2019 NBA Free Agency Thread

DRose to Pistons.

As an aside, only the Knicks could trade away a guy with a torn ACL and not sign a guy with a torn Achilles and look bad.

mafra

Legend
Let?s Remember, a young KD couldn?t win with Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka...

Irving couldn?t be man in BOS...

This is great for Nets and might mean title in 2020-2021 season...

But you know it wouldn?t work for Knicks. Somebody must pay for it not happening... but I don?t know if KD-KI wins a title next 4 years.

mafra

Legend
Dave McMenamin

@mcten
Lakers free agent guard Reggie Bullock has a free agency meeting planned with the Knicks in Los Angeles on Sunday night, sources told ESPN. The six-year vet is a career 39 pct 3-point shooter.

Marc Berman
@NYPost_Berman
Pelicans young big Julius Randle moves bigger on radar for Knicks, per source. Has plenty of potential but still hasn?t proven to be defensive-minded.

mafra

Legend
Ramona Shelburne

@ramonashelburne
The Knicks and owner Jim Dolan were not prepared to offer Kevin Durant a full max contract due to concerns over his recovery from the Achilles injury, league sources tell me and @wojespn. Knicks officials are in Los Angeles tonight, meeting with free agents such as Julius Randle.

A true post from 1 NYK fan:

Couldn't have said it better than LP did in the last thread:

"For most of my Knicks fan life, we were trading for guys or signing guys who were coming off massive injuries and hoping they?d return to form ? McDyess, DRose, Noah, Amar?e, Curry, Larry Johnson, etc

Now, we?re getting killed for not signing guys who are coming off massive injuries in Porzingis and Durant (not to mention Kyrie with his knees)? and frankly, I?m fine with it.

???-

Even as this is ?same old Knicks? it still somehow feels different this time b/c we?re being rescued from repeating mistakes we?ve made in the past.

So, as we endure another low point in being a NYK fan... there?s still hope things are moving in the right direction.

Randle and Bullock won?t make us forget that today another fail in a long list of failure.... still, they probably make us better than Nets next season and that?s a good start.

mafra

Legend
David Aldridge
Knicks will meet in Beverly Hills with Lakers UFA Reggie Bullock tonight, per source. He?s ready to commit to a strong offer from New York, though L.A. still would like to keep him and there are other teams also looking to get in front of him.

mafra

Legend
Adrian Wojnarowski
Free agent Julius Randle has agreed to a three-year, $63M deal with the New York Knicks, CAA agents Aaron Mintz and Steve Heumann tell ESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski
Free agent Julius Randle has agreed to a three-year, $63M deal with the New York Knicks, CAA agents Aaron Mintz and Steve Heumann tell ESPN.

Hmm. We got a guy who makes sense for us. Did we overpay? 3 year deal seems reasonable, but exceeds what Perry said we wanted to do.

mafra

Legend
Hmm. We got a guy who makes sense for us. Did we overpay? 3 year deal seems reasonable, but exceeds what Perry said we wanted to do.

Crazy thing is it?s still less than what we paid THjr, and half what KP is making (and a case can be made Randle the wiser investment especially given cost).

21 mil a year for 3 years .... certainly was bracing for worse.

Ramona Shelburne

@ramonashelburne
The Knicks and owner Jim Dolan were not prepared to offer Kevin Durant a full max contract due to concerns over his recovery from the Achilles injury, league sources tell me and @wojespn. Knicks officials are in Los Angeles tonight, meeting with free agents such as Julius Randle.

A true post from 1 NYK fan:

Couldn't have said it better than LP did in the last thread:

"For most of my Knicks fan life, we were trading for guys or signing guys who were coming off massive injuries and hoping they?d return to form ? McDyess, DRose, Noah, Amar?e, Curry, Larry Johnson, etc

Now, we?re getting killed for not signing guys who are coming off massive injuries in Porzingis and Durant (not to mention Kyrie with his knees)? and frankly, I?m fine with it.

???-

Even as this is ?same old Knicks? it still somehow feels different this time b/c we?re being rescued from repeating mistakes we?ve made in the past.

So, as we endure another low point in being a NYK fan... there?s still hope things are moving in the right direction.

Randle and Bullock won?t make us forget that today another fail in a long list of failure.... still, they probably make us better than Nets next season and that?s a good start.

Sigh. So we are getting killed by the entire world because we ?lost? to the Nets, but we didn?t offer Durant a max contract because he is a guy in his 30s with a torn Achilles and maybe we didn?t want Kyrie because he is a team killer? It?s like the front office and I were actually on the same page. I?m scared.

Good news is that we got a guy who can score, including stretching the floor, rebound, and is a decent passer. Bad news is we added another guy who doesn?t play defense very well.

That starting lineup of MRob, Randle, Knox, RJ, and DSJ will be fun on offense, but will be brutal on defense unless MRob blocks 15 shots a game.

mafra

Legend
Sigh. So we are getting killed by the entire world because we ?lost? to the Nets, but we didn?t offer Durant a max contract because he is a guy in his 30s with a torn Achilles and maybe we didn?t want Kyrie because he is a team killer? It?s like the front office and I were actually on the same page. I?m scared.

I know. Feels weird to blast team for not making same type of moves they always make.

Signing Randle was my main hope, after a KD/KL pipe dream.

We now have a solid young team to root for... we have tons of picks and work still to be done.

mafra

Legend
The three-year, $63 million deal Julius Randle agreed to with the New York Knicks contains a team option on the final year, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks had hopes of landing a big fish in free agency with two of their max slots, but instead they will be paying up for Randle. The former Pelicans big man should be surrounded by subpar scorers and ball-handlers, so he'll get every opportunity to put up monster numbers. Randle showed he can thrive in a featured role after the break last season, averaging 24.6 points, 7.6 boards, 3.5 dimes, 0.9 steals and 1.4 treys. He may put up similar numbers with the Knicks next season.

The three-year, $63 million deal Julius Randle agreed to with the New York Knicks contains a team option on the final year, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

I like that year 3 is a team option. High upside low downside signing. Everyone will make fun of us online, as usual, but we actually have something that resembles a sensible young rotation rather than a bunch of guys who can?t fit together.

For those who want Mills and Perry fired, no way that happens if they have been following Dolan?s orders. They could be the toast of the town right now, but instead Dolan said no. Wonder if Mills or Perry leaked that info that Dolan said no max deal for Durant and maybe said no to Kyrie by himself.

mafra

Legend
?Three months ago that was one confident front office,? one NBA GM said. ?It?s crazy what happened.?

?They just have to stick to their plan,?? said one NBA source close to the Knicks.

??-
To be fair, things changed last month so this is misleading... Maybe it?s true NY started to get cold feet after Achilles snapped and was backing off max talk... Maybe it?s true that hesitation and unwillingness opened door for Nets. Maybe it did or maybe it didn?t.

We?ll never know how this plays out if KD were healthy.

But the narrative KD didn?t want NYK bc of dolan is nonsense. KD didn?t know about Dolan as the owner until recently? He knew, and yet the interest was there?

If Perry hits on Wilks or Iggy, and last year?s class continues to ball... and the addition of Randle has this team competitive... 41-41 type club... then Perry and NYK brand will turn 180 next summer.

Add a shooter like Bolluck or a defensive guard like Beverly... a backup big... this team could be fun.