Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Denver Nuggets 9:00pm 3/8/2016

tiger0330

Legend
I think they do, but that is just my opinion...

this is what rambis said about mudiay:

with that being said, knicks NEEDED a PG.. why did the knicks pass on him again?
Not just an opinion. Both Mudiay and Jokic are putting up better numbers on the offensive end than KP and JG. Jokic schooled KP yesterday in the paint on a couple of plays, Serbia > Latvia in Denver yesterday.

Broadway

All Star
tiger0330;296XXX said:
Arguably Mudiay/Jokic have a brighter future than KP/Grant. Time will tell.

I think they do, but that is just my opinion...

this is what rambis said about mudiay:

He?s going to be a good ballplayer ? great court vision, good point-guard instincts, can penetrate, pass the basketball, willing passer,?? Rambis said. ?You can tell he?s worked on his shot to keep the defense?s honest. ? We spent a lot pf time talking about it [before the draft]. He?s got that size, too. You can see where he can withstand punishment and use that size to wedge himself inside.?

with that being said, knicks NEEDED a PG.. why did the knicks pass on him again?

It was Mudiay or Hezonja(if he can be freed from Skiles or he sets him free) for me. Mudiay obvious reasons and Hezo was the only player who's game spoke to catching a Paul George type find. I stand by this. Once again #kporzee isn't a bad player... in some ways he has met or exceeded expectations but he is by no means nor shown he is clearly head and shoulders/far better than anyone in his draft class yet alone the talent(Buddy Hields, Ben Simmons, Brice Johnsons, Brandon Ingrams) that's coming this summer nor the summer prior to(Jokic, Capela, Parker, Lavine, Gordon, Randle, Wiggins).

Therefore we should have done probably what was necessary, draft Mudiay to solve need, move up to draft Russell to solve need, or move up to draft Okafor(the guy Phil said he would have taken if on the board) best Triangle fit.

Broadway

All Star
Hope Melo wants out when he finds out quickly no one wants to play with him(again and again and again) and we can somehow pry a high pick away to nab Kris Dunn

Broadway

All Star
Not just an opinion. Both Mudiay and Jokic are putting up better numbers on the offensive end than KP and JG. Jokic schooled KP yesterday in the paint on a couple of plays, Serbia > Latvia in Denver yesterday.

The fact Rambis is acknowledging his jump shot improving(mechanics) speaks to how overblown this was. The point guard was never going to shoot a ton in this offense anyway and his jumper can always improve. There have been so many point guards who have come into this league with trash jumpers who became All-Stars, Superstars, HOFrs, Champions

The fact Rambis is acknowledging his jump shot improving(mechanics) speaks to how overblown this was. The point guard was never going to shoot a ton in this offense anyway and his jumper can always improve. There have been so many point guards who have come into this league with trash jumpers who became All-Stars, Superstars, HOFrs, Champions

Not overblown. Mudiay is still a bad shooter. He shot 34% from the floor before the All-Star break and he is still only shooting 36% from the floor since the All-Star break. It's not like this kid is shooting 18 footers either. He is shooting a lot from mid range and closer because of his penetrating ability and his shooting is still that poor.

Still, before the All-Star break he was averaging an embarrassing 3.5 turnovers per game. Since the All-Star break, he has trimmed that down to a tidy 2.5 turnovers per game.

Would he have fit our offense? It doesn't matter. Our backcourt rotation is so terrible he could have showed up and shot 20% from the floor per game and it still would be better for us because of his playmaking ability.

I genuinely like Porzingis, but Mudiay/Jokic vs Porzingis/Grant is not even close. Hindsight is always 50/50 though.

Kiyaman

Legend
Grant n Mudiay talent are the same .. our coaching n starter PG leadership has been inconsistent this season, especially with Afflalo inconsistent performance for 34 minute a nite

Broadway

All Star
Not overblown. Mudiay is still a bad shooter. He shot 34% from the floor before the All-Star break and he is still only shooting 36% from the floor since the All-Star break. It's not like this kid is shooting 18 footers either. He is shooting a lot from mid range and closer because of his penetrating ability and his shooting is still that poor.

Still, before the All-Star break he was averaging an embarrassing 3.5 turnovers per game. Since the All-Star break, he has trimmed that down to a tidy 2.5 turnovers per game.

Would he have fit our offense? It doesn't matter. Our backcourt rotation is so terrible he could have showed up and shot 20% from the floor per game and it still would be better for us because of his playmaking ability.

I genuinely like Porzingis, but Mudiay/Jokic vs Porzingis/Grant is not even close. Hindsight is always 50/50 though.

Naaaaahh Mudiay is getting better while #kporzee isn't. Mudiay's shot is improving game by game by game and the fact he's hitting the 3 ball with more regularity and taking it without pause is proving it. As you said his TOs are down. The hardest position in the league to learn is the PG and he's showing everyone he's going to be one to be reckoned with soon. Oh and again we needed this position filled more than any on the roster at the time of drafting

mafra

Legend
Emmanuel Mudiay scored a career-high 30 points to lead the Nuggets to a 116-98 win over the Suns on Thursday.

