Official Free Agency Thread

While the Cavs are signing Calderon, the Warriors are resigning Iguodala. GS is like Tiger Woods used to be back in the day. You either bet GS to win the championship or if you like longshots, you bet the rest of the field.

mafra

Legend
Re-signing both AI and Livingston was H-U-G-E.

With Klay and DG and rookie Mccraw.... along with AI and Livy.... that's 5 guys who can cover all 4-5 spots on defense, and bring up the ball, handle point, on offense.

These 5 a perfect supporting cast for your 2 superstars (KD and SC).

After that? Who cares, really. Those 7 are so sound and perfectly assembled, all they need is for 2 "bigs" to give them minutes.

In the playoffs, when you go 7-8 deep.... nobody can be as talented with their top 7 combined. You might match the star power, and a few teams can, but you can't keep up with the versatile depth of that complete 7group.

tiger0330

Legend
yea real cold... 23m worth of ice cubes...
I would think any 33 yr old would want a mult-year deal not a 1 year one. He got 23M just because he was willing to sign for 1 year, I have to believe not a lot of teams were offering 4 yr 68M Deals they were saying he was going to get.

tiger0330

Legend
Man, when you think about what the Cavs would need to add to beat the Warriors in the finals next year, the last guy you'd think of is Calderon.
I agree, their D just went to hell when he's on the floor. Rumor is they're looking to trade Shump but not take back salary, trying to trim their luxury tax bill and making room to re-sign Korver.

Kiyaman

Legend
Why havn't the Knicks signed George Hill yet .. what are they waiting on?
The Wolves should have worked out a sign n trade to get George Hill for Rubio ..
George Hill has a much higher B.ball IQ than Rubio n Teague put together at the point.
The TimberWolves has graded a A+ on draft night for adding Butler, plus grade a A+ for FA market by getting rid of Rubio $13M contract on their salary-cap in a trade for a future first round draft pick making room to sign FA PG Jeff Teague 15 pt, 8 ast, 1 stl, 2 turnover performance. Now the Wolves are centered into going after FA Milsap to make the Wolves hungrier than Spurs n Rockets for the WCF. Amazing how a lottery-team in one offseason are building a 50 win team deep enough to go far into the playoffs.

I would be happy to give the Knicks a B+ grade for the 2017 offseason only if the Knicks sign George Hill and Rondo to contracts, plus having our 8th pick Frank Nitty, 44th pick Dotson (aka Allan Houston) rebuilding the guard rotation.
So far the Knicks FA market grade are a big "F" for failure by resigning Baker on July 1st. when Knicks team priority are to sign a decent veteran starter PG asap.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jose Calderon - G - Cavaliers
Jose Calderon agreed to a one-year deal with the Cavs for the veteran's minimum.
This isn't exactly the big fish the Cavs were hoping for, but it's a start. Calderon does fit with the Cavs as a backup because he's a terrific spot-up shooter, but of course there are the defensive liabilities. Calderon is 35 years old and he probably tops out at just 16 minutes per game.
Source: Priority Sports on Twitter Jul 1 - 8:51 PM

I don't know which signing are the worst for the Cavs .. Calderon or Kover?
I would take Matthew Dellavedova over both Calderon/Kover all day everyday!

paris401

Starter
I would think any 33 yr old would want a mult-year deal not a 1 year one. He got 23M just because he was willing to sign for 1 year, I have to believe not a lot of teams were offering 4 yr 68M Deals they were saying he was going to get.

yep... the "experts' are saying guards...espec point guards (which I guess jj isn't ) are not in super demand this off-season...

mafra

Legend
HOU signed PJ Tucker... great signing.

According to Marc Berman of the New York Post, Justin Holiday has offers from "multiple teams."
Berman adds that the Bulls are one of the teams, but the Knicks are not. Darren Wolfson of KSTP.com said that Wolves are interested in Holdiay, but it's not clear if they are one of the teams who have made an offer. Justin did say recently that he would like to play with his brother, Jrue Holiday, so maybe the Pelicans are involved as well. An unrestricted free agent, Holiday averaged 7.7 points on 43.3 percent shooting with 2.7 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.8 steals and 1.2 triples in 20.0 minutes for the Knicks last season.
Source: Marc Berman on Twitter Jul 2 - 11:22 AM

According to Marc Berman of the New York Post, Justin Holiday has offers from "multiple teams."
Berman adds that the Bulls are one of the teams, but the Knicks are not. Darren Wolfson of KSTP.com said that Wolves are interested in Holdiay, but it's not clear if they are one of the teams who have made an offer. Justin did say recently that he would like to play with his brother, Jrue Holiday, so maybe the Pelicans are involved as well. An unrestricted free agent, Holiday averaged 7.7 points on 43.3 percent shooting with 2.7 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.8 steals and 1.2 triples in 20.0 minutes for the Knicks last season.

Wait, so we're just going to let Justin Holiday walk? He was promising at times last year and the best part of that Derrick Rose trade. He also was one of the biggest factors in winning those games late in the season, which, as Broadway will remind us, hurt our lottery position. I guess maybe he is not akin to our new franchise focus on young, cheap players only (also known as tanking the season).

and1

Rotation player

that's weird, because i could've sworn i saw a headline yesterday that said the knicks had reached out to holiday expressing interest. i guess maybe it was a bogus headline?

