Chris Paul to Knicks?

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
^ agreed.

Chris Paul would def be worth a max IF Wade/James aren't available obviously...

Unless though, you can pair him with a Paul/Johnson Paul/Bosh set, i'm not sure i'd want Paul/Lee over Johnson/Bosh..

As I said, CP3 is worth just as much as Bosh OR Johnson, if not more...but alone, I just do not see him being able to do much... he's not a Kobe/James/Dirk/Wade... he can not single handedly take a team like the Knicks and bring them anywhere near a championship...and that is more of a testament to our [bad] status than anything else..

It would either take 2 stars (and i'm not really counting Lee as a star), or an elite player like James / Wade to bring us anywhere... While Paul is still one the best, i do not think he's capable as a PG to salvage this team alone.. See: hornets record.

I love Paul, but I'd be rather disappointed if we spent the last few years in the state we did only to sign him and only to see us limp into the 6, 7 or 8 th spot in playoffs as a result..

not that i think he'd ever be available, just hypothetically.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I read about this somewhere or heard it on espn but supposedly the Hornets might get new ownership in the future. If the new owner isn't as god cheap as George Shinn there could be trouble. Also rumors afloating that the Hornets could package Peja (expiring next year) and Collision to get a top talent. So while I'm all for getting Chris Paul, I'm just being a realist when I'm saying that it probably won't happen.

But just imagine a pick and roll with Cp3 and D-Lee...I'd get even more male induced orgasms...

Paul1355

All Star
Here's another article:
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/03/19/chris-paul-too-good-to-not-trade/

I would prefer Paul over Lebron. Anybody and everybody on the Knicks is worth Chris Paul.
the fact that Lebron wins single handedly by himself and Chris Paul's Hornets are a .500 team with him and no players I will give Lebron the heavy favor for who is better.

Paul and Lebron are at their best with scorers around them..so Paul would be the #3 best option after James and D Wade....

The question is....

Paul or Carmelo in 2011?

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
the fact that Lebron wins single handedly by himself and Chris Paul's Hornets are a .500 team with him and no players I will give Lebron the heavy favor for who is better.

Paul and Lebron are at their best with scorers around them..so Paul would be the #3 best option after James and D Wade....

The question is....

Paul or Carmelo in 2011?
That actually isnt the question because Paul is NOT a free agent in 2011!!!!!

Im tired of people saying he is! The Hornets locked him up AFTER that list of free agents on ESPN was released...he is not going anywhere via free agency.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I doubt they would trade CP3 for just cap relief. I think it's more likely to do a deal like COLLISON (who is pretty damn good and has good upside) and Okafor...

Curry and Chandler for Okafor and Collison...

We get our center, and our Point guard. And we get rid of the double down deluxe. However, history is known for repeating himself, so I wouldn't be surprised if years form now, Dwight comes to New York with a young SG, much like the Kobe/Shaq Lakers.....who knows for sure though.

I read about this somewhere or heard it on espn but supposedly the Hornets might get new ownership in the future. If the new owner isn't as god cheap as George Shinn there could be trouble. Also rumors afloating that the Hornets could package Peja (expiring next year) and Collision to get a top talent. So while I'm all for getting Chris Paul, I'm just being a realist when I'm saying that it probably won't happen.

But just imagine a pick and roll with Cp3 and D-Lee...I'd get even more male induced orgasms...

you and orgasms lately....

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I doubt they would trade CP3 for just cap relief. I think it's more likely to do a deal like COLLISON (who is pretty damn good and has good upside) and Okafor...

Thing is, Collison has shown himself to be damned good, and since he's so cheap for the Hornets to keep, it's going to be hard for the Hornets to dump him.

Whereas Chris Paul's affect on the salary cap is much much larger.

I mean, I feel as long as we're taking Okafor's contract we could probably get a pretty good trade done if we throw in Wilson Chandler and somebody else. Okafor's contract is bad to the point where the Hornets would sacrifice the likes of a draft pick to dump it, and instead of a draft pick, if we give them a player and ask for Collison/CP3 instead (for MORE cap relief for them), it really helps.

