Amare's Defensive awareness stinks

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
Ever since the knicks signed STAT i tried to cover up for him and say he looks bad only because our gaurds cant hold anyone outside which is part to blame, but 80% of the time amare gets abused by lesser bigman every single damn game. whenever we get killed by someone it is first the bigman then the pg or playmaker on the other team.See the trend here? Amar'e literally looks lost on D.
He cant stay in front of the athletically weaker bigmen and cant guard the athletic ones neither.He is a liability to our team when the playoffs come around.He cant rebound worth a damn,does not help at all (props on the lebron block) and cant contain weak no-name big men.That samardo sameuls dude got 3 straight rebounds plus a dunk and all amare was doing was slapping at the ball instead of manning up trying to rip the rebound away from a dude with a 12 inch vert.

Besides that amare never takes on the challenge of guarding the teams best bigmen. Rather let shawn williams guard dwight howard while you guard that 3pt shooting bigman? pathetic. rather guard samuels than jj hickson, rather guard joel anthony than bosh, and this is a recurring trend and he seems like he really doesnt care about D.But you will always see him running the break hard,dunking hard, drawing fouls, and shooting all the shots he wants but doesnt want to lead the team by guarding the best big on the floor. Melo although not a leader is our best leader besides billups because he makes sure
he plays hard on both ends instead of talking about our weaknesses and still not doing what you said we lacked.Melo didnt shy away from lebron instead he embraced him and D'd him up.If amare atleast tried to play D then i wouldnt have made this thread but we need to realize that amare could be our achillies heel when it comes to winning chips because he has no desire or pride on the defensive and rebounding side of basketball.

It's kind of hard to fault Amare as a big man when he has NO help @ the C position. Mozgov was a bum putting up 4 & 3. Turiaf looks to be a career backup who lacks size. We have NO center. Amare has NO help down low. That still doesn't change the fact that he ranks top 15 in rebounds & I believe top 5 in blocked shots. Give Amare a Center such as Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Camby or Dalembert & watch his overall defensive game improve like never before. We're lucky to have Amare @ PF because if not, we would have no shot blocking or rebounding ability.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
I agree, te only time I've seen A'mare accept a real challenge on D is when the sns played the spurs a few years back. His D awareness on 2k11 should be 50 the way he shows effort lol. I love amare but its very irritating sometimes watching him look lost on D. As big as he is and aggerssive (on offense) he could apply some of that on D, at least fould hard so players would change their mind about driving the lane when your in there. Have a presnce.

KingofNy

Starter
Stat and Melo's D is suspect, we all know that. What our organization must do this offseason is put guys around our offensive superstars that are great at D and can score. This is why I was saying in the previous threads that's it's important for us to save the money we would spend on a third max contract to get a few guys that are great defenders first but that also can score 10-15 a game. Obviously this will never happen until Antoni is gone but that's what needs to happen.

We also need to get a defensive minded coach who can utilize the offensive talents of our two stars and then surround those stars with quality defenders that can also score when needed. All we have is a team full of scorers and ZERO defenders other than 2 bottom rotation guys with a coach that talks a big game on defense but shows it by letting teams score 110 pts on his D nightly. Antoni must go!

Ever since the knicks signed STAT i tried to cover up for him and say he looks bad only because our gaurds cant hold anyone outside which is part to blame, but 80% of the time amare gets abused by lesser bigman every single damn game. whenever we get killed by someone it is first the bigman then the pg or playmaker on the other team.See the trend here? Amar'e literally looks lost on D.
He cant stay in front of the athletically weaker bigmen and cant guard the athletic ones neither.He is a liability to our team when the playoffs come around.He cant rebound worth a damn,does not help at all (props on the lebron block) and cant contain weak no-name big men.That samardo sameuls dude got 3 straight rebounds plus a dunk and all amare was doing was slapping at the ball instead of manning up trying to rip the rebound away from a dude with a 12 inch vert.

