According to inside source "Sessions is still a priortiy" of Donnie Walsh

nyk_nyk

All Star
Why would Sessions or his agent agree to a non-guaranteed second year deal? Sessions and many other players' main concern is security. If your an agent, you try to get your client a multi-year deal to at least set him up nicely for a few years.

We as Knick fans want him to take a 1 yr guaranteed deal because of our 2010 goal but Sessions has to look out for his family and himself first when it comes to compensation. As much as I would like him on the team, I totally understand his situation.

Why would Sessions or his agent agree to a non-guaranteed second year deal? Sessions and many other players' main concern is security. If your an agent, you try to get your client a multi-year deal to at least set him up nicely for a few years.

We as Knick fans want him to take a 1 yr guaranteed deal because of our 2010 goal but Sessions has to look out for his family and himself first when it comes to compensation. As much as I would like him on the team, I totally understand his situation.

I would agree with you if he had a multi-year offer....but his only other option is a 1-year deal from the Bucks. The Bucks deal would also leave him as a restricted free agent after 2010....if the Knicks cut him from his contract after 2010 he would be unrestricted. The Knicks would also pay more money in 2009 than the Bucks! I don't see any other options out the for a long-term deal....he will also put up insane numbers in New York which would help his next contract immensely. Easy choice for Sessions.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I would agree with you if he had a mult-year offer....but his only other option is a 1-year deal from the Bucks. The Bucks deal would also leave him as a restricted free agent after 2010....if the Knicks cut him from his contract after 2010 he would be unrestricted. The Knicks would also pay more money in 2009 than the Bucks! I don't see any other options out the for a long-term deal....he will also put up insane numbers in New York which would help his next contract immensely. Easy choice for Sessions.
That is true. Sessions and his agent don't have much leverage at this point so I guess they are just holding out as long as they can in hopes that something may change. The sooner this gets done then Walsh can turn his attention back to Lee and Nate.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Except for the fact that the Clippers are still showing interest and are trying to work out a sign and trade deal. If that deal falls through then maybe Sessions would consider a 1 year deal with the Knicks. Until then, as nyk suggested, Sessions is going to think about his long term future, not a chance at putting up great numbers in New York.

Except for the fact that the Clippers are still showing interest and are trying to work out a sign and trade deal. If that deal falls through then maybe Sessions would consider a 1 year deal with the Knicks. Until then, as nyk suggested, Sessions is going to think about his long term future, not a chance at putting up great numbers in New York.

His long-term future would be more secured with a full season as a starting PG with great numbers. There is no truth to the sign and trade rumors-the Bucks already have 16 guaranteed contracts (not counting Sessions) and with their draft and trades have shown they have no intention of keeping Sessions. Why do a sign and trade then? The Clippers won't offer more than 4 million dollars for 2009 so there isn't a reason to sign with them over the Knicks.

Red

TYPE-A
Fat Girls Need Love Too!

Why do I get the feeling the NYK's are "the fat girl" who can't get a prom date? And if she does it's by means of last resort? And if "the fat girl" hits the lottery then they will forget she's fat and come running? Isn't that a bit disinginuous? Is there some unwritten rule that FA's can only sign with contenders? When did the NYK's become the team of last resort? Why is a player (Sessions, Lee, N8) giving the impression that they want to be here if and only we (the fat chick) hits the lotto (then we will be desirable enough)? Only to put more pressure on themselves and up our expectations that they hardly can reach so they must suffer the fury of angry impatient fans? Where are the players that want to be Knicks? That want to contribute and not play second fiddle to the "real superstars" thus the free ride? Do we really want these types? I dont!!! Can I respect franchises like the Bulls, Celts or Heat who lucked out on the #1 pick or got D Wade or bought a champ but were garbage for years now wanting to provide solice that we will be better (although they are our rivals). How does a team in the biggest market and largest payroll have no pull? Are we fat and ugly chics? Did they get a boob job and face lift and do we need one to compete? When is Donnie (I can't judge him til Oct. 2010) gonna actually make SACRAFICES? Why are GM's trying to get over and not either make valid sacrafices, or think outside the box to achieve? These were rhetorical ?'s and a bit of a rant (my bad) but seriously let's get down to business. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat right? Now if you get Sessions can you imagine the pressure on him to perform? Can you imagine the crowds reaction when D Lee gets sonned in the paint or Jeffries is in the starting line up? Or if Jordan Hill is a bust? Note to my man Donnie: You are like the pres. and have an approval rating. What you are doing/not doing is lowering your rating! We the fans demand better! If what u are doing produces results then fine, if not guess what... A'Ha that's it!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
His long-term future would be more secured with a full season as a starting PG with great numbers. There is no truth to the sign and trade rumors-the Bucks already have 16 guaranteed contracts (not counting Sessions) and with their draft and trades have shown they have no intention of keeping Sessions. Why do a sign and trade then? The Clippers won't offer more than 4 million dollars for 2009 so there isn't a reason to sign with them over the Knicks.

