Knicks failing to obtain Mayo on Draft Nite 08 will set the franchise back a decade.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
i always liked mayo ahead of the other two (beasley and rose), but at the same time thought he was more full of himself than the other two.

things will work out for us regardless. if he is available in the future then we should look into acquiring mayo.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I understand the statistical analysis, and how well statistically OJ Mayo has played. I went to a Memphis-Knicks game, Mayo did not impress at all, but I still realize he is good statistically. The one problem I had with Mayo, and perhaps he's cured it, is that he seems to be a bit of a headcase. He's a bit full of himself, he's not a very mature kid and I'm not sure his behavior would have improved in NY. On the court he's a great player, but off the court coaches and teammates have not been too impressed with his attitude. This is, of course, something that can be fixed, but it still has to be fixed. Someone has to take affirmative action to make this kid a good teammate and person.

Maybe it's silly to want a character guy, or guys with good personalities, but having played with and seen first hand how bad attitudes can bring a team down, I just would prefer a good character guy.

great post, and i think hes a lil overrated at the moment. i dont see him as good as some of the otha ppl see him here. do i think he'll be an allstar? of course, but do i think he'll be a megastar like some have claimed? i jst dont see that. i really wish miami drafted him, so he cud learn from one of the best (wade), be on a team with a newfound winning culture, his stellar defense wud help the scrappy heat team, and of course he can score for them. mayo+wade wud be a dream team backcourt. unfortunetely hes not in miami, hes stuck in memphis, with no coaching, gm, or owner stability, no winning culture, and a below average team. plus as kblack said his attitude has been iffy at times. if he can pull the miracle of lifting this memphis team to respectibility i will be more than willing to make the same bold statements that metro did.

metrocard

Legend
The one problem I had with Mayo, and perhaps he's cured it, is that he seems to be a bit of a headcase. He's a bit full of himself, he's not a very mature kid and I'm not sure his behavior would have improved in NY. On the court he's a great player, but off the court coaches and teammates have not been too impressed with his attitude.

Uhm.
Articles?
Where are your sources that back this up...

knickz...what rookie can win in Memphis? That team is godawful...How can Memphis even attempt to win without Mayo? Give Gay 50 shots a game?

Please, gtfo.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Just like trading for Marbury.

For once we are on the same page.

Says who? You? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Marbury trade was a good trade. Isiah Thomas was just too stupid to add the right talent to the team. Eddy Curry, Quentin Richardson, Jerome James, Jared Jeffries, Malik Rose, Channing Frye, and Steve Francis(post injury) is not what I call talent.

But, hey, you like Mardy Collins and Anthony Roberson, so you wouldn't know what talent is.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Uhm.
Articles?

knickz...what rookie can win in Memphis? That team is godawful...How can Memphis even attempt to win without Mayo? Give Gay 50 shots a game?

Please, gtfo.

lol i understand ur frustration. dont forget i think he'll be a great player, just not kobe-esque like u said. and when i say make memphis a respectable team i dont mean this year lol. he'll be there for 3 more years, and i meant if in those 3 years he can make them respectable i will agree tht hes just more than a budding-all star. if hes kobe-esque like u say he shud be able to get them in at least a low playoff spot like pau did bfore.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Says who? You? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Marbury trade was a good trade. Isiah Thomas was just too stupid to add the right talent to the team. Eddy Curry, Quentin Richardson, Jerome James, Jared Jeffries, Malik Rose, Channing Frye, and Steve Francis(post injury) is not what I call talent.

But, hey, you like Mardy Collins and Anthony Roberson, so you wouldn't know what talent is.

lol i dont kno what it is with u and tuner, but ill agree with what u jst said (though its been said bfore). the marbury trade brought hope to a team at the time had no hope. it was a neccesity to do at the time

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
lol i understand ur frustration. dont forget i think he'll be a great player, just not kobe-esque like u said. and when i say make memphis a respectable team i dont mean this year lol. he'll be there for 3 more years, and i meant if in those 3 years he can make them respectable i will agree tht hes just more than a budding-all star. if hes kobe-esque like u say he shud be able to get them in at least a low playoff spot like pau did bfore.

Metro didnt say Kobe- esque, i did.

HE can't get a low playoff spot. I meant that one day, he WILL be Kobe-Esque IN THE CLUTCH, thus getting rid of our lack of a SG problem.