Money is king in business, and the Hornets, being strapped for cash, are no different.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Thing is, Collison has shown himself to be damned good, and since he's so cheap for the Hornets to keep, it's going to be hard for the Hornets to dump him.

Whereas Chris Paul's affect on the salary cap is much much larger.

I mean, I feel as long as we're taking Okafor's contract we could probably get a pretty good trade done if we throw in Wilson Chandler and somebody else. Okafor's contract is bad to the point where the Hornets would sacrifice the likes of a draft pick to dump it, and instead of a draft pick, if we give them a player and ask for Collison/CP3 instead (for MORE cap relief for them), it really helps.

Money is king in business, and the Hornets, being strapped for cash, are no different.
I understand its a business, but by the looks of your post, you seem to be completely clueless about running a business. WAGES, which in the NBA are contracts, are only part of running a business. If you are strapped for cash like the Hornets, the goal is simple: eliminate bad contracts (okafor) with cheap incentives for the opposite party (Collison), WHILE maintaining your main source of revenue, your superstar (cPaul). Without Chris Paul, the Hornets become dismal bottom feeders with no star to bring in revenue, furthering the money problems that already exist. I agree with streedreams in tha Collison is a much more likely scenario if a trade were to happen...because like you said...its a business!

nk11

Benchwarmer
CP3
DOUGLAS
GALLO
LEE
BOSH
is a incredible team in your opinion?

not at all.

we'd hit alotta jumpers, but give up 100 points in the paint every night

plus lee and bosh cant play together, they need the ball in the same spots all the time.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I understand its a business, but by the looks of your post, you seem to be completely clueless about running a business. WAGES, which in the NBA are contracts, are only part of running a business. If you are strapped for cash like the Hornets, the goal is simple: eliminate bad contracts (okafor) with cheap incentives for the opposite party (Collison), WHILE maintaining your main source of revenue, your superstar (cPaul). Without Chris Paul, the Hornets become dismal bottom feeders with no star to bring in revenue, furthering the money problems that already exist. I agree with streedreams in tha Collison is a much more likely scenario if a trade were to happen...because like you said...its a business!

The problem is the fact that you're calling Collison a "cheap incentive" - he's way more than that; he's already climbed his way into being one of the top 7 or so PGs in the league (or if not, he's certainly up there), and he's got a whole lot of potential. Collison is a General Manager's dream - the ability to post up numbers amongst the best PGs in the league while costing less than 2 million dollars a year - who wouldn't want a player like that?

The Hornets are a pretty bad team as it is. If all that's going to happen if they dump CP3 and build around Collison is that they're going to lose a couple of extra games (cause, face it, I don't think the Hornets would've won much more than they did if CP3 hadn't gotten hurt), then why wouldn't they choose to keep Collison and dump the 35 million dollars due to Chris Paul over the next three years?

If the Hornets can field a team without CP3 comparable in quality to a team with CP3, then it would be in their best interests to dump CP3. As much revenue as CP3 brings into the Hornets' organization, he's owed 35 million over the next four years and I'm going to say that he's probably not bringing in nearly as much money as he's costing.

If Collison were substantially worse, or if the Hornets were a team that was moderately decent, I could see the reason in why they'd want to keep him over Collison. But Collison is pretty good, and the Hornets are pretty bad, so keeping Chris Paul doesn't really make much sense for them, unless they really think they can go far in the playoffs in the next few years...

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
The problem is the fact that you're calling Collison a "cheap incentive" - he's way more than that; he's already climbed his way into being one of the top 7 or so PGs in the league (or if not, he's certainly up there), and he's got a whole lot of potential. Collison is a General Manager's dream - the ability to post up numbers amongst the best PGs in the league while costing less than 2 million dollars a year - who wouldn't want a player like that?

The Hornets are a pretty bad team as it is. If all that's going to happen if they dump CP3 and build around Collison is that they're going to lose a couple of extra games (cause, face it, I don't think the Hornets would've won much more than they did if CP3 hadn't gotten hurt), then why wouldn't they choose to keep Collison and dump the 35 million dollars due to Chris Paul over the next three years?