He hasn't even gotten an offer from us. He can't sign here without an offer which won't happen unless Donnie trades Jeffries. If the Clippers make a long term offer and Donnie won't make an offer, what is Sessions supposed to do? I know you want him here and so do I, but be realistic. All signs right now are pointing to us not getting him. Sorry.

Why do I get the feeling the NYK's are "the fat girl" who can't get a prom date? And if she does it's by means of last resort? And if "the fat girl" hits the lottery then they will forget she's fat and come running? Isn't that a bit disinginuous? Is there some unwritten rule that FA's can only sign with contenders? When did the NYK's become the team of last resort? Why is a player (Sessions, Lee, N8) giving the impression that they want to be here if and only we (the fat chick) hits the lotto (then we will be desirable enough)? Only to put more pressure on themselves and up our expectations that they hardly can reach so they must suffer the fury of angry impatient fans? Where are the players that want to be Knicks? That want to contribute and not play second fiddle to the "real superstars" thus the free ride? Do we really want these types? I dont!!! Can I respect franchises like the Bulls, Celts or Heat who lucked out on the #1 pick or got D Wade or bought a champ but were garbage for years now wanting to provide solice that we will be better (although they are our rivals). How does a team in the biggest market and largest payroll have no pull? Are we fat and ugly chics? Did they get a boob job and face lift and do we need one to compete? When is Donnie (I can't judge him til Oct. 2010) gonna actually make SACRAFICES? Why are GM's trying to get over and not either make valid sacrafices, or think outside the box to achieve? These were rhetorical ?'s and a bit of a rant (my bad) but seriously let's get down to business. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat right? Now if you get Sessions can you imagine the pressure on him to perform? Can you imagine the crowds reaction when D Lee gets sonned in the paint or Jeffries is in the starting line up? Or if Jordan Hill is a bust? Note to my man Donnie: You are like the pres. and have an approval rating. What you are doing/not doing is lowering your rating! We the fans demand better! If what u are doing produces results then fine, if not guess what... A'Ha that's it!

I can agree Lee is asking for the lottery....Sessions and Nate have much more reasonable prices. In my opinion, Lee isn't someone to break the bank over. 8 million is probably too high....nevermind the 10-12 million he was asking.

Red

TYPE-A
cont'd

We are the "fat chick", so its Donnies job to dress this m*ther****er up and make it presentable. BTW us as fans in NY knowledgable or not will recognize one thing only... Results! So in conclusion, Donnie Dantoni and whoever FA on the horizon be prepared to produce, and if you scared we don't want you! Donnie and Dantoni Must Produce Results by the Dead-Line... opening tip 2010. This isn't Kansas or Indiana or some b*llshit city with nothing to do here and we are far from the Fat Chick we are being treated like so the clock is ticking.... make something happen or find a new job! One

CoolClyde

Donnie Walsh Hard At Work

Donnie Walsh, hard at work...
making things happen!

walshatwork.gif

johnstarky

Rotation player

It's the flawed cap system that has ruined the Knicks and other teams from the NBA throughout the years.It is a system that is suppose to even out the playing field with the sole purpose of allowing teams to sign their own superstar players.But all it has done is put teams that are run by dumb GMs out of the competition field and into financial captivity.And the fans of these non contenders are the ones that suffer the most because of this.Does it ever occur to David Stern that if non contending franchises, that are over the cap, stink for long periods of time it will make fans not want to attend games to support them?