The player doesn't get to the playoffs all by himself. OJ is still a rookie, he lacks consistency, but im sure one day hell get it. That memphis team is worse than us, and have one of the shittiest benches in the league. You cant win if you have players like Marko Yaric, Hamed Haddadi, Quentin Ross, adn players like that filling the bench. They have a solid three that are good overall but not great if they're your first option, with Mayo as the exception. Gay, Mayo, And Gasol. Gasol will be a good role player, maybe an all star berth if hes real promising. Gay would be a 2nd or 3rd option on a championship team. Mayo, in the future, will be completely dominant. Right now hes a little inconsistent, but whatever, hell find his stroke

If we nagged OJ MAYO

and kept the 6th pick and drafted B. Lopez

we would be making the playoffs this season.

We'd have a shotblocking center and a SG who no doubt will be Kobe-esque in the clutch, thus getting rid of our main problems

will be as in the future.

SMH at the whole Lee's agent thing:barf:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Metro didnt say Kobe- esque, i did.

HE can't get a low playoff spot. I meant that one day, he WILL be Kobe-Esque IN THE CLUTCH, thus getting rid of our lack of a SG problem.

The player doesn't get to the playoffs all by himself. OJ is still a rookie, he lacks consistency, but im sure one day hell get it. That memphis team is worse than us, and have one of the shittiest benches in the league. You cant win if you have players like Marko Yaric, Hamed Haddadi, Quentin Ross, adn players like that. They have a solid three that are good overall but not great if they're your first option, with Mayo as the exception. Gay, Mayo, And Gasol. Gasol will be a good role player, maybe an all star berth or two. Gay would be a 2nd or 3rd option on a championship team. Mayo, in the future, will be completely dominant. Right now hes a little inconsistent, but whatever, hell find his stroke

will be as in the future.

SMH at the whole Lee's agent thing:barf:

my paragraph wasnt jst directed at him, it was towards any1 who thinks mayo will be tht good. and metro did say it, look at the first post. also called him a top 3 player. i love mayo, i was begging for miami to have the balls to pick him instead of beasly, but i dont see him being that dominant. and if hes kobe-esque, within 3 years he shud at least take this team to the playoffs once.

edit, *future

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
my paragraph wasnt jst directed at him, it was towards any1 who thinks mayo will be tht good. and metro did say it, look at the first post. also called him a top 3 player. i love mayo, i was begging for miami to have the balls to pick him instead of beasly, but i dont see him being that dominant. and if hes kobe-esque, within 3 years he shud at least take this team to the playoffs once.

edit, *future

Miami already has a SG...D-Wade.

He can be that dominant. Wait. Remember it took Kobe about 3-4 seasons to really become good. and 2 more after to become dominant. He isnt going to blast off in his rookie season. give it time

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Miami already has a SG...D-Wade.

He can be that dominant. Wait. Remember it took Kobe about 3-4 seasons to really become good. and 2 more after to become dominant. He isnt going to blast off in his rookie season. give it time

d wade wud give mayo a super-star mentor to help him grow faster than he wud in memphis, and both of them are capable of being pg/sg. lol a backcourt of wade and mayo shud make everyone go crzy

metrocard

Legend

Mayo is very KOBE ESQUE.

Have you seen that man's agility with the basketball? He's already on an elite status with very little NBA experience.

You better recognize he'll be a great player, never doubted your opinion on him and his greatness.

Well man, next time you should write things in your previous post so you could avoid re-editing your thoughts.

Do you think its that easy to make Memphis that respectable? Memphis wasn't even respectable when Gasol carried them to the playoffs many seasons...they will never be respectable.

So why should that hold back OJ Mayo's credibiliy?

It shouldn't, AT ALL.

The man can play, at an elite level.

We haven't seen a rookie produce this good since Lebron (First season rookie, Mayo had a better year than Howard, Wade, Melo etc)

Mayo has the best set of skills and talent we've seen at the perimeter since Kobe in my view.

Lebron has skills, but his physical attributes are just vastly superior which attribute his dominance.

Mayo isn't a physical beast, but like Kobe he gets by with agility(ability to move to point a to point b) and his fundamental skills that make him a well defined all around player (Slashing ability, 3pt range, pull up jumper...a whole bunch of weapons in the arsenal).

Mayo is the next star...don't be oblivious to this.

We should of been targeting from the point he declared for the draft.

All the big market teams have a supestar talent/franchise player....LA with Kobe...Miami with Wade...Chicago with Rose....and New York...with well, thats where not getting OJ Mayo ****ed us.

