Carmelo: 'Maybe I should shoot less?'

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Melo: Maybe I'm shooting too much

January, 22, 2012
Jan 22

1:40AM ET

By Ian Begley

After the Knicks' double-overtime loss to Denver on Saturday, Carmelo Anthony sat in silence at his locker, in full uniform, for about 15 minutes, thinking about the events of the past week.

The Knicks (6-9) had lost four home games in the past six days, two to teams with 4-9 records at the time.

In those four games, Anthony shot a combined 35-of-105 (33 percent).

"Maybe I need to not take so many shots. I don't know," he said. "There's just a bunch of stuff that goes through my mind. Just [trying to figure] out ways to make other guys better. Should I pass it more?"

In the midst of questioning everything, Anthony accepted blame for the Knicks' six-game losing streak.

"The coaches do run the offense through me so I'll take it. I'l take that blame," Anthony said.

He went 10-for-30 against Denver, missing 13 of his first 16 attempts.

But Anthony had his moments.

He hit his final four shots of regulation, including a 22-foot jumper with 1.7 seconds to play that sent the game to overtime.

But he couldn't muster enough in the two subsequent overtimes to get the Knicks over the hump.

Mike D'Antoni said after the game that his struggling team has a gorilla on it's back right now.

It also has a star who isn't making shots.

"The shots that I've been taking, I'll take those shots every night," Anthony said after going 3-for-9 in both overtimes. "Those are shots that I work on in the gym. They're just not falling for me right now."

Anthony hasn't been the same since returning from right ankle and left wrist injuries last Monday against the Magic. The Knicks are off on Sunday. Anthony said he will meet with the team's medical staff on Monday to determine whether he should sit out Tuesday's game -- and possibly more -- to allow the injuries to heal.

"I'm kind of hard-headed sometimes [when trainers tell] me to sit out games. I don't really know how to take that. But maybe it's time to re-evaluate that," he said.

Making matters worse for Anthony, with their win on Saturday the Nuggets improved to 31-16 since the trade that sent Anthony to the Knicks. New York fell to 20-28 since the trade. Saturday's game was the teams' first since the blockbuster deal last February.

And one of the key pieces in the trade -- former Knick Danilo Gallinari -- torched his former club career-high 37 points.

Gallinari got to 37 by taking 11 fewer shots than Anthony, who right now is a star who can't shoot straight.

"When you're missing shots and they're right there, you say, 'Maybe the next one, maybe the next one.' That's kind of the mentality you have. Maybe I need to stop shooting a lot. I don't know," Anthony said. "There's just a bunch of stuff that goes through my mind. Obviously, that's the case when the shot's are not falling."

Clearly he's at a loss for words. No doubt there is an entire library of controversies behind the scenes.

We don't get it either, Melo.

EDIT: link - http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...oting-too-much

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Well, at least that `s a step in the right direction. Let`s see if he means it or is it just lip service.

Of course, it probably doesn`t help that he has a coach who just tells him to just keep shooting. I think he should sit out the next couple of games, maybe it would give his wrist a little time to heal up. After all, `Melo is and has always been a great shooter. Having a bad wrist certainly could be why he is missing so much.

fender0577

Rotation player
Shoot less?What alternative do we have, walker, TD, Fields.I'll take my chances with Melo, but i would like to see better shot selection, and quicker passing from Melo.Sometimes guys are wide open and he's just standing their holding the ball, i don't know if that's the coach telling him to shoot every time, or he doesn't trust his teammates, but he needs to get the ball out faster.

KingofNy

Starter
That's all we need, one more player without confidence and scared to shoot... as if we don't have enough of them already. It's not just Melo playing bad, he's just taking the blame for the team. Pretty soon the world needs to blame the real problem.

Sage

Rotation player
It's not about shooting less. If they played more of a team-oriented game, he (and others) would get better shots.

CoolClyde

melo fail-o

"maybe", "i don't know", "maybe", "i don't know".
this is not a confident superstar. it's a dumb f*cking talented shooter.

"the coaches run the offense through me"
and why the f*ck is that? therein lies the root of the problems!

clueless Antoni and his kiss-ass yes-men minions do not have a game plan when a PG is NOT running the show for them. no more Steve Nash to think for you, no smart PG to distribute the ball, get into the paint, make essential pick and roll and backdoor plays, and allow Melo to stop thinking with his tiny brain and get into the flow of the offense.

but WAIT!

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
"maybe" ?????

lol I know, right. Anthony is a bigtime ballhog. I'm looking to see him take no more than 16 shots per game. He needs to learn what the word pass means.

I understand that Antoni wants him to jack up shots, but he needs to know when to stop.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I feel like this entire website is turning into a broken record. I come on here and it seems like the same posts over and over. But I guess I'll say something I know I've read others say in that when we have a PG who can distribute the ball then Melo will take less shots and everyone else's productivity will go up.

Just because Melo is an all star and the leader of our team I'm sure his entire life on the basketball court he has been the guy who u give the ball to and let do his thing. Now you want him to turn into the guy who sets up everyone by knowing their games like the back of his hand and that's harder then you think... especially at this level of play when you are going up against other pro athletes and coaches who have been at it for a min.