I always wanted to know that if the salary cap is so just and so fair why are the same teams contending every year? Why is it that the Lakers and Spurs have combined to make 10 NBA finals appearances in the last 11 NBA finals but teams like the Los Angeles Clippers and the Golden State Warriors have only made one playoff appearance throughout the past decade? I don't believe that it's because general managers like Mitch Kupchak and R.C Buford are some kind of geniuses that know more about economics than the rest of the general managers in the NBA.I believe that it only takes one or two superstar players and an average gm to make a team a contender in a league that locks other teams out of contention.

I'm not a salary cap expert but I think that there should be a new rule in the NBA that says that if a team that is over the salary cap by more than 20 million dollars misses the playoffs for 5 straight seasons then that team gets awarded 10 million dollars of cap relief.It's better than having to wait a decade or two for the right lottery pick to fall into your team's hands.A team like the Knicks could of benefited from something like this when Isiah Thomas was running them.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Paying for Sessions

I have a recollection that when Donnie signed Duhon, he paid him more than necessary. He gave him two years at $6M plus for each year, when I believe the only other apparent competition for his services offered him two years at some $3M plus a year.

I thought Donnie overpaid because the contract would not interfere with 2010.

Granted Sessions would like security, but two years is not a lot of security. On the other hand, why not overpay for one year -- give him $6M for the year and a team option as Bellringer suggested for a second year. OK, we pay him too much for this year and there is luxury tax on top, but it does not affect 2010.

The Garden and the Knicks have been spun off from the cash cow Cablevision. I am wondering whether there is now a more determined effort to be thrifty.

Then again, Donnie appears to be on top of the market. I still find the delay baffling. We need a starting point guard. Duhon, Nate and Douglas are not that impressive.

And, as a matter of pure speculation, is it possible that Donnie is trying to convince Kahn to give up on Rubio and work a deal. His situation in Spain has not been resolved, and if Minnesota is going to get him, it wil have to wait until 2011. That would be a reason for a delay on Sessions. Again, pure speculation, so do not call me on it.

It's the flawed cap system that has ruined the Knicks and other teams from the NBA throughout the years.It is a system that is suppose to even out the playing field with the sole purpose of allowing teams to sign their own superstar players.But all it has done is put teams that are run by dumb GMs out of the competition field and into financial captivity.And the fans of these non contenders are the ones that suffer the most because of this.Does it ever occur to David Stern that if non contending franchises, that are over the cap, stink for long periods of time it will make fans not want to attend games to support them?

I always wanted to know that if the salary cap is so just and so fair why are the same teams contending every year? Why is it that the Lakers and Spurs have combined to make 10 NBA finals appearances in the last 11 NBA finals but teams like the Los Angeles Clippers and the Golden State Warriors have only made one playoff appearance throughout the past decade? I don't believe that it's because general managers like Mitch Kupchak and R.C Buford are some kind of geniuses that know more about economics than the rest of the general managers in the NBA.I believe that it only takes one or two superstar players and an average gm to make a team a contender in a league that locks other teams out of contention.

I'm not a salary cap expert but I think that there should be a new rule in the NBA that says that if a team that is over the salary cap by more than 20 million dollars misses the playoffs for 5 straight seasons then that team gets awarded 10 million dollars of cap relief.It's better than having to wait a decade or two for the right lottery pick to fall into your team's hands.A team like the Knicks could of benefited from something like this when Isiah Thomas was running them.