If the Hornets can field a team without CP3 comparable in quality to a team with CP3, then it would be in their best interests to dump CP3. As much revenue as CP3 brings into the Hornets' organization, he's owed 35 million over the next four years and I'm going to say that he's probably not bringing in nearly as much money as he's costing.

If Collison were substantially worse, or if the Hornets were a team that was moderately decent, I could see the reason in why they'd want to keep him over Collison. But Collison is pretty good, and the Hornets are pretty bad, so keeping Chris Paul doesn't really make much sense for them, unless they really think they can go far in the playoffs in the next few years...
This logic makes NO sense!!!

Collison is a cheap incentive, because he is CHEAP, and he is the upside to taking Okafors horrible contract.

If they trade Paul, the financial situation goes from shit to worse, as Collison is not even close to being a superstar quality marketable player. It may only cost the Hornets a few wins, but it will cost them millions in revenue. How do you think they have the money to pay CP3??? From the money HE makes them with his superstar stats. Without him their revenue halts, simple as that. You dont trade away your most marketable player, especially to DOWNGRADE your team, even if it will only cost a few wins. its simple economics

Both of your ideas make sense, it just depends what N.O.'s motives are. Depending on who their lottery pick ends up being and how effective they prove to be they could decide to dish CP3 for a wing player and a post player, cut costs and commit to Collison for the future, but if they go with the other suggestion then they probably end up with a decent scoring guard, Ala John Salmons, in exchange for Collison and say, James Posey

Your point about revenue is a good one NYK, but i believe the Hornets attendance is one of the lowest in the league. If that's true, I'm not sure how much of an affect it would have, especially if the trade resulted in a more well rounded team that could possibly make the playoffs and in that case make up any lost revenue due to CP3 being gone in the playoffs.

If we were to make a trade involving Collison, it would probably be something like: Collison + West for Lee + Chandler + 2nd round pick

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Now Walsh can move on to the "real" season for Knicks

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - At the culmination of the first phase of Donnie Walsh's rebuilding plan - the second phase begins in July - the Knicks' president said in his postseason address Thursday that he feels no pressure to justify two losing seasons of payroll-dumping by producing a much-needed star player in free agency.

But Mike D'Antoni, who has those 103 losses in two seasons on his permanent record, does feel the pressure of having success with whomever Walsh delivers this summer. If the Knicks don't end their six-season playoff drought next year, D'Antoni said, "You'll be asking somebody else about how to get back to the playoffs."

Still, D'Antoni actually called the nine straight losing seasons this franchise has endured "a selling point" to prospective free agents and added, "That's one of the reasons why I came here. If you do get this thing turned around, knowing how hard it is, it just makes it even that more exciting. It takes a little leap of faith."... See More

On that platform, Walsh, D'Antoni and the Knicks will use every resource available - the cachet of New York and playing at Madison Square Garden, the many celebrities and people of influence who want to see a star here and, perhaps, even the Yankees - to recruit the best player in the game today: LeBron James.

Walsh can't publicly acknowledge James - or any other potential free agent - until July 1, and with a growing belief that James already is leaning toward staying in Cleveland, Walsh and his staff have various game plans to target other top-shelf free agents such as Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amar'e Stoudemire and Chris Bosh. They also can target some secondary candidates, such as Memphis Grizzlies restricted free agent Rudy Gay, Marcus Camby, Kyle Korver, Luke Ridnour, Steve Blake and even Shaun Livingston.

Walsh was quick to remind the assembled media that cap space might be used to trade for players already under contract. One of the first calls Walsh is expected to make is to the financially challenged New Orleans Hornets to see if they would be interested in moving All-Star Chris Paul, with the promise that the Knicks also would take on one of their other large contracts to provide much-needed payroll relief.

Though that scenario likely is a long shot, Walsh is expected to be involved in this type of aggressive thinking all summer.