STAT will get the ball closer

Chandler will get the ball closer

Fields will be the cutter he once was and not have to dribble as much

Shump won't have to work so hard while at the same time learning the NBA game. - If you feared when Landry hit the wall look how hard we are working Shumpert THIS early.

TD will hopefully relax and remember how to shoot again.

Walker, Jeffries, Bibby and Harrelson when he gets better just need to continue what they are doing.

In all reality we need BD or whoever PG u think we need and a back up PG to help the second unit flow as smooth as the first but for now I guess all we can do as fans is bite the bullet and wait.

Trades don't make any sense right now and believe me the Knicks front office knows this(that's why they are paid professionals and not forum members) and we all know that Coach has until BD comes back and then some to see how that works before anything happens in that position.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I really and truly wish we would've not included Gallo in that trade.

Kills me to see a performance like that against us.. w Melo taking so many shots and us still losing.

Ugh!!! I hate Dolan!!!!

nuckles2k2

Superstar
This is going in every thread if it has to.

Yes, Melo should shoot less. The coach also shouldn't say that if he's 2 for 12, thats ok, cause we don't look at "stats in that manor"

Makes me wonder what plays are REALLY being called. Not what MDA "experts" on KOL think he's doing based on how man plays he has in his playbook, but what direction is he actually giving to his guys?

Could have something to do with why STAT is shooting 41% and Melo is shooting 40%. Michael Andrew D'Antoni doesn't look at stats "in that manor."

That stat is field goal percentage, what kind of shit is this for a coach to say.....ever? Was he nervous? Did he misspeak? The constant Iso's and those percentages say he's being candid.

TakMan

Rotation player
Can't believe what my eyes are witnessing. Next we'll be reading about Eddy Curry considering eating less. Of course he needs to shoot less; Not because he's a bad shooter, or in a slump. He needs to shoot less so that we can finally begin to look like a team. We have the ability to threaten from every spot. Fields' cuts into the basket, Chandler's presence in the paint, Stoudamire's mid-range shots and his drives, Anthony's ability to score from anywhere; Add Bibby's three game and (hopefully) Davis' decent shot, and you've got an all around offence orientated team.

Anthony has taken it upon himself to carry this team. His inability to do so has demolished both his confidence, along with his team mates who realise that in Anthony's (and potentially the coach's) eyes they are not capable of contributing on the offensive end. Thus we are left with what we have been witnessing throughout this season. This team can gel, and they can perform at a top level; to do so however, they will need to reconsider their entire outlook on how the game is played. It's not too late.

TakMan

Rotation player
I really and truly wish we would've not included Gallo in that trade.

Kills me to see a performance like that against us.. w Melo taking so many shots and us still losing.

Ugh!!! I hate Dolan!!!!

Gallinari is shit. He was not a team player and his shooting ability was/is average at best. So he had a good game. The potential the knicks have at the moment beats anything they would have had pre-trade.

skisloper

Starter
Gallinari is shit. He was not a team player and his shooting ability was/is average at best. So he had a good game. The potential the knicks have at the moment beats anything they would have had pre-trade.

You out of your mind......Gallo is a solid player and a win/win to have on your team. He has had many good games with Denver...He averages 15 solid point and shoots a decent %.

what makes him shit ? because we traded him...

TakMan

Rotation player
I'm going to revoke the word shit and replace it with 'nothing special', cos that's exactly what he is: Nothing special. I must have got a tad bit aggravated with the illogical pre-trade nostalgia that surrounds us today.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Why do people have so much vitriol and hate towards Danillo Gallinari?

I don't. He is what he is. Never going to be a superstar but maybe a couple times All Star that play the right way. I think ppl as of right now hate to see him puting big numbers on us playing the right way but if we were 12-3 or even 10-5 they wouldnt care about him that much.

iSaYughh

Starter
I'm going to revoke the word shit and replace it with 'nothing special', cos that's exactly what he is: Nothing special. I must have got a tad bit aggravated with the illogical pre-trade nostalgia that surrounds us today.

Dude. Don't front about a player you know so little about, bc it just makes what he did to us, and that he will continue to improve, even worse.

I'm not trying to punk you, but it is what it is. Lotta people obv didn't understand Gallo when he was a Knick, and some still don't. Who really cares, since he doesn't even play here anymore...but let's just stop the bullshit. It was bad enough when Gallo *was* a Knick. Let it stop now that he is gone.

He is one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA. Kind of extra-important too, if you have a team with a "superstar(s)" on it.

.370%+ career 3pt shooter.

Above average rebounder.

Elite passer (and not just his assist numbers, but quality of passes).

Intelligent.

Not turnover prone.

Superb slasher.

.850%+ FT shooter.

Plays good defense, with good effort.

23 years old.

He has a 20+ PER this year despite shooting from behind the arc at a clip .6 below his career numbers.

Just don't front so much about the guy. There's no need anymore, he doesn't play here.