Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Detroit Pistons 8:00 10/21/2017 [Game #2]

Kiyaman

Legend
?The same. I?m still mad,? Hernangomez said. ?I cannot help the team win if I?m sitting on the bench. Two games in a row. It?s tough. I have to wait my moment. I cannot say nothing more.?

?It?s a competition. Guys earn their minutes,? Hornacek said. ?Willy?s done well. ? His opportunities will come.?

?I was mad,? Hernangomez said. ?But I have to keep working and wait for my moment. I know I?m ready. I showed last year I can play here. I really love playing here in New York. ? I want to win. This city and the fans, they love the effort, they love to win, so I try to show I can really play and help the team win.?

WHG has a good reason to be MAD .. the Knicks played like scared rabbits running from the wolves in the forest throughout the 2nd half of both games ..
Tonight the Knicks scored 43 points in the 2nd half of the game, the Knicks let the tired Pistons who played last night score 60 points in the 2nd half of the game mostly on inside scoring, while the Knicks forced shots from the perimeter throughout the 2nd half of the game.

Hornacek has prove to be a lousy head coach having too many flaws in lineup-substitution, decision-making, development, and team-defense.

WHG would be best at the PF spot mixing it up along side F/C Quinn in a lineup to clean the glass n protect the paint having 4 fouls to offer to opponent scoring down low.
Frank n WHG should be receiving at least 18 minute of playing time per in each of the two games .. Fans want to see something from our future young players on the court. Especially when both LOSSES were done early in the 3rd quarter.
I seen enough of Baker last season to know we had previous young guards on our roster twice as better in Galloway/Grant/Larkin.
There's no reason why any of the Knicks players should receive over 30 minute of playing time in a LOSING game !!!

Put any all-star in NBA (other than Lebron or Westbrook) in a starting lineup with THJr, Sessions, Kanter, and Lee and see how many games Curry, Harden or anybody else win.

We have to look at the big picture.... there are some studs in the lottery and we need 1 of them. We are seeing growth in KP.... he's staying out of foul trouble and scoring points....

DET is a much better team and we still almost won the game bc KP is becoming something special.

Every loss gets us closer to where we need to be.

If We can somehow flip KOQ, LEE, Sessions for anything of value.... and if KP averages 28 & 8 and if WHG and Ntikilina show promise.... if Dougie or Beasley show they have a future here.... 12-70 is a successful year.

Put a stud next to kP!!! Only way to do that is to get a top 5 pick.

This is the Melo situation all over again. We have a ?great? player, but we keep losing, so we need another great player. Some ?great? players show up in the 4th quarter and some don?t. What did KP do last night, score 23 in the 1st half and 8 in the 2nd half? There?s a reason Reggie Miller is in the Hall of Fame despite averaging 18 ppg. KP needs to do it in the 4th quarter. No excuses. He?ll get more chances as the season goes on.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Finally finished the game on DVR thank goodness i wasn?t glued to the TV last night. KP played out of his mind in the first half, but Tobius Smith matched his points. Kanter got his, but was matched by drum; who is the Knicks third scorer???? CLEE???? Invisible as usual; THjr???? Shot his perfunctory bricks until the game was lost??? Sessions got to the free throw line that?s it...Like was said above now you see it?s KP on an island with no help instead of Melo...Tank fans should be happy because this team will struggle to win 20 games; who is the next unknown project Euro lottery pick for next year:(?????

tiger0330

Legend
KP is learning. He's done a great job so far taking over as the man on the Knicks from Melo so I don't get the criticism of him. From ESPN.

The defeat stung for a number of reasons: the Knicks couldn't hold on to a 21-point first-half lead, they allowed the Pistons to shoot 50 percent in the second half after defending well for stretches in the first 24 minutes, and they went away from moving the ball in the final two quarters once the game tightened up.

