Allstar Weekend Thread

STAT1

Starter
I didnt mean it compared to that from a contestant standpoint and creativity, but I mean does this feeling I have after that big build up and release of excitement.

EDIT: I also think we look at our history and somewhat make it bigger than what it actually was. They were great contests no doubt, but they did do alot of the same dunks over because they worked for them.

I think for my money the contest between Vince Carter, T-Mac & Steve Franchise was probably the best dunk contest I've ever seen. Most ridiculous dunks ever and all 3 of those guys were bringing some crazy flavor. The Spudd Webb vs. Nique dunk contest was 1 of the most exciting because of the little guy factor, that's the first time I'd ever seen a guy that short dunk like that, it was incredible to behold. The Jordan vs. Nique contest was epic too, I think that one stands out because of the names involved.

YanksKnicks86

Benchwarmer
These things are no longer competitions we know whos gonna win despite him not pulling off anything special. Blake's first 2 dunks sucked ass. Derozen's 2nd dunk was amazing.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Pretty dissapointing for me. Too much pagentry and not enough quality. Blake Griffin is an absolute monster, I expected so much more.

la2ny

Starter
WTH Do you guys expect lol. It ain't gonna happen. 20 years ago no one had saw between the legs reverse 360's elbow in the rim etc. but it's all been seen. Unless you get someone with a 55+ inch vertical which doesn't exist, then you guys can start thinking 720s', 360 between legs, double between legs, etc. As far as Im concerned the props got a little crazy over time but how else are you supposed to win now you do need the crowd remember.

Blakes' 1st dunk was pretty sick imo. A Terrence Standbury type dunk switched into a power 360. The elbow dunk was pretty sick considering you have to get pretty high on that. That out of bounds 360 dunk he tried that he couldn't get the ball just right on wouldv'e been crazy. Blake could have did more with the car but honestly he does have to play the rest of the year guys lol. Both of Demars' dunks were delicious. Javales' were difficult but lacked flare until his 1st in the final round where he did that duck head reverse. And Air Congo got underated for his BEHIND, I repeat BEHIND the free throw line dunk.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Ok my thoughts on the dunk contest, i loved it! couldn't have been more excited watching it. Every contestant came out and flat out put on a show. However im upset at the judging and how they seemed to favor Griffin out of the gates. DeRozans first dunk was sick even though it took him a few attempts, Griffins slam off the side of the board was worse then his and he got 2 points higher which i didnt like. Ibaka's first dunk should have been a 50 easy. yet they gave him a 45 why i have no idea, it was a legit dunk from the freethrow line, behind it even. and Dr.J's was from inside the line. Griffin was a disappointment to me i expected more, yet he got outclassed by arguably all 3 contestants. That car dunk was nothing more then a propped up dunk he jumped from the front of the car which you would think is relatively easy for a guy with his hops. Derozan and McGee should've been your finals folks and think that would've been way more fun then the finals we got to see.

the best dunk of the night?? DeRozans second dunk by far, that shit was amazing.

la2ny

Starter
I still dont see why McGee was in the finals besides his mama smooching Doc an the judges. If anything Demar should've been in the finals. Blake's 2nd dunk wouldv'e been fire but Baron fukked the passes up. Blake's 1st was pretty nice and difficult, im starting to think you guys just wanted him to lose lol. His car dunk was simple because he has to play the rest of the season here. What if he tried a windmill and his leg came down a little an clipped the hood?? Then what lol.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
WTH Do you guys expect lol. It ain't gonna happen. 20 years ago no one had saw between the legs reverse 360's elbow in the rim etc. but it's all been seen. Unless you get someone with a 55+ inch vertical which doesn't exist, then you guys can start thinking 720s', 360 between legs, double between legs, etc. As far as Im concerned the props got a little crazy over time but how else are you supposed to win now you do need the crowd remember.

Blakes' 1st dunk was pretty sick imo. A Terrence Standbury type dunk switched into a power 360. The elbow dunk was pretty sick considering you have to get pretty high on that. That out of bounds 360 dunk he tried that he couldn't get the ball just right on wouldv'e been crazy. Blake could have did more with the car but honestly he does have to play the rest of the year guys lol. Both of Demars' dunks were delicious. Javales' were difficult but lacked flare until his 1st in the final round where he did that duck head reverse. And Air Congo got underated for his BEHIND, I repeat BEHIND the free throw line dunk.