Mayo would of put New York on the map.

We didn't even need to be a playoff team, just HAVING Mayo would of made this franchise respectable and watchable.

I'm disappointed in Walsh's lack of offers and failure to obtain Mayo.

medicore level players like Lee, Robinson, Chandler and others should of been thrown at the T'Wolves or Grizzlies to obtain Mayo.

The whole idea of getting the 3th or 5th pick + the 6...Mayo and Lopez would of blew my mind.

To all the guys complaining about moving on, I say no.

This is a Knicks related topic, I'm upset about this decesion from the past and I reflecting and assessing on it. If you got a problem with it, then debate back on why you disapprove my reflection.

KNICKS have been a failure in every draft....literally.

08 is the strongest draft since 04...how can we blow it like that? Really?

The reality of it is sinking in right because I didn't want to speak too soon on things and give it time...I guess that didn't heal anything.

I was overly positive on draft day and tried to keep the positive attitude until now.

Mayo, Augustin, and Lopez will be some really good NBA starters 2-3 seasons from now(Mayo and Lopez are already top 5-10 at their position, DJ will climb up there)

As a professional in the health and fitness field...I'm not too optimistic of Gallinari and his back problems, I have a feeling this problem will be a chronic injury that will set him back for the rest of his career...He could of been an all star caliber Hedo-clone with higher IQ...but now at this point of his career he has to settle to be a spot up shooter...so lame.

We didn't draft a terrible player, just an unhealthy one.

Mayo is most matured, well conditioned, most skilled and honestly imo most talented prospect out of this draft.

Once he gets out of Memphis, people will ride his dick and join the bandwagon.

alphad0gz

Rookie
What a load of crap

First, we had no shot at Mayo. They loved him but so did the people ahead of us. Repeat....no shot. And what the hell is "true shooting percentage"? I have looked at his stats every which way you can (courtesy of 82games.com) and believe your stat is not real. Mayo is good. Maybe very good. I'll bet Gallo will be a more valuable player due to his size and versatility.

metrocard

Legend
First, we had no shot at Mayo. They loved him but so did the people ahead of us. Repeat....no shot. And what the hell is "true shooting percentage"? I have looked at his stats every which way you can (courtesy of 82games.com) and believe your stat is not real. Mayo is good. Maybe very good. I'll bet Gallo will be a more valuable player due to his size and versatility.

Prove it.
Google.

How can you honestly say Gallo > Mayo?

Project Gallo stats at his max potential
and then project Mayo's stats at his max potential.

Amuse me.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Mayo is very KOBE ESQUE.

Have you seen that man's agility with the basketball? He's already on an elite status with very little NBA experience.

You better recognize he'll be a great player, never doubted your opinion on him and his greatness.

Well man, next time you should write things in your previous post so you could avoid re-editing your thoughts.

Do you think its that easy to make Memphis that respectable? Memphis wasn't even respectable when Gasol carried them to the playoffs many seasons...they will never be respectable.

So why should that hold back OJ Mayo's credibiliy?

It shouldn't, AT ALL.

The man can play, at an elite level.

We haven't seen a rookie produce this good since Lebron (First season rookie, Mayo had a better year than Howard, Wade, Melo etc)

Mayo has the best set of skills and talent we've seen at the perimeter since Kobe in my view.

Lebron has skills, but his physical attributes are just vastly superior which attribute his dominance.

Mayo isn't a physical beast, but like Kobe he gets by with agility(ability to move to point a to point b) and his fundamental skills that make him a well defined all around player (Slashing ability, 3pt range, pull up jumper...a whole bunch of weapons in the arsenal).

Mayo is the next star...don't be oblivious to this.

We should of been targeting from the point he declared for the draft.

All the big market teams have a supestar talent/franchise player....LA with Kobe...Miami with Wade...Chicago with Rose....and New York...with well, thats where not getting OJ Mayo ****ed us.

Mayo would of put New York on the map.

We didn't even need to be a playoff team, just HAVING Mayo would of made this franchise respectable and watchable.

I'm disappointed in Walsh's lack of offers and failure to obtain Mayo.

medicore level players like Lee, Robinson, Chandler and others should of been thrown at the T'Wolves or Grizzlies to obtain Mayo.

The whole idea of getting the 3th or 5th pick + the 6...Mayo and Lopez would of blew my mind.

To all the guys complaining about moving on, I say no.