They just said on Sirius NBA radio that the Knicks are pursuing Otto Porter in free agency. Anyone believe this?

Paul1355

All Star
Why havn't the Knicks signed George Hill yet .. what are they waiting on?
The Wolves should have worked out a sign n trade to get George Hill for Rubio ..
George Hill has a much higher B.ball IQ than Rubio n Teague put together at the point.
The TimberWolves has graded a A+ on draft night for adding Butler, plus grade a A+ for FA market by getting rid of Rubio $13M contract on their salary-cap in a trade for a future first round draft pick making room to sign FA PG Jeff Teague 15 pt, 8 ast, 1 stl, 2 turnover performance. Now the Wolves are centered into going after FA Milsap to make the Wolves hungrier than Spurs n Rockets for the WCF. Amazing how a lottery-team in one offseason are building a 50 win team deep enough to go far into the playoffs.

I would be happy to give the Knicks a B+ grade for the 2017 offseason only if the Knicks sign George Hill and Rondo to contracts, plus having our 8th pick Frank Nitty, 44th pick Dotson (aka Allan Houston) rebuilding the guard rotation.
So far the Knicks FA market grade are a big "F" for failure by resigning Baker on July 1st. when Knicks team priority are to sign a decent veteran starter PG asap.

kiya- its been a while but please tell me how the knicks could even afford Hill and Rondo or even afford just Hill? they can't. They have only 17 million in cap room with a new CBA that will have players demanding ridiculous deals. Best for knicks to stay away from over paying veterans just like we did last offseason in Rose and Noah. Do you really want to pay George Hill almost 20 million a year when he is not the future? He isn't that much better than Rose and Rose averaged more ppg than Hill.

Rondo would be a good sign because he should not ask for much, is a good veteran pg that is a true floor general to mentor the french kid and would run the offense unlike Rose who just scores a lot. Rondo is underrated and I will argue anybody that disagrees. The bulls made the playoffs and almost upset the Celtics because of Rajon Rondo. Rondo got hurt and Boston rolled through the Bulls, it was amazing to me how much influence Rondo had on the offense. He still can bring wins to a team and run the floor as good as most point guards. He can't score unless its a layup but his job is to orchestrate and make others better...KP needs a real pg, so does Melo if he stays.

Baker is just a backup to have continuity. He is more a shooting guard that will backup Lee.

Paul1355

All Star
that's weird, because i could've sworn i saw a headline yesterday that said the knicks had reached out to holiday expressing interest. i guess maybe it was a bogus headline?

Holiday should return but he really wants to play with his brother Jrue and the reports are that he was going to join the team that signed Jrue...I would expect him to sign a deal with the Pelicans unless another team or knicks give him an offer. I like Justin he's a solid wing player and underrated and better than Baker.

Paul1355

All Star
Nets had interest but the 1yr actually puts him in a better financial situation next yr for free agency. He might not be able to sign long term deals but he might not have to worry about taking a huge annual pay cut. Philly might produce a winning situation too. Smart get by him.

23 mil a year is a cold market? He signed the one year deal because the new CBA kicks in and i think next year he can make more money...many players are doing this with one year deals etc. Even if JJ redick does not benefit from new CBA, he just doubled his salary and joined a team that is ready to take it to next level. 76ers are loaded with talent they just need to stay healthy for one season and everyone will see how deep of a team they are.

Paul1355

All Star
They just said on Sirius NBA radio that the Knicks are pursuing Otto Porter in free agency. Anyone believe this?

It would be a good move if they could steal him from Washington so we have a melo replacement. Porter would fit the rebuild and signing young players vision the Knicks have adopted lately. Problem is that Washington will match any offer because i believe Porter is a restricted free agent.

It would make sense for Washington to take Melo and we get Porter..sign and trade...but I'm not GM.

Paul1355

All Star
I read one avenue is a Lee trade. I would prefer to trade Lee for something and roll with Holiday and Dotson as my SG....

A decent GM should be able to move Lee for a 1st or a player like Bledsoe.

Courtney Lee for Eric Bledsoe? unless you're Houdini you can't pull that off. When talking trades you need to look at both teams persecptives. Bledsoe is a stud point guard that is underrated because he's been playing in irrelevant Phoenix. Bledsoe is worth way more than Courtney Lee. We would have to give up a pick and Lee for Bledsoe, maybe something else as well and that would still be a good deal for Knicks.

23 mil a year is a cold market? He signed the one year deal because the new CBA kicks in and i think next year he can make more money...many players are doing this with one year deals etc. Even if JJ redick does not benefit from new CBA, he just doubled his salary and joined a team that is ready to take it to next level. 76ers are loaded with talent they just need to stay healthy for one season and everyone will see how deep of a team they are.

They just explained during the Summer League game that Redick got such a huge 1 year contract because Philly is full of guys on rookie contracts and they need to get to the minimum team salary limit.

Taj Gibson to the Twolves. So, basically Thibs is just bringing whoever he wants from his old Bulls squad.

Paul1355

All Star
Taj Gibson to the Twolves. So, basically Thibs is just bringing whoever he wants from his old Bulls squad.

They are all good players and it's perfect forms young team like Minnesota that needs veteran leadership and players that wouldn't come here if thibs wasn't there. T wolves are poised to make that breakthrough jump like the jazz did last season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk