Donnie Walsh questions if MDA is right for Knicks; coach could bolt for Toronto

Yeah. I've grown more anti-D'Antoni as time has comes. But not for the "oh snap he can't coach defense cause he gives up 100 points!!!" rule.

He doesn't emphasize rebounding. He shoots too many 3's. He did a terrible job at developing our young players (AR, who in his first game with Minnesota proved that he was far better than D'Antoni thought). He doesn't make good use of big men. And he can't really coach in the half-court.

Basically - he doesn't seem to be able to coach without Steve Nash

Yeah Rick Adelman seems like an intriguing option as well. It was Tommy Dee of theknicksblog.com who mentioned a couple years back (IIRC it was D'Antoni's second year) that the Rockets' roster was about as bad as ours was and yet Adelman was playing them to the tune of a .500 record. I'm a fan of Mark Jackson myself. Ewing's an option but I don't know if he's ready to be a head coach yet. There's also the idea of trying to lure Jeff Van Gundy back into coaching, and of course there's dark horse Rick Pitino who might be inclined to leave Louisville after the embarrassing way his team was crushed by Morehead State

with all due respect, Phil Jackson apparently couldnt coach with out jordan or kobe or shaq, rudy tomjonovich couldnt coach with out olajuwan, mike brown couldnt coach with out lebron, pat riley couldnt coach with out magic johnson or ewing, greg popovich couldnt coach with out robinson or duncan, jerry sloan couldnt coach with out stockton malone or deron williams, lawrence frank couldnt coach with out kidd, scotty brooks cant coach with out westbrook or durant.

you cant say dantoni cant coach with out nash, because no coach is good with out great players,

where dantoni fails is utilizing the TYPE of players needed to win titles

what was a trend amongst those coaches I named above that made them big time winners

Phil jackson started john paxson and will perdue to win championships, guys who fit roles and stuck to those roles, he didnt look for a star at every position because he knew who the stars were

Jerry sloan started Ostertag at center, I mean if you look at the role players on those big time jazz teams, they were half as talented as our entire team, but they knew their roles and sloan was smart enough to play them.

Mike Brown, utilized guys like veraejo, and surrounded Lebron with big time defenders, where the cavs went wrong was bringing in a guy like antawn jameson who doesnt defend at all, and wants the ball to score; that screwed things up.

All in all, we need a guy who knows how to use the whole team to the best of their abilities, based on roles, not based on systems and who fits that system.

DAntoni runs a system, he doesnt coach a team.

has nothing to do with nash.

it has to do with the way the Team was utilized.

in pheonix Dantoni refused to utilize his team defensively, he only played scorers which caused the ruffle between him and steve kerr that brought about the downfall of the team.

New New York

Quiet Storm
OK....so Mike Dantoni trashes his coaching record by being The Knicks coach during a rebuilding period for 2 years.....he gets 2 All Star and a future Hall Of Famer and then Bolts to go coach Demar Derozen and Amir Johnson just as things are starting to look up. Not to mention moving to a much much smaller market

Frankly this is not going to happen! If it were The Lakers I would say yes there is a possibility

But lets be real here, we literally have more of a chance at landing a future All Star with the 17th pick and getting Dwight Howard or Chris Paul next summer than Dantoni leaving to go coach Toronto!

you mean you dont believe in a farewell hit that ?

im a strong man, and if my girls hot enough, even if i dont wanna be with her ill hook up with her until something better comes along.

think about that in terms of dantoni

unless something better is there to replace him, you gotta let this year ride out, because truthfully; every name coach out there is either under contract or unavailable, and I DO NOT

want to test the waters with mark jackson.

Nah I dont. That farewell hit can only lead to more drama.

Why do we have to target a name coach? We dont need Jackson, Adelman, POP or any of the retreads. Find an assistant that has had some success, that has put together a decent resume and roll with it. Look what Monty Williams did this past year. Thibs. Spoelstra isnt a house hold name either. But these cats are winning.

Get Bill Laimbeer in here before another team wises up and makes a play for him...

knicksin60

Starter
Mike D'antoni getting fired would be the biggest addition by subtraction for the Knickerbockers since the firing of Scott Layden.What I don't comprehend is why D'antoni wasn't fired after the Knicks were swept by Boston in the playoffs.I always said that the longer Donnie Walsh waits to rid the Knicks of D'antoni the more the window for the Knicks winning a championship will close for them.

Amar'e and Carmelo won't be in their prime forever and if D'antoni continues to coach the Knicks it will only prolong them from reaching the next level of championship status.Waiting for Amar'e and Carmelo to age into their 30's in order for the Knicks to bring in the right coach would be as dumb of a decision as Kevin Garnett being loyal to the T-Wolves in all those years that he was in Minnesota.

As I stated several times here before, If the Knicks' front office are still in this so called rebuilding process, they need to replace D'antoni with a coach who will teach Carmelo Anthony, Amar'e Stoudemire, Chancey Billups, Toney Douglas and others how to play as a unit on the defensive end of the court.I really think that the Knicks would be better off coachless than they would with D'antoni for one more year.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Funny how the artice says MOA could emerge as a candidate in TOR and then right after reporting that Colangelo wants an experienced coach and one with a "defensive-minded" perspective.

It's like the Daily News is taking shots as Dantoni. lol

:gony: 4 lifeeeee

moneyg

Starter
Funny how the artice says MOA could emerge as a candidate in TOR and then right after reporting that Colangelo wants an experienced coach and one with a "defensive-minded" perspective.

It's like the Daily News is taking shots as Dantoni. lol

:gony: 4 lifeeeee

funny stuff....goodbye O'antoni.....Walsh knows this.. cant wait to see how this plays out....