Game thread: New York Knicks @ Denver Nuggets 8:00 12/15/2019 [Game #27]

tiger0330

Legend
Starting to get back on the Ntilikina train. In about equal minutes last night, Ntilikina was +10 and Payton, despite putting up numbers approaching a triple double, was -14.

We missed Ntilikina’s defense out there at times. Might have been a reasonable move to give Ntilikina some of RJ’s big minutes, as Kiya said, if Miller was afraid of losing Payton’s ability to drive the offense.
Nits has to be more consistent, non-factor in the last 2 wins and his shooting % are nominally above his rookie season but I have been saying maybe we should be cutting some of RJs minutes and giving them to him so we can get him some time at SG. Don't think I've seen the both of Payton and Nits in the backcourt together, I'd like to see what that looks like.

Nits has to be more consistent, non-factor in the last 2 wins and his shooting % are nominally above his rookie season but I have been saying maybe we should be cutting some of RJs minutes and giving them to him so we can get him some time at SG. Don't think I've seen the both of Payton and Nits in the backcourt together, I'd like to see what that looks like.

Frank isn't a SG. He is a pure PG and nothing else. Payton or Frank don't shoot well enough yet to be the SG. Trier would be the fit for that position. Miller should change his starting lineup and take RJ and Randle out. Both our to ISO.

tiger0330

Legend
Frank isn't a SG. He is a pure PG and nothing else. Payton or Frank don't shoot well enough yet to be the SG. Trier would be the fit for that position. Miller should change his starting lineup and take RJ and Randle out. Both our to ISO.
That's true both are below avg shooters so that's probably why we won't see them paired together. Still to get their D in the game and cut back RJs minutes, I'd like to see how it would look for 6-8 minutes a game.

Just noticed in Kiyas previous post above he'd like to see the two paired together for 6-8 mins as well.

That's true both are below avg shooters so that's probably why we won't see them paired together. Still to get their D in the game and cut back RJs minutes, I'd like to see how it would look for 6-8 minutes a game.

Just noticed in Kiyas previous post above he'd like to see the two paired together for 6-8 mins as well.

Dotson and Trier are keys at SG. RJ doesn't have the foot speed for the position. If you notice most time he is running toward his man or chasing him. Most of you will come to realize the problems with RJ. Rookie like Paschall, Hayes and Walker would have been much better for us as a team. We needed good solid players that are good fundamentally.

Kiyaman

Legend
Starting to get back on the Ntilikina train. In about equal minutes last night, Ntilikina was +10 and Payton, despite putting up numbers approaching a triple double, was -14.

We missed Ntilikina?s defense out there at times. Might have been a reasonable move to give Ntilikina some of RJ?s big minutes, as Kiya said, if Miller was afraid of losing Payton?s ability to drive the offense.

Coach Miller should be experimenting each game for 5 minute having a Frank & Payton tandem on the court running plays for teammates, and each other. Like Boston did with their combo-guard Smart by having him in lineup alongside of Boston starter PG Walker, Kyrie, and Isaiah Thomas.

The Knicks Front-Office has a lot to do with our RAW rookie RJ Barrett receiving 36 or more minute of playing-time every game this season. I don't believe it's the Knicks head-coach decision to put our 3rd pick (RJ) in the starter lineup, or to be given above 35 minute per game. I know for a fact from watching over 25 Knick games the rookie RJ Barrett performance does not deserve above 24 minute per.
The more the Knicks keep playing rookie RJ Barrett above 35 minute per. has had RJ Barrett slip to the 8th or 9th rookie player in the challenge for the ROY.

Dotson belong in the starter lineup, and Trier should be bringing energy off the bench running scoring plays for teammates as a combo-guard.

mafra

Legend
According to @wojespn the Clippers remain interested in Marcus Morris and could be willing to trade Moe Harkless, Patrick Patterson and a 1st round pick for him. #knicks

tiger0330

Legend
According to @wojespn the Clippers remain interested in Marcus Morris and could be willing to trade Moe Harkless, Patrick Patterson and a 1st round pick for him. #knicks
Both Moe and PatPat are expiring and they're talking about the Clips 2020 pick in the deal. Seems the Clips held onto this pick in the PG deal so they would have ammo for a midseason deal like this, I'd hold out for other deals for teams that want to upgrade their roster for a playoff run, talk of trying to get Jerome Robinson in the deal from the Clips as well and Reggie Bullock to the Clips to make room.

Maybe this is caveman thinking but trade Marcus Morris for a 1st round pick and then use 2 of our 3 extra 1st round picks (other 2 from
KP deal) to get Ujiri. It?s embarrassing for us but a top front office executive is worth more than a couple late 1st round picks decided by a bad front office.

tiger0330

Legend
Maybe this is caveman thinking but trade Marcus Morris for a 1st round pick and then use 2 of our 3 extra 1st round picks (other 2 from
KP deal) to get Ujiri. It’s embarrassing for us but a top front office executive is worth more than a couple late 1st round picks decided by a bad front office.
If I'm TOR I'm holding out for the Knicks unprotected 1st this year if the Knicks want him this off season. Now the question is Ujiri worth it.

We shouldn't be trading 1st round picks for Ujiri or anybody else. As long as Magic, Phil and Gaines aren't employed then that is our direction. Magic can be had if approach right. My reason for saying that is he may have a chip on his shoulder about what went down in LA. What a bigger stage than LA... Of course it NY. So there you go!!!