In the meantime, the team wants to see improvement from the few remaining players on the roster: Danilo Gallinari (stronger), Bill Walker (thinner), Wilson Chandler (healthier), Toney Douglas (bigger) and Eddy Curry (just get on a basketball court). The Knicks don't have their first-round pick this year (that goes to the Utah Jazz), but they have two second-round picks, and Walsh said he will consider acquiring a late first-rounder if they see a player they really want.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...ve-on-to-the-real-season-for-knicks-1.1864377

Looks like we're not the only ones talking about this possibility. To me, this seems like the best 2nd option. Forget Johnson, Bosh, Amare and even Wade. Let's get Chris Paul!!

nyk_nyk

All Star
The Knicks are really going to have to address the pg issue about as much as they want LJ and Bosh/Amare. Simply put, we don't have one under contract. I would resign Sergio just in case (he'll be better next year) and push really hard on a Paul deal if I'm Walsh.

At the same time, we do need wait and see how the Bosh, Amare, James, Wade scenerios play out first. It will be a VERY busy summer for Walsh.

Could Rubio be a possibility???

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The Knicks are really going to have to address the pg issue about as much as they want LJ and Bosh/Amare. Simply put, we don't have one under contract. I would resign Sergio just in case (he'll be better next year) and push really hard on a Paul deal if I'm Walsh.

At the same time, we do need wait and see how the Bosh, Amare, James, Wade scenerios play out first. It will be a VERY busy summer for Walsh.

Could Rubio be a possibility???

I think we should only wait to see what Lebron does. After that, go after Paul. To me, Paul is worth a max. Bosh, Johnson and Amare are not. Wade is but we have less of a chance at him than any of the free agents. For a system so dependant on a quality PG, it seems only logical to go after the best PG in the game.

I would love Rubio but I am very doubtful. Kahn is acting like a jackass, as usual, and seems rather adamane that he intends on keeping him. Plus, he won't be available until 2011.

Paul1355

All Star
we should sign and trade Lee for either Collison/Okafor...or Collison and a 1st round pick

OR

Go after Paul somehow and give up everything we've got which isn't much but young talent, Lee in a sign and trade, Curry's one year deal and another 1st round pick in 2011...i'd trade all of that for Chris Paul.

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
the thing about the new orleans is that they already know they have a true point guard in collison... so if i was the gm i'll be like damn am over the cap let me trade cp3 because i know he might bolt soon his contract is done i think is 2012 correct me if am wrong .. but the gm wants to get rid of those awful contracts they have in okafor & posey ... so trading curry/chandler they would save a butt whole of money ....By the way, with the new cap estimate, the luxury tax threshold will be at $68 million. The Hornets are are at $73 million for next season so just dumping a guy like Posey would save them $10 million next season alone. Then, you take in to account that Curry's $11 million would expire the following season and they can save a lot of money. Just saying

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
This logic makes NO sense!!!

Collison is a cheap incentive, because he is CHEAP, and he is the upside to taking Okafors horrible contract.

If they trade Paul, the financial situation goes from shit to worse, as Collison is not even close to being a superstar quality marketable player. It may only cost the Hornets a few wins, but it will cost them millions in revenue. How do you think they have the money to pay CP3??? From the money HE makes them with his superstar stats. Without him their revenue halts, simple as that. You dont trade away your most marketable player, especially to DOWNGRADE your team, even if it will only cost a few wins. its simple economics

You make sense, but in a city like New Orleans, I'm not sure just how much revenue Chris Paul brings to the Hornets and whether or not it outweighs the amount of money that they pay him. The Hornets are struggling for attendance as it is, so I'm curious as to what would happen to attendance and ticket sales if CP3 left - surely, they'd go down - but would it outweigh the money they gain by shipping off his salary? There's no way to know, frankly.

All I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a crazy idea or unheard of idea if the Hornets decided to have a firesale and re-stock their team with draft picks and build it around Collison.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
just saw CP3 at the jordan roundball high school classic on espn2 sitting front row in MSG wearing a yankee cap...hmmmm.