But if this season is really about development more than the wins and losses, Saturday offered an important opportunity for Porzingis: how to handle life as the No. 1 option in a close game.
Here's what he learned:
"I think in the third quarter I should have been more aggressive from the beginning, getting inside and getting fouled. We settled for jump shots early on and they kept running, getting good shots in transition," he said after attempting three shots in the third. "If I was more aggressive inside I would have stopped their transition, got fouled or some buckets."
New York made life too easy for Detroit in the second half by taking a few quick perimeter shots and failing to defend in transition. That's one of several reasons why the Knicks were outscored by 17 in the second half.
Could Porzingis have helped slow the Pistons down by getting the ball inside a few times? Sure. After all, he scored in the post three times in the first quarter amid his 7-for-7 start to the game.
But no amount of Porzingis post attempts would have masked the Knicks' struggles from beyond the arc. New York missed 15 of 20 attempts and starting shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr. struggled from the field all night, making 4 of 16 shots.
Still, Porzingis chided himself for going away from those inside looks in the second. He also said he could have handled Stan Van Gundy's decision to switch Anthony Tolliver (6-foot-8, 240 pounds) onto him a little better.
"He was just trying to be aggressive and be all over me," Porzingis said. "I should have done a better job when he's so into me -- drive by him or be aggressive and get fouled."
[h=1]Kristaps Porzingis learning as "The Man"[/h]Knicks power forward Kristaps Porzingis had limited experience coming into this season as New York's go-to guy in crunch time with the since-departed Carmelo Anthony off the court. There were only three games that were decided by five points or fewer and/or were decided in overtime that Porzingis played and Anthony did not in Porzingis' first two NBA seasons.
Date/OpponentResultLast 5 min/OT Points/FGsLast 5 min/OT Ast/TO
10/21/17 vs DETL, 111-1071 pt, 0/3 FGs0 ast, 0 TO
3/31/17 at MIAW, 98-940 pts, 0/0 FGs1 ast, 3 TO
1/26/16 vs OKCL, 128-122 (OT)3 pts, 1/3 FGs1 ast, 0 TO
11/29/15 vs HOUL, 116-1114 pts, 2/2 FGs0 ast, 0 TO
Porzingis hit 3 of 7 shots in the fourth quarter as the game hung in the balance, and he and the Knicks struggled to slow down Detroit's pick-and-roll late in the game.
He also passed up a 3-point shot with the Knicks down three with 37 seconds to play, instead taking the ball to the basket. His layup attempt was blocked by Andre Drummond. Porzingis felt he was fouled on the play, something visual evidence later confirmed.
Given how things played out for the Knicks for much of the second half -- and particularly late in the game -- it will be interesting to see how Porzingis alters his approach the next time the Knicks find themselves in a close game.

mafra

Legend
Such is life in the NBA... A guard (RJ) gets a phantom whistle, And-1 call down the stretch but the big guy (KP) doesn't get the call when he was blatantly fouled.

KP did the right thing, in a 2 for 1 situation, taking ball to the rack.

Now we're gonna trash him for not being a closer? Did we miss a step first? Let him achieve "the man" status before we label him a choker.

No, you guys are right. I?m being too critical of KP. This is a great start to the season for him. I?m just annoyed that we got humiliated in game 1 and then blew a 20+ point lead in game 2. We need to put it together in game 3.

mafra

Legend
No, you guys are right. I?m being too critical of KP. This is a great start to the season for him. I?m just annoyed that we got humiliated in game 1 and then blew a 20+ point lead in game 2. We need to put it together in game 3.

Remember, this is the first time these cats are playing with each other.

Good news is, with Rose and Paul injuries.... maybe there is hope to trade Lee or Sessions

dk7th

Benchwarmer
i had no problem with him taking the ball to the hole. he should have gotten the call. not his fault the refs swallowed their whistles.

but the next defensive possession, i believe harris drove from the left side into the lane and popped a little 10 foot jumper in the lane. kp was right there and did not contest!! that for me was the game.

that said, man he looked terrific. he deserves better than sessions out there. hopefully frank gets some real non-jitter minutes out there with kp over the next dozen games.

Kiyaman

Legend
Such is life in the NBA... A guard (RJ) gets a phantom whistle, And-1 call down the stretch but the big guy (KP) doesn't get the call when he was blatantly fouled.

KP did the right thing, in a 2 for 1 situation, taking ball to the rack.

Now we're gonna trash him for not being a closer? Did we miss a step first? Let him achieve "the man" status before we label him a choker.

STOP all the BS HYPE!
The Knicks team were embarrassed last night in MSG and so was their future star player!
The Detroit Pistons played in Washington DC the night before the game, then came to NYC MSG to play the Knicks .. the first half of this Knicks vs Piston game the Pistons performed like they are playing their first back to back game this season by giving the Knicks a 21 point lead in the first half.
The 2nd half of the GAME was completely EMBARRASSING for a Knicks team that build a 21 point lead on uncontested shots in the first half of the game .. the Pistons team performed with complete confidence on the defensive end of the court in the 2nd half of the game taking away the Knicks double-digit lead without any problems from the Knicks starters.
The Knicks were lost n confused at the start of the 2nd half when all of their shots were contested by a strong Pistons team-defense.
At the end of the 3rd quarter the Knicks players walked to the bench as if they knew they loss the game.
Our future star KP looked like a struggling rookie in the 2nd half of the game .. the frustration showed on KP face when he heaved up the first of a crazy 30 something feet shot in the 4th qtr having 7 seconds remaining on the shot clock.

mafra

Legend
I do agree that something has to give.... We can't be lucky enough to dump Noah, so NYK has to quickly find a trade partner for either KOQ or WHG or Kanter.