As for Phil and Gaines.... Who would not like KP, Knot, Dotson, Frank and Robinson? Just think if Phil had been over the last two years draft. You would have had Knot, Porter Jr., Robinson, Jaxon Hayes, Eric Paschall and the Walker kid. In Free Agency we would have sign just 1 free agent and that would have been D. Cousins.

JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITY!!!

We shouldn't be trading 1st round picks for Ujiri or anybody else. As long as Magic, Phil and Gaines aren't employed then that is our direction. Magic can be had if approach right. My reason for saying that is he may have a chip on his shoulder about what went down in LA. What a bigger stage than LA... Of course it NY. So there you go!!!

As for Phil and Gaines.... Who would not like KP, Knot, Dotson, Frank and Robinson? Just think if Phil had been over the last two years draft. You would have had Knot, Porter Jr., Robinson, Jaxon Hayes, Eric Paschall and the Walker kid. In Free Agency we would have sign just 1 free agent and that would have been D. Cousins.

Dolan is not going to go in this direction. He is in love with Ujiri.

mafra

Legend
I wouldn?t trade picks for Massai.... not when he?s a free agent after next season. Just give Perry another offseason and then simply chase MU when he?s a free agent.

Otherwise, go after a Presti or something.

And, yes, Knox over Porter looking bad now (as it did then, at the time).

tiger0330

Legend

Know how much you respect Gaines, here is his latest tweet on RJ. The kid is 19, he's going to get better, don't see how you can stick with Frank and not with RJ, other than reach, workmanlike D he's been nothing special, RJ has even higher upside than Ntilikina imo and others opinions.

Kiyaman

Legend
Know how much you respect Gaines, here is his latest tweet on RJ. The kid is 19, he's going to get better, don't see how you can stick with Frank and not with RJ, other than reach, workmanlike D he's been nothing special, RJ has even higher upside than Ntilikina imo and others opinions.

Rookie RJ Barrett's strength lies in his great athleticism, great handle, quick first step, plus a very high b.ball IQ,
The first 27 NBA game performance we been watching from RJ are a raw skill-set performance on both sides of the court from the Knicks (FO) coaching wanting way to much from a rookie right out the gate at the beginning of his NBA career.

The reason the Knicks FO has to give Vet SF-Marcus Morris a 3 year extension contract to mentor rookie RJ in a lineup the next 3 seasons.

mafra

Legend
RJ at 23 will be a perennial all star. He?ll
Improve his shooting.... just imagine when his shot catches up to his ability to slither to the rim.

He?s only 19 and he?s already NBA strong.

RJ and MRob is a nice foundation. Now these dogs need a stud and 2 dudes and then we have something with our starting 5.

TO all in this forum. C. Gaines has forgotten more about BB than most in this forum. I respect his knowledge over all in the Knicks organization, bar none. That is the reason most of us fans should want him back under any circumstances, PERIOD.

Please read Gaines statement carefully. "Doesn't lack confidence as a shooter" Note: He didn't say he was a good or very good shooter. All players have confident in being a shooter. I totally agree with Gaines.
"He actually improved form in 2 years" - "A brick shot artist" - " With continue work he should get better". This isn't a raving review of a #3 NBA draft pick.
***This is the most troubling of his remarks.... "Hard to win in crunch time with non-shooters on the floor". What did Gaines call RJ at the start of his statement? "A non-shooter"!!! Gentleman this should be very troubling to every Knick fan. This is the man that evaluated KP and said that who we should draft. This is the man that said draft Frank, Dotson, Knot and Robinson. Sign Trier, Hicks, and Kornet.
Perry is the man that draft 'Super Mario' and then sign him with Knicks last year. These are the men(Mills & Perry) that let D. Rose, M. Beasley and Kanter walk out of the organization.

LAST QUESTION: Who would you want picking players for you.... Mills & Perry or C. Gaines??

I wouldn’t trade picks for Massai.... not when he’s a free agent after next season. Just give Perry another offseason and then simply chase MU when he’s a free agent.

Otherwise, go after a Presti or something.

And, yes, Knox over Porter looking bad now (as it did then, at the time).

Never said anything about Knox over Porter.

What I was saying that we should have traded back with the Clippers for their two 1st round picks and got both Knots and Porter Jr. That would solve future problem for us. Ex. How to cove Ben Simmon.

Sorry didn't answer your question about "sticking with Frank and not with RJ". First of all you should be very concern with Gaines Twit. I know a little something about talent from being taught what to look for from my two older brothers. Not taking the evaluations and opinions of other for the gospel for players. I can do that myself. The everyday things with a player are a given. What not are the so-call intangible. What intangible does RJ possess? None that I can see. Does he have leadership qualities? No. Does he make other around him better? NO. He is about himself and nobody else. I could go on but let stop there.
Does Frank makes those around him better. Yes Always looking to pass to his team oppose to shooting. BTW setting them up for success. Can Frank have an effect on the game if his shot isn't falling? Yes... Over an over again his number are positive. Well, let not even talk about defense. Frank is more fundamentally sound than RJ but so is Dotson.

Your opinion is duly noted. May I suggest that you look at the team and RJ as a whole. Did he earn the starting SG position? Answer Truly!! Does he move the needle for this team? Again Answer Truly(talking about a #3 overall pick - ex. Wes Unseld).
Not earning a starting job does something to the fabric of a team. Players have problem with what not being earned. Unity within team is threaten. Yeah, sure they talk a good game in front of the camera and media but what are they saying privately and under their breath. Ask yourself if you are Dotson what would you be saying, Again Answer Truly??

Hope that answer your questions.