Carmelo Anthony at MSG tonight .. First Game-Thread in 2020

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks 5 games out of playoff spot... Magic and Nets (7-8 seeds) not uncatchable. The teams in the 9-ATL realm aren’t much better either....

Can Miller, Bullock and shrewd deadline moves propel NYK into meaningful games in March? Maybe even battling for 8th seed?

Schedule is brutal next 3 weeks... if they survive.... things looks manageable come Feb... imagine that?

Just making a run will change everything. Might even attract attention of AD and Giannis.
Most want to trade all these one year contracts but Mills want to keep these guys together to save their jobs.

mafra

Legend
it his man!! Pure and simple!!

In my book, if you hold your man to 17 points on 16 shots.... well, you did your job. No? CJ a great 1 on 1 player... an all star.... RJ part of unit that held POR to 12 4th Q points. At the very least, after calling him out in first half, he made you swallow your words tonight BiG TIME. Yes!

mafra

Legend
Most want to trade all these one year contracts but Mills want to keep these guys together to save their jobs.

Schedule means AT BEST we hover around .500 until FEB... so, I doubt their play inspires bold feelings of making a run this year... but if we survive and emerge in FEB right in the mix (within 5 games of 8th seed).... Front office won?t trade guys just for kicks... teams will have to make reasonable offer otherwise we are better off trying to win 30 games and build something for offseason and the future.

Kiyaman

Legend
Reggie the big bright spot so far with his 3 3s, we?ve been getting out gunned and Reg can help help the rest of the season.

Reg Bullock's 2nd half energy bought the real energy out of all the bench-players tonite to grab the WIN!
Frank used his first step twice for a DUNK-DUNK !!!
Frank & Dotson should have been the starters for our (Fizdale) 3 isolation Starters .. Randle/Morris/and RJ ....
I hope u watch the few minute of Dotson defensive-presence for a STOP .. Plus how well the 2nd unit performance has been out performing our starter-unit since Miller took over as head coach.

People should see what Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, and Kyle Lowry when they were in their early 20s.... Too early to give up on Frank, Knox, Trier and DSJ.

These cats don’t have onerous contracts... just relax and wait, coach and develop, and make a decision when you have too.

We ain’t getting more than a 2nd rounder for them or a bad contract. So, they have more value on this team next year than trading them.

As for RJ.... you wonder why Dolan can’t rebuild. Less than 40 games into his career, fans are already running the kid out of town. He should’ve been a senior in HS last season.

Trade back? Why? So we could draft 2 more busts. At least 90% of NBA community felt this was a 3 person draft. You don’t trade back when you have potential to get a perennial all star. Now, that doesn’t mean he will reach his ceiling... but we don’t have draft history to get cute. Either way.... it’s history so we should support the kids.... help aid their development.

Agreed on not giving up on the players you mention. On target with the contract.

RJ?? Sorry don't see what you see in him and you and I have had this conversation. Nobody told RJ to come out of school this early. So quit making excuses for him. Those problems go along with the territory of all the hype about him being so good. PROVE IT?? JUST PROVE IT!!

Yes Trade back!! Because we are a team that need more than one player to make us better at the time of the draft. Certainly I would like to think that most everybody in this forum would agree to that fact. "So we could draft 2 more busts" who are you referring too? We shouldn't make decision base on 90% of NBA community but base on the good of the NEW YORK KNICKS. Perennial All-Star move the needle and for the unteenth time Wes Unseld. Last to First!! Can RJ do that?? look at our record with him being in the starting lineup and playing the most minutes. Sorry I'm not getting behind Mills and Perrry mistakes and supporting them. Call them out for what they are at every opportunity. While we aid RJ development and hinder Trier and Dotson development. IS THAT RIGHT??

Question: If you were Dotson and Trier how would you feel about a rookie walking in and F.O giving them playing time that you have EARN?? Everybody charm in on this question.
Notice tonight how better this team plays without RJ on the floor.

mafra

Legend
Miller played 12 men tonight... 9:55 for Taj, 13 for Dot, and 10 guys over 15... this is how you get a team to defend... nobody played over 34 minutes.

mafra

Legend
Agreed on not giving up on the players you mention. On target with the contract.

RJ?? Sorry don't see what you see in him and you and I have had this conversation. Nobody told RJ to come out of school this early. So quit making excuses for him. Those problems go along with the territory of all the hype about him being so good. PROVE IT?? JUST PROVE IT!!

Yes Trade back!! Because we are a team that need more than one player to make us better at the time of the draft. Certainly I would like to think that most everybody in this forum would agree to that fact. "So we could draft 2 more busts" who are you referring too? We shouldn't make decision base on 90% of NBA community but base on the good of the NEW YORK KNICKS. Perennial All-Star move the needle and for the unteenth time Wes Unseld. Last to First!! Can RJ do that?? look at our record with him being in the starting lineup and playing the most minutes. Sorry I'm not getting behind Mills and Perrry mistakes and supporting them. Call them out for what they are at every opportunity. While we aid RJ development and hinder Trier and Dotson development. IS THAT RIGHT??

