After season, Mike may be Done'toni

Toons

is the Bo$$
"Much has been made about the uncertainty of Knicks president Donnie Walsh returning next season — but coach Mike D'Antoni's future seems in question, too.

Following the blockbuster additions of Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups two weeks ago, the Knicks have assembled a club that is not built in D'Antoni's speedball image.

So with one year left on his contract and his biggest supporter, Walsh, up in the air, there is mystery to D'Antoni's long-term security —– fairly or unfairly.

D'Antoni's greatest attribute as coach is perfecting a high-speed attack, which the club is slowly moving away from.

The coach figured he'd surely be back if he guided the Knicks to their first playoff berth since the 2003-2004 season. But what now? As D'Antoni admitted last week, "The stakes are now higher."

One league executive told The Post, "I think the question for next season will be, is D'Antoni the right guy to lead a team with a halfcourt star in Anthony and a [soon-to-be] 35-year-old point guard [Billups]?"

Dealing with another roster overhaul should be par for the course for D'Antoni. Every season as Knicks coach, he's dealt with roster-rocking, in-season trades.

In his two-plus seasons, D'Antoni has coached 34 players, which amounts to essentially three different teams."

Entering training camp, D’Antoni hoped this would be the year of roster stability. How wrong he was.

Now comes the latest in-season roster shakeup — made precisely two weeks ago, the 13-player, three-team Anthony blockbuster inspired by owner James Dolan that neither Walsh nor D’Antoni were enthralled with because of the amount of pieces they gave up, according to sources.

This time, however, the trade was heralded as a move designed to make the Knicks not just better but supposedly a more formidable force in this spring’s playoffs, with the groundwork set for a future championship run.

“You have to have patience,” D’Antoni said yesterday, before the Knicks knocked off the Hawks, 92-79, at Philips Arena.

“Most people want it done immediately. It takes a while. [After a trade], you got to go through a mini training camp and try to get everyone ready while you’re playing, without a lot of practice time.

“We do have patience. We’ll get through it. But it’s not easy on anybody — on players or the coaching staff. But we’re building in the right direction, and are enthused about it.”

D’Antoni compared the Knicks’ adjustment to Miami’s.

“They have a bunch of guys who just came together and have to figure it out,” D’Antoni said.

“Teams that have their major core together a couple years, three years, you can add pieces, change pieces, it doesn’t change that much. But when you change your identity totally, it’s tough. [Heat coach] Erik [Spoelstra] is in the firestorm. It’s not easy.

“People need to give them time to get through it, and it’s a little bit like us. For a coach, it’s a process.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...one_toni_EoEp0beiA3opwRMF02MkyJ#ixzz1Fvo98BGJ

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
If he gets us to the 2nd round, he's definitely staying. He'll probably staying if we keep the first round interesting. If we get swept he's gone... Just my 2 cents on the situation

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Definitely a possibility. Interesting/unsettling times ahead. If I were to choose out of Mike or Donnie, I'd choose Donnie in a flash.

Often, the testimony in favour of D'Antoni is that his style, system, methodology, whatever you want to call it, is subject to praise and/or slander by the pieces he has on the board. He has good pieces, but they don't fit the style he's renowned for.

Now we'll find out just what he's capable of as far as his role can control it.

The defence has markedly improved. Since our point production has lessened, so too have our opponent's.

He's adjusted well there, what else can he bring?

Good luck to him! My sanity depends on it.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;165302 said:
Definitely a possibility. Interesting/unsettling times ahead. If I were to choose out of Mike or Donnie, I'd choose Donnie in a flash.

Often, the testimony in favour of D'Antoni is that his style, system, methodology, whatever you want to call it, is subject to praise and/or slander by the pieces he has on the board. He has good pieces, but they don't fit the style he's renowned for.

Now we'll find out just what he's capable of as far as his role can control it.

The defence has markedly improved. Since our point production has lessened, so too have our opponent's.

He's adjusted well there, what else can he bring?

Good luck to him! My sanity depends on it.