This is a Knicks related topic, I'm upset about this decesion from the past and I reflecting and assessing on it. If you got a problem with it, then debate back on why you disapprove my reflection.

KNICKS have been a failure in every draft....literally.

08 is the strongest draft since 04...how can we blow it like that? Really?

The reality of it is sinking in right because I didn't want to speak too soon on things and give it time...I guess that didn't heal anything.

I was overly positive on draft day and tried to keep the positive attitude until now.

Mayo, Augustin, and Lopez will be some really good NBA starters 2-3 seasons from now(Mayo and Lopez are already top 5-10 at their position, DJ will climb up there)

As a professional in the health and fitness field...I'm not too optimistic of Gallinari and his back problems, I have a feeling this problem will be a chronic injury that will set him back for the rest of his career...He could of been an all star caliber Hedo-clone with higher IQ...but now at this point of his career he has to settle to be a spot up shooter...so lame.

We didn't draft a terrible player, just an unhealthy one.

Mayo is most matured, well conditioned, most skilled and honestly imo most talented prospect out of this draft.

Once he gets out of Memphis, people will ride his dick and join the bandwagon.

great post, and yea i gotta check ova ma posts after i write em lol. ive seen his skill set and agree he'll become a great great player but i cant seem to agree with u saying he'll be as good as kobe. at the end of his career, i do see mayo being a perenial all-star but jst not one of the top ten best ever like kobe.

and this has nothing to do with mayo, but imo i think melo had a better rookie season than lebron overall

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

well while i highly doubt tht'll be true 10 years from now, i do wish ur right becaue in the end gallo is the man we drafted not mayo, so im gonna keep supporting him. all we can do is hope gallo's back somehow ends up being fine, and with a lil bulk it'll be interesting to see what he can do next year.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Let me correct my self.

Durant > Mayo
Roy is pretty legit too.

I feel Mayo can get there though.

lol dont get me started on durant, jst hearing his name makes me soo jealous of the thunder. ok city and portland are prime examples for nba teams to follow on how to rebuild a team. ten years from now all three will be great but id have my order between the three of them
1. durant
2. roy
3. mayo

imo durant cud become the greatest nba scorer of all time, i think b-roy will get the most rings out of the three, and as ive said bfore i love mayo but not more than the other two.

KBlack25

Starter
Uhm.
Articles?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/2007-03-10-oj-mayo_N.htm

OJ Mayo arrested on Marijuana charges.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/oj-mayo

"[OJ Mayo] Had an off court incident, fighting with another student,"
"Allegations of receiving illegal benefits from his agent bring back old questions about his character"

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NiqueDodson/2008/05/23/Judging_OJ_Mayo_by_the_past

"Mayo went to 4 different high schools in 4 years, his profile being upped by his professional sports agent "friend of the family". Not a friend of the mother as it turns out. As it also turns out there are now allegations Mayo may have been being paid as early on as the 9th grade. He of course is denying it."

"Mayo, enraged that referee would call a foul put the senior citizen on his face on the floor by rushing him and "bumping" him to the ground. No one did anything about that one either."

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/10332595

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The L.A. Times realizes it has a phenomenon on its hands, a phenomenon we have been waiting to see for years. Could Mayo lead USC to the national title as a freshman? Yes, he could. But if you're a USC fan, leaven your ambition with some realism, because O.J. Mayo is going to cause some nasty headlines this year. He just will. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] For one thing, he's that kind of guy. If USC coach Tim Floyd is to be believed, which requires a massive leap of faith, USC didn't recruit Mayo. He recruited USC, calling Floyd last summer and declaring he would play for the Trojans, then telling Floyd not to bother recruiting other guys -- Mayo would handle that. Floyd asked for his phone number but Mayo refused to give it, telling the coach, "No, I'll call you."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] That's a story that makes Mayo look all kinds of bad, but it's a story that Floyd volunteered to the New York Times in March. If it's true, Mayo has all-pro NBA arrogance before playing his first college game. That will lead to problems over the course of a season, when shots aren't falling or teammates aren't happy or Mayo is tired of running wind sprints or attending class or doing whatever it is Floyd wants the future millionaire to do. Something ugly is going to happen this season. The only question is: Will Floyd be able to keep it from going public?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] In addition to Mayo's character flaws, he attracts guys who have their own. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3390695

Article which alleges Mayo took bribes.

Now, to clarify, I said he may have fixed these problems. There's no denying his talent, but NY is not exactly...let's say conducive...to good behavior.
[/FONT]