Amare to Knicks reportedly "done"

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The best part of this rumor is that they are "working on numbers". I hope that means Amare does not get a max contract...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
No the twitter acct is legit. Tommy d also put up the article on his blog site for further confirmation. What I find interesting is that right after the lbj meeting stat is coming to the knicks. I think they asked lbj which max player u would like to play with and he prob reAlizes that bosh and wade are cuddling up Miami so he wants stat. Pretty much lbj prob said sign stat and u got me.

I hope you are right!

tiger0330

Legend
Every Knick fan's favorite reporter, Chris Broussard, is reporting that the two sides haven't met yet and all they've done is solidify their meeting time/place on Monday.
I guess they could have come to a verbal agreement on the phone but I doubt it. It would be nice to bag somebody before Lebron makes his decision, adding a guy like Amare could convince him that the Knicks are serious.

mafra

Legend
Signing Amar'e to a max contract is insane if we don't get Lebron James. His knees, his eyes, his attitude, and the fact that he's not a horse, is a recipe for complete disaster.

I mean, why not keep our own (at a cheaper price)? I'm sure we could keep Lee at 10 mil per, while Stoudemire wants 16.

I would prefer to blow GSW out of the water and offer Anthony Morrow 4-5 mil a year.... End up with Lee & Morrow at the same price it'll cost NYK to procur Amar'e.

ANYWAY, I think it's no coincidence that Amar'e will meet with us on MON, and that JJ hasn't officially signed the dotted line in ATL.

Methinks the plan was to get 1 or 2 of Bosh, Johnson, Amar'e, Wade to sign on verbally with us IF.... IF.... IF we convince Lebron James to play in NY.

We hear that LJ will make his decision soon.... probably before his camp begins July 5th. I imagine a decision will be announced after the 4th, most likely on Monday.

THU-FR-SAT LJ meets with 2 teams a day, concluding with CLE. He'll relax on Sunday and enjoy the 4th. He's had years to plan-research-ponder on this move.... I think he knew all along, just wanted to hear things out.

So, LJ makes his announcement on MON. If he picks NY, I imagine Amar'e signs on, and maybe even Johnson.

My biggest fear is that we toss max money to this guy even if LJ says NO... There's no point then. At least with LEE we know what we're getting. I think Lee is even better finishing around the rim, and on the pick-n-roll, and will prove to be the better value over the next 4 years.

If we sign Amar'e to the max, we have 16 mil left to fill out the roster? SIgn and trade Lee for Jefferson. Overpay for Morrow. Trade Curry (or wait until next summer to sign Parker).

Douglas
Morrow
Gallo
Stoudemire
Jefferson (or Tyrus Thomas)

Chandler, Walker, Curry, Barron, Rautins, Fields, Jordan

Of course, we could always trade Chandler and/or Curry.

If we don't get LJ, nothing better than to beat him!

Smooth21

Rookie
I mean, why not keep our own (at a cheaper price)? I'm sure we could keep Lee at 10 mil per, while Stoudemire wants 16.

Lee will not settle for $10m, look at what other clowns have been getting so far this off season. Lee will probably get $12-$14m a year.

Also, despite what Donnie says about LBJ not being the be-all, end-all, I think he's going to push all our chips into the middle of the table and he feels the only shot we have at getting LBJ is to have Bosh or Amare on the roster first. We all know there is zero chance Bosh ends up here, so we're taking a gamble on Amare. I don't like Amare, but I like the move.

If we end up with only Amare in FA, it's time to make some trades.

mafra

Legend
Lee will not settle for $10m, look at what other clowns have been getting so far this off season. Lee will probably get $12-$14m a year.

Also, despite what Donnie says about LBJ not being the be-all, end-all, I think he's going to push all our chips into the middle of the table and he feels the only shot we have at getting LBJ is to have Bosh or Amare on the roster first. We all know there is zero chance Bosh ends up here, so we're taking a gamble on Amare. I don't like Amare, but I like the move.

If we end up with only Amare in FA, it's time to make some trades.

True. Plus we could add/sign other players. Trade for Parker, sign Morrow. There are options. Looks like it is going down:

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/07/...-to-T/landing.html?blockID=264688&feedID=3702

"Amar?e Stoudemire?s free-agency stint could be short-lived. A source familiar with the negotiations confirmed that Stoudemire received a better offer on Thursday from another NBA team than anything he has or expects to receive from the Suns.

The source said Stoudemire could agree to that deal as soon as Friday, leaving the Suns in the market for a replacement power forward."

Smooth21

Rookie
Bucher was just on ESPN Radio and said "he believes" that Miami is that team that made the great offer to Amare.

He's also the guy who said earlier today that, "There are three PF's (Bosh/Amare/Boozer) and only two places for them to go - Chicago and Miami."

The media, especially ESPN, really hates us.

mafra

Legend
Dolan must have banned ESPN from the building or something. They do hate us. Maybe b/c they're all BOS fans?

jpz17

Starter
Dolan must have banned ESPN from the building or something. They do hate us. Maybe b/c they're all BOS fans?

hah wouldn't be surprised. glad to see :D
I don't like ESPN. Their baseball sucks, same with their basketball. and all they care about is football. i could care less about football

mafra

Legend
hah wouldn't be surprised. glad to see :D
I don't like ESPN. Their baseball sucks, same with their basketball. and all they care about is football. i could care less about football

I switched from Time Warner to AT&T UVerse. Love it but the one bad thing: No MLB Network. It blows away ESPN BT coverage.

ESPN dumps on the knicks because we are an easy target right now. They have been bagging on the Clippers, etc for years.

I hate to say this, but Amare will wilt in the East. On a regular basis. He'll get his "numbers," but the man cannot defend the post. D'Antoni may not even mind, but we all will.

If he comes, he comes, but I'm betting he comes alone (ie without LBJ or JJ).

If that happens, its okay. What the Knicks simply CANNOT do is panic and spend their money on second tier players who will set us up for a decade of mediocrity (7th place finishes and accompanying mediocre draft picks).

We waited this long. Don't make the same mistakes of the past. We can wait a little longer to sign the right players with our money because there are players coming in the next 2 years who can be difference makers.

PS - As much as I like Lee, he can't come back (at the dollars he'll command) unless he learns how to defend the post himself also.

th3realicon

Rotation player
Apparently LBJ and the heat meet for 3 hours. That is quite a long meeting to be simply formal although i hope i am wrong. It would be poetic if they sign LBJ and Bosh and Wade jumps to us. That would be the most unusual ending ever.

Smooth21

Rookie
Probably lasted that long because Riley stopped talking every few minutes to find a mirror to check that his hair was okay.