2010 NBA Cap Breakdown

celticpride

Rookie
_______√ictory_______;109130 said:
the knicks are to the celtics what the red sox are to the yanks(that had to had stung a bit, right? :D)

Do you actually believe that I was offended by your remark?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
OK, you just hit me over the head with that one! I really thought that we had the MLE and the cap room next summer, no way this plan is going to work. Look at best all we have is 27 million to plug up our holes at the Center position and PG -you could also say SG, but Wilson is playing good enough to supress that need for now-, not to mention we need to re-sign David Lee!

Two Words.....NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

This is what I've been saying for the last couple of months. We have $25 mil to get a PG, SG, C, resign Lee and still have enough to fill the 12 player minimum roster. Including a max-contract player is almost impossible.

This is why trading Jeffries and Curry (at the very least just Jeffries) is crucial to the whole 2010 plan. If it doesn't happen, we're screwed.

There is still a little time to get rid of Jeffries. But we don't want to wait until the deadline. We want a Plan B and act on that at the trade deadline. We have a lot of valuable expiring contracts. And if we go after the right pieces with these expiring contracts, then we can retain Lee's Bird Rights and use the MLE to get other players.

This however, is not what Donnie is going to do and unfortunately I think he is only thinking of expiring contracts and his original plan. This may come to bite us in the ass later.

The original plan was a good one and I still support it. But that was under the impression that Jeffries and Curry could have been traded. Time to rethink the plan and maybe go in a different route.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
So, can a team pay a max contract player in increments as they like over consecutive seasons? Say $15.75m in 2010-11 and then in 2011-12 jump up to $10m more for the sake of saving some cash.

In NY's case leaving some salary space for the sake of filling a stunted roster..

I doubt they can, but it seems like a quick fix with Curry and Jefferies hanus contracts looking less likely to be shipped out.

This is a good thread by the way. Great start for me here.

Thanks.

Welcome to the site!

To answer your question, no. There can be incremental increases in a player's salary but only a certain percentage.

ANU

Starter
This is what I've been saying for the last couple of months. We have $25 mil to get a PG, SG, C, resign Lee and still have enough to fill the 12 player minimum roster. Including a max-contract player is almost impossible.

This is why trading Jeffries and Curry (at the very least just Jeffries) is crucial to the whole 2010 plan. If it doesn't happen, we're screwed.

There is still a little time to get rid of Jeffries. But we don't want to wait until the deadline. We want a Plan B and act on that at the trade deadline. We have a lot of valuable expiring contracts. And if we go after the right pieces with these expiring contracts, then we can retain Lee's Bird Rights and use the MLE to get other players.

This however, is not what Donnie is going to do and unfortunately I think he is only thinking of expiring contracts and his original plan. This may come to bite us in the ass later.

The original plan was a good one and I still support it. But that was under the impression that Jeffries and Curry could have been traded. Time to rethink the plan and maybe go in a different route.
it sucks but what are we going to do? this is one of the reasons why lee needs to get traded.donnie is going to have to buy a couple of 2nd rounders, and make a push for lebron.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
Welcome to the site!

To answer your question, no. There can be incremental increases in a player's salary but only a certain percentage.

Thanks a lot...

Sorry, I have one more question because I'm basically confused about all the ins and outs of the umpteen conditions surrounding the cap.

Does the league have some sort of rule that'd not necessarily ban Cablevision from a huge advertising endorsement for X max free agent but monitor it and fine the Knicks for swindling the cap rules?

Can't Dolan offer James/Wade (who I don't want as a Knick) his own show? His own channel!?

Or even offer Nike something similar...? Nike then could add it's income to James brand contract...

Thanks again!

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
it sucks but what are we going to do? this is one of the reasons why lee needs to get traded.donnie is going to have to buy a couple of 2nd rounders, and make a push for lebron.

I agree that with all the ifs surrounding NY's 2010 do or die situation that we need to get something for an upcoming free agent.

Obviously next season will have it's roster improvements and our team will improve, but with 3 teams ahead of us in the FA race, we'll come away with nothing if we don't force some action.

I like the mentioned Lee + Nate for Butler & McGee.

A 2,3,4,5 of Butler, Chandler, Gallo and McGee sounds pretty awesome to me. The only question mark would be the PG. I really hope it's not Duhon.

The guy's gotta be the most played spaz in the NBA.

I agree that with all the ifs surrounding NY's 2010 do or die situation that we need to get something for an upcoming free agent.

Obviously next season will have it's roster improvements and our team will improve, but with 3 teams ahead of us in the FA race, we'll come away with nothing if we don't force some action.

I like the mentioned Lee + Nate for Butler & McGee.

A 2,3,4,5 of Butler, Chandler, Gallo and McGee sounds pretty awesome to me. The only question mark would be the PG. I really hope it's not Duhon.