I think he's capable. If he doesn't do it, he'll have his nutson the chopping board. Ouch.lol

miked1958

Rotation player
"Much has been made about the uncertainty of Knicks president Donnie Walsh returning next season — but coach Mike D'Antoni's future seems in question, too.

Following the blockbuster additions of Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups two weeks ago, the Knicks have assembled a club that is not built in D'Antoni's speedball image.

So with one year left on his contract and his biggest supporter, Walsh, up in the air, there is mystery to D'Antoni's long-term security —– fairly or unfairly.

D'Antoni's greatest attribute as coach is perfecting a high-speed attack, which the club is slowly moving away from.

The coach figured he'd surely be back if he guided the Knicks to their first playoff berth since the 2003-2004 season. But what now? As D'Antoni admitted last week, "The stakes are now higher."

One league executive told The Post, "I think the question for next season will be, is D'Antoni the right guy to lead a team with a halfcourt star in Anthony and a [soon-to-be] 35-year-old point guard [Billups]?"

Dealing with another roster overhaul should be par for the course for D'Antoni. Every season as Knicks coach, he's dealt with roster-rocking, in-season trades.

In his two-plus seasons, D'Antoni has coached 34 players, which amounts to essentially three different teams."

Entering training camp, D’Antoni hoped this would be the year of roster stability. How wrong he was.

Now comes the latest in-season roster shakeup — made precisely two weeks ago, the 13-player, three-team Anthony blockbuster inspired by owner James Dolan that neither Walsh nor D’Antoni were enthralled with because of the amount of pieces they gave up, according to sources.

This time, however, the trade was heralded as a move designed to make the Knicks not just better but supposedly a more formidable force in this spring’s playoffs, with the groundwork set for a future championship run.

“You have to have patience,” D’Antoni said yesterday, before the Knicks knocked off the Hawks, 92-79, at Philips Arena.

“Most people want it done immediately. It takes a while. [After a trade], you got to go through a mini training camp and try to get everyone ready while you’re playing, without a lot of practice time.

“We do have patience. We’ll get through it. But it’s not easy on anybody — on players or the coaching staff. But we’re building in the right direction, and are enthused about it.”

D’Antoni compared the Knicks’ adjustment to Miami’s.

“They have a bunch of guys who just came together and have to figure it out,” D’Antoni said.

“Teams that have their major core together a couple years, three years, you can add pieces, change pieces, it doesn’t change that much. But when you change your identity totally, it’s tough. [Heat coach] Erik [Spoelstra] is in the firestorm. It’s not easy.

“People need to give them time to get through it, and it’s a little bit like us. For a coach, it’s a process.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...one_toni_EoEp0beiA3opwRMF02MkyJ#ixzz1Fvo98BGJ
I will remain unbias for now and let the season play out. I have seen a REMARKABLE improvement on Defense, for the first time in years, this team is playing defense. MDA has to have something to do with that. So in that respect i have to let the season playout and see what happens. If the D continues to improve and we get into the playoffs and make a decent showing (i dont think we ness have to even advance past first round) then I think he will be back. I dont see them getting rid of him after he pretty much got the thing turned around back in the right direction for the first time in many many seasons. So i say leave him be for awhile and stop the complaining and lets enjoy a team worth watching for once.

pat

Starter
To be honest, this article is crap. Why how on earth can you link our reduced offensive production on Billups just yet? During the low-scoring games Billups sat out with his thigh knock. You can see that Melo is taking more threes than in Denver already. As numerous other posters have pointed out earlier, SSOL is not about defending badly, it is about taking the first open shot. You can be agressive on D and play the system. I think it is just with Billups out and four key-players traded, MDA has to give the bench mob more burn and what those guys bring to the table is grinding out wins. Also we have (re)added JJ and while all his other numbers were atrocious so far his +/- was remarkable. No idea how he does it, but once he is on the floor the players around him seem to over-achieve on the defensive end.

