46 million in expiring contracts

smokes

Huge Member
If Paul were to leave it wouldn't only be for money though, for some players winning is very important and he has nothing supporting him to a decent standard in NO, at least no guys that can step up when it matters. West is suppose to be a great player and he did jack shit in the playoffs, they got totally dominated.

Loyalty is one thing, but I certainly wouldn't blame someone wanting to leave a sinking ship. Ewing had success here, not a championship but he got close, he didn't have any reason to leave. I really hope Orlando win this year so he can be part of a championship winning team, he deserves it.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I am not 100% on how it works, but the max contract can't be more than 20 mil. The 1st year should be less like 17,18 mil too I imagine.

Is Cleveland's core any more desirable than ours? Mo Williams and Varajao..thats all that is guaranteed to be there after next year. Lebron James wins wherever he goes, so winning won't be his issue. After the Knickssigning him there will still be time to get another player to compliment him through future trades or FA.

If they were to sign Lebron, I think they can find a way to play everybody together without it being a distraction. I don't want to get into it too much with who plays what position, but I just think it shouldn't be a reason not to go after a player of that caliber.

Thats true about the consequences of resigning Lee and Robinson..but I would rather take that risk and if there is a trade, you get to include Curry and/or Jefferies involved. If you include Curry/Jefferies now..you don't get anything in return. If you include Curry/Jefferies a year from now, you could get value back because both would be expiring contracts. You put in Lee or Robinson + a future draft pick you might be able to get a good long term player to compliment the max contract FA signing.

The 3 scenarios I favor is
-Trade Lee/Robinson + Curry/Jefferies for a long term contract 1 year from now. While signing a max contract FA.
-Sign and trade Lee/Robinson now, but for cheap players/draft picks + expiring contracts that will help in the long term.
-Sign both Lee/Robinson and just sign 1 max FA player next offseason.

I don't favor:
-Trading Lee/Robinson + Harrington/Hughes/Richardson because it will prevent any max contract FA signing from happening next year, which even though it is not certain, it is our best chance of going from shit to a championship contender in 1 year.
- Getting nothing from Lee/Robinson
- Trading Lee/Robinson/8th pick with Curry/Jefferies for a Larry Hughes type worthless, expiring contract. Even though it gets more cap space, I feel like its worth the risk to wait and see if a better deal comes up in the future.

I agree, thanks for debating without any insults. It does not happen often enough on here.

To answer your first question, I do beleive Clev's core is better than ours in 2010. Reason being is that they have Mo Williams who has served as Lebron's sidekick. You could make the claim that Nate could be that sort of player, but that is a stretch.

The scenerio I like the most is getting draft picks and contracts for Nate and/Lee. Truthfully I think we can get away with signing Nate to a MLE sort of deal, or even signing him to the qualifying offer. I don't see there being too big a market for him, especially since Ben Gordon is a unrestricted FA, so teams in the market for a combo guard will look at him first, not to mention combo guards come a dime a dozen nowadays, thus hurting Nate's value.

Now I would love to see Lee paired up on the same frontcourt as Amare or Bosh, I think David needs to be paired up with shot blocking, low post scoring big men; so to me if we resign David we must be going after them and not Lebron.

To touch on a point you made earlier, we could execute a sign and trade for a quality player using maybe Wilson, or whoever we draft plus Curry and Jefferies and there then one year deals to make the numbers work. But, that would mean we made a solid pick and they show something special next year, and Wilson continues to develop to the point teams covet him, as much as I like Wilson, I think teams are a little on the fence about him because he can still either turn into a player like Danny Granger or a talented player who never sticks with a team like Ron Mercer (had to slip a UK shoutout in there).

Look the worst thing Isiah did (and there is a lot to choose from) was he was impatient, so any change from any part of his philosophy should be welcomed with open arms, so the fact that Donnie is preaching patience is cool to me, but it is also a little risky.