We have to decide who we want to commit to.... Kanter or WHG, then trade the other (and keep KOQ as the other C option).

mafra

Legend
STOP all the BS HYPE!
The Knicks team were embarrassed last night in MSG and so was their future star player!
The Detroit Pistons played in Washington DC the night before the game, then came to NYC MSG to play the Knicks .. the first half of this Knicks vs Piston game the Pistons performed like they are playing their first back to back game this season by giving the Knicks a 21 point lead in the first half.
The 2nd half of the GAME was completely EMBARRASSING for a Knicks team that build a 21 point lead on uncontested shots in the first half of the game .. the Pistons team performed with complete confidence on the defensive end of the court in the 2nd half of the game taking away the Knicks double-digit lead without any problems from the Knicks starters.
The Knicks were lost n confused at the start of the 2nd half when all of their shots were contested by a strong Pistons team-defense.
At the end of the 3rd quarter the Knicks players walked to the bench as if they knew they loss the game.
Our future star KP looked like a struggling rookie in the 2nd half of the game .. the frustration showed on KP face when he heaved up the first of a crazy 30 something feet shot in the 4th qtr having 7 seconds remaining on the shot clock.

Seriously? DET a good team and has played together more than NYK's whopping 2 games. Harris a legit star and Drummond is good. Bradley and Reggie Jax better than Sessions and Baker and THJr missed most of his shots.

This takes something away from KP's performance?

Remember, we must look beyond wins and losses.... all we need to see is KP take the lead alpha role.... stay healthy and be consistent.... play in 70 games and be impactful. Show growth to his game, add inside moves and be a force on defense.

If he averages 25 and 8 and passes a bit more than he had a good campaign.

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
yeah, i'm not sure where this claim of 'hype' is coming from. who exactly is hyping up the knicks?
if you're talking about the media 'hyping' up KP, take it up with them.
i pretty much read through these threads as they're updated, and i'm pretty sure i don't see anyone really 'hyping' KP.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Oh Boy, if KP got all this criticism when he played like this, I can't imagine what we will talk about him when he will have an off night.....

Kiyaman

Legend
yeah, i'm not sure where this claim of 'hype' is coming from. who exactly is hyping up the knicks?
if you're talking about the media 'hyping' up KP, take it up with them.
i pretty much read through these threads as they're updated, and i'm pretty sure i don't see anyone really 'hyping' KP.

News Flash ....
Kenny Ducey - Sports Illustrated - October 23, 2017
NBA power rankings: Trying not to overreact to first week

Kristaps Porzingis has been a goddamn machine out there, but that?s about where the fun ends.
Jeff Hornacek?s rotation is super-weird right now for a rebuilding team; Willy Hernangomez didn?t even play against the Pistons, which is very dumb, and Frankie Smokes only saw eight minutes in the season opener! Whenever he gets that ankle right, he should probably see the floor ..

As a young rebuilding team .. our first 10 to 15 games of the season should have a 10-11 man rotation, a two-unit rotation so players get familiar with teammates in their lineup to get on the same-page by learning each other strength/weakness, plus having a 10-11 man (2-unit) rotation would be treating all the players fare giving each one an equal chance to put wins on the Knicks record.
We are not in mid-season where we need to play the players in our best lineup 35 or 40 minutes in a game for a win. We are at the start of the season looking for the best 6 to 9 same-page players out of a 15 man roster.
Our Coach Hornacek need to be back on the Phoenix Suns getting FIRED after the 0-3 start !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Next up .. we go to Boston Garden to play the Celtricks officials .. I never looked at Kyrie as a threat especially when playing against a physical team .. Smart n Brown are 2 way physical guards that might eat us up if Timmy n Sessions goes into their soft routine. Boston without Hayward, we have to expect Horford/Morris/and rookie Tatum to be physical throughout the 2nd half of the game to keep a double digit lead.
I dont think Boston head coach Stevens like all of the changes to his rotation from last season.

and1

Rotation player
News Flash ....
Kenny Ducey - Sports Illustrated - October 23, 2017
NBA power rankings: Trying not to overreact to first week

Kristaps Porzingis has been a goddamn machine out there, but that’s about where the fun ends.
Jeff Hornacek’s rotation is super-weird right now for a rebuilding team; Willy Hernangomez didn’t even play against the Pistons, which is very dumb, and Frankie Smokes only saw eight minutes in the season opener! Whenever he gets that ankle right, he should probably see the floor ..

As a young rebuilding team .. our first 10 to 15 games of the season should have a 10-11 man rotation, a two-unit rotation so players get familiar with teammates in their lineup to get on the same-page by learning each other strength/weakness, plus having a 10-11 man (2-unit) rotation would be treating all the players fare giving each one an equal chance to put wins on the Knicks record.
We are not in mid-season where we need to play the players in our best lineup 35 or 40 minutes in a game for a win. We are at the start of the season looking for the best 6 to 9 same-page players out of a 15 man roster.
Our Coach Hornacek need to be back on the Phoenix Suns getting FIRED after the 0-3 start !!!

i still don't see what any of that has to do with the BS HYPE you were complaining about.
i don't think anyone here is under the illusion that the knicks are going to be very relevant in any way this season.