I also thought that people called for Larry Brown's head way too early. This club needs some continuity and MDA agreed to risk his resume in our two years of salary shedding. Why shouldn't he have the chance to show what he can do with a competetive team?

OakTree

Rookie
All due respect to Coach D'Antoni; I wouldn't mind seeing Coach Sloan coming out of retirement. I think his system will work well with our lineup, i.e. solid at PG, very strong at F/PF. Won't kill me to see MDA have a go at it again next season though.

iJoe

Rotation player
Theres absolutely no way in hell Sloan is ever gonna come out of retirement and coach a different team. Its just not in the man's character.

I'm praying we're smart and get my favorite coach Adelman who I believe is also unhappy with the Rocket's constant rebuilding. His teams ALWAYS overachieve and play hard. His offensive plays are beautiful and every team he coached has also been underrated defensively.

OakTree

Rookie
Theres absolutely no way in hell Sloan is ever gonna come out of retirement and coach a different team. Its just not in the man's character.

Yeah but I suppose one can dream. :beer:

Coach Rick is OK but I can't say his Kings overachieved. Watcha think 'bout JVG?

iJoe

Rotation player
Yeah but I suppose one can dream. :beer:

Coach Rick is OK but I can't say his Kings overachieved. Watcha think 'bout JVG?

How about a 22 game win streak with a crap ass Rockets team in the past as well as the current Rocket team overachieving yet again this year. His teams always play hard and smart. Kings would have been champions had it not been for some epic Laker last second luck and Big shot bobby.

I think most people on these boards would love JVG, but I think he's having wayyyy too much fun as a broadcaster cracking jokes and sharing every single weird idea he has about how to change the game.

We could bring Larry Brown back and watch how he whines and tries to turn our team into his own broken image. Then we'll really see how much awesome fun a slow paced game would be with our team as well as epic mutiny.

OakTree

Rookie
How about a 22 game win streak with a crap ass Rockets team in the past as well as the current Rocket team overachieving yet again this year. His teams always play hard and smart. Kings would have been champions had it not been for some epic Laker last second luck and Big shot bobby.

I think most people on these boards would love JVG, but I think he's having wayyyy too much fun as a broadcaster cracking jokes and sharing every single weird idea he has about how to change the game.

We could bring Larry Brown back and watch how he whines and tries to turn our team into his own broken image. Then we'll really see how much awesome fun a slow paced game would be with our team as well as epic mutiny.

Don't necessarily believe a slow-paced game can't be awesome fun, but I agree that Coach Brown brings too much baggage with him.

So, unless Coach Sloan has a change in character or Coach Jeff tires of Charles and Reggie--I'll back Coach Mike... maybe all the way to the Conference Finals.

Could happen.

TakMan

Rotation player
Since Billups has been sidelined I believe that the Knicks' offensive approach has not a;tered much in comparison to the pre-trade situation. TD is just as quick as Felton and though a better shooter and defender, is not as good a passer. The acquisition of Jeffries has altered our defensive structure completely as he seem to be as decent a defender as he is bad at offence. Anthony is also a better defender than Chandle, so with Douglas, Fields, Anthony, Jeffries, and Stoudamire in the starting lineup and with Turiaf, Balkman, and the Williams' on the bench (Possibly even Carter), I think the Knicks have been able to maintain their quick possession play while improving their defensive display significantly. D'Antoni cannot be excluded from praise for this quick, and significant improvement witnessed, and I hope he can finally justify the credentials that preceded him prior to joining the Knicks. I don't have anything personal with him and wish him the best of luck. Things are looking up though.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
450x364-alg_coach_dantoni.jpg

Sorry. Still winning.

Last edited:
How many years did Sloan coach? How many championships did he win? Keep in mind... He had the greatest PG of all-time in Stockton. Some can say Magic was but Stockton was a pure PG. Sloan also had one of the top 5 PF's of all time in Karl Malone. How many rings? Everyone wants to talk about D'Antoni not having any rings, but yet, I don't remeber Utah winning rings like the Lakers or the Spurs as of late.