Besides that amare never takes on the challenge of guarding the teams best bigmen. Rather let shawn williams guard dwight howard while you guard that 3pt shooting bigman? pathetic. rather guard samuels than jj hickson, rather guard joel anthony than bosh, and this is a recurring trend and he seems like he really doesnt care about D.But you will always see him running the break hard,dunking hard, drawing fouls, and shooting all the shots he wants but doesnt want to lead the team by guarding the best big on the floor. Melo although not a leader is our best leader besides billups because he makes sure
he plays hard on both ends instead of talking about our weaknesses and still not doing what you said we lacked.Melo didnt shy away from lebron instead he embraced him and D'd him up.If amare atleast tried to play D then i wouldnt have made this thread but we need to realize that amare could be our achillies heel when it comes to winning chips because he has no desire or pride on the defensive and rebounding side of basketball.

Hopefully you're wrong about him being our achilles heel come the playoffs, but I agree he seems clueless out there some times on defense. As quick as his first step is offensively you'd expect him to get a lot more charges defensively by stepping into the lane. But it seems he hasnt been taught to keep his eye on the ball and the man at all times. He doesnt see both nearly enough.

Somebody really needs to work with him this offseason...

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
Hopefully you're wrong about him being our achilles heel come the playoffs, but I agree he seems clueless out there some times on defense. As quick as his first step is offensively you'd expect him to get a lot more charges defensively by stepping into the lane. But it seems he hasnt been taught to keep his eye on the ball and the man at all times. He doesnt see both nearly enough.

Somebody really needs to work with him this offseason...

exactly, for him to be so athletic he barely uses it to shut down slower bigmen

iJoe

Rotation player
I find the biggest problem with Amare is his nickname STAT. All he cares about are stats. He doesn't box out or play position one on one defense with his man because its too much work and doesn't pay off on the stat or replay reel.

If you look at how he plays defense, his eyes are usually glued on the ball. His only interest is in making the big play on defense. He always wants to go for that big block or steal. It doesn't matter that his man now has better rebounding position or is making the backdoor cut.

Don't get me wrong, Amare certainly works his ass off on some aspects of his game like how he improved his nonexistent jump shot, its just that he has the same problem as almost every star in the game. He wants to make highlight reels, not do the grunt work and exhaust himself.

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
I find the biggest problem with Amare is his nickname STAT. All he cares about are stats. He doesn't box out or play position one on one defense with his man because its too much work and doesn't pay off on the stat or replay reel.

If you look at how he plays defense, his eyes are usually glued on the ball. His only interest is in making the big play on defense. He always wants to go for that big block or steal. It doesn't matter that his man now has better rebounding position or is making the backdoor cut.

Don't get me wrong, Amare certainly works his ass off on some aspects of his game like how he improved his nonexistent jump shot, its just that he has the same problem as almost every star in the game. He wants to make highlight reels, not do the grunt work and exhaust himself.

lol best post of the year.

:agreed: I posted something similar to this before.

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
Stat and Melo's D is suspect, we all know that. What our organization must do this offseason is put guys around our offensive superstars that are great at D and can score. This is why I was saying in the previous threads that's it's important for us to save the money we would spend on a third max contract to get a few guys that are great defenders first but that also can score 10-15 a game. Obviously this will never happen until Antoni is gone but that's what needs to happen.

We also need to get a defensive minded coach who can utilize the offensive talents of our two stars and then surround those stars with quality defenders that can also score when needed. All we have is a team full of scorers and ZERO defenders other than 2 bottom rotation guys with a coach that talks a big game on defense but shows it by letting teams score 110 pts on his D nightly. Antoni must go!

couldnt have sai it better myself

:agreed:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Honestly, their one on one defense isn't too bad. They have been hustling and showing great energy. They just have no idea on how to defend as a team and get completely lost. How many times did we see the pick and roll defense fail because Amar'e/Jeffries and whatever big didn't know where to go after they double the man going over the pick?

Just despicable.

I have been looking at some stats regarding Bulls players before Tom Thibedeau and after, and the contrast in startling with most of the players.