Question: If you were Dotson and Trier how would you feel about a rookie walking in and F.O giving them playing time that you have EARN?? Everybody charm in on this question.

This is the draft to trade back... not last draft. You have to keep drafting the upper echelon prospectors and have 2/6, 3/8 hit (like PHI). RJ was legendary in his HS years. Top recruit in 2 classes.... he?s not the perfect or ideal top prospect, but he was highly rated nonetheless. He?s also a grinder. I?m confident he?ll be a player for us for many years. I don?t trust us trading back and finding gems.... look at how we handled second round.... Not targeting Paschal (from Dobbs Ferry) and taking Izzy.

You are in the minority with RJ. As a NYK fan, I hope you are wrong. Why you want to bash a teenager every day, with every post... seems odd to me. He?s a Knick now... unless you want team to stink another decade, why not tone down the negativity some... nonsense to get upset over things beyond our control.

In my book, if you hold your man to 17 points on 16 shots.... well, you did your job. No? CJ a great 1 on 1 player... an all star.... RJ part of unit that held POR to 12 4th Q points. At the very least, after calling him out in first half, he made you swallow your words tonight BiG TIME. Yes!

The second unit is reason for the Portland 4th problems and RJ wasn't a part of that. Why don't you quit trying to give him everything that good about this team because to me he one of the main reason for the poor performance of this team.
Don't mind giving credit were credit is due. When he earn something I'll be glad to give it to him. HE IS A MISTAKE, Mafra... We aren't in a position to make mistakes and for those that can't see it go back to the Denver game thread and read C. Gaines evaluation... Page 3 I think. Just read it and ask yourself do you trust Gaines or Mills/Perry.

mafra

Legend
The second unit is reason for the Portland 4th problems and RJ wasn't a part of that. Why don't you quit trying to give him everything that good about this team because to me he one of the main reason for the poor performance of this team.
Don't mind giving credit were credit is due. When he earn something I'll be glad to give it to him. HE IS A MISTAKE, Mafra... We aren't in a position to make mistakes and for those that can't see it go back to the Denver game thread and read C. Gaines evaluation... Page 3 I think. Just read it and ask yourself do you trust Gaines or Mills/Perry.

Gaines? He took Frank over Mitchell!

He?s not a mistake, and if he is it won?t be evident until years 4 and 5, not after 50 games... what?s the point of blaming RJ every day in every post for everything GM that?s gone wrong with NY last 2 decades? After your post, CJ only hit 3 more shots... RJ played 25 minutes.... he finished the game... it?s transparent on your part to claim he did nothing of value in the court.

For a teenager, I though he played well and that equity will be important to bank for the future.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Schedule means AT BEST we hover around .500 until FEB... so, I doubt their play inspires bold feelings of making a run this year... but if we survive and emerge in FEB right in the mix (within 5 games of 8th seed).... Front office won’t trade guys just for kicks... teams will have to make reasonable offer otherwise we are better off trying to win 30 games and build something for offseason and the future.

I agree 100% .. Three game win streak .. let coach Mike Miller create as many team-ball winning players as possible throughout the remainder of the season. Since Miller came on I see the Knicks winning 30+ games this season.

mafra

Legend
I think it?s really important to play .500 ball rest of the way, break the 30 win barrier, and start building something to move forward.

mafra

Legend
RJ Barrett shot just 3-of-12 from the field on Wednesday, going 0-of-1 at the line with four rebounds and zero assists, steals or blocks in 25 minutes.

New York has climbed from No. 30 to 18 in offensive rating since coach Mike Miller took over, but Barrett hasn't benefited much. His True Shooting percentage is still in the cellar at 45.6% the past few weeks...

JULIUS RANDLE
PF, NEW YORK KNICKS

Julius Randle racked up 22 points (8-of-15 FGs, 3-of-4 FTs), 13 boards, three assists, three 3-pointers, one steal and one block during Wednesday's win vs. the Blazers.

The Knicks have opened up the paint more in recent weeks, which benefits a guy like Randle who relies on bullying his way to the rim. "I?m reading [double-teams] better, getting to spots better, recognizing how they?re playing and playing at a better pace," Randle said. "Coach [Miller] is doing a great job of getting me in spots where I can be efficient."

????-

I do think it?s time to scale RJ?s minutes back some... Bullock needs to start, and Dot and RJ should split the backup minutes. Let RJ learn some now while watching... RJ should be getting about 16 minutes a night until he starts to get his shot back.

mafra

Legend
Mitchell Robinson is inhuman. He tied both his career-high in points (22) and the Knicks? record for most field goals made without a miss in a single game (11) in one game.

Frank even drove baseline and slammed it home!