Also... I would bet ANYTHING... During Mike D'Antoni's days with the Suns, that PHX has a better winning % than the Jazz under Sloan. Bet.

No thanks to Sloan. I'm enjoying our playoff push under Mike D'Antoni. We're 6-3 after the trade. Also playing great on the road too. With a victory against Dallas tonight... The Knicks would then have a winning % of .700 since the trade; under Mike D'Antoni.

How many years did Sloan coach? How many championships did he win? Keep in mind... He had the greatest PG of all-time in Stockton. Some can say Magic was but Stockton was a pure PG. Sloan also had one of the top 5 PF's of all time in Karl Malone. How many rings? Everyone wants to talk about D'Antoni not having any rings, but yet, I don't remeber Utah winning rings like the Lakers or the Spurs as of late.

Also... I would bet ANYTHING... During Mike D'Antoni's days with the Suns, that PHX has a better winning % than the Jazz under Sloan. Bet.

No thanks to Sloan. I'm enjoying our playoff push under Mike D'Antoni. We're 6-3 after the trade. Also playing great on the road too. With a victory against Dallas tonight... The Knicks would then have a winning % of .700 since the trade; under Mike D'Antoni.

Havent you heard of Micheal Jordon before? Stockon and Malone couldnt win it in their best years because of the Bulls and there even more elite team.

Carmare

Banned
How many years did Sloan coach? How many championships did he win? Keep in mind... He had the greatest PG of all-time in Stockton. Some can say Magic was but Stockton was a pure PG.
I don't know man, Stockton was amazing but are you trying to say Magic was not a pure PG because he was so dynamic? No way Stockton is better than Magic was...

OakTree

Rookie

I think I better clarify: I put in Coach Sloan's name if MDA was given the boot.

Yeah, you'd win that bet. MDA is at .635 over 5 seasons, JS is only at .590 over 22 years with Utah. MDA lowest season average is .280, JS is .317; MDA highest season average is .756, JS has .780.

End of the day these stats mean crap to me; I just like Sloan's approach to the game. Didn't need to compare him to Coach D'Antoni to arrive at that... still don't... didn't in my post... so why the vitriol against Coach Sloan?

Mike D'antoni's win % with the suns doesn't really mean anything if they didn't get to the WCF. So your saying Avery Johnson & Mike Brown are great coaches just because of their winning %?SMH and stop using the excuse that the spurs are a dynasty, the reason they lost was because Popovich outcoached D'antoni.

Kiyaman

Legend

The top-PG from 1 to 10 in the 1980's were
#1-Magic/ #2-Isiah/ #3-Stocton/ #4-Phoenix injury-prone PG-Keven Johnson

Whoa! u mention a mouth full....... Donnie Walsh extension is on hold b/c
of the 3 seasons of Bum coaching from Dantoni or Damnphony.
Celebrity coach Dantoni was kicked out of Phoenix
for several reasons.....
The Knicks made a helluva big mistake hiring Dantoni....
In just two and half seasons Dantoni has decrease more Knick-players
trade-value than clueless Isiah Thomas did in 5 and half seasons.
Knick-Fans has been mentioning Dantoni two seasons of success in Phoenix
as if it was equal to headcoach Byron Scott tour with the Nets.
Dantoni's best season in the NBA dont compare to Sloans worst season
in the NBA.
If the Knicks started the 2010-11 season under a different headcoach we
wouldve never got involved in the Carmelo-fiasco trade. On the deadline
we wouldve traded for a high scoring-guard so our offense can attack at
PF/SF/and SG. That wouldve been our Big-3.

Mozgov shouldve backup Turiaf at Center
AR shouldve backup Amare at PF
Gallo shouldve backup Chandler at SF
Fields shouldve backup ??? at SG
Douglas shouldve backup a 28 mpg Felton.
Felton is performing ten-times better in Denver than he did with the
Bobcats & Knicks by sharing the lead-point with Ty Lawson/JR. Smith/
and Affalo as a combo-PG.
:gony: