Derrick Williams....all THINGS

DrB

Benchwarmer
Help me out. I am a huge D Will fan. He's an instant scoring machine, great athletic ability , and second Knick in getting to the free throw line. I love the opinions on the forum so help me out here. Should D Will get more minutes than the 16 he is averaging? Some here have said his defense can be suspect. Some say he makes "bone head plays". I will be interest to hear what you think. I will post his stats soon.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I haven't been paying attention to Calderon's defense, but if his is as bad as people say, Derrick Williams should definitely be getting more playing time. Let him make mistakes. He brings a much needed scoring punch at times. If Melo was consistently scoring then fine, but he isn't, so let him play through the mistakes.

tiger0330

Legend
He seems to be coming back to earth a little bit. I'd like to see more of him on the floor just to see if he's the pre-Knicks DWill or the pre-season/1st game DWill. Had a golden opportunity when Affalo was out to try him at the 2 some but when AA comes back, DWill probably won't get more than 20mpg going forward.

Kiyaman

Legend
The preseason lineup of .. PK, Quinn, D.Will, Galloway, Grant .. had potential to outscore opponents 5 out of 5 times with D.Will as the top scorer. We cant have that in the regular season on Melo's Knick team .. Melo has to be the top scorer of every game, even if it takes him 30 shot attempts.

Lets see .. D.Will was our top scorer in the preseason games averaging 23 minute per game, and 17 points.
Now in the regular season D.Will is averaging 16 minute per game, and 10 pts.

Last edited:

DrB

Benchwarmer
He's a 6'8 Power Forward

He seems to be coming back to earth a little bit. I'd like to see more of him on the floor just to see if he's the pre-Knicks DWill or the pre-season/1st game DWill. Had a golden opportunity when Affalo was out to try him at the 2 some but when AA comes back, DWill probably won't get more than 20mpg going forward.

I don't see Derrick Wiliams at shooting guard but he should be the INSTANT OFFENSE as either the sixth man ala J.R two years ago. He can be used as a MELO substitute , start with certain match ups or come in for PORZINGUS who tends to early foul trouble. He has played over LANCE THOMAS who as asked to contain KOBE when we played L.A. I suggest going YAHOO SPORTS and type in DERRICK WILLIAMS. He can give us 20-25 points if he gets 30 minutes or more of playing time. I need to see his REBOUNDING and DEFENSE and I will watch that as I isolate him on my KNICK REPLAYS.
I have seen a highlight film of him showboating in a blow out game which went BAD. He stole the ball and on a breakaway threw the ball against the backboard and was trying a SLAM DUNK on the catch and MISSED :crossfingers:. I know those antics are behind him.
HE WAS THE 2ND PICK when he was DRAFTED. The skill set he has is enormous. We have seen it in game 1 in MILWAUKEE and in the PRE SEASON. He works great with GRANT as seen by a monster ALLEY OOP one hand stuff.
THANKS for the two insightful responses. I will continue to update this thread with STATS.

Kiyaman

Legend
D.Will is a 6.8 SF

Derrick Williams NBA career has had no success as a PF, bc he is a natural scoring SF.
Lance Thomas NBA career has had no success as a SF, bc he is a natural big-guard.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Love your observations, Kiyaman as usual but as far as I am concerned this D Will is approaching playing basketball as a mature 25 year old instead of the enormously talented but brain dead misfit on other teams. He was then relegated to seating a lot but I think Jackson recognized his ability to be a fit in NY given a new environment. I think Curt Rambis appreciates Williams and given a chance he's a piece the offense needs. Of course not having AFFLOLO from the "giddy up" as taken away our second best option. 7,884 posts gets KUDO'S from me. Lance Thomas has improved is shooting from last year but he in no way can play the 2 with AFFLOLO a natural there who can give us 17 points a game for which he's getting 8 million compared to 1 million plus for THOMAS. He has had no success until now because being a poor shooting SF.

Kiyaman

Legend
D.Will and Afflalo's team-defense or defensive-chemistry is very poor to be our 4th qtr closer player.
The two players are good uptempo running players that could score on a fast break.

We need players that could commit STOPS in the 4th qtr more than we need scoring-players in the 4th quarter .. So far we have 6 closer players in .. Lopez, Quinn, $124M man, Lance, Galloway, and Grant.