2018 NBA Free Agency

tiger0330

Legend
5 of the top 7 picks in the 2015 draft now play in NYC. Weird.

As an aside, if you believe reports, Fizdale has turned into a huge weapon for this franchise even without ever actually having coached a game for us. Man, I sure hope the man lives up to the hype for us.
He's a can't miss to me, the way guys connect with him, he's a proponent of the modern game pace&space, 3&D. He understands the nuances of the highly competitive NBA where a few buckets separates the top team from the bottom team.

I like his drilling guys not to miss easy buckets, all his assistants are development guys so hopefully the 3 pt shooting improves. I'm sure he's pulled out the analytics of if the 3pt shooting improves by just 3%, how many more games a team wins. I can't remember so many players getting together so far ahead of training camp working on their games together, not Horn, Fish, Woodie, though Woodie had a veteran group and Fiz has a bunch of young guns.

mafra

Legend
All I care about seeing this year is ball movement on offense and being active and engaged on defense. If they compete for 48 minutes and play unselfish team basketball... I?m cool with it no matter the result.

tiger0330

Legend
I think I said the same defense, ball movement, conditioning. He's got to bring out every bit of talent these guys have, which implies theres untapped potential, if its not there I'd expect we'll know by Dec.

tiger0330

Legend
My prediction for the most likely bust this year, he fell in the draft and no wonder, even the great Danny Ainge makes mistakes.

[h=1]Late again: Celtics' Robert Williams misses flight, then first summer league practice[/h]

tiger0330

Legend
Lakers gonna be wild next yr

That is wild the King and his nemesis LS on the same team. Can't put the ball in the basket but a crowd pleasing energy guy. I doubt he got more than a 1 yr deal and the likelihood is he's on some other team next year.

mafra

Legend
JaVale McGee and the Lakers have agreed on a one-year deal, according to ESPN's Chris Haynes.
The deal is worth the veteran's minimum and it's a coup for the Lakers, who get an athletic rim-protector at a bargain price. Better yet from L.A.'s perspective, they're taking him away from the defending champ Warriors. McGee could have situational fantasy appeal depending what other moves L.A. makes, but is likely to slot into a 15-20 minute backup role.

mafra

Legend
An NBA source close to Hezonja said, ?The main reason is David Fizdale. He sold him. The goal is to be here long term and finish his career. He was a fan of the team growing up.?

One NBA scout called him ?a tease.??

?Hezonja is an enigma to me,?? another scout said. ?He looked promising as a rookie only to regress until the second part of this past season. He looked awful the first half. Poor instincts, didn?t shoot it well. The second part, a light came on for a bit. But he?ll wind up being suited as a small stretch 4 versus his natural position at 3. His youth makes him worth a flier, as he can shoot and still has development potential.?

tiger0330

Legend
MH one of those guys that has to step up and be consistent on both sides of the ball. Length and athleticism to be a modern day NBA player. I'd say if he signed a longer deal it would be rolling the dice, with a one year deal and the role he should get here we get to kick the tires and see if might be part of the future. None of these one and done guys the Knicks have signed have ever panned out, we will see with Mario.

Kiyaman

Legend
Lakers gonna be wild next yr

Today! the Lakers moved from being a young interesting .400 team to a 50 plus win season team !!!
Player/Coach King Lebron, plus two top defensive players Lance Stephenson and JaVale McGee ..
Who will be the next FA to join the Lakers this month ???

tiger0330

Legend
Today! the Lakers moved from being a young interesting .400 team to a 50 plus win season team !!!
Player/Coach King Lebron, plus two top defensive players Lance Stephenson and JaVale McGee ..
They just picked up a center but I wonder if Dwight would go back to LA after his buyout. He'd have to take the minimum and would probably lose money in the deal because the Nets will probably not buy him out for 20M. It didn't work with Harden in Houston and the Lakers would probably pass unless Lebron said I want him playing on my team, he would be a good pickup for the minimum though and you know DH is dying to win some jewelry.

Broadway

All Star

No they haven't this ain't the EAST, he moved out West where it's different. The West almost had 10 teams win 50gms last yr and most of those teams got better, even the bad ones along with Lakers. Phx will be better, Kings will be better, Mavs will be better, heck even Grizzlies if Conley comes back 100% will be better

It's a 52/30 split on the season meaning Lebron now has to play 52 of his games against the West no longer 52 against the East. They're going to fight to make the playoffs in the same manner Kobe did his first coupl yrs broke off from Shaq

Kiyaman

Legend
It was a bad mistweet by Woj and he deleted and as we can see corrected.