I agree with what your saying, but I dont agree with the idea that bad teams stay bad because of the cap.
Every team that is an elite team today, did resign their superstars, because they drafted well and hit the lottery
you can go down the list of star players on elite teams, and they are all home grown drafted players who dominate

wade
amare
dirk
LBJ
Melo
Yao
Dwight
Dwill
Chris Paul
Andre I
Peirce
Bosh
Josh smith
Drose
Granger
Duncan
Parker
Ginobli
Kobe
Durant
Kmartin

Those are pretty much the best players on their teams and they were drafted

The knicks are where they are because instead of building from the lottery after the ewing days we kept adding bloated veteran post all star contracts for half a decade and now we are paying for it

the cap isnt flawed

the knicks are

Paul1355

All Star
Nate isnt a PG. He plays the position, but he is really a shooting guard. Douglas is young and a year at third string wouldn't be bad. Duhon is an above-average backup, or below average starter. Sessions numbers ber 36 are better than Duhon....and Duhon plays in D'Antoni's system. People seem to forget what Duhon was in Chicago...the system has done alot for him.

I agree that Nate is more of a SG type but with Chandler, Hughes and Almond as our 2 guards i don't see Nate and Duhon running the back court at the same time unless we have some injuries....we need a tall team and Donnie has been making sure we accomplish that.

Andy (DC-Metro)

Who is the player or team that no one is talking about that is on your radar screen? Please dont say Durant or THunder- I'm already driving that bandwagon with Simmons riding shotgun
John Hollinger (3:27 PM)

Player -- Ramon Sessions. Most underrated player in the league. Will be a big-time pick up for the team that lands him. As for teams, I think the consensus is largely accurate right now, but there's one quasi-surprise team I'm keeping my eye on pending future moves this summer.

I'm not the only one who thinks Sessions at 4 million is a steal.....

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/28036

jimmy infamous in wauwatosa, wi:
I'm so incredibly tired of reading a whole lot of nothing when it comes to where ramon sessions will be. Where do you see him going, and if it's not with the bucks, how do you see the combo of jennings and ridnour?

hw_icon.gif

Jason Fleming:
I think he'll end up with Clips or the Knicks, and wherever it is they are going to get one hell of a deal for a very good young guard.
As for the Jennings/Ridnour combo, I like it. I think we'll see Ridnour starting in the beginning, but if Jennings keeps showing what he has so far he should take the job. I like Ridnour as the backup in that case, because he can be trusted to play a solid game. It's a good duo.

Jeremy in Brooklyn, NY:
How will my Knicks do this year (assuming they re-sign Nate and Lee, and sign Sessions)?

hw_icon.gif

Jason Fleming:
With that lineup I think they are a 7 seed in the East, honestly. However, my prognosticcation is based on Sessions first, then the other two. If they don't get Sessions they are a lottery team. If they get Sessions and Lee, playoffs.

Another NBA writer who feels that Sessions is an important piece to the team. 4 million will be a steal....and pretty much everyone who covers the NBA knows it!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=436
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The knicks are where they are because instead of building from the lottery after the ewing days we kept adding bloated veteran post all star contracts for half a decade and now we are paying for it

the cap isnt flawed

the knicks are

QFT! That is why I like Walsh so much...he understands this and has not continued the overpaying for washed up players who used to have a name.

sjmp

Rookie
You guys have made some great points. Re: sessions and wanting a multi yr contract - welcome to the real world buddy.

how many people here go to a job interview and as for a multi yr contract. At least there is some realism in this approach that teams are being forced to take due to economy/cap.

QFT! That is why I like Walsh so much...he understands this and has not continued the overpaying for washed up players who used to have a name.

And I think Sessions is the guy who is right before his all-star seasons...many people who follow the NBA for a job feel he is a star waiting to happen. 4 million for him will be a great deal....even if he bombs (which I dont see happening) a 4 million a season contract is moveable, unlike Curry (over 10 million) and Jefferies (6.5).