Steve Kerr's bench that Walton left in Golden State. Blatt was a serious candidate for that role in 2014 before taking the Cavaliers position. He's also rumored to be considering going back overseas, according to international reporter David Pick.

Again, based on everything I'm hearing, Blatt has really made a great impression on Jackson. Bringing Blatt on board would be a smooth transition based on his relationship with former Princeton teammate and current executive vice president and general manager Steve Mills. The Walton hiring takes Blatt out of consideration for one of the jobs he was mentioned as a candidate for. His meeting with the Knicks Monday inches him one step closer to filling a vacancy here.