The rookie was sensational, shooting 13-of-20 from the field and 4-of-7 from 3-point range, adding five assists, two boards and one block in 34 minutes. He did have four turnovers, but Mudiay's game has grown a ton since the beginning of the season. He was putting up averages of 13.1 points, 5.7 assists, 4.0 boards, 0.7 blocks, 1.2 steals and 1.2 treys in his previous 10 games, so his value is on the rise. Keep in mind that he also shot 36.2 percent from the field with 2.5 turnovers in that span, so you will have to take the good with the bad.

Nikola Jokic scores 18 w/ 10 boards, 3 blocks

Nikola Jokic double-doubled with a full line against the Suns on Thursday, scoring 18 points with 10 boards, four assists, three blocks, two steals and one 3-pointer in just 27 minutes.

The rookie can do a little bit of everything and has the potential to become a star in fantasy and in real life. He was 6-of-8 from the field and 5-of-5 from the line, and he's developing some real chemistry with fellow rookie Emmanuel Mudiay. Jokic has been a top-20 player in standard leagues over his last five games, averaging 16.0 points, 9.8 boards, 3.4 assists, 1.6 blocks and 1.2 steals. He could be an early-round guy the rest of the way.

mafra

Legend
Then again... It was DEN-pHO

Devin Booker dropped a career-high 35 points in Thursday's 116-98 loss to the Nuggets, shooting 12-of-24 from the field.

He was also 10-of-11 from the line and 1-of-5 from deep while adding five assists, three boards, one block and one steal in 44 minutes. Brandon Knight (groin) made his return tonight, so it's a great sign that coach Earl Watson didn't reduce Booker's workload.

On a side note, the rookie joined LeBron James as the only teenagers in NBA history to score 30 or more points in back-to-back games. He's a special talent and needs to be owned in all leagues going forward.

Mar 11 - 12:15 AM

Naaaaahh Mudiay is getting better while #kporzee isn't. Mudiay's shot is improving game by game by game and the fact he's hitting the 3 ball with more regularity and taking it without pause is proving it. As you said his TOs are down. The hardest position in the league to learn is the PG and he's showing everyone he's going to be one to be reckoned with soon. Oh and again we needed this position filled more than any on the roster at the time of drafting

First off, who cares about Porzingis? I wasn't comparing Mudiay to Porzingis. If we had drafted Mudiay instead of Porzingis, we'd probably just have kept him mostly on the bench since this franchise has no interest in developing PGs on the court apparently.

Second, Mudiay shot 28% from 3 point range in the month of February. How can you say he is hitting the 3-pointer with more regularity and seriously expect someone to not laugh at that? That comment is hard to justify.

Third, Mudiay is definitely a bad shooter at this point in his career.. That is not an inconsequential thing. You take his skill set and make him a good shooter, he is immediately side-by-side with Towns as a future regular All-Star in this league. He may improve his shooting over the next couple years or he may not.

Fourth, regardless of his shooting, Mudiay does look like he is going to be a good player. Since the All-Star break, he has gotten his assist-to-turnover ratio above 2 and somehow magically improved his FT shooting by almost 20%. Addressing those 2 areas of severe inefficiency makes him a guy you can actually put on the court in all 4 quarters and then his amazing athleticism can take over.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Mudiay has had a nice 5 game run but for the season even with KP hitting the rookie wall, Porzingis still bests Mudiay. When I was comparing Jokic/Mudiay KP/Grant, I was comparing Jokic/KP and Mudiay/Grant. Jokic compares very favorably to KP despite our rook getting all the love and hype and forget Grant compared to Mudiay, it's not even close.

Mudiay does have what I expected and didn't expect of Porzingis and thats an NBA body able to hold up to the rigors of an NBA schedule.

KP looks gassed in games and needs to work on his endurance.

Rk Player G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Emmanuel Mudiay 51 49 30.5 4.6 12.9 .354 0.9 3.1 .299 3.6 9.8 .371 .390 2.0 3.2 .642 0.5 2.8 3.4 5.8 1.1 0.6 3.3 2.1 12.1
2 Kristaps Porzingis 64 64 27.7 5.1 12.0 .421 1.1 3.3 .333 4.0 8.8 .454 .466 2.6 3.1 .845 1.9 5.4 7.3 1.2 0.8 1.9 1.6 2.9 13.9

Last edited:
It's interesting to compare the 2015 NBA draft class on both an individual and a team level.

On an individual level, I'd say a very impressive number of this year's rookies are having very good first seasons by rookie standards.

When you look at it on a team level, I'm not sure you could say that too many of those same rookies have yet made their mark with any real significance. Lots of other factors come into play in affecting a team's record, but I feel like I'll have a lot more insight into Towns, Porzingis, Mudiay, Okafor, and Russell when/if any of them start playing on teams in the playoff hunt.

I mean, individual success is great and all, but if Minny, Knicks, Nuggets, Sixers, and Lakers are all still lottery teams this time next season, then it's kind of anti-climatic.