The guy's gotta be the most played spaz in the NBA.
i agree.i swear to god if duhon is our point guard next year, I'm going to be ****ing pissed.

i think having assets like chandler, gallo, mcgee, hill, butler, douglas would be the best thing for this franchise going into the off season.

we would have a couple of scenario's where players(any combination of the players we'd have then) along with a future first round pick( i know its not the kind of situation we enjoy being in now) could be dealt on draft night for a high draft pick like wall, evan turner, or paul george or even make a play for chris paul in some sort of package.

in this scenario i'd offer chandler,butler, gallinari and a future first round pick for wall(i think that'd be the asking price for the first).if it goes through, i'd play td and wall in the backcourt.we'd automatically be one of the most athletic teams in the league.a far cry from today.

douglas
wall
james?
hill
mcgee

in this scenario i'd try to deal butler and hill for evan turner. play him in the back court with james.

turner
james ?
wil
gallo
mcgee

in this scenario i'd try to deal butler, gallinari, mcgee and a future first for chris paul.

paul
james?
wil
?
hill

either way butler would be valuable to a team like the t-wolves, (who won't have a crack at the top free agents) being an all star caliber player, he would be an expiring so if they get to decide if they want to sign him.I'm looking at the t-wolves and the warriors as the favorites to land wall, and i think that turner is number 2.the guy is a brandon roy/granger hybrid, who can do it all.a legit 6-6 who could be a triple double machine.

bottom line is, the team is going to have to be intelligently "proactive" in trying to acquire a franchise player.this season is going into the shitter, and donnie is going to look lazy if he doesn't try and make any moves.the izards are in the dumps.they can only go up from here.that's just how it is.we have to capitalize on there misfortune.we gotta cash out as soon as possible.

harrington+lee+nate for mcgee+butler should get it done.i'd even include mobley's contract to give them more cap relief.

Last edited:

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
That's a great scenario, but has anything that ambitious ever happened in the NBA?

I don't think offering Chandler, Gallo, Butler and a pick is very realistic that's all. Not in the eyes of the management anyway.

Thumbs up for being positive though.

But let's face it..... Dream scenarios aren't realistic when 2 opponents are trying to get the upper hand on one another.

obviously I'm thinking ahead.way ahead, but that's one of the reasons why i'd do that knicks wizards swap.just for the possibility.a team like the wolves is a terribly built team.that's why i said they're could be different scenarios involving the players.they have 2 power forwards who have similr games playing in the frontline, they need an actual center, and even though it would be difficult to part with mcgee, if you can get wall, you got to get him.

ANU

Starter
from knicks blog.
As always we urge that you the fans submit your thoughts on the Knicks to
act_josh_howard.jpg
[email protected]. Our boy Mucha sent me the following, and I?ve seen Dallas as a potential trade partner as well. His thoughts make sense.
??What?s good TD?
Hey I think this is worth discussing ? tell me what you think about it. A trade thread would be interesting in my opinion.
According to ESPN ? The New York Knicks are using $53 million as their operating number ?
Danilo Gallinari : $3.304 million
Jordan Hill : $2.669 million
Toney Douglas : $1.071 million
Wilson Chandler : $2.130 million
Jared Jeffries : $6.883 million

Eddy Curry : $11.276 million
David Lee?s caphold : $10.5 million

Payroll = $37.833 million
Remaining capspace : $15.167 million

LeBron James : $15.9 million (30% of the total salary cap)

The Knicks will not have enough capspace to retain David Lee?s rights. Hate it or love it, the LeBron sweepstakes are the priority regardless. The Knicks will lose David Lee for nothing if they can?t get rid of Jared Jeffries or Eddy Curry so why not trade Lee with Jeffries or Curry in a major salary dump considering that his trade value is high?
The best trade partners might be the Dallas Mavericks. Why? 1. They want to win now 2. Josh Howard (who?s not playing particularly well) has a great contract 3. They will not have enough capspace to sign significant free agents in 2010 4. David Lee will not veto any trade to the Mavericks because they?ll make the playoffs 5. Mark Cuban is willing to spend. Perfect.
David Lee, Marcus Landry and Eddy Curry for Josh Howard and Drew Gooden?
David Lee, Jared Jeffries and Marcus Landry for Josh Howard?
Al Harrington and Jared Jeffries for Josh Howard, Drew Gooden and Quinton Ross (BiggieSmalls)?
Thoughts? Feel free to submit your own below?
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2010/01/13/fan-trade-thread/

most telling was this bit.

The Knicks will not have enough capspace to retain David Lee?s rights. Hate it or love it, the LeBron sweepstakes are the priority regardless.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I like the Lee + Curry + Landry for Howard + Gooden.

That's not a bad idea. Getting rid of Curry would be huge. Dallas might go for it but it's unlikely. The other ideas aren't so good. I think we can get more for Lee.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
^

I think we'd have to throw Chandler in to replace Howard for the Mavs.

For the sake of getting rid of that titty having mess Curry though..... I wouldn't mind losing Chandler at all. Harrington'd be my preference to lose as opposed to Chandler, but his salary is what..? $10m?