Hell Yeah man I wanted this kid in 2015. Our team is about to be litty I wanted Hezonja and Mudiay in trade down scenarios in the 2015 draft....Lo and Behold they're both Knicks I can't believe this

WOW! Knicks coach Fiz has a remarkable big job on his shoulders next season getting Mudiay/Timmy/Hezonja/ Knox/and Kanter to be competitive on the defensive end of the court. In a lineup the 5 players mention above are all known for having weak-defense as their main weakness on the court .. a pick n roll switching opponent would get all 5 Knicks players confused on the defensive-end !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
No they haven't this ain't the EAST, he moved out West where it's different. The West almost had 10 teams win 50gms last yr and most of those teams got better, even the bad ones along with Lakers. Phx will be better, Kings will be better, Mavs will be better, heck even Grizzlies if Conley comes back 100% will be better

It's a 52/30 split on the season meaning Lebron now has to play 52 of his games against the West no longer 52 against the East. They're going to fight to make the playoffs in the same manner Kobe did his first coupl yrs broke off from Shaq

The Lakers started last season having a young-core of winning players that were just as competitive as the West 9th, 8th, and 7th post-season teams Nuggets/Wolves/and Spurs .. it were injuries and trades that destroyed the Lakers from winning 12 or 13 more games last season.
This off-season free-agent market belongs to the Lakers .. especially If the 2017-18 improve performance of double-double Randal decide to resign with the Lakers, plus if the Lakers find a team to trade Luol Deng contract to before the Feb. dead-line ???
Kobe was never on Lebron 2-Way level performance at so many positions !!!

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
The Lakers started last season having a young-core of winning players that were just as competitive as the West 9th, 8th, and 7th post-season teams Nuggets/Wolves/and Spurs .. it were injuries and trades that destroyed the Lakers from winning 12 or 13 more games last season.
This off-season free-agent market belongs to the Lakers .. especially If the 2017-18 improve performance of double-double Randal decide to resign with the Lakers, plus if the Lakers find a team to trade Luol Deng contract to before the Feb. dead-line ???
Kobe was never on Lebron 2-Way level performance at so many positions !!!

Very misleading what you said...would be true if injuries were only static to the Lakers. Go through every team in the West, file their injury reports from last yr and get back with me. I'll give you a nice head start by suggesting 2 teams the Grizzlies and Spurs

Besides Ball and Ingram the Lakers were relatively healthy...the two of them almost played 60gms a piece

mafra

Legend
Rajon Rondo has agreed to a deal with the Lakers, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

Rondo's contract with Los Angeles will reportedly be a one-year deal at $9 million, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with Lonzo Ball now that Rondo is with the club. For what it's worth, Rondo is reportedly coming to camp with plans of competing for the starting point guard position, so this certainly has the potential to devolve into a value-killing, timeshare situation between Ball and Rondo. Rondo's departure from New Orleans should result in an uptick in usage for Jrue Holiday.

The Lakers have renounced Julius Randle, making him an unrestricted free agent.

With the Lakers rescinding Randle's qualifying offer, they'll free up roughly $13.8 million in cap space, so expect another move to follow from Los Angeles. As for Randle, if he can wind up landing in a spot where he's able to start and earn at least 30 minutes a night, he shouldn't have much trouble at all churning out top-90 value.

tiger0330

Legend
Rajon Rondo has agreed to a deal with the Lakers, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

Rondo's contract with Los Angeles will reportedly be a one-year deal at $9 million, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with Lonzo Ball now that Rondo is with the club. For what it's worth, Rondo is reportedly coming to camp with plans of competing for the starting point guard position, so this certainly has the potential to devolve into a value-killing, timeshare situation between Ball and Rondo. Rondo's departure from New Orleans should result in an uptick in usage for Jrue Holiday.

The Lakers have renounced Julius Randle, making him an unrestricted free agent.

With the Lakers rescinding Randle's qualifying offer, they'll free up roughly $13.8 million in cap space, so expect another move to follow from Los Angeles. As for Randle, if he can wind up landing in a spot where he's able to start and earn at least 30 minutes a night, he shouldn't have much trouble at all churning out top-90 value.
Capologist Bobby Marks reports the Lakers have 5.6M in cap space after signing Rondo and renouncing Randle. Looks like they renounced Randle in order to sign Rondo. I posted an article in Kiyas Lebron thread about a possible conflict between Lebron and Lavar, benching Lonzo for Rondo might turn this into WW3.

mafra

Legend
Randle signs with Pelicans. I think if you renounce Randle and sign Rondo... given history between Lavar and LJ... Ball is a goner.