A bit of razzle dazzle or at least technical proficiency to go with the showmanship would be nice.

I agree that Ibaka was flat out robbed as his and DeRozan's 2nd were the only 2 worth watching. Griffin is a beast so I expect a hell of a lot more than his average game by game repetoire, in fact his game dunks are a damn site better.

la2ny

Starter
A bit of razzle dazzle or at least technical proficiency to go with the showmanship would be nice.

I agree that Ibaka was flat out robbed as his and DeRozan's 2nd were the only 2 worth watching. Griffin is a beast so I expect a hell of a lot more than his average game by game repetoire, in fact his game dunks are a damn site better.
Well of course game dunks better. There in game lol or over someone. It's similar to what happened to Shannon Brown. In game your like WOW! Then in the contest it's like ,well we don't really care how high you got.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Well of course game dunks better. There in game lol or over someone. It's similar to what happened to Shannon Brown. In game your like WOW! Then in the contest it's like ,well we don't really care how high you got.

I know what you mean but I mean technique wise. You can get away with not having great technique when you facial someone because they are there. In a dunk contest though there has to be something that stands out, like say having the ability to fly like Dr J. only further!

la2ny

Starter
I know what you mean but I mean technique wise. You can get away with not having great technique when you facial someone because they are there. In a dunk contest though there has to be something that stands out, like say having the ability to fly like Dr J. only further!
Yeah I know what you mean. But, do they exist anymore? I mean I haven't seen anyone able to like float and have that gracefulness like MJ, The DR., Kenny Walker, etc. Last person I saw like that was I think Vince Carter.

STAT1

Starter
Unless you get someone with a 55+ inch vertical which doesn't exist, then you guys can start thinking 720s', 360 between legs, double between legs, etc. As far as Im concerned the props got a little crazy over time but how else are you supposed to win now you do need the crowd remember.

I agree with you Ibaka got hosed on that dunk, I've never seen anyone take off from behind the free throw line & dunk it before. That was nuts, I don't know how he didn't get a 50 for that one.

Too bad this guy doesn't play in the NBA:

la2ny

Starter
I wondered why no one has tried to 540 or 720 even though im pretty sure they could. Just not brave enough I guess. :shrug:

Now Ibaka took off further than any NBA player has, but if James White was still in league he would murder anyone from the ft line. He can windmill, go between the legs, or double pump from the side of his head from beyond the line.

STAT1

Starter
I wondered why no one has tried to 540 or 720 even though im pretty sure they could. Just not brave enough I guess. :shrug:

Other than The Air Up There I've never seen anyone even attempt it, which probably means they can't.

As for James White, I'd like to see him & Kadour Ziani have a dunk competition. That would be worth the price of admission.

pat

Starter
Ibaka got robbed. When I saw his preview clips, I was not impressed, but his dunks in the contest were first class n two completely different ways.

smokes

Huge Member

Now Ibaka took off further than any NBA player has, but if James White was still in league he would murder anyone from the ft line. He can windmill, go between the legs, or double pump from the side of his head from beyond the line.

I think you need ridiculous combination of athleticism and flexibility to pull off the 540+ and guys with NBA bodies just don't have that level of agility to be able to spin that much... You can see a fair few 540's and a legit 720 or two on youtube.

Honestly there were like 2 or 3 good dunks in general it was boring though. That car dunk was a total let down too, not only did he jump the hood he basically jumped AROUND the hood not even clean over it... I know these guys can't put their bodies on the line too much but why bother doing something if you ain't gonna do it right.

STAT1

Starter
That car dunk was a total let down too, not only did he jump the hood he basically jumped AROUND the hood not even clean over it... I know these guys can't put their bodies on the line too much but why bother doing something if you ain't gonna do it right.

Word, I agree with you. If you're gonna bring a car out on the floor, do the dunk right & jump over the thing, don't cheapen the trick by jumping the hood. Not that I think it's easy to do but come on, that was more gimmick than anything else. I was way more impressed when Nate jumped over Dwight Howard even with the extra assist by using his shoulder.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
ahhhh The all-star game. Its finally here, it feels like just yesterday was the begining of the season with everyone here with their predictions for the season. Most of you were right .500 team heading into the all-star break. The only thing is we aint no 8 seed, we 6th. East has its top 6 locked in bottom two are up for grabs.

As for tonight i see the east winning. I see Stat doing some crazy shit!!!!
AND Carmelo Declines the nets offer and becomes a Knick. At last.