Breaking News: Melo to OKC

Broadway

All Star
I disagree, mainly b/c it was foolish to eat anymore into our 2019 cap space. What good does a 2020 1st do, if RW remains in OKC.... then that pick is only about 10 picks higher than the 2nd rounder we get in 2018.

I'm sure if HOU would've eaten one of our bad contracts and given a 1st plus other picks.... Perry would've pulled the trigger. That deal wasn't on the table.

NYK got a solid 3-point shooter (who is stil on his rookie deal; they got a halfway decent offensive piece to replace Melo and they got an early
Second rounder. Most importantly, we help our own lottery cause this year while saving about 10 mil of cap space next summer.

Under the circumstances.... Perry did OK.

We don't know what deal was on the table and with the exodus of Phil...Knicks showed no real willingness to move him there as I'm sure the new regime wanted to make their own stamp on controlling the trade.

David Aldridge's tweet(on non move to Cleveland) supports more of the suspicious hunches with this front office than not. I'll give Perry credit in that he got players that fit more to the vision but by and large it wasn't a good trade and the fact we moved on it in a matter of less than 2 weeks shows the front office was never serious about the other deals.

Funny how Presti can make Presto out of thin air yet we're always left scratching out heads on deals. We won't have cap space for a while with new deals on the horizon unless we move a ton of dead money. So I stand by my previous post about our future cap situation, Dolan was probably sweating luxury taxes

mafra

Legend
Non move to CLe means nothing to me.... he tweeted before that that NYK wanted Thompson. Odds are CLe only offered Frye, Shump and a 2nd.... As for not wanting him in the East? This isn't Indy that took far less to move Paul out of the Conf.

NY had 1 option all Summer. They played chicken with Melo and he caved and expanded his list to 3.... NY took the best of 3 offers and made sure Melo didn't show up on Monday.

As for Dougie, I don't agree with you here. A 4 mil PO for a rookie contract is not a heft deal eating up valuable cap space.

Now, the Kanter deal stinks. But at least it's 1 more year and 10 mil less than what Melo was going to earn.

I would've preferred a deal like what LAC got for Paul.... but, oh well.... people who wanted Melo gone just for Ryno should be happy now. Melo is gone and we're. It stuck with that terrI nor contract. Plus we got a pick and Dougie.

It's not like there was a better deal to be had.... if there was.... let me see it.

I'm okay with this trade. We got rid of Melo without taking back terrible contracts in return. Good enough.

Also, for all the people who freaked out a while back when I said we should trade a 1st round pick to get Sam Presti from OKC to come be our GM, what do you say now? He turned 4 nobody players into Paul George and Melo without giving up a 1st round pick.

Broadway

All Star
Non move to CLe means nothing to me.... he tweeted before that that NYK wanted Thompson. Odds are CLe only offered Frye, Shump and a 2nd.... As for not wanting him in the East? This isn't Indy that took far less to move Paul out of the Conf.

NY had 1 option all Summer. They played chicken with Melo and he caved and expanded his list to 3.... NY took the best of 3 offers and made sure Melo didn't show up on Monday.

As for Dougie, I don't agree with you here. A 4 mil PO for a rookie contract is not a heft deal eating up valuable cap space.

Now, the Kanter deal stinks. But at least it's 1 more year and 10 mil less than what Melo was going to earn.

I would've preferred a deal like what LAC got for Paul.... but, oh well.... people who wanted Melo gone just for Ryno should be happy now. Melo is gone and we're. It stuck with that terrI nor contract. Plus we got a pick and Dougie.

It's not like there was a better deal to be had.... if there was.... let me see it.

Let's say we try to groom him to be the next Kyle Korver without knowing if this is who he'll be.

Maf if we intend on leaving open the opportunity to retain McDermott and it results in him testing the market for us to match a contract offer(a la Lin), then sorry it will be a major cap hit($9.7mio) on our team until there is an agreed upon deal.

If he accepts the QO then no but it has to be done relatively quickly to not have major financial impact.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
[FONT=&quot]The Thunder traded Oladipo, Sabonas, Kanter, McDermott, and a 2nd round pick for Paul George AND Carmelo Anthony. Pretty good off-season for Presti.[/FONT]

Broadway

All Star
I'm okay with this trade. We got rid of Melo without taking back terrible contracts in return. Good enough.

Also, for all the people who freaked out a while back when I said we should trade a 1st round pick to get Sam Presti from OKC to come be our GM, what do you say now? He turned 4 nobody players into Paul George and Melo without giving up a 1st round pick.

I believe I co-signed this idea, it was in the David Griffin thread right?

Broadway

All Star
The Thunder traded Oladipo, Sabonas, Kanter, McDermott, and a 2nd round pick for Paul George AND Carmelo Anthony. Pretty good off-season for Presti.

He an resign them to long term deals too without moving a ton of bodies, but they will have to deal with Tax issues. Probably will come down to how successful a season they have.

mafra

Legend
Let's say we try to groom him to be the next Kyle Korver without knowing if this is who he'll be.

Maf if we intend on leaving open the opportunity to retain McDermott and it results in him testing the market for us to match a contract offer(a la Lin) then sorry it will be a major cap hit($9.7mio) on our team until there is an agreed upon deal.

If he accepts the QO then no but it has to be done relatively quickly to not have major financial impact.

Well, that's certainly true... if we decide to keep McBuckets then itlll be costly. But, that decision is ours to make. Not like we are stuck with him though.... that's my point.

Broadway

All Star
Well, that's certainly true... if we decide to keep McBuckets then itlll be costly. But, that decision is ours to make. Not like we are stuck with him though.... that's my point.

Oh no doubt, I believe they both are goners after the season is over. Which means Perry is holding the bag of a 2nd rounder and very little cap space($10-15mil?) to no cap space. Depends on what Kanter, Baker, and KO do.

If Perry can flip OKC assets before season's end, then okay. The main issue imo is McDermott getting a chance to play meaningful enough minutes to be financially evaluated, not sure it'll happen here.

I'd place any amount of money Kanter goes back to OKC next yr if he opts out of his deal

jimkcchief88

All Star
exactly what were we watching??? a 31/51 season, or a 32/50, or a 17/65 or 37/45 season... tell me jim what did I miss???

Uhhhh I guess you missed the Atlantic Division Championship and first round playoff victory and a fire extinguisher away from an EC finals appearance. Anyway Melo is gone now and I'm thru arguing with you haters. Enjoy your Knicks without a legit NBA scorer.:(

Barkley likes the deal for us because he likes Kanter and his low post scoring. Barkley is way more skeptical of this deal for OKC and how they will make this all work.

Broadway

All Star
Barkley likes the deal for us because he likes Kanter and his low post scoring. Barkley is way more skeptical of this deal for OKC and how they will make this all work.

Barkley is a massive Kanter fan, always has been. Kanter is gonna be Kanter if he's used correctly. He's solid but never tips the scales. As far as OKC there are going to be some kinks to work out, but if WB/KD/Harden could work then this can work for at least 1yr.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow! Our Punk Ball-hogging Melo is finally gone .. Westbrook got a trick for him in OKC lmao.

Now what are we going to do with the 7.3 string-bean KP that's clueless in the low-post?
KP is not a center!
KP is not a PF!
KP is not a Starter in the NBA, maybe in Latvia but not the NBA!
Im tired of reading all the fake HYPE sports writers and sports announcers are putting up bout rebuilding around Porzingis.
Porzingis performance got more FLAWS than Beasley !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Uhhhh I guess you missed the Atlantic Division Championship and first round playoff victory and a fire extinguisher away from an EC finals appearance. Anyway Melo is gone now and I'm thru arguing with you haters. Enjoy your Knicks without a legit NBA scorer.:(

Your so-call NBA scorer took 20 to 30 shots a night, plus never played a lick of defense in a Knicks uniform.
Lebron James played more defense in one game than Melo did in his 7 seasons as a Knick !!!

paris401

Starter

not a Me-Lo hater, just think he is over-hyped... as to that playoff appearance.. why go back 5years... why not 10 or 15 or lets go all the way back to 73... and I agree that we would probably win more games with Me-Lo then without... but if the ultimate goal is to WIN... u have to move on...

and1

Rotation player

if he were here now, i don't think he would've been able to get more for melo than what we ended up getting.
yeah, he had a good offseason, but i don't think i would ever trade a 1st rounder for a guy who's never going to suit up and get on the court for us. that just doesn't make sense to me.

and1

Rotation player
and now, let the KP bashings - the new scapegoat - begin!
if horns is going to be playing a lot of multiple guard line-ups out there like i suspect he's going to want to do, then we are a bit heavy in the frontcourt. he better not get rid of the Q or WHG with kanter now on the roster. but it really is looking like we have some serious potential for some deadly 3 pt firepower.
well, i said it would be knicks vs. cavs on opening night if melo got traded to cleveland. looks like it'll be knicks vs. thunder. go figure :smokin:

and1

Rotation player
Wow! Our Punk Ball-hogging Melo is finally gone .. Westbrook got a trick for him in OKC lmao.

Now what are we going to do with the 7.3 string-bean KP that's clueless in the low-post?
KP is not a center!
KP is not a PF!
KP is not a Starter in the NBA, maybe in Latvia but not the NBA!
Im tired of reading all the fake HYPE sports writers and sports announcers are putting up bout rebuilding around Porzingis.
Porzingis performance got more FLAWS than Beasley !!!

how about let's start by hoping noah can play more than 50 games.