This is the draft to trade back... not last draft. You have to keep drafting the upper echelon prospectors and have 2/6, 3/8 hit (like PHI). RJ was legendary in his HS years. Top recruit in 2 classes.... he’s not the perfect or ideal top prospect, but he was highly rated nonetheless. He’s also a grinder. I’m confident he’ll be a player for us for many years. I don’t trust us trading back and finding gems.... look at how we handled second round.... Not targeting Paschal (from Dobbs Ferry) and taking Izzy.

You are in the minority with RJ. As a NYK fan, I hope you are wrong. Why you want to bash a teenager every day, with every post... seems odd to me. He’s a Knick now... unless you want team to stink another decade, why not tone down the negativity some... nonsense to get upset over things beyond our control.

Sir, I been in the minority all my damn life!! So what else is NEW!! There no problem if I'm wrong... The problem is if I'm right!!! Now, WHAT THEN, SIR??

Ok, you are a 100% correct about things beyond our control. It doesn't mean I have to like those things or go along with them. Negativity is something that is produce by Mills/Perry not by me. So I made none of these so-call right decision but they did. Does it sound like I want this team to stink. I'm the one that told you countless time when asked about trading back who to draft and one of the 3 players was Paschal. Again quit using he just a teenager... He made a grown up decision to come into the NBA it a lot of pressure that goes with the territory. If you and other have given Frank , Dotson and Trier the support you given RJ then I could see what you talking about. At the expense of other players this team has suffer because of the support given to RJ. I read that the F.O. had purposely not played Trier in order to showcase RJ. Sir, that not right when we have a team with this record. I as a fan don't deserve to be put in a position to support mistakes that I see.

We keep having this same back and forward about trading back. Would you not like to have Jaxon Hayes Paschal and Walkers etc. on this team instead of just RJ? This was highly possible because ATL might have wanted RJ. Nevertheless we needed more than one player that doesn't move the needle for that higher pick. For all of the accolades that you and other shower down on him there is C. Gaines evaluation(Page 3 of the Nuggets game thread). Gaines evaluation should be very troubling to every Knicks fan.

My problems with RJ is the same one that players had with Trier last year and with Randle and RJ this year. They need the ball to effect the game. Let me say it again. THEY NEED THE BALL TO EFFECT THE GAME. They do nothing to help us as a team if they don't have the ball in their hands. If you recall the team meeting call by Morris. What was the main issue was that the Randle and RJ was holding the ball. Now that just one thing and I bet starting was another but no one said it. The giving of starting position when a player doesn't earn is a major problem on any team. The competitive nature in players. I'm not going to bust my butt to earn a position and you turn around and give it to some so-call hot shot that bought in.

Gaines? He took Frank over Mitchell!

He’s not a mistake, and if he is it won’t be evident until years 4 and 5, not after 50 games... what’s the point of blaming RJ every day in every post for everything GM that’s gone wrong with NY last 2 decades? After your post, CJ only hit 3 more shots... RJ played 25 minutes.... he finished the game... it’s transparent on your part to claim he did nothing of value in the court.

For a teenager, I though he played well and that equity will be important to bank for the future.

Why did Gaines draft Frank? It was because of the offense that Phil wanted to run. Correct!!! Who was better suit to run that offense? Gaines said Frank.
Not a mistake under those conditions. Blaming RJ is the same as blaming Mills/Perry. They both go hand and hand. There is no different. They make mistakes and the mistake is RJ. See when have you ever show as much support for Frank and Dotson as you show for RJ. They been on this team longer. They haven't been given anything on a silver plate they had to earn it.
Again RJ wasn't on the floor when the Knicks were playing good defense in the 2nd half. If you think he played well and place pennies in the bank for the future. Good, but nickles and dimes don't help.

Kiyaman

Legend

The rookie RJ Barrett's quick first step athleticism at age 19 has grab a huge fan base at MSG, I see potential, and lots of promise in RJ Barrett's future career.
Tonight, I'm happy coach Miller gave RJ 25 minute, which is the correct amount of playing-time RJ should've been receiving at the start of the season under plop-plop Fiz-Fiz.
Reg Bullock's performance tonight look like a winning 27-30 minute SG .. RJ Barrett's playing-time will be reduce in 2020 by a healthy Bullock.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mitchell Robinson is inhuman. He tied both his career-high in points (22) and the Knicks’ record for most field goals made without a miss in a single game (11) in one game.

Frank even drove baseline and slammed it home!

MitchRob has become our consistent TOP performing young player on the roster .. the defense-intensity Frank & MitchRob bring in a lineup will become another Clyde & Reed in the Knicks future.

mafra

Legend
Let?s not forget... we got MRob bc of the Melo deal. With the second round pick OKC sent to NYK... boom... Mitch! And MRob is better right now that top pick Ayton of that draft class.

mafra

Legend

Clarence Gaines
@ClarenceGaines2
?
2h
Just watched
@nyknicks
bring in 2020 in style - foiled
@ChinaJoeFlynn
's Asian premonition "I'm 13 hours ahead right now. In Asia, the Knicks have already lost." More importantly, watched
@FrankLikina
play his best floor game ever in a Knicks uniform - Confidence is acquiring him.