ANU

Starter
to be honest new NNY, i think a lee, chandler, gallinari core is better than what cleveland has.if he had those players i think he'd be in the finals right now.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
to be honest new NNY, i think a lee, chandler, gallinari core is better than what cleveland has.if he had those players i think he'd be in the finals right now.

uhh what??? lol maybe in 3 years but gallo is jst a spot up shooter atm. chandler is a "ill give u 20 pts one night and 10 the other" guy still, and lee is consistent but isnt a defensive presence. in a couple of years i cud envision gallo becoming a star, and wilson becoming a nice complement, but at this moment cleveland has a beta cast than ny

ANU

Starter
uhh what??? lol maybe in 3 years but gallo is jst a spot up shooter atm. chandler is a "ill give u 20 pts one night and 10 the other" guy still, and lee is consistent but isnt a defensive presence. in a couple of years i cud envision gallo becoming a star, and wilson becoming a nice complement, but at this moment cleveland has a beta cast than ny

knicks vs orlando this season
L 109-114
L 103-110
L 102-106
W 105-95.
those loses where close, with lebron, they win all those games.:peace:

JayJ44

Starter

All the Cavs have is spot up shooters. Not one guy on that team can create his own shot. All of their offense comes from Lebron making plays for them.

We have guys that can slash to the basket and create for themselves and others in Nate, Duhon, and even Gallo (couldn't do as much of that because of his back, will show much more slashing ability this season). Chandler can score well for himself at times, and will probably be more consistent next season.

If the Knicks were to face the Cavs minus Lebron, in a 7 game series, I'm positive the Knicks would win.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
knicks vs orlando this season
L 109-114
L 103-110
L 102-106
W 105-95.
those loses where close, with lebron, they win all those games.:peace:

thts b/c the turk-lewis combo isnt as deadly compared to us. we have ppl who can somewhat contain them. they stickin like delonte west on turk, while we'd put chandler or harrington on him

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
All the Cavs have is spot up shooters. Not one guy on that team can create his own shot. All of their offense comes from Lebron making plays for them.

We have guys that can slash to the basket and create for themselves and others in Nate, Duhon, and even Gallo (couldn't do as much of that because of his back, will show much more slashing ability this season). Chandler can score well for himself at times, and will probably be more consistent next season.

If the Knicks were to face the Cavs minus Lebron, in a 7 game series, I'm positive the Knicks would win.

they have size, and more grit than us. id say cavs in 6 personally. and gallo was not tht great this year. thts why i made a point saying in a couple of years our cast will be beta but not now. chandler is overrated THIS YEAR. he wasnt overalll as some ppl make him seem to be, but hes young, so i think he'll become a very good playerin a couple of years. duhon has proven hes garbage. im not saying its a huge differnce but the cavs have the beta cast

ANU

Starter
thts b/c the turk-lewis combo isnt as deadly compared to us. we have ppl who can somewhat contain them. they stickin like delonte west on turk, while we'd put chandler or harrington on him
which is why with this team, he'd be in the finals.:beer:

JayJ44

Starter
they have size, and more grit than us. id say cavs in 6 personally. and gallo was not tht great this year. thts why i made a point saying in a couple of years our cast will be beta but not now. chandler is overrated THIS YEAR. he wasnt overalll as some ppl make him seem to be, but hes young, so i think he'll become a very good playerin a couple of years. duhon has proven hes garbage. im not saying its a huge differnce but the cavs have the beta cast

Size? They have Ilgaulskus who does nothing but shoot open jumpers. He's barely a post threat, and is one of the slowest players in the league.

Grit? What good does grit do when you don't have any talent.

Gallo was playing on a bad back this year. Even so, he was our best shooter, and probably our smartest player. He would be the best shooter on the Cavs.

Chandler was, by far, our best defensive player. He showed slashing ability, and a decent shooting touch. His shot selection was questionable at times, but his talent is undeniable.

The Cavs do not have the better cast. Knicks>>>Cavs without Lebron. That's a fact.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Size? They have Ilgaulskus who does nothing but shoot open jumpers. He's barely a post threat, and is one of the slowest players in the league.

Grit? What good does grit do when you don't have any talent.

Gallo was playing on a bad back this year. Even so, he was our best shooter, and probably our smartest player. He would be the best shooter on the Cavs.

Chandler was, by far, our best defensive player. He showed slashing ability, and a decent shooting touch. His shot selection was questionable at times, but his talent is undeniable.

The Cavs do not have the better cast. Knicks>>>Cavs without Lebron. That's a fact.

Agree. Look at those big men overall. Varejao is a hustle guy, thats why hes so effective.

Z is a shooter
Joe Smith is old
Big Ben ain't in a Piston jersey anymore, so forget about it. The day he left Auburn hills is the day his career went downhill. I actually heard on TNT he's considering retirement.

Gallo was our best shooter. He shot above 40% from 3, didn't he. He can make his own shot instead of having to set players up. I want to see him play 80 games next year. I feel he can become a great player, if kept healthy.

Chandler was also our best shot blocker. I know that ain't saying much, but imagine a statline of 16ppg 6rpg and 1-1.5 bpg? That would be one hell of a role player. He needs to slash a little more, and take smarter shots. Oh, and his 3point percentage obviously needs improvement.

Lee>Varejao

However, i think Mo Williams, can create his own shot.

Knicks over NoLebrons in 7.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Ok, so I just read an article that said the The Knicks can still trade Cutino Mobley's contract bringing us to a total of 46 million in expiring contracts, those contracts are

Larry Hughes 13.6
Al Harrington 10
Cuttino Mobley 9.5 (and 7 of which insurance pays for)
Q Rich 9.3
Duhon 6

So actually 47 milllion in expiring contracts. Cuttino Mobley's contract is the most valuable because it makes a trade work numbers wise, but the team receiving him does only has to pay like 2 million of that salary. Now add these contracts with a player like Chandler and we can nab an A Player. We can also accompany whoever we draft this year with one of these contracts for another came changer.

So back to the point I have been making since the season ended, why wait until 2010. Right now if Donnie sticks to his 2010 plan it means letting Lee and/or Nate go or relying on Curry to come back to camp in shape and playing at a high enough level a team would take him for an expiring contract.

My plan allows for us to trade for top notch player (albeit not Lebron or D-Wade type players) while possibly keeping David or Nate if we want. New Orleans would take Cuttino Mobley's contract for Chandler in a heartbeat (no pun intended), they for save in cap long term and in actually monies this season almost the same way they would've in the deal OKC rescinded on. With the shot blocker in place we can now keep Lee.

Ok, time to reconsider this! Look with news that the NBA Cap could be as low as 50 million next year the Knicks now have to consider plan B! If that projected figure is accurate, then the Knicks have four less million in expiring contracts than the projected cap, meaning it would be intelligent to consider trading those contracts, keeping Lee and Nate, and building that way.

Players on the Block who teams could look to move for cap purposes that we could use plus contracts we have that match their numbers

Carlos Boozer: Salary Identical to Hughes' contract, or Cuttino's and Sene would work too
Monta Ellis (Now that Curry is there): Cuttino's or Hughes works
Boris Diaw: Cuttino Darko or Millic
Josh Howard: Cuttino or Al Harrington
Kirk Hinrich: Darko's or Al Harrington
Tyson Chandler: Al Harrington or Cuttino
Baron Davis: Larry Hughes

Look even if we move Curry we would have to give up Lee and Nate too just to have a shot at two superstars. I would rather add a couple of All Star players to what we have, than to let Lee and Nate go either in a trade just to move Curry or Jefferies or a trade to save on their salary cost just at a shot at two players who may not even come.

Again, no championship team has ever been built in relying on the cap to work for them. Trades is how you do it, teams will still be trying to get under the cap for 